• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spec Ops: The Line to be delisted from all digital storefronts

This is the only PS3 game I streamed start to finish. I saw it wasn’t going to be on the new version of PS+ and rushed through it in PS Now’s final week.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Maybe. I thought it was his rendition of the Star Spangled Banner and a song in the closing credits.

Hmm maybe. I don’t remember the credits. However I do remember being blown the fuck away at All Along The Watchtower playing at the Mafia 3 title screen and thinking hangar 13s soundtrack budget probably went to just that song 🤣

bender

What time is it?
Hmm maybe. I don’t remember the credits. However I do remember being blown the fuck away at All Along The Watchtower playing at the Mafia 3 title screen and thinking hangar 13s soundtrack budget probably went to just that song 🤣

• Deep Purple - Hush
  • Alice in Chains - Rooster
  • Bjork - Storm
  • Mogwai - Glasgow Mega-Snake
  • Mogwai - R U Still In 2 It
  • Giuseppe Verdi - Dies Irae, Libera me
  • Nine Inch Nails - The day the world went away
  • Martha and the Vandellas - Nowhere to run
  • Black Mountain - Stormy High
  • The Black Angels - Bad Vibrations
  • Jimi Hendrix - A Merman I Should Turn To Be
  • The Black Angels - The First Vietnamese War
  • Jimi Hendrix - Star spangled banner
  • Inner Circle - Bad boys
Nailed it. Forgot Mogwai and Bjork were in the game and I love them both dearly. That has to be one of the best licensed soundtracks in gaming.

Such a surprisingly solid game. Damn shame it never got any enhancements on Xbox BC.

I thought it was painfully average when it released and that didn't change much when I replayed it a few years ago. I've even heard people say that it being bog standard was an intentional design as a further metacommentary on these types of games which feels like a ridiculous sentiment. Then again, I'm not head of heels for the narrative either which most people fawn over.

Last edited:

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
  • Deep Purple - Hush
  • Alice in Chains - Rooster
  • Bjork - Storm
  • Mogwai - Glasgow Mega-Snake
  • Mogwai - R U Still In 2 It
  • Giuseppe Verdi - Dies Irae, Libera me
  • Nine Inch Nails - The day the world went away
  • Martha and the Vandellas - Nowhere to run
  • Black Mountain - Stormy High
  • The Black Angels - Bad Vibrations
  • Jimi Hendrix - A Merman I Should Turn To Be
  • The Black Angels - The First Vietnamese War
  • Jimi Hendrix - Star spangled banner
  • Inner Circle - Bad boys
Nailed it. Forgot Mogwai and Bjork were in the game and I love them both dearly. That has to be one of the best licensed soundtracks in gaming.

I thought it was painfully average when it released and that didn't change much when I replayed it a few years ago. I've even heard people say that it being bog standard was an intentional design as a further metacommentary on these types of games which feels like a ridiculous sentiment. Then again, I'm not head of heels for the narrative either which most people fawn over.

Man I don’t remember half those songs. Then again I played it once over ten years ago 😖

Power Pro

Fortunately I already have this on steam. Although truthfully, I'll probably not play it again anytime soon, but it was absolutely worth playing the one time I did.

Robochobo

One of my most favorite shooters of the 7th gen. Played the demo on the 360 and ended up pre-ordering it off that alone. Absolutely horrendous multi-player though. One of the consequences of publishers trying to copy CoD, Halo and Gears when it made absolutely no sense (Bioshock 2 cough cough).

CamHostage

I wonder why? I don’t remember any licensed music but it’s been quite a while since I played it.

I don't know what's actually in the game (I don't know of a "soundtrack CD" where this would have been released?) but I remember in-game radios playing stuff like Jimi Hendrix and Deep Purple as mentioned here. It was a popular thing to do at the time (thanks to GTA) to have bits of popular songs playing diegetically or in big sequences, beyond the orchestral score.

(EDIT : whoops, didn't refresh and responded late. Many others responded beforehand, but there you go.)

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Game is on GOG, and on sale right now for $6

If you're worried at all about preservation, this is the correct way to buy it.

JayK47

So dumb when a game gets delisted for the music or some other license. All the more reason to want physical media.

Mr Hyde

Gold Member
Sold my PS3 copy and rebought it on GoG for PC. Feels like it will be delisted there soon too if it gets pulled on Steam.

Sentenza

Some people here seem a bit confused about what's going on: the game isn't being removed from anyone's account.
They will just stop selling it on Steam.

At least until it will get relisted under a new name, maybe as a new remastered edition or some similar bullshit.

Last edited:

Shakka43

Glad and surprised to find it in my library after checking the link. I completed it on PS3 so never tried the PC version.

It's only $6 on GOG and under $10 on many third party stores for Steam so if you don't want to miss out on a very solid game get it now before the price balloons up.

Last edited:

Three

It's so stupid that songs can remove entire games from sale. Has a game ever thought of adding some kind of spotify/Amazon music playlist and not licensing any songs at all? Get the user to log in with those and just stream the specific music with the users licence? Maybe even let them edit the games music selection that way.

Bojji

When a phisical game is not sold anymore is not the same thing?

There are still used copies that people are selling.

Good thing that pirates preserve almost all games (at least all of them before denuvo). Gog and other stores will most likely have to be forced to remove this game just like steam.

For digital distribution lovers, some time from now no one will be able to buy and experience this game, only used copies on ancient consoles or pirated versions will exist.

winjer

Gold Member
Really strange that they only delisted it on Steam, but kept it another PC stores.
This digital future is very strange, almost dystopian for consumers.

Still, this is one of the best games of that generation, so play it while you can.

Top Bottom