• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SpaceX successfully land rocket vertically

Status
Not open for further replies.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Once again Musk is far ahead of the competition. I hope competitors can catch up, it would accelerate the space exploration so much.

I hope so too. I'm rooting for all of SpaceX, Blue Origin, Arianespace, and whoever else is in the market, to push each other to become better.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
So, I'm guessing you're not using medicine to treat them, cause that would be hypocritical of you.

Science is the only discipline known to man to systematically make the world a better place.
That's arguable, but even if you're 100% right about the discipline thing, Im still just not that into it. It's cool if you are, no biggie. I'm just real real lukewarm on science if you know what I mean.

E-Cat

That's arguable, but even if you're 100% right, Im still just not that into it. It's cool if you are, no biggie. I'm just real real lukewarm on science if you know what I mean.
No, I don't "know what you mean".

I'm guessing you're not using medicine to treat your medical conditions, cause that would be hypocritical of you, huh?

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
No, I don't "know what you mean".

I'm guessing you're not using medicine to treat your medical conditions, cause that would be hypocritical of you, huh?
Of course I use medicine. Since when have you had to cheerlead for science as a requisite for using medicine? Just not interesting to me, I'm real lukewarm on the whole thing, man. You can like scientistz and I'll like different stuff that I think is cooler and the world will still turn, you know? Just real lukewarm.

E-Cat

Of course I use medicine. Since when have you had to cheerlead for science as a requisite for using medicine? Just not interesting to me, I'm real lukewarm on the whole thing, man. You can like scientistz and I'll like different stuff that I think is cooler and the world will still turn, you know? Just real lukewarm.
I guess you're just too street for it, lol.

Your lukewarm position just caught me off guard, is all. Being pro-science, if not a cheerleader, is the default position as far as I'm concerned. Say something to the contrary and, well, I immediately think there's something deeply wrong with your thinking.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
It's all good I just like cars and girlz instead

Has Musk explained why he assign his Historic Rockets these generic names like Falcon and Red Dragon?
How is it any better or worse than Delta, Atlas, Vega etc. Less pretentious, therefore not as cool?

Edit: on 2nd thought those names ARE cooler.

Robotguy

Has Musk explained why he assign his Historic Rockets these generic names like Falcon and Red Dragon?
The rockets are named Falcon after the Millennium Falcon.
The thrusters are named for types of Falcons.
I don't know where the Dragon naming scheme is from.

cameron

The helicopter view of the landing is pretty neat. Boeing and co. aren't going to be happy.
Still blows my mind. Tell me that's not impressive.

The rockets are named Falcon after the Millennium Falcon.
The thrusters are named for types of Falcons.
I don't know where the Dragon naming scheme is from.
Musk has drawn inspiration for names from sci-fi before. For example, he named the company's rockets after the Millennium Falcon, Han Solo's spaceship in the "Star Wars" films. Dragon, meanwhile, got its moniker from "Puff the Magic Dragon," the 1963 hit song by the folk group Peter, Paul and Mary. (Musk has said he chose the name because many critics deemed SpaceX's ambitious goals impossible when he founded the company in 2002.)
http://www.space.com/28445-spacex-elon-musk-drone-ships-names.html

If only it weren't a binary choice...

CSCqzIfU8AATksf.jpg

Zultan

Banned
Not that I doubt you guys but if it is all pros and zero cons why wasn't it achieved by NASA earlier?

Cost was never really too much of a concern for NASA when they were doing their designs.

Space travel technology has expanded more in the last 5 years since it went private than the previous 30.

Snow

Not that I doubt you guys but if it is all pros and zero cons why wasn't it achieved by NASA earlier?
For a while they were pursuing re-usability through single-stage-to-orbit, i.e. a spaceship that can pretty much function as a plane but goes to space, without any staging. This turned out to be a dead end; the material science just isn't there to build a ship and a fuel tank that is both strong enough and light enough. And before that you had the Shuttle obviously, which ostensibly had re-usable parts but still cost like a billion per launch, because the external tank was ditched, the solid rocket booster were refurbished at a cost equal to building new ones and for the orbiter the main engines were pretty much taken apart and re-assembled before they were re-flown if I understand correctly.

In general SpaceX has been able to save cost because they do a lot in-house and don't have to deal with the pretty inefficient way the NASA manufacturing pipeline is set up. NASA has a ton of suppliers, facilities spread out across different states, which from what I understand is mostly a result of needing to secure funding and being spread out gives more political support from local representatives. But it introduces a lot of inefficiency. Like, a lot of the discussion around the Constellation program and later SLS re-using things from Shuttle wasn't because this is what engineers deemed best. It was because this would preserve jobs in the same places, which in turn preserves political support from the same people.

For a while they were pursuing re-usability through single-stage-to-orbit, i.e. a spaceship that can pretty much function as a plane but goes to space, without any staging. This turned out to be a dead end; the material science just isn't there to build a ship and a fuel tank that is both strong enough and light enough. And before that you had the Shuttle obviously, which ostensibly had re-usable parts but still cost like a billion per launch, because the external tank was ditched, the solid rocket booster were refurbished at a cost equal to building new ones and for the orbiter the main engines were pretty much taken apart and re-assembled before they were re-flown if I understand correctly.

In general SpaceX has been able to save cost because they do a lot in-house and don't have to deal with the pretty inefficient way the NASA manufacturing pipeline is set up. NASA has a ton of suppliers, facilities spread out across different states, which from what I understand is mostly a result of needing to secure funding and being spread out gives more political support from local representatives. But it introduces a lot of inefficiency. Like, a lot of the discussion around the Constellation program and later SLS re-using things from Shuttle wasn't because this is what engineers deemed best. It was because this would preserve jobs in the same places, which in turn preserves political support from the same people.

So in other words: because politics. Gotcha.

Thanks for the answers, guys.

Amazing stuff. How much cheaper are they projecting this thing is going to be once it is done in more scale compared to a traditional rocket and/or space shuttle?

edit: just read the bottom of the first page. Even if space launch 'only' gets halved, it's still a really big deal.

AndyD

aka andydumi
God damn this is awesome.

Are they still trying to get one to land out at sea?

I get the feeling those were experimental for safety reasons. Once it's proven to work, no reason to go through that risk and complication when you can just use a perfectly flat stable spot.

I imagine they can build several landing pads across the country/world and dynamically use whichever is best based on weather.

gutshot

So in other words: because politics. Gotcha.

Thanks for the answers, guys.

This is a good article if you want to know more about the politics behind NASA getting stuff funded.

http://www.vox.com/2015/2/4/7977685/mars-nasa-orion-sls

It was a real eye-opener for me the first time I read it and was pretty much the point where I gave up on NASA ever doing anything but planetary exploration via probe. SpaceX is our only hope of getting humans to Mars during my lifetime.

dorn.

They need to get sea landings working as return to launch site isn't possible for heavier payloads due to the fuel budget. At the latest, they'll need it for Falcon Heavy since the centre core will be too far out at sea to return to land. Technically, for this flight, a land landing would be feasible due to the light payload, but since this is the last Falcon 1.1 core that won't be used again in the future anyway they might was well experiment.

Crispy75

They need to get sea landings working as return to launch site isn't possible for heavier payloads due to the fuel budget. At the latest, they'll need it for Falcon Heavy since the centre core will be too far out at sea to return to land. Technically, for this flight, a land landing would be feasible due to the light payload, but since this is the last Falcon 1.1 core that won't be used again in the future anyway they might was well experiment.

Also correct me if I'm wrong, but they don't have permission to land at Vandenberg yet.

cebri.one

+1. Higher orbits and bigger payloads need more energy and less is left to attempt the landing. So not every launch will have enough fuel to make it back to the cape.

Crispy75

No news on when they'll first try to re-use a landed first stage, right?

This first one won't be reflown. It'll be test fired (tomorrow!) to see how well the engines run after coming home, dismantled and thoroughly investigated and then kept for museum display somewhere.

Sunday's rocket won't be reflown either (if it lands on the barge ok) because it's the last Falcon 9 v1.0 and they don't want a mixed fleet of 1.1s and one lone 1.0.

So the first stage that has a hope of being reflown is the SES-9 flight from Canaveral, which is scheduled to fly before the end of the month. That's a heavy GTO comsat so the mission has razor-thin margins for a barge landing.

I doubt NASA will let them use a pre-flown stage for the following mission in February, which is another ISS resupply, so it'll be at least March before they even have time to try. No idea if they have a customer ready to pay a discount for such a "risky" flight, or if they'll just fly it for fun.

This first one won't be reflown. It'll be test fired (tomorrow!) to see how well the engines run after coming home, dismantled and thoroughly investigated and then kept for museum display somewhere.

Sunday's rocket won't be reflown either (if it lands on the barge ok) because it's the last Falcon 9 v1.0 and they don't want a mixed fleet of 1.1s and one lone 1.0.

So the first stage that has a hope of being reflown is the SES-9 flight from Canaveral, which is scheduled to fly before the end of the month. That's a heavy GTO comsat so the mission has razor-thin margins for a barge landing.

I doubt NASA will let them use a pre-flown stage for the following mission in February, which is another ISS resupply, so it'll be at least March before they even have time to try. No idea if they have a customer ready to pay a discount for such a "risky" flight, or if they'll just fly it for fun.

I doubt a re-used rocket gets used until 2017 at earliest. They need to "qualify" the re-use concept with a few test runs including ground and live trials. You don't QBS or qualify by similarity using a customer payload.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom