• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

South Park: TFBH "Game is Gold" Trailer

C4Lukins

Gross post all around. I get your angle though.

Times change my bud (like you said 20 years) But I appreciate you mixing the Mohammed controversy into this new thing.

Overt, blatant, mean spirited racist humor isn’t funny. I understand you LOVE Southpark but stop trying to defend this one. Take the L.

I do not see it as mean spirited racial humor.

But that is the general argument. And I can only speak for myself as a Jewish American. And the major character in the show is an antisemite.

I am never offended because Cartman is the joke. He represents the ass hole in all of us. The opposite of right.

So that is my interperation of the show. None of their attacks on Jews have ever offended me.

I realize that aspects of my religion are silly, and I have a sense of humor when we are attacked by South Park.

And I realize that if I am not an African American, or a Mormon, or a Scientoligist, or a Transgender person, my opinion does not matter.

I just know that when South Park attacks the things I am into, I am able to have a sense of humour about it. I cannot tell everyone else that they should feel the same. But I guess I am not all that empathetic to people with thin skin, because I have no problem being the punchline of a joke.

But that is the general argument. And I can only speak for myself as a Jewish American. And the major character in the show is an antisemite.

I am never offended because Cartman is the joke. He represents the ass hole in all of us. The opposite of right.

So that is my interperation of the show. None of their attacks on Jews have ever offended me.

I realize that aspects of my religion are silly, and I have a sense of humor when we are attacked by South Park.

And I realize that if I am not an African American, or a Mormon, or a Scientoligist, or a Transgender person, my opinion does not matter.

I just know that when South Park attacks the things I am into, I am able to have a sense of humour about it. I cannot tell everyone else that they should feel the same. But I guess I am not all that empathetic to people with thin skin, because I have no problem being the punchline of a joke.

So when they do blatant racist stuff you realize it? You might not speak out against it but you recognize it? Are you saying because YOU are okay with it when it hits close to home that then everyone else should be okay with it?

Like what are you actually saying.

C4Lukins

So when they do blatant racist stuff you realize it? You might not speak out against it but you recognize it? Are you saying because YOU are okay with it when it hits close to home that then everyone else should be okay with it?

Like what are you actually saying.

No.

I think the humour of South Park is more sophisticated then people often give it credit for.

And I think I made a very specific point that the Jewish jokes do not have an impact on me, and I do not find them racist.

The character they use is almost always in the wrong, and the humor comes from how silly said character is.

Cartman represents everything that is wrong with people. He always does the opposite of what most people would consider to be right.

I think it is silly to take what is essentially the villian of the show, and pretend like that is the message of South Park.

The other major characters are always in constant opposition to Cartman.

KissVibes

Banned

Cartman is the joke because his character is an asshole bigot, that usually faces repercussions. We laugh at the absurdity and when he finally gets what's coming to him. He is the shitposter, the troll, that asshole kid we went to school with that quoted unfunny Opie and Anthony bits with Jim Norton during lunch. There's a cathartic feeling seeing him be the butt of the joke without actually realizing it.

What's the joke here with Donda West, though?

All I see is them making fun of a black man showing love and appreciation for a mother that loved and supported him, who died tragically, using a medium that he hasn't had any real involvement in to pay artistic tribute to her. Which he then wished to share with the world.

It isn't about thin skin. It's about the 'joke' being a mean-spirited jab at someone. You know how we can can tell its mean spirited? Because there is so much fucking more material to pull from in order to make fun of Kanye. His shoes, the near-disastrous launch of Pablo, his horrible clothing line, his marriage to a Kardashian, Taylor Swift, his outbursts, the list keeps going...

But what is the best that Trey Parker and Matt Stone can come up with? Well, Kanye West was working on a video game to show the world how he pictures his mother, an angel ascending to heaven. Oh and he said nobody wanted to make that game with him and he had a hard time finding a partner. Seeing as the game hasn't come out, I guess he wasn't too far off.

So they make fun of that and her. A mother that wasn't a celebrity but an english teacher, with racial imagery and the fucking mammy voice.

What a great fucking joke.

No.

I think the humour of South Park is more sophisticated then people often give it credit for.

And I think I made a very specific point that the Jewish jokes do not have an impact on me, and I do not find them racist.

The character they use is almost always in the wrong, and the humor comes from how silly said character is.

Cartman represents everything that is wrong with people. He always does the opposite of what most people would consider to be right.

I think it is silly to take what is essentially the villian of the show, and pretend like that is the message of South Park.

The other major characters are always in constant opposition to Cartman.

Who is seriously talking about nuanced Cartman in this thread? What’s sophisticated in that trailer? Lets make it easy. Are you okay with mammy jokes about dead mothers? Simple question

KRyPT

Neo Member
Cartman is the joke because his character is an asshole bigot, that usually faces repercussions. We laugh at the absurdity and when he finally gets what's coming to him. He is the shitposter, the troll, that asshole kid we went to school with that quoted unfunny Opie and Anthony bits with Jim Norton during lunch. There's a cathartic feeling seeing him be the butt of the joke without actually realizing it.

All I see is them making fun of a black man showing love and appreciation for a mother that loved and supported him, who died tragically, using a medium that he hasn't had any real involvement in to pay artistic tribute to her. Which he then wished to share with the world.

It isn't about thin skin. It's about the 'joke' being a mean-spirited jab at someone. You know how we can can tell its mean spirited? Because there is so much fucking more material to pull from in order to make fun of Kanye. His shoes, the near-disastrous launch of Pablo, his horrible clothing line, his marriage to a Kardashian, Taylor Swift, his outbursts, the list keeps going...

But what is the best that Trey Parker and Matt Stone can come up with? Well, Kanye West was working on a video game to show the world how he pictures his mother, an angel ascending to heaven. Oh and he said nobody wanted to make that game with him and he had a hard time finding a partner. Seeing as the game hasn't come out, I guess he wasn't too far off.

So they make fun of that and her. A mother that wasn't a celebrity but an english teacher, with racial imagery and the fucking mammy voice.

You sir, are absolutely correct!

I didn't find this funny but why should any topic be off limits? Whenever these topics come up I always think of patrice and his take on it

https://youtu.be/fjIuPSuYSOY

Not really wanting to argue with anyone offended by this, and no one can "disagree" with someone finding this offensive or not supporting this type of humor. Many of South parks jokes fall flat (especially the last handful of seasons) but they've had some good jokes hit too

C4Lukins

I am not saying it is a great joke.

Looking on it, I sort of find it funny because Kanye has done some awful stuff in bad taste. Recreating nude fake models of people and putting them in a music video was super gross.

He puts himself out there for ridicule, and is not a very sympathetic character when it comes to respecting boundaries of others.

This is a person who has dragged a lot of people's name through the mud, and not for the sake of parody.

At least with South Park it is done in a manner of producing comedy. It is not direct attacks aimed at individuals without any sense of irony in the way that Kanye often operates.

I didn't find this funny but why should any topic be off limits? Whenever these topics come up I always think of patrice and his take on it

https://youtu.be/fjIuPSuYSOY

Not really wanting to argue with anyone offended by this, and no one can "disagree" with someone finding this offensive or not supporting this type of humor. Many of South parks jokes fall flat (especially the last handful of seasons) but they've had some good jokes hit too

Damn FMT. Using a 10 year old publicity hound Patrice bit. You’re better than that.

RyanBankz

Neo Member

Nailed it.

RPGam3r

hqdefault.jpg

Can't wait for this game.

Ha! This response is criminally good.

C4Lukins

Who is seriously talking about nuanced Cartman in this thread? What’s sophisticated in that trailer? Lets make it easy. Are you okay with mammy jokes about dead mothers? Simple question

Yes I am okay with it because of how it was handled.

A mammy joke, with black face on a fish riding a farting unicorn into heaven, is so far past ridiculous that I have no problem with it.

And I totally understand how people could be offended by it.

But for me, the nature of it is beyond the bounds of reality that at some level it wraps around and becomes its own commentary. Putting black face on a fish, that is riding a unicorn farting it's way to heaven, is so silly that I cannot empathize with people who find it racist.

I do not mean to demean those that are legitametly offended. Be offended. This is the nature of debate.

If a major publisher pushes mean spirited overtly racist jokes about dead moms.... I’d hope everybody.

You want comedians to not tell overtly racist/mean jokes? What about sexist jokes? Religious jokes? Or do you mean you just don't want it in videogames? What about HBO or Netflix supporting a platform with these types of jokes?

Joke wasn't funny, and South Park has done a lot of offensive shit. I have no issue with people boycotting this product or sp or the publisher. Just not sure where people want the line drawn and I suppose that might be different from person to person

Opa-Pa

I thought it was fairly obvious that non black people "being okay" with racist humor that attacks black people doesn't mean shit, yet here we are.

You want comedians to not tell overtly racist/mean jokes? What about sexist jokes? Religious jokes? Or do you mean you just don't want it in videogames? What about HBO or Netflix supporting a platform with these types of jokes?

Joke wasn't funny, and South Park has done a lot of offensive shit. I have no issue with people boycotting this product or sp or the publisher. Just not sure where people want the line drawn and I suppose that might be different from person to person

No one is drawing a line. Stop exaggerating.

This joke involves two white millionaires punching down in mean spirited / racist way. I just don’t need that in my life. I know it’s wild but we don’t need to accept it.

I get it, you want all the funny racist stuff, but many people don’t want that cheap shit anymore. Earn it.

No one is drawing a line. Stop exaggerating.

This joke involves two white millionaires punching down in mean spirited / racist way. I just don’t need that in my life. I know it’s wild but we don’t need to accept it.

I get it, you want all the funny racist stuff, but many people don’t want that cheap shit anymore. Earn it.

Oh I agree with you it was tasteless. And you don't need to accept it. Nor does anyone else. My point was never I want every joke to be racist or that this was funny (to the contrary!)

But I'm not sure why this is off limits and other offensive things aren't. You didn't say you support those things, but my question is what would be acceptable? If a joke offends someone, is that acceptable and should it be tolerated?

Oh I agree with you it was tasteless. And you don't need to accept it. Nor does anyone else. My point was never I want every joke to be racist or that this was funny (to the contrary!)

But I'm not sure why this is off limits and other offensive things aren't. You didn't say you support those things, but my question is what would be acceptable? If a joke offends someone, is that acceptable and should it be tolerated?

My test for off limits on this one (cause I can use my brain) :

Clearly racist mammy joke about a dead mother = not funny in any context.

I thought it was fairly obvious that non black people "being okay" with racist humor that attacks black people doesn't mean shit, yet here we are.

South Park has a 20 year track record of making funny and unfunny jokes against and especially illustrations of Japanese, Chinese, Black people, Mexicans, Arabs, Israelis, Native Americans and Inuit. Not to mention their regular takes on religious beliefs and the LGBT community. That the show has no respect to deceased persons should be obvious as well after the Steve Irwin incident. It's not unprecedented.

What I don't get is some people being okay with that shit for 20 years but now that they make another one targeting a deceased black woman they say SP crossed a line.

If you like punching be prepared and ready to get a hit low down once in a while, if not stop punching.

My test for off limits on this one (cause I can use my brain) :

Clearly racist mammy joke about a dead mother = not funny in any context.

So off limits to you is all racism? Or racism coupled with someone who passed away? Not trying to give you a hard time, but if your litmus test is clear racism, what jokes do you deem appropriate to tell (whether they end up being funny or not)?

So off limits to you is all racism? Or racism coupled with someone who passed away? Not trying to give you a hard time, but if your litmus test is clear racism, what jokes do you deem appropriate to tell (whether they end up being funny or not)?

How about you just show me all the funny jokes about race from white people? Just the really funny stuff so I can be put in my place.

How about you just show me all the funny jokes about race from white people? Just the really funny stuff so I can be put in my place.

https://youtu.be/Dcr8dm9Prkk

Race related jokes cover a wide spectrum. Again, not trying to give you a hard time. My point was you can be offended and disgusted by a joke about anything. I just don't think any topic should automatically be off limits. Guess we will agree to disagree!

Ooccoo

I honestly did not know about Kanye's mom and loved the trailer. Reading about it does not change that. The voice is funny to me and the black face honestly was not what kept my attention. It is so ridiculous that I laughed at the whole concept.

https://youtu.be/Dcr8dm9Prkk

Race related jokes cover a wide spectrum. Again, not trying to give you a hard time. My point was you can be offended and disgusted by a joke about anything. I just don't think any topic should automatically be off limits. Guess we will agree to disagree!

Yes we will (but cordially?)

He’d roll over in his grave with that link attempting to justify. But for sure your take on race related jokes is seemingly very meaningful. Thanks.

Trup1aya

South Park has a 20 year track record of making funny and unfunny jokes against and especially illustrations of Japanese, Chinese, Black people, Mexicans, Arabs, Israelis, Native Americans and Inuit. Not to mention their regular takes on religious beliefs and the LGBT community. That the show has no respect to deceased persons should be obvious as well after the Steve Irwin incident. It's not unprecedented.

What I don't get is some people being okay with that shit for 20 years but now that they make another one targeting a deceased black woman they say SP crossed a line.

11 If you like punching be prepared and ready to get a hit under the waistline once in a while, if not stop punching.

I generally like south park, but i didn't find this joke funny, really. Making fun of Kanye is one thing, but i don't see how it's funny to make fun of how he grieved his mothers death. Beyond that, i dont understand why Donda West herself would become the butt of a joke.

Its not that she's black or deceased that makes her off limits. But unlike the gay fish, the caricature they created for her had nothing to do with her actual persona and was purely playing on racial stereotypes. Its lazy, and these guys are better than that.

I generally like south park, but i didn't find this joke funny, really. Making fun of Kanye is one thing, but i don't see how it's funny to make fun of how he grieved his mothers death. Beyond that, i dont understand why Donda West herself would become the butt of a joke.

Its not that she's black or deceased that makes her off limits. But unlike the gay fish, the caricature they created for her had nothing to do with her actual persona and was purely playing on racial stereotypes. Its lazy, and these guys are better than that.

Matt and Trey aren't really better than that. Throughout South parks run, the jokes have ranged from lame/bottom of the barrel to brilliant. I suspect this game will have the same type of hit and miss shit

C4Lukins

If you like punching be prepared and ready to get a hit under the waistline once in a while, if not stop punching.

This reminds me of the Shitty Wok character, which had very little subtility, and was introduced in the first few seasons, and at best it is a parody of Breakfest at Tiffanys era perception of Asians.

That I sort of get as being insensitive and not really justifying said character.

But now almost 20 years later, and the creators have honed their craft, and they no longer do those sort of stereotypes without an underlying explanation, it is odd that this particular video game trailer pushes it over the edge for some.

The show was either always racist and offensive, or it has been a clever commentary on society and the ridiculous extremes of society.

Or maybe it is both, and they get it wrong sometimes. But you cannot enjoy South Park when it is convienent for you.

Just because whatever your thing is enters their crosshairs for a moment in time, realize that they hit up everyone else as well.

They are not always right, but they are consistent. Anything that anyone is aggressively passionate about will be attacked at some point. When it finally hits you, and all of the sudden it is offensive and out of touch, you are the hypocrite.

studyguy

Straight up blackface. That's pretty fucked up. Why didn't they at least make her look like the other fish?

Nevermind the tasteless joke being dumb but damn.

If you like punching be prepared and ready to get a hit low down once in a while, if not stop punching.

Kanye defense force is the reason. Suddenly it's not ok because this is dEEp for Kanye and shit. I mean Steve Irwin was depicted with the ray's sting crossing his heart, ffs.

I generally like south park, but i didn't find this joke funny, really.

This is not about if the joke was funny or not - it was not - but that actually doesn't matter one bit, as there's no such thing as a funny racist joke.

This is about a racist and furthermore inadequate and offensive joke, and South Park has a well documented history of those, so I wonder why this one in particular makes people break with the show.

Opa-Pa

This is exactly why I consider South Park garbage though? I used to like it quite a lot when I was an ignorant teen, but the reason I and a lot of people get pissed by it more often nowadays is that both lots of us have matured to see how distasteful some of their jokes are, and society at large has come to realize that our media and own behavior are full of sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, etc shit, so naturally we're getting used to identify this stuff and call it out as well.

SP is all about being as offensive as possible supposedly without "crossing the line", but the thing is people at large are becoming less and less tolerant of legitimately offensive stuff, so their reaction to this content changes. 20 years ago it was commonplace to see people mock gay men on TV, now whenever it happens it gets backlash because we've become more decent human beings... Some of us anyway.

So yeah, I don't buy this excuse at all, it's too tired already.

Kanye defense force is the reason. Suddenly it's not ok because this is dEEp for Kanye and shit. I mean Steve Irwin was depicted with the ray's sting crossing his heart, ffs.

I don't even like Kanye myself and I can still see how this is fucked up though. Irwin's stuff was shitty too actually, but this is a different kind of shity because not only is it making fun of a deceased woman, but of the homage done for her by her son AND with racist crap added to it, come on.

Edit: By the way more people are up in arms about this one because it includes racism, and being against racism is like the most basic form of decency there is. Racism is one thing the majority of non terrible people will identify as unequivocally bad.

This is exactly why I consider South Park garbage though? I used to like it quite a lot when I was an ignorant teen, but the reason I and a lot of people get pissed by it more often nowadays is that both lots of us have matured to see how distasteful some of their jokes are, and society at large has come to realize that our media and own.

Your opinion on the show changed in the course of several years, so I assume you're not one of those who just cancelled their preorders. Hence my question does not target you or anyone else with a well-established mindset towards the show - positive or negative.

Yo fuck this game.

Fuck the people who singed off on that.

And fuck anyone trying to defend this shit.

Like all they had to do was make the mother fish green, but NOPE we gotta let you know what we really think.

Opa-Pa

Your opinion on the show changed in the course of several years, so I assume you're not one of those who just cancelled their preorders. Hence my question does not target you or anyone else with a well-established mindset towards the show - positive or negative.

Fair enough, I missed that part of your post, now I get it.

Still got to share my two cents, I guess!

Mutombo

Yo fuck this game.

Fuck the people who singed off on that.

And fuck anyone trying to defend this shit.

Like all they had to do was make the mother fish green, but NOPE we gotta let you know what we really think.

Jesus.

It seems we can only have Gamergaters on the one hand, and snowflakes on the other? Is there no middle ground possible where it's okay to laugh about (or okay to not laugh but also to not get so easily offended) about things?

Kanye started this; commodifying his dead mother by literally making a game about his mother's death. Once such a game is out in the open; it's out there to get played, it's out there to get criticized, and it's out there to be made fun of. If you didn't want others to get entertained by your mother's death, don't make a fucking video game about it.

As for making it better by not making it a black fish? Is this really still an issue with Trey and Matt? Seriously? They've been going at human stupidity for 20 years now. Surely their agenda must seem at least a bit progressive by now?

Many people have just flat out called South Park racist and bigoted in the past and gotten jumped on for daring to be so cruel to Parker and Stone.

Jesus.

It seems we can only have Gamergaters on the one hand, and snowflakes on the other? Is there no middle ground possible where it's okay to laugh about (or okay to not laugh but also to not get so easily offended) about things?

Kanye started this; commodifying his dead mother by literally making a game about his mother's death. Once such a game is out in the open; it's out there to get played, it's out there to get criticized, and it's out there to be made fun of. If you didn't want others to get entertained by your mother's death, don't make a fucking video game about it.

As for making it better by not making it a black fish? Is this really still an issue with Trey and Matt? Seriously? They've been going at human stupidity for 20 years now. Surely their agenda must seem at least a bit progressive by now?

boogie2988_middle_by_digi_matrix-db3h3ud.gif

You two would probably get along pretty well.

Jesus.

It's literally Blackface minstrel racism iconography.

Also maybe don't use snowflake

Top Bottom