• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

South Park: TFBH "Game is Gold" Trailer

C4Lukins

still baffling to see all these people be okay with:

children being raped by aliens
a group of children being shrunk to explore the inside of a gay man's anus
a stupidly blatant gay stereotype being portrayed in the most offensive possible manner to that demographic

but then absolutely lose their shit when they show a fish.

cmon. if you're making fun of shit and pushing buttons, go all the way. Matt and Trey don't cherry pick which demo to go after.

Humor has no limits.

Children being raped by aliens:

Season 1, I think episode one. Cartman is abducted and shoots an entire satelite out of his ass. Oh so many children who have been violated relate to that moment and are reminded of the time that....

Children being shrunk to explore an anus: What part of that offends you?

I realize it is not an ideal situation, but it is a cartoon, and they are not promoting the shrinking of children in order to explore anuses. Again a dire situation for the characters, but it is not a promotion of such activities. As far as I know the South Park people do not premote such activities, and are not working towards the technology to make this happen. And the fact that a gay fictional anus is in play, it could have just as easily been any anus, male or female, gay or not gay.

The homosexual thing, not sure which example you are referring to. There are a ton of gay characters in South Park, the first being a dog.

And a gay fish... That is the one I cannot forgive, and I agree with you on. The idea that a fish could be gay, that is offensive to God and to every human that knows that all fish are not gay. Those fuckers!

Season 1, I think episode one. Cartman is abducted and shoots an entire satelite out of his ass. Oh so many children who have been violated relate to that moment and are reminded of the time that....

I realize it is not an ideal situation, but it is a cartoon, and they are not promoting the shrinking of children in order to explore anuses. Again a dire situation for the characters, but it is not a promotion of such activities. As far as I know the South Park people do not premotr such activities, and are not working towards the technology to make this happen. And the fact that a gay fictional anus is in play, it could have just as easily been any anus, male or female, gay or not gay.

The homosexual thing, not sure which example you are referring to. There are a ton of gay characters in South Park, the first being a dog.

And a gay fish... That is the one I cannot forgive, and I agree with you on. The idea that a fish could be gay, that is offensive to God and dilly to every human that knows that all fish are not gay. Those fuckers!

Who keeps bringing up “offensive” South Park? Ohh that’s right it’s the same people okay with racism that are trying to deflect. Continue on.

TannerDemoz

Who keeps bringing up “offensive” South Park? Ohh that’s right it’s the same people okay with racism that are trying to deflect. Continue on.

Mate, grow up. All you've done for the last couple of posts is imply that people who aren't that offended by the joke are 'okay with racism'. I get where you're coming from, but stop belittling people. It's Gaf.

Mate, grow up. All you've done for the last couple of posts is imply that people who aren't that offended by the joke are 'okay with racism'. I get where you're coming from, but stop belittling people. It's Gaf.

Mate, grow up and answer the question. Why are you okay with overt racist jokes? You have a thread with folks telling you it’s hurful.

C4Lukins

No one is actually engaging you in a conversation - you just want to be cool with racism. What is your argument here? Is it that mammy jokes are okay if everyone is upset by them - then they become funny? Before you get all high and mighty ask yourself - “why am I doing this”?

My guess is you’re feeling some type of way and rebelling against it. Hopefully.

This entire thread is trying to educate you. You don’t see that so it’s on you.

You are taking this way to far.

This has gone well past intelligent discussion, and into a realm where you are not only creating a narrative that does not exist, but taking my comments totally out of context in order to demonize me.

What a sad piece of nothing you must be to make a fun debate into this.

You are taking this way to far.

This has gone well past intelligent discussion, and into a realm where you are not only creating a narrative that does not exist, but taking my comments totally out of context in order to demonize me.

What a sad piece of nothing you must be to make a fun debate into this.

Yes a sad piece of nothing - ???

Keep defending racist shit - good on you. The beloved “all sides” South Park made a straight up racist joke and was called out. Enjoy your hill.

TannerDemoz

Mate, grow up and answer the question. Why are you okay with overt racist jokes? You have a thread with folks telling you it’s hurful.

It didn't actually hit me with what was being shown until I rewatched it and then read a Gaf thread on it. Does that mean I've got a skewed moral compass?

Implying that because I find that personally, this joke didn't bother me, suddenly means that I'm okay with overt, racist jokes? I get that people are hurt and offended by this - and I personally think it's actually pretty lame and off the mark as far as South Park humour goes - but who are you to suddenly start calling people out when South Park has a history of what are easily just as racist jokes (City Wok, Whaling episode, Mexicans, Cartman/Jews) just because you and others were offended by one in particular?

It doesn't make you a better person, it doesn't make the people who found the joke funny any shittier, and it doesn't give you the right to say what is and isn't right. It's probably worth nothing that South Park has previously been applauded for tackling poignant issues, in particular with its Jesse Jackson episode (s11 e1 worth a watch)

People aren't going to agree on this, but don't stand on your hill and expect people to justify themselves for finding a joke funny.

C4Lukins

Yes a sad piece of nothing - ???

Keep defending racist shit - good on you. The beloved “all sides” South Park made a straight up racist joke and was called out. Enjoy your hill.

You know you do not have to win the argument, we can just agree to disagree on this.

I really do not want to demonize you, and While we may disagree, there is no reason to accelerate our disagreement.

Peace, please?

Yeah that is totally true.. Very few people in this thread are listening to opposing arguments.

They either found it funny, and are ignoring opposing arguments, or they are offended by it, and again totally into being offended and ignoring the opposition.

I think there is a middle ground for discussion, but we are all so on edge. Nobody is willing to give an inch, or at the very least work towards a middle ground.

I guess it is just human history simplified.

Help me understand.

The majority of us are not offended by the joke about Kanye being a gay fish or making fun about the video game for his dead mother.

Now the part we are upset about is the portrayal of his mother as a minstrel/mammy charcter.

So are you saying you found the Minster/mammy portrayal of his mother funny?

C4Lukins

Help me understand.

The majority of us are not offended by the joke about Kanye being a gay fish or making fun about the video game for his dead mother.

Now the part we are upset about is the portrayal of his mother as a minstrel/mammy charcter.

So are you saying you found the Minster/mammy portrayal of his mother funny?

No I did not find it funny. I found the idea that the Mammy thing was applied to a fish, so silly that I did not laugh at it, but I did not find it offensive.

Either way, it does not matter that white male me was not offended.

But I always look at intent when it comes to comedy, and look at who presents it.

I give the South Park guys the benefit of the doubt.

How funny.

They brought back the super dated homophobic Kanye joke from 10+ years ago. Mixed it with a semen joke and then used it to make fun of Kanye's dead mom.

I think the older you get the more eye-rolling the "edgyness" of South Park becomes.

I dont think it's age that causes it to be more eye-rolling. It's just increasing weariness of "shock humor". You know, the kind so many idiotic online personas make a living from. They can collectively thank South Park, at least in part, for their making a living trading in mediocrity.

No I did not find it funny. I found the idea that the Mammy thing was applied to a fish, so silly that I did not laugh at it, but I did not find it offensive.

Either way, it does not matter that white male me was not offended.

But I always look at intent when it comes to comedy, and look at who presents it.

I give the South Park guys the benefit of the doubt.

So what was their intent in portraying his mother that way?

Trup1aya

I have no idea what they were going for,

She died during complications from plastic surgery
And if you die during unesaceey surgery...

If you die from plastic surgery, then you look and behave like a Reconstruction era racist archetype created in the bowels of White Supremecy?

Edit: you stealth edit than nonsense I see...

I have no idea.

What was Kanyes intent on building nude models of several people? Was it an artistic choice?

Not to side do any of those egomaniacs...

The nude models were close representations of the real life people. None of them were made to look in a bad light (i.e. making trump fatter, showing George Bush with a tiny penis....).

But why did Matt and Trey choose to depict Kanyes mother, a women who was an educator, who had no public persona and had never done anything to warrant any venom from them as a racist caricature?

C4Lukins

The nude models were close representations of the real life people. None of them were made to look in a bad light (i.e. making trump fatter, showing George Bush with a tiny penis....).

But why did Matt and Trey choose to depict Kanyes mother, a women who was an educator, who had no public persona and had never done anything to warrant any venom from them as a racist caricature?

I do not know.

I cannot speak for what is going through those dudes heads.

I can say that I never find them offensive.

I do not know.

So you have no empathy for those of us who are deeply offended to see this old form of racism, we once thought was done for brought back?

I mean we all know racism is still alive, but we were atleast able to say "atleast we dont have minstrel shows anymore.".

You cant even meet us halfway on this and say that there is no place for this, there is no comedy in this, its just mean spirited and done just to insult and offend?

You said earlier that no one was listening to each other in this thread.

I tried to break this down with you so you could either help me find the comedy in the potrail of his mother as a minstrel charcter. Or I would show you why it wasnt funny, and why its out of place and offensive. You were unable to point out the joke, but you're still unwilling to condemn it.

Real Hero

South Park is getting two very interesting reactions this week. The latest episode is really pissing of trump supporters then they release this as well getting an entirely different response. I have to say as someone who has always enjoyed south parks embrace of racial stereotypes like with Mr. Kim and the Japanese etc (while still totally understanding why they problematic), I've always found them funny because they are SO over the top its just funny however, as a fan since the start who still thinks the show is often fantastic this is the first time I've felt the racial humour specially has been so mean spirited and misguided.

So I don't really get those rhetorically asking 'what so this is what crosses the line???' because yeah to me this genuinely feels different to how they have done racial humour before and it's gotten mixed up with a personal attack making it even more strange. I don't think you have to be one of those morons who doesn't get south park and complains they love trump or something to have bad reaction to this, because as someone who loves 99% of south park this just doesn't sit right. I hope the full context of the games makes it bit more palatable but I doubt it.

d0g_bear

I realize it is not an ideal situation, but it is a cartoon, and they are not promoting the shrinking of children in order to explore anuses. Again a dire situation for the characters, but it is not a promotion of such activities. As far as I know the South Park people do not premote such activities, and are not working towards the technology to make this happen. And the fact that a gay fictional anus is in play, it could have just as easily been any anus, male or female, gay or not gay.

And a gay fish... That is the one I cannot forgive, and I agree with you on. The idea that a fish could be gay, that is offensive to God and to every human that knows that all fish are not gay. Those fuckers!

Technically, the anus is the aperture. The children were exploring the rectum and colon.

ajjow

Whats racist about the joke!? What i get from this is that they are making fun with kanye and the fact that the kardashians think they are super special people and everything that involves their family must be sacred.

So they took it to another direction showing that they are imoral. Thats not a message to black people and something racial. I understood this as: fuck off kanye, u are not special.

ajjow

And the joke is kanye west.
Make a game about your mother going to heaven!?

Trying to sell your mother death!?!! Really people!?!!

Perhaps take two seconds to read the thread to find out why people are """freaking out""" aka being critical of racism.

Dead mom jokes are fucked up. As for the fish, looks like a fish with red lipstick. Same voice as Chef's mother. I think their fuckup was not being smart enough to realize what the imagery looks like, especially considering US history.

Anime avatar and everything.

C'mon, use a little common sense. Read the thread.
I did not realize, while watching, there were racist jokes and imagery. The joke itself was inoffensive to me, and at the time it's all I saw people complaining about (skimming through the thread yesterday). I'm not okay with racism, never have been and never will be. I'm sorry if I came off that way.

BTA

still baffling to see all these people be okay with:

children being raped by aliens
a group of children being shrunk to explore the inside of a gay man's anus
a stupidly blatant gay stereotype being portrayed in the most offensive possible manner to that demographic

but then absolutely lose their shit when they show a fish.

cmon. if you're making fun of shit and pushing buttons, go all the way. Matt and Trey don't cherry pick which demo to go after.

Humor has no limits.

Hey dude.

Quick question.

When did all of us agree that we were all ok with that garbage? Because I certainly didn't. It is, in fact, also bad.

And yeah we know they don't cherry pick; almost like that's the problem because they kick people when they're already down for no reason. You have found part of the problem with South Park; congrats.

FelipeMGM

I never really cared for South Park but played Stick of Truth and thought it was an awesome game, a really great RPG, and Im excited for this sequel and the way they treated the difficulty slider and the transgender option were smart and showed they were going on a good direction

With that said, this video is bad, and the way they portrayed Kanye's mom, intentionally or not, is bad too and a bit disappointing overall

Holy shit that is not what the problem is. Read the thread before you come in with your hot take. Even just the past 3 pages.

Nillansan

It mostly is, you can't deny that. Problems are far larger in the US, you can't even trust your own police.

If you actually bothered to look into the matter, you would know that racist caricatures are quite prevalent throughout Europe, instead you simply choose to refuse that notion. I love how white Europeans tend to deem Europe mostly free of racism, get the fuck out of here, you don't know jack shit about racism until you are on the receiving end of that shit.

Helped you out there bud :)
Again, racism isn't new to SP. Everyone gets lampooned on the show. I'm Hispanic so trust me, I know. Remember the goobacks episode? How about the Pan Flute saga? Or how Mr Garrison consistently petitioned to the mayor to "get rid of all the Mexicans"?
My (and the person I was quoting) question was why is THIS suddenly the line where people are like "fuck this, pre-order canceled"?

You're the joke here if your hate of Kanye West blinds you to basic human empathy.

Christ almighty, I begin to see why people dislike juniors so much.

Zero315

Banned

I'm guessing you also had a problem with That Dragon, Cancer and other games that deal with real life tragedies?

So this website made a big deal about Pewdie but they think this ok and hilarious? That’s so hypocritical.

This is disgusting, they’re making fun of a dead woman and made her super black. And it’s a joke on a video game Kanye made for his daughter to honor his mom.

This is absolutely vile and I’m a South Park fan. Wow smh.

South Park is getting two very interesting reactions this week. The latest episode is really pissing of trump supporters then they release this as well getting an entirely different response. I have to say as someone who has always enjoyed south parks embrace of racial stereotypes like with Mr. Kim and the Japanese etc (while still totally understanding why they problematic), I've always found them funny because they are SO over the top its just funny however, as a fan since the start who still thinks the show is often fantastic this is the first time I've felt the racial humour specially has been so mean spirited and misguided.

So I don't really get those rhetorically asking 'what so this is what crosses the line???' because yeah to me this genuinely feels different to how they have done racial humour before and it's gotten mixed up with a personal attack making it even more strange. I don't think you have to be one of those morons who doesn't get south park and complains they love trump or something to have bad reaction to this, because as someone who loves 99% of south park this just doesn't sit right. I hope the full context of the games makes it bit more palatable but I doubt it.

Yeah this is different, this is twisted as hell :/

Again, racism isn't new to SP. Everyone gets lampooned on the show. I'm Hispanic so trust me, I know. Remember the goobacks episode? How about the Pan Flute saga? Or how Mr Garrison consistently petitioned to the mayor to "get rid of all the Mexicans"?
My (and the person I was quoting) question was why is THIS suddenly the line where people are like "fuck this, pre-order canceled"?
There's a difference between using racism to make a larger point or satirizing a figure and using racist imagery to insult a rapper's dead mother.

I don't watch South Park but iirc, the whole Garrison story arc last season was supposed to be a satiric take on Trump, right? What's the satire in making a caricature out of a rapper's beloved dead mother?

PrimeBeef

So you have no empathy for those of us who are deeply offended to see this old form of racism, we once thought was done for brought back?
You seem to have disconnect here. One can find it funny, understand why it is offensive and have empathy. I found it hilarious because it was so over the top. I know exactly why it can be offensive to some people. I also understand being offended so I can empathize with those who are.

That being said, we do not know the whole set up for this yet. There may be more to it that has a valid reason. Let's wait and see. If there isn't then valid criticism should be raised.

I liken this to WoW a bit. Data miners post all info of a new patch on the PTR or expansion alpha/beta build and people go fucking nuts over changes or additions before they know the whole story.

With this trailer, it looks bad on the surface. Let's just see how it pans out.

I don't watch South Park but iirc, the whole Garrison story arc last season was supposed to be a satiric take on Trump, right? What's the satire in making a caricature out of a rapper's beloved dead mother?

I think it more making fun of the game. It just happens to be about his mom. Imdirectly it does, but the point if the joke is more about funning Kanye and his game. At leat that is how I see it.

Nothing wrong with that really. 'That Dragon, Cancer' is a game about the developers son dying from cancer at 5 years old. It's no different than writing a song about the death of a loved one and selling it.

That said, I don't believe for a second that Kanye's game would be anything other than ridiculous and terrible. I don't think the subject matter makes it immune to ridicule either.

Well, this sucks. I loved Stick of Truth and I was going to buy this game, but this is terrible, and I can't support it. I get that they view hitting Kanye as punching up, but using racist imagery is punching down hard in a much more general way, and given current events, is even more heinous.

There's a difference between using racism to make a larger point or satirizing a figure and using racist imagery to insult a rapper's dead mother.

It's not about his mother; it's about the game.

Also, the Garrison thing I was referring to was from the original seasons. He hasn't begged the mayor to get rid of Mexicans for a while now.

Nothing wrong with that really. 'That Dragon, Cancer' is a game about the developers son dying from cancer at 5 years old. It's no different than writing a song about the death of a loved one and selling it.

That said, I don't believe for a second that Kanye's game would be anything other than ridiculous and terrible. I don't think the subject matter makes it immune to ridicule either.

Is That Dragon Cancer designed to be an endless runner? That's where the ridicule stems from.

I do not know.

Must be nice to never have to think critically about mass-produced racist caricature art and why it's another stone in the massive wall of imagery meant to dehumanize an entire class of people.

Permanently A

This is a very mean spirited trailer. I don't get any comedic value off making fun of someone's dead mother and dressing them up as a caricature.

You seem to have disconnect here. One can find it funny, understand why it is offensive and have empathy. I found it hilarious because it was so over the top. I know exactly why it can be offensive to some people. I also understand being offended so I can empathize with those who are.

That being said, we do not know the whole set up for this yet. There may be more to it that has a valid reason. Let's wait and see. If there isn't then valid criticism should be raised.

I liken this to WoW a bit. Data miners post all info of a new patch on the PTR or expansion alpha/beta build and people go fucking nuts over changes or additions before they know the whole story.

With this trailer, it looks bad on the surface. Let's just see how it pans out.

I think it more making fun of the game. It just happens to be about his mom. Imdirectly it does, but the point if the joke is more about funning Kanye and his game. At leat that is how I see it.

More to what? How is the minstrel show characterization of his mother funny?

PrimeBeef

More to what? How is the minstrel show characterization of his mother funny?
Usually when SP does things to this level there is a reason. I have no clue what it could be if there is one. That is why I said to wait and see before we jump to conclusions. It is possible they just hate Kanye something fierce and went after him too far. But again, we might not know the whole story yet.

Again not gonna lie, the voice was so over the top I got a laugh over it, and so did everyone I showed except 1 guy.

It's not about his mother; it's about the game.

Also, the Garrison thing I was referring to was from the original seasons. He hasn't begged the mayor to get rid of Mexicans for a while now.

Is That Dragon Cancer designed to be an endless runner? That's where the ridicule stems from.

The post I was responding to seemed outraged at the idea of monetising a family members death. I’m not sure you actually read my post or the one it was in response to.

Usually when SP does things to this level there is a reason. I have no clue what it could be if there is one. That is why I said to wait and see before we jump to conclusions. It is possible they just hate Kanye something fierce and went after him too far. But again, we might not know the whole story yet.

Again not gonna lie, the voice was so over the top I got a laugh over it, and so did everyone I showed except 1 guy.

How are they going to make portraying his mother as a racist caricature a joke. Unless your saying minstrel shows are a good time?

Top Bottom