• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

South Park: TFBH "Game is Gold" Trailer

PeterGAF

Banned
"It's a coincidence " for a clear cut case of mammy iconography has been burped out like fifty times by now.
Fair enough. I didn't read the whole thread. I'd say I'm leaning less on coincidence argument and more on the "look at the Kanye fish, it's literally that with earings and makeup," but regardless I agree it was dumb to make the fish black. They should have just made it the same color or a similar color as the Kanye fish.

Id also like to reiterate that my first post telling someone to "lighten up" didn't reference racism at all. I didn't even know that was a connection people made until after people started inferring that I didn't care about racism.

L Thammy

Fair enough. I didn't read the whole thread. I'd say I'm leaning less on coincidence argument and more on the "look at the Kanye fish, it's literally that with earings and makeup," but regardless I agree it was dumb to make the fish black. They should have just made it the same color or a similar color as the Kanye fish.

So you're not leaning on the coincidence argument, you're now leaning on the "they just changed a bunch of things that made the fish into a mammy without realizing that they made it into a mammy" argument? What's the difference between the two?

PeterGAF

Banned
So you're not leaning on the coincidence argument, you're now leaning on the "they just changed a bunch of things that made the fish into a mammy without realizing that they made it into a mammy" argument? What's the difference between the two?
Call my argument whatever you want. It's semantics at this point and all that matters is I agree the fish should have been a different color.

L Thammy

Call my argument whatever you want. It's semantics at this point and all that matters is I agree the fish should have been a different color.

I'm saying that either way you've described it (which aren't significantly different to begin with - that's why it's just semantics) denies that knowingly and intentionally made the character into an ethnic stereotype, which is extremely unlikely.

Zach

Progress!

I'm serious. I'm happy see someone go from

Maybe a bad idea making the color of the fish black but again I think the connection is a huge reach.

to

I agree the fish should have been a different color.

It's tiny, but it's something, man. It's something.

Hollycat

I just cancelled my preorder. Everything else they've pulled ive been fine with but I dont want to try and justify this one. Its a cruel racist joke, and I won't participate in it.

L Thammy

You know, I do kind of get it. Maybe the guys who made a character named Token Black just don't have the familiarity with stereotypes to recognize when they made a mammy. It would be kind of strange if those people and those people specifically would notice.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.

Id also like to reiterate that my first post telling someone to "lighten up" didn't reference racism at all. I didn't even know that was a connection people made until after people started inferring that I didn't care about racism.

Lighten up is a flippant dismissive response with zero thought put into it.

And naw I'm good. I don't feel the need to lighten up regarding edge Lord mean spirited 'jokes' aimed at lowest common denominator jokes aimed at minority groups.

Speaking of Sea-Man, it completely flew over my head that the theme of this game lends itself to the return of the Superbest Friends. Maybe with Muhammad this time.

NoKisum

Just saw episode 2, thought it was incredible. Last season was terrible though.
I blame the election. The season clearly had a specific story set up for itself. But considering the show usually reflects real world events, they had to change the last three episodes on the fly, making the ending unrewarding.

TannerDemoz

I blame the election. The season clearly had a specific story set up for itself. But considering the show usually reflects real world events, they had to change the last three episodes on the fly, making the ending unrewarding.

Yeah, it felt really messy. I remember watching an interview with them saying how it was becoming increasingly difficult to parody someone who's a walking joke. Be interesting to see if Trump/Garrison makes it into the game – I wonder if the delays presented any opportunity for new jokes to be added in line with current political happenings.

ChazGW7

Didn't even notice the minstrelsy until I read through this thread. Trailer was funny before, not as funny now. Sad.

All 3 previous seasons had crap finales though (god, I just hope Pewdiepie isn't in this game). And I didn't really see a difference in quality. It was meh like anything post season 10 - excluding Stick of Truth, which was the best they've been since the classic episodes. Though unlike the other meh seasons, I at least liked the new characters they build up like PC principal and memberries - at least before they went absolutely nowhere in each finale.

L Thammy

Over 5 million sales for the stick of truth. So deal with it bud, it's going to sell a lot again, regardless of a few tears over this controversial joke.

Were you not able to find something in the past seven pages that would let you gloat about how little you care about racism?

That was awesome. Loved the last part, "hey what the fuck is that supposed to mean!".

Never played the original, gonna play through it now. Wonder if it's cheaper digital or used, hmmmm.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
That was awesome. Loved the last part, "hey what the fuck is that supposed to mean!".

Never played the original, gonna play through it now. Wonder if it's cheaper digital or used, hmmmm.

If you intend to buy Fractured, you can pre-order it and get a digital copy of Stick of Truth. Physical = code in a box, digital = instant access.

Edit: B10.

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
Thought it was pretty funny. The seaman joke is pretty common in the Navy and got a chuckle out me. Can't wait for the final game.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
lol if you come into a South Park thread prepare to be offended and/or shocked.

if you don't find it funny or enjoyable then don't buy it.

never change South Park.

Gonna preorder a few copies just because some of you cancelled.

Yup.

Wasting money because some people dislike something.

Some of you never fail to amaze me.

never change South Park.

So what you're basically saying is "like it or shut the fuck up?"

Hootie

Loved TSOT, can't wait to play this! Definitely not plopping down an extra $30 on a season pass that has absolutely no details yet though.

120v

i really think they just wanted to riff on that stupid mobile game and tried to make it look as similar as possible... but with a fish. rather than going for some mammy angle

it is unfortunate it came out like that though

never change South Park.

I do find South Park funny. I find it funny as hell. And the more offensive, the better. Here's the thing:

When South Park invoked racist/shocking imagery, they did so for the sake of something clever or intelligent. There was a commentary or subtext behind it almost every time.

Take City Wok's owner, who started as a parody of Breakfast at Tiffany's before becoming a character with actual heart and motivation. Or Big Gay Al who embodied gay stereotypes in order to show that stereotypes don't make a person less of a person.

All they're giving us "Look at Kanye's Mammy-ass Mammy. Lol." There's nothing funny here. It's just an insult combined with a racial imagery. Matt and Trey are better than this bullshit. We've all seen it in countless seasons. Defending this joke is defending garbage comedy for the sake of a mission statement that's shakey at best in execution.

Daffy Duck

Cartman is the joke because his character is an asshole bigot, that usually faces repercussions. We laugh at the absurdity and when he finally gets what's coming to him. He is the shitposter, the troll, that asshole kid we went to school with that quoted unfunny Opie and Anthony bits with Jim Norton during lunch. There's a cathartic feeling seeing him be the butt of the joke without actually realizing it.

What's the joke here with Donda West, though?

All I see is them making fun of a black man showing love and appreciation for a mother that loved and supported him, who died tragically, using a medium that he hasn't had any real involvement in to pay artistic tribute to her. Which he then wished to share with the world.

It isn't about thin skin. It's about the 'joke' being a mean-spirited jab at someone. You know how we can can tell its mean spirited? Because there is so much fucking more material to pull from in order to make fun of Kanye. His shoes, the near-disastrous launch of Pablo, his horrible clothing line, his marriage to a Kardashian, Taylor Swift, his outbursts, the list keeps going...

But what is the best that Trey Parker and Matt Stone can come up with? Well, Kanye West was working on a video game to show the world how he pictures his mother, an angel ascending to heaven. Oh and he said nobody wanted to make that game with him and he had a hard time finding a partner. Seeing as the game hasn't come out, I guess he wasn't too far off.

So they make fun of that and her. A mother that wasn't a celebrity but an english teacher, with racial imagery and the fucking mammy voice.

What a great fucking joke.

I had no idea that’s what it was about.

That’s disgusting!

Kildrek

No you're not.

Correct, I'm not.

I figured the "yup" at the end would have made that very clear to others.

And as much as my potentially purchasing extra copies would have meant nothing to sales, such is the same with these individuals claiming this one joke set them off and they now refuse to purchase it.

Okay, I will.

Lmfao, okay, I never said that. Keep shitting on people for liking something you don't, and turning it into a pissing contest.

Spit it out if you got something to say. Lol
Sure you didn't.
It was funny, to some people. We get it, youre virtue signaling is top notch and anyone who laughs at edgy comedy is the lesser.

How close are you to turning this thread into a graveyard for people enjoying this type of comedy?
You poor victim. I'll make sure to send a request letter to the ACLU on your behalf.

Do all South Park fans have such a victim complex?

Zeta Oni

If all they did was make racist jokes about black people, I'd be right there on the boycott line with everyone.

But since they alienate everyone, I'm down.

You can stop beating around the bush and just admit you find racist shit funny and have no proper defense for the "joke".

None of you posting shit like this, which is every page btw, still has yet to explain what's so funny.

Top Bottom