• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

South Park: TFBH "Game is Gold" Trailer

- He was hospitalized last year for what was well reported as a mental health episode

- Well-known history of public meltdowns, odd rants, and other 'outbursts'

- Postings on his now defunct twitter account often indicated some sort of mental health issue

- He is/was was working with his insurance company to cover the costs associated with the cancellation of his tour promoting his last album, on the basis that he had mental health issues and they were aware of the risks and liabilities.

- Kanye also has several songs where he speaks about the different medications he's taking, such as Lexapro. He also talks about having a psychiatrist too in several songs.

And as a personal aside, his behaviour and publically known issues line up with mine fairly well. I have diagnoses for mental health issues and less than a year ago spent time in a facility to help me deal with said issues. So I feel fairly comfortable with saying he has mental health struggles.

Take all this as you may.

Thanks. Thought some of the “crazy Kanye” stuff was him being in an attention grabbing character. Hope he’s getting the help he needs then, didnt know about most of that stuff and thought people were self diagnosing him

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member
How the fuck did their marketing department okay this?

Extremely distasteful. They can FOH with that mammy shit

Vamphuntr

There is good news today.

And that good news is that Obsidian did not work on the South Park video game sequel.

There was a ton offending stuff in the first game too. It's just people are selective with their indignation. South Park was always vulgar and offensive and this "joke" in the trailer is no different.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
I'm a South Park fan, but insulting the guy's dead mother is too far, and not even funny.

Zeta Oni

There was a ton offending stuff in the first game too. It's just people are selective with their indignation. South Park was always vulgar and offensive and this "joke" in the trailer is no different.

Except there's several pages in this very thread that explain what's wrong with it, even from fans of the series, but I guess reading is too much work when there's a cartoon to defend.

Can't believe I wake up and these half assed arguments are still being made.

L Thammy

Guess some of us in here are just a bunch of overly-sensitive "Social Justice Warriors" for not being particularly okay with the use of minstrelsy black face, huh?

People have been asking for safe space from blackface since the before the Civil War, it's really sad that they still can't just move on. /s

Linkura

Except there's several pages in this very thread that explain what's wrong with it, even from fans of the series, but I guess reading is too much work when there's a cartoon to defend.

I'm not surprised in the least tbh. People just keep digging.

Vamphuntr

I've skimmed through the thread but didn't read it fully for sure. I'm just wondering what people expected. The last game had you fighting and killing aborted babies form the Kardashian and explore the ass of a gay man dressed as a slave that shoved stuff up his ass including animals. This is coming from a show that made fun of Steve Irwin being killed by a stingray just after his death. I'm not arguing this joke is okay, far from it but the whole panic mode going on here is funny since the show has been like that for years. It's vulgar and crass toilet humor. Ubisoft knew very well what they were into when they've signed twice for the games. So did Obsidian when they've made the last one.

And first trailer that finally has been dub to all the countires that are going to have the game dubbed.

Nice to see the spanish one.

Would actually rebuy The Stick of Truth if it had a spanish dub patch.

Opa-Pa

GAF can be pretty stupid and backwards at times, but I still consider it a place where most people have the most basic level of common sense and decency at the very least.

Which is to say, I legitimately never expected to see a thread with people defending fucking blackface of all things. Absolutely disgusting.

Did you defend Jynx's original design too? What the shit, man.

Zeta Oni

I've skimmed through the thread but didn't read it fully for sure. I'm just wondering what people expected. The last game had you fighting and killing aborted babies form the Kardashian and explore the ass of a gay man dressed as a slave that shoved stuff up his ass including animals. This is coming from a show that made fun of Steve Irwin being killed by a stingray just after his death. I'm not arguing this joke is okay, far from it but the whole panic mode going on here is funny since the show has been like that for years. It's vulgar and crass toilet humor. Ubisoft knew very well what they were into when they've signed twice for the games. So did Obsidian when they've made the last one.

There's nothing humorous here.

But please, tell me what everyone else has failed time and time again to answer:

What is the joke in representing Donda West that way?

And I'm gonna say her name everytime, just so we don't forget we are talking about a human being and not a purely fictional character.

Just so we don't forget we are talking about someone's dead mom.

What's the humor here?

Where is the punch line?

Opa-Pa

There's nothing humorous here.

But please, tell me what everyone else has failed time and time again to answer:

What is the joke in representing Donda West that way?

And I'm gonna say her name everytime, just so we don't forget we are talking about a human being and not a purely fictional character.

Just so we don't forget we are talking about someone's dead mom.

What's the humor here?

Where is the punch line?

It's Satire™

Hollycat

I know south park does racist stuff all the time for comedy but this just felt mean. Kanyes mom didnt do anything to them and this wasnt really a joke besides kanye being a gay fish whos mom died.

I still want to play this game but I'm torn. This seems to be a little more malicious than most of the stereotype stuff they do normally. I can understand the perspective that theyre parodying kanye making a game out his mom but it doesn't feel right. I'm torn on whether or not to cancel my preorder.

PeterGAF

Banned
How funny.

They brought back the super dated homophobic Kanye joke from 10+ years ago. Mixed it with a semen joke and then used it to make fun of Kanye's dead mom.

I think the older you get the more eye-rolling the "edgyness" of South Park becomes.
Lighten up

L Thammy

:/ if something is fucked up can we not call it out without being labled as a "SJW?" Smh at some of y'all in this thread trying to rationalize this when you have countless people coming in here and explaining why its wrong. Like, open your eyes...

Calling "safe spaces" it a rationalization is giving it too much credit when it isn't even touching the questionable content. It's just trying to shut down the complaint.

Lighten up

Grow up.

Kuraudo

Banned
I have no idea why anyone thought this trailer was a good piece of marketing. The single piece of gameplay is a Flappy Bird minigame. Of all the things that can satirised in gaming, the target is a piece of vapourware that nobody remembers. Then to top it off there's an incredibly problematic racial stereotype.

I really cannot fathom how a marketing department thought "yes, this is the segment of game we want to highlight".

PeterGAF

Banned
Yeah! The Mammy is hilarious. Don't know why people are so upset about blackface. Next they're gonna say racism is bad or something!
Well

1) the post I quoted made no reference to black face. The post I quoted simply was upset about a gay fish joke and a joke about a game Kanye made. Calling the gay fish joke homophobic is a huge stretch and getting upset at making fun of a game Kanye made is a little heavy. I stand by my statement. Lighten up.

2) I'm just now seeing the slew of comments complaining about blackface in the trailer. It didn't even stand out to me when I saw it and while I can see what you're all getting at now that you've pointed it out I think that's kind of a stretch too. It's a fish wearing lipstick, you knoow, because it's a girl. Maybe a bad idea making the color of the fish black but again I think the connection is a huge reach.

L Thammy

Want to elaborate?

Sure.

Comedy can be questioned and criticized. It's still spreading ideas like any other form of speech, and can be evaluated as any other form of speech can. Telling someone who is critical of it to "lighten up" is simply a way of shutting them up because you don't like the complaint.

A lot of people like stuff like South Park not because of the value of the satire, but because it allows them to enjoy racism, homophobia and the like without worrying about people questioning them. People don't like questioning that they might be bad people, or that they're racist, even when they'll gladly and knowingly do the things that make them into bad people or racists. They shouldn't, but those levels of self-reflection and responsibility are hard.

So you've got people who see something like the mammy fish and, regardless of whether they can think of a reason why it's appropriate or not, feel the need to shut down the conversation or attack the critics. Because criticism is a threat to their enjoyment, and that's more important to them than the harm being done to others.

Opa-Pa

Looking forward to the launch trailer showing the same fish eating a watermelon and some dumbass in the thread telling people to not take it too seriously.

Well

1) the post I quoted made no reference to black face. The post I quoted simply was upset about a gay fish joke and a joke about a game Kanye made. Calling the gay fish joke homophobic is a huge stretch and getting upset at making fun of a game Kanye made is a little harsh. I stand by my statement. Lighten up.

2) I'm just now seeing the slew of comments complaining about blackface in the trailer. It didn't even stand out to me when I saw it and while I can see what you're all getting at now that you've pointed it out I think that's kind of a stretch too. It's a fish wearing lipstick, you knoow, because it's a girl. Maybe a bad idea making the color of the fish black but again I think the connection is a huge reach.
Predictable as fuck.

Well

1) the post I quoted made no reference to black face. The post I quoted simply was upset about a gay fish joke and a joke about a game Kanye made. Calling the gay fish joke homophobic is a huge stretch and getting upset at making fun of a game Kanye made is a little harsh. I stand by my statement. Lighten up.

The pics look almost identical as the Mammy seen on Page 7 and Kanye's green so it's not like they couldn't of picked a different color. But they choose black with the big red lips, giant eyes, and bulbous earrings. All stuff not there with the Kanye fish.

PeterGAF

Banned
Telling people identifying racism as racism to lighten up because it makes you feel uncomfortable about the inference indicates a selfishness and immaturity regarding how to cope with racism.
Literally nothing in the post I quoted menthoned racism. Maybe you should give it another read. So instead of making assumptions about my maturity and how I feel on a subject I didn't even comment on maybe you should focus on not jumping to conclusions.

Literally nothing in the post I quoted menthoned racism. Maybe you should give it another read. So instead of making assumptions about my maturity and how I feel on a subject I didn't even comment on maybe you should focus on not jumping to conclusions.

Understood. The user you quoted did a better job explaining anyway. I'll delete.

Murkas

GAF can be pretty stupid and backwards at times, but I still consider it a place where most people have the most basic level of common sense and decency at the very least.

Which is to say, I legitimately never expected to see a thread with people defending fucking blackface of all things. Absolutely disgusting.

Did you defend Jynx's original design too? What the shit, man.

Guess you ain't been in those Zwarte Piet threads!

In regards to the trailer, it just wasn't funny, the "hurr durr your gay flipper" I guess if you're an immature high schooler, but putting in a dead woman and making her some mammy minstrel? Where's the humour there? Is it even a racist joke? Racist jokes at least have a punchline right? What's the punchline here?

PeterGAF

Banned
Just out of curiousity, is there some issue you have with receiving 2-3 word posts? I find it funny that you're asking people to elaborate whenever they post one when you thought "lighten up" was acceptable.
I've elaborated as well. I probably should have put more into my first post. But we're having a discussion now. Do you have a problem with me digging for more? If he/she chooses not to elaborate then fine they don't have to I don't care.

But in this case calling my post "predictable" leaves a lot more up in the air and I'd like to know what he/she meant by it. Same about yours telling me to "grow up"

L Thammy

"It's a coincidence " for a clear cut case of mammy iconography has been burped out like fifty times by now.

Maybe I should repost this:

What I don't get is how you can live in the US and think someone in North America can just accidentally make a mammy character image and not notice it when these stereotypes were a huge part of American popular culture for, what, 200 years? It's a highly recognizable image.

Code:
][img]https://abload.de/img/6175jem6pml._sy344_boesz67.jpg[/img]

[IMG]https://abload.de/img/yeax9.png[/IMG]

[IMG]https://abload.de/img/fyy5n.png[/IMG]

[IMG]https://abload.de/img/aunt-jemima-20oa8k.jpg[/IMG]

Top Bottom