• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SpaceX Falcon 9 Return to Flight: Iridium NEXT Mission 1 launch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone got a quick vid of the launch and landing I can show to friends and family? I missed it.

I hope you're being facetious, as there's a team of hundreds of people working on these launches.

Absolutely. There is a unbelivable team of genius and persistent people behind him. All of them succeeded in their goals and the result is ultimate success !

Im very proud and happy as a fellow engineer and as species.

Oh goddammit, I've been looking forward to this all month, and then I completely forgot it was today. -_-

Very happy with the result, though. Congrats SpaceX!

krang

So pleased for them. I saw the irl footage on NatGeo's 'Mars' where the SpaceX team were watching an earlier failed launch, and you could see how much of a gut punch it was - some of them in tears.

I hope the Falcon Heavy and crewed launch schedules are severely affected.

The are a few cool milestones that may well occur this year for SpaceX, beyond just their manifest ripping by at a clip:

- The reuse of a Dragon capsule that's already been to the ISS.
- a propulsive landing of a Dragon capsule that's been at the ISS (this would be absolutely amazing to see).
- the reuse of a previously launched F9 first stage.
- The first launch of a falcon heavy.

All, none or some of these could happen this year. Exciting!

Jezbollah

The are a few cool milestones that may well occur this year for SpaceX, beyond just their manifest ripping by at a clip:

- The reuse of a Dragon capsule that's already been to the ISS.
- a propulsive landing of a Dragon capsule that's been at the ISS (this would be absolutely amazing to see).
- the reuse of a previously launched F9 first stage.
- The first launch of a falcon heavy.

All, none or some of these could happen this year. Exciting!

I suspect that three of the four may be achievable this year - the Dragon propulsive landing will likely not happen until mid 2018 - they need to test Crew Dragon in space to certify it first of all (I think there are two missions to do that) and those missions will have landing via water.

cebri.one

The beginning of (i hope) a great year for SpaceX:

- 24 launches
- Falcon Heavy debut.
- Test of Crew Dragon
- Fly a reused booster.

cebri.one

I'm still doubtful about the whole idea of re-using boosters. It seems unlikely that the things could be re-used nearly integrally more than once or twice at best.

They fully tested the JCSAT 8 times with no refurbishment, and this was by far the core that suffered the most stress.

Right now they are expecting to use each core 2-3 times max. But with the new block 5 coming this year they expect to use them at least 10 times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom