• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SpaceX Falcon 9 Return to Flight: Iridium NEXT Mission 1 launch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jezbollah

spacex-iridium1-large.jpg

Hi all. SpaceX's Falcon 9 is scheduled to launch today at 09:54:39 PST (17:54:39 UTC) today. This is the Return To Flight mission for Falcon 9 ever since it's AMOS-6 static fire anomaly back in September.

What is the mission?

Falcon 9 v1.2 will launch from Vandenberg Air Force Base pad SLC-4E in the first of 7 launches for Iridium, each launch sending 10 860kg satellites into a sun-synchronous, polar orbit. The 70 satellites, which form a $492m contract between Iridium and SpaceX will see introduction of a next generation communications network.

What has changed this time?

Well, SpaceX, the US Air Force and the FAA have reported their findings in the AMOS-6 static fire incident, and have determined an alternative process in which they load helium into the second stage of Falcon 9, which should eliminate the possibility of a repeat incident until a future redesign fixes the cause on a permanent basis, so it should not happen again. Remember, Space is never easy..

Is there going to be an attempted first stage landing?

Yes! The drone ship based on the west coast is called Just Read The Instructions, and it will be located 371km downrange in an attempt to recover the first stage. Last time around it came so close to capturing JASON-3, unfortunately one of the landing legs failed to latch :(

Where can I watch the launch?

As usual, you can watch SpaceX's coverage on Youtube with the Hosted Webcast or the Technical Webcast.

EDIT: TOTAL MISSION SUCCESS! First stage landing on Just Read The Instructions and nominal satellite deployment.

Nice footage of the landing from onboard cameras HERE

Jezbollah

Current status: 60% Go on weather for today, T-45 minutes until launch, fuel loading is currently going on.

Orbis

Best of luck to them today, hoping to see a successful launch.

Good to see also that they are confident of the cause of the explosion and have made changes to avoid it in future, I hadn't seen that update.

DrEvil

not a medical professional
"the ten satellites are equivalent to the weight of four Shaquille O'Neals"

I have to bet that she was dared to somehow include Shaq in her speech.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
First-stage cam is mesmerizing.

Jezbollah

They had footage of it recently in other launches, but not this much footage.

That first stage is dropping so damn quickly.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Holy shit that first-stage cam was something else!

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I'm still doubtful about the whole idea of re-using boosters. It seems unlikely that the things could be re-used nearly integrally more than once or twice at best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom