• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Speculation: Super Mario "World" on Nintendo Switch

KooopaKid

Banned
After seeing Jimmy Fallon's segment yesterday and the Tshirt Miyamoto was wearing, I think there is a possibility that the next Mario game is based around various architectures/culture from around the world.

First, we have Samurai Mario:

Miyamoto-Palm.gif

Where could this artwork come from?

Then, the Mario Switch footage showed a Mexican/Aztek looking level:

new_Mario_Game.gif

Finally, Super Mario 3D World already toyed with the idea with a level inspired by a Japanese temple, so I can see the Mario team wanting to expand on that:

sm3dwhl46.png

Do you think this world theme is enough to carry a whole Mario game? I think so.

Would be cool but I don't really think there's enough evidence to support this. Didn't Laura say the Mexican city was the hub world?

Theodran

I'm pretty sure this is a custom made Japanese Super Mario Run T-shirt.

The kanji on the t-shirt is "Ran" (乱, uprising/revolt), which can be also be interpreted to say "Run" (ラン) in katakana English. It also happens to be a jidaigeki film by Kurosawa.

I think before you make any wild assumptions on whats up with that Samurai Mario shirt, we should look up if that's even on sale anywhere.

KooopaKid

Banned

The kanji on the t-shirt is "Ran" (乱), which is another way to say "Run" in katakana English. It also happens to be a jidaigeki film by Kurosawa.

Oh. Makes sense.

/End thread. lol

GDGF

Soothsayer
I dig the theory.

Maybe Bowser tries to take over Mario's world (the real world) this time around.

Or not. Still an interesting idea either way.

Mariolee

The kanji on the t-shirt is "Ran" (乱, uprising/revolt), which can be also be interpreted to say "Run" (ラン) in katakana English. It also happens to be a jidaigeki film by Kurosawa.

Yeah this was brought up in the Fallon thread. Nothing to see here except a clever cool shirt.

Nobody ever said that. They said the game plays more like Mario 64/Sunshine with the openness instead of SM3DW.
We're both a little wrong
"The title will apparently feature a 3D open world hub from which different worlds can be selected"

She didn't specify Mexico but there is a hub world.

Alphahawk

It's like that one CD-I game Phillips tried to make except the whole world instead of just the USA
Yes, Phillips tried to make a Mario game set in the USA and it's just as terrible as you think it'd be

Beyond some random levels in SM3DW and all the ubiquitous desert themed levels, the last time Mario went to a world full of strange foreign locales based on real world cultures was in Sarasaland.

230px-Srasas.PNG

Super Mario Land 2 confirmed.

dickroach

maybe that second location in the gif from the Switch reveal trailer is an Egypt-ish level rather than a Aztec-ish level.
conversely, Mario is wearing regular ass Mario clothes in both locations.

Beyond some random levels in SM3DW and all the ubiquitous desert themed levels, the last time Mario went to a world full of strange foreign locales based on real world cultures was in Sarasaland.

230px-Srasas.PNG

Super Mario Land 2 confirmed.

Super Mario Land 2: Switch Golden Joy-Cons?

Skeletos311

Would Bill be dropping hints on Twitter? He's one of the cagiest Nintendo people there is.

I guess the game could have a real world theme, but it could also just be one place based on Mexico, because they like the look of Mexico or maybe the whole game has a Mexican theme.

sanstesy

Yeah, Bill's hint should give it away. He doesn't say much otherwise but other than hinting at the new Mario game there is no point in saying what he did.

You're most likely spot on OP.

Yeah, Bill's hint should give it away. He doesn't say much otherwise but other than hinting at the new Mario game there is no point in saying what he did.

You're most likely spot on OP.
Bill partly works as a translator. Pretty sure he got his degree in Japanese studies. The shirt is a Japanese pun. Why are you people trying to read any more into this

Im guessing suits will be ingame DLC for Mario Run. I mean there must be more then just peach, toad and co or it would run out of content after 1 month

sanstesy

Bill partly works as a translator. Pretty sure he got his degree in Japanese studies. The shirt is a Japanese pun. Why are you people trying to read any more into this

And why would he play coy on a T-shirt with a Japanese pun again? He is clearly hinting at something he can't talk about.

Thinking about it, could also be suit skins in SMR. We'll see.

DeathPeak

I thought this was going to be about how it seemed like Reggie almost introduced Super Mario Run as "Super Mario World." When Reggie was introducing the game, he kind of stalled and seemed like he was going to say something else before he said "Run."

I think your probably onto something,love to see different cultural themes...he also did the Roman thumbs up down thing...I'm probably grasping at straws over that though

sanstesy

Seriously? He's being playful in Twitter.

There is no point in being playful about this. If he really cares about the pun so much he would have explained it to us non-Japanese speaking people on his Twitter. That hint doesn't help us understand the pun in any way, though.

Don't you get this?

Kurt

They are already starting the hype. I'm sure that also other new things will come before the presentation.

Top Bottom