• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Speculation: Super Mario "World" on Nintendo Switch

There is no point in being playful about this. If he really cares about the pun so much he would have explained it to us non-Japanese speaking people on his Twitter. That hint doesn't help us understand the pun in any way, though.

Don't you get this?
Are you for real right now? It's called engaging fans on social media. Bill posts something vague and playful, people respond trying to guess what it is. Some people will probably also respond with the pun explanation if they haven't already.

This is just like that time Reggie dressed up as Little Mac for an E3 teaser. It amounted to nothing. But sure, let's just make logical leaps instead of making the safe assumptions based on the person's background. Just toss Occam's razor out the window am I right?

Have fun seeing Samurai Mario silhouettes in your coffee next though.

Bill is just teasing, he feels smug that he knows what's the meaning of the shirt.

It is just a clever Kurosawa reference.

What's with all these conspiracy theorists lately? Illuminati isn't fashionable anymore? Not it is Mario taking over the world?

sanstesy

Are you for real right now? It's called engaging fans on social media. Bill posts something vague and playful, people respond trying to guess what it is. Some people will probably also respond with the pun explanation if they haven't already.

This is just like that time Reggie dressed up as Little Mac for an E3 teaser. It amounted to nothing. But sure, let's just make logical leaps instead of making the safe assumptions based on the person's background. Just toss Occam's razor out the window am I right?

Have fun seeing Samurai Mario silhouettes in your coffee next though.

Whew, calm down. No one will get hurt when it's revealed that he was/wasn't teasing the new Mario game.

Bill is very upfront about easter eggs happening on events and rather than weirdly teasing them he would more likely explain it to us, especially something as obscure as this. I see no logical leap about low-key teasing the new Mario game they already gave us a small look at in the Switch trailer with a T-shirt of all things.

A Mario game exploring various cultural themes of the world would be amazing.

This is long overdue, and the only logical real Mario World. All these potentially great artworks and ideas...

Super Mario 3D World wasnt really my cup of tea ithink, great game, but i liked the Galaxy game much more. I think it had more variety. So the core of the galaxy game and building a scenario like the upper one would be my dream Mario, maybe a historical one too.

But on the other side, i dont think something like this would happen very soon.

CaVaYeRo

Well if anything I'd say Miyamoto's comments on Universal Theme Parks and Mario coming home/to the real world do more to support this theory than his t-shirt.

iKWx3WO.jpg

Yessss Mario Is Missing! 2

I said this after the reveal but your spot on, if you actually look at the house on the left it's a cap shop, different hats this time. i.e Mexican sombrero,Japanese kabuto helmet like miyamotos shirt.

It means they can play with lots of power ups like the cat bell from 3d world and also lots of themed levels(fingers crossed... galaxies)

Forkball

Like others have said, it appears to be a pun on the Japanese pronunciation of "Run." Ran is also the name of a famous Japanese movie from Kurosawa that takes place during the warring states period.

What's interesting is that Mario himself seems to be based off of Yukimura Sanada, an actual samurai. I'm not sure why they would base Mario on him specifically outside of the superficial fact that they both wear red.

I do like the idea of a Mario World Tour where he visits Mario verions of real places. Not sure about Trinen's comment, but it could be yet another infamous #trintroll

maxcriden

I said this after the reveal but your spot on, if you actually look at the house on the left it's a cap shop, different hats this time. i.e Mexican sombrero,Japanese kabuto helmet like miyamotos shirt.

It means they can play with lots of power ups like the cat bell from 3d world and also lots of themed levels(fingers crossed... galaxies)

amazing catch, thanks for this! (And long time no see!)

Hakai

I think it is a possibility, but we have to think what would a Samurai Mario be able to do, that normal Mario wouldn't?

If it is a power up, it needs to bring some gameplay element to the table.

doop_

Banned
I think it is a possibility, but we have to think what would a Samurai Mario be able to do, that normal Mario wouldn't?

If it is a power up, it needs to bring some gameplay element to the table.
Maybe he gets to command a miniature army of 128 mini toads. I really like the idea of a Mario game with power-up's and locations inspired by the real world.

doop_

Banned
How would that be useful in a platforming game though?
I really have no idea, maybe they could be used to take out swarms of Goomba's or arrange themselves into weird shapes to bridge gaps for Mario. Kind of like in The Wonderful 101.

I really have no idea, maybe they could be used to take out swarms of Goomba's or arrange themselves into weird shapes to bridge gaps for Mario. Kind of like in The Wonderful 101.
Thinking on similar lines, it'd be really neat to see Nintendo expand on the double cherry power-up they used in SM3DW; not sure how adding even more characters on screen would help, but it'd be cool to see how they could create more open levels around that expanded concept.

Edit: World, not Land

doop_

Banned
Thinking on similar lines, it'd be really neat to see Nintendo expand on the double cherry power-up they used in SM3DL; not sure how adding even more characters on screen would help, but it'd be cool to see how they could create more open levels around that expanded concept.
It would also be a good showcase of the system's ability to have a high volume moving characters on screen at once.

Sign me up for #TeamShirtIsAPun

But it wouldn't surprise me if the new Mario game is more world/culture based like you are suggesting anyway. I just don't think the shirt has anything to do with that.

Chairhome

When the Switch footage came out, I had the same thought about the Switch game, thinking it might have different cultures/countries for levels. Still think its a great idea.

His shirt does say Super Mario Run though, when he raises his hands, you can see it says "Run" in english over the kanji

Fularu

Banned
Samurai Mario obviously means Mario is a special guest character in the switch version of SoulCalibur 6

maxcriden

The shop is even called crazy caps as far as i can tell, it says right above the front door.
and i think it also has the wing caps wings as decoration either side of the door.

Awesome, I totally missed that. Very psyched to see how that plays out in the game itself.

Cool theory OP, to bad it was debunked so quickly.

The theory about the shirt has been debunked, but the theory about the game itself seems possible given papercan55's posts above and others ITT.

That same Samurai Mario is also featured on one of the months of the 2016 Club Nintendo Desk Calendar. Also, some sort of Geisha Mario on another month. I wouldn't read into it much.

disco

I feel like I've seen that samurai artwork before --- but I feel like I could also just be imagining the very graphically saturated official websites for the last few Mario games and the Japanese themed level from 3D World.

I honestly think this is official artwork for the forthcoming 3D Mario.

Why? Because the 3D render is a LOT of work just to make for a ... REALLY BADLY ironed on transfer! A lot of effort has gone into that Mario artwork ... and just for a tshirt? That isn't even printed properly!? There is definitely more to this image than just an obscure pun for the rabid fans.

EDIT:

That same Samurai Mario is also featured on one of the months of the 2016 Club Nintendo Desk Calendar. Also, some sort of Geisha Mario on another month. I wouldn't read into it much.

Oh. :(

doop_

Banned
To be fair the Mario in the calendar is a 2D image and holding something different in his left hand.

My only worry is Nintendo might get a little too stereotypical with this. Mario is meant to be cartoonish and kid friendly after all. One of the things I love about Overwatch is that it pays tribute to its locations without being stereotypical. When you've got Samurai Mario in Japan, that's one thing. But Mariachi Mario in Mexico may be a little insensitive, and God help us if they go to Africa, Russia, or Germany, or even the US, where the Japanese ideal of Americans are loud-mouth gluttonous cowboys. I'm not trying to be an SJW here, but I can see this backfiring badly.

Hermii

My only worry is Nintendo might get a little too stereotypical with this. Mario is meant to be cartoonish and kid friendly after all. One of the things I love about Overwatch is that it pays tribute to its locations without being stereotypical. When you've got Samurai Mario in Japan, that's one thing. But Mariachi Mario in Mexico may be a little insensitive, and God help us if they go to Africa, Russia, or Germany, or even the US, where the Japanese ideal of Americans are loud-mouth gluttonous cowboys. I'm not trying to be an SJW here, but I can see this backfiring badly.

How would you make an easily identifyable America Level, whitout using stereotypes?

Not saying its impossible, just a question.

I love the theory OP! I guess we'll have to wait until January to find out, but I'm excited nonetheless! That game is day one for me no matter what.

Let's a-go, to-a Mexico.
Can't wait for the new Mario reveal

My wife doesn't really play games at all, but she likes to watch me play. While I worked my way through NSMBU, she thought that Mario's "Let's-a-go!" was him saying "Mex-ico!".

How would you make an easily identifyable America Level, whitout using stereotypes?

Not saying its impossible, just a question.
Maybe like a New York City-style level that focuses on bustling streets and huge skyrises. It does rely on that one particular aspect of American culture--and it certainly doesn't represent all of the US--but that might be an angle they'd want to take without being very offensive.

Raitaro

That would definitely make for a fresh Mario experience tonally OP, so I'd applaud it.

Maybe we'll even see Mario return to New York / Brooklyn (or some Mushroom Kingdom version of it), which imo would be high time.

meppi

After seeing Jimmy Fallon's segment yesterday and the Tshirt Miyamoto was wearing, I think there is a possibility that the next Mario game is based around various architectures/culture from around the world.

First, we have Samurai Mario:

Miyamoto-Palm.gif

Where could this artwork come from?

PfwmgME.jpg

Top Bottom