• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Speevy's Brief Impressions - Devil May Cry 3

Speevy

Banned
I actually borrowed this for a friend. Since it's likely to be forever before this game drops to a reasonable price, I figured that I might as well play it. Plus, I hear it has tons of content, and since a rental is how I played Ninja Gaiden originally this should aid in my decision.

First thing's first. The graphics are pretty slick. The use of color reminds me of Otogi and its sequel, not that those games predate DMC, just that I played them before. The game could be a bit clearer but there's so much going on that I can forgive that. Production values are awesome. Seems there was a lot of care put into the cutscenes, menus, and such. Although not my personal taste, the music does succeed in getting you pumped.

As for the gameplay, I would say this game is pretty much tough as nails. As a Ninja Gaiden Xbox veteran myself, I was prepared for an onslaught, but this game requires a whole new kind of focus. Calling it harder or easier is kind of missing the point. While Ninja Gaiden relies on reflexes, experience, and an intuitive grasp of the relatively simple and insanely fun combo system, this game seems to reward switching everything up (weapons, styles, etc.) and executing linkable moves. It's refreshing and quite fun, especially considering the controls are also smooth.

Overall I'm very impressed, and am looking forward to continued play. Question: Does this progressively more expensive items thing happen throughout the whole game? If so, OUCH.

Luckett_X

Banned
Yeah, later on the prices get insane, but you can spam some of the 'Secret Missions' for as many red orbs as you can stand repeatedly earning, sitting there for hours just 'earning' red orbs.

Very solid game that can get insanely hard at certain points, especially bosses.

123rl

this game seems to reward switching everything up (weapons, styles, etc.) and executing linkable moves. It's refreshing and quite fun, especially considering the controls are also smooth.

150% right, man. That's EXACTLY the point and, IMO, the whole appeal of the game. You can play through the game with two swords and two guns, doing the same 3-4 attacks over and over but that is totally missing the point. The who appeal of the game is to mix things up with new combos and techniques, cause as much havoc and craziness as you can, and constantly try and find new ways to improve how you play. IMO no game has ever done this better
Does this progressively more expensive items thing happen throughout the whole game? If so, OUCH.

Yes (sorry :lol ). But after a while you'll get better and use less and less health as you become better at the game. Play it enough and you'll be able to play through whole levels parrying every single attack and taking zero damage

btw when I say "play it enough"...I've played it for 50 hours and I'm still nowhere near learning everything in this game. It has infinite levels of depth!

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Speevy said:
Overall I'm very impressed, and am looking forward to continued play. Question: Does this progressively more expensive items thing happen throughout the whole game? If so, OUCH.

that's what i hated about the DMC series. you buy a couple extra lives and suddenly it costs an arm and leg for another 1up. bleh

other than that, DMC3 kicks some serious ass. the quick-switch weapon system is genious

sly

Banned
Ronin said:
I've had the game since launch and I can't go a day without getting my fix of DMC3.

Me too. I've put over 150 hours into it and I just can't get enough :lol It is so rewarding.

I'm happy you're enjoying it Speevy! You wanted a game with depth, ths one has it in spades. What mission are you on?

Speevy

Banned
I just started. I was just a tiny sliver away from beating Ice Cerberus guy when I died last. I'll be getting back into it this weekend since I have class tomorrow.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
also, during the intro cutscenes for each stage, try to spot the hidden 'easter egg" mission number in each cutscene. kinda gets addicting searching for them throughout the game as you watch the cinemas :p

sly

Banned
Speevy said:
I just started. I was just a tiny sliver away from beating Ice Cerberus guy when I died last. I'll be getting back into it this weekend since I have class tomorrow.

Ohohohoh! You haven't gone far.....expect some major ownage as you proceed :D Please tell me you're playing on normal(at least). What's your favorite style?

Speevy

Banned
I just chose swordmaster, since I always liked that about Ninja Gaiden.

But these are powerful guns. Usually the projectiles (or guns) are the least powerful attack. I like that as well, so I may switch the style.

lunlunqq

Speevy said:
I just chose swordmaster, since I always liked that about Ninja Gaiden.

But these are powerful guns. Usually the projectiles (or guns) are the least powerful attack. I like that as well, so I may switch the style.

Actually, i suggest you start with trickster. the swordmaster allows you to do crazy combos to minor enemies; but the dodge moves of trickster can help you survive the tough boss fights. it will make you life as a beginner much easier.

after you gain some experience with the game, you can choose whatever style you like.

Speevy said:
Since it's likely to be forever before this game drops to a reasonable price

Yes, for some reason--after 8 months, the game is still 50 dollars. Although I wholly expect the GH release to be the Special Edition in itself. However, as far as a game goes, DMC3 is fully worth the price. The level of action, story, and replay value (carry over stats,RPG elements -is- unmatched. Some might say NG has better graphics, others might say God of War has a better story, but DMC3 is the only action game that successfully captures action, story, and replay elements together in a full circle. That is why I consider it much better than God of War.

Speevy said:
As for the gameplay, I would say this game is pretty much tough as nails.

http://www.thehandvseye.com/dmc3.htm

All boss fight video tactics (no hit runthroughs on dante must die)

Speevy said:
....relies on reflexes, experience, and an intuitive grasp of the relatively simple and insanely fun combo system, this game seems to reward switching everything up (weapons, styles, etc.) and executing linkable moves. It's refreshing and quite fun, especially considering the controls are also smooth.

No, I assure you the emphasis on reflexes, experience, pattern recognition is extremely important in DMC3. But I guess the very fact that you lost against the first boss fight proves that. In anycase, having played 100+ hours of it on Dante Must Die mode, I can assure you you -are- wrong in that assesment. While it is great to take full advantage of what pretty much is an infinite combo system, the game is has defensive percesion based as ever. You will come to know this as well -very- soon.

Speevy said:
Overall I'm very impressed, and am looking forward to continued play.
You should look into the budgeted Special Edition.

Speevy said:
Question: Does this progressively more expensive items thing happen throughout the whole game? If so, OUCH.

No, each item has a peak price piont. However, if you realize (which you will soon enough) that DMC3 is EXTREMELY defensive based, you will not need any restorative items at all. Invest in Blue Orbs, Purple Orbs, and yellow orbs. Don't waste your time on healing items..

sly said:
Ohohohoh! You haven't gone far.....expect some major ownage as you proceed :D Please tell me you're playing on normal(at least). What's your favorite style?

This is also incorrect, if Speevy understands that defense is more important than offense in DMC3, beating Cerberus is probably the game's biggest hurdle.

...other than Agni and Rudra :lol

123rl said:
btw when I say "play it enough"...I've played it for 50 hours and I'm still nowhere near learning everything in this game. It has infinite levels of depth!

This however, is correct. I popped it in yesteday to do a few missions on Dante Must Die, and I just learned that buffering Artemis while charging Nevan during a Royal Guard _just-release_ with a DT explosion is a Hell Vanguard INSTANT kill baby :D

http://babildo.brinkster.net/videos/other.html
WATCH THE PANDA ATTACK DMC3 COMBO VIDEO, AND REPSECT! Personally, I even have my doubts the Resident Evil dolts at Studio 4 can outclass DMC3's combo system in DMC4.

sly

Banned
Finally C_Warrior is here, the thread is now complete :D

Hey C-, what are the differences between the PAL, NA and Japanese versions of DMC3?

Speevy

Banned
C- Warrior said:
Yes, for some reason--after 8 months, the game is still 50 dollars. Although I wholly expect the GH release to be the Special Edition in itself. However, as far as a game goes, DMC3 is fully worth the price. The level of action, story, and replay value (carry over stats,RPG elements -is- unmatched. Some might say NG has better graphics, others might say God of War has a better story, but DMC3 is the only action game that successfully captures action, story, and replay elements together in a full circle. That is why I consider it much better than God of War.

http://www.thehandvseye.com/dmc3.htm

All boss fight video tactics (no hit runthroughs on dante must die)

No, I assure you the emphasis on reflexes, experience, pattern recognition is extremely important in DMC3. But I guess the very fact that you lost against the first boss fight proves that. In anycase, having played 100+ hours of it on Dante Must Die mode, I can assure you you -are- wrong in that assesment. While it is great to take full advantage of what pretty much is an infinite combo system, the game is has defensive percesion based as ever. You will come to know this as well -very- soon.

You should look into the budgeted Special Edition.

No, each item has a peak price piont. However, if you realize (which you will soon enough) that DMC3 is EXTREMELY defensive based, you will not need any restorative items at all. Invest in Blue Orbs, Purple Orbs, and yellow orbs. Don't waste your time on healing items..

Well, that's the thing about first impressions. They're often wrong.. :/

C- Warrior said:
WATCH THE PANDA ATTACK DMC3 COMBO VIDEO, AND REPSECT! Personally, I even have my doubts the Resident Evil dolts at Studio 4 can outclass DMC3's combo system in DMC4.

That video is insane. Made me go back and play DMC3 again to try some combos out. And hopefully Capcom sees that video and realises how well Nightwish fits the DMC world and makes one of their songs the theme of DMC4.

Weaksauce argument...I guess that works for those who like the throwback old school days. And plus it's very satisfying to beat a hard game.

But as I said, --IMO-- I think DMC3 is the only action game that fully brings challenge, action, story, and replay value in one entire package. And not too mention the actual game is 15-20 hours first time.

sly

Banned
C- Warrior said:
This is also incorrect, if Speevy understands that defense is more important than offense in DMC3, beating Cerberus is probably the game's biggest hurdle.

...other than Agni and Rudra :lol

I found A & R easier :lol Cerberus is a bitch, he used to own my ass in DMD mode but now I have him licking my toes :D

C- Warrior said:
This however, is correct. I popped it in yesteday to do a few missions on Dante Must Die, and I just learned that buffering Artemis while charging Nevan during a Royal Guard _just-release_ with a DT explosion is a Hell Vanguard INSTANT kill baby :D

Really? o_O

C- Warrior said:

Downloading.........

Speevy

Banned
C-Warrior: Since you seem to like a good challenge as much as I do, I presume you've already played Ninja Gaiden Black?

Speevy said:
Well, that's the thing about first impressions. They're often wrong.. :/

It's understandable :)

The depth in DMC3 is a lot like Street Fighter, or Guilty Gear. It's taking a set of a few simple to do free-form special moves, mixing and matching the orders around and canceling to peform insane combo chains.

Call it depth, call it exploits, call it parlor tricks, whatever, but you will learn something new each and every time you play DMC3. To say that I learn stuff each time I popped it in after being such a fan of it says something.

So don't fret when you might have to replay a mission. Think to yourself, "get better" - "get faster" - "and fight with more style"

(ALSO, don't forget to bank your orbs (press start and save) although it doesn't actually save mid-mission, it logs in your orb count so if you die and have to start a mission over, it still means something.

Next, camera issues. A game as fast as DMC3, although it does have a "reset behind camera button" (push in R3) it will cause problems a few times (and personally, I have yet to play an action title side' from God of War that has a close, intense camera that is perfect).

But all enemies have visual and auditory telegraphed attacks. If you can't see them attacking, you'll hear them.

The Red Reapers (the Hell Lusts...I believe is the official name) they -ALWAYS- do a backflip and charge at you. They make a distinct laughing sound before this, so keep the ears open, and the combos flying.

The best way to really get good at DMC3 really quick, is that you should know the game's controls so well, that when you're actually playing, you should not be looking at Dante...or even the immediate enemies he's attacking. Rather, at the enemies on the outer parameter. That's what saved my ass way back in DMC1 the first time I played it on hard.

Also (spoiler) In the first mission, on the street alley that leads to Cerberus, there are 3 blue orb fragments there. 4 blue orb fragments increases your health guage.

One is at the door on the right, the other is the combo adujicator statue on the rooftop of the building on the left, and the last one is on the ledge of the right building (it's in plain view)

Remember, when fighting Cerberus. Level up your shotgun to level 2, it makes breaking the ice on his paws much faster. Hack at them, until his faces fall, shotgun the ice off of his face, and let it rip.

Of course, there are much more advanced tactics, but I'm eating right now and I've spoiled a lot already...sorry.

Speevy said:
C-Warrior: Since you seem to like a good challenge as much as I do, I presume you've already played Ninja Gaiden Black?

No, my XBox broke down on me.

Although, I'm not a fan of Ninja Gaiden's "dial-me-a-combo"

I like games that give you combat freedom, following a list of button presses via menu is not my thing. It feels restricting.

I am good at the game, just because it's so damn awesome, but it's combo system is very limited and shallow when compared to Devil May Cry or even God of War. But the problem in God of War is that the enemies and bosses suck nut, so God of War's combo system is rendered useless.

Ninja Gaiden is my second favorite game this generation though. But...I can't help people with NG has much as I can with DMC3. I'm still very good at it, just because I like to master the really good games, and if I get my lazy ass and get my Xbox fixed I'll definantly look into putting some serious time into Black's mission mode. The challenges seem really cool to experience. And I'd also like to say I don't like games just because they are challenging. In fact, I suck at a lot of titles. But if a game "hits it" --you know, I 'get it'--then I'll master the thing to death and enjoy every second of it. For example to this day I have never beaten Megaman 1. Damn that ICE_LEVEL!!!!

sly said:
Hey C-, what are the differences between the PAL, NA and Japanese versions of DMC3?

Japanese version. (all enemies and bosses have about 3/4 as much health as the NA version on all relative modes.) Also, the Japanese version's -easy- mode is non-exsistant in the NA one. If it were to be in the NA one, it would be considered VERY EASY if you will.

Japanese version has infinite room by room checkpoints. Japanese version also has Gold Orbs that revive you on the spot, think of it has an instant win ala RE4's rocket launcher.

EU version is like the NA version, expect easier. Everything else (items, continue system) is same as the NA.

The Special Edition has two versions on it. International and Gold. Gold is the Japanese version, and International is the EU/NA versions.

Kangu

Banned
If you get frustrated with cerberus just blast him from a corner with your handguns. They do enough damage that it should kill him and the only attack of his that will be able to hit you are the falling ice shards and the ground freeze, both easily avoidable. It's cheap as hell, but it works.

Kangu said:
If you get frustrated with cerberus just blast him from a corner with your handguns. They do enough damage that it should kill him and the only attack of his that will be able to hit you are the falling ice shards and the ground freeze, both easily avoidable. It's cheap as hell, but it works.

It goes without saying that you should use Gunslinger for that...uh...tactic.

Although I suggest against it. Cerberus is a stationary boss, so staying back and unloading some 9mm's would work...but you'll fail to gain skill (as a player) and all the future DMC3' bosses (all 11 of them) will own you left and right being that there is no real cheap trick to take them out.

Well. Vergil 3 with Royal Guard...eh...

Kangu

Banned
C- Warrior said:
Well. Vergil 3 with Royal Guard...eh...

Please elaborate. The only boss I could remotely own with Royal Guard was Beowolf.

Well, maybe Nevan, but it wasn't really worth it.

sly

Banned
C- Warrior said:
Japanese version. (all enemies and bosses have about 3/4 as much health as the NA version on all relative modes.) Also, the Japanese version's -easy- mode is non-exsistant in the NA one. If it were to be in the NA one, it would be considered VERY EASY if you will.

Japanese version has infinite room by room checkpoints. Japanese version also has Gold Orbs that revive you on the spot, think of it has an instant win ala RE4's rocket launcher.

EU version is like the NA version, except easier. Everything else (items, continue system) is same as the NA.

The Special Edition has two versions on it. International and Gold. Gold is the Japanese version, and International is the EU/NA versions.

So I've been playing the "Weaksauce verison"? Ugh!

{buries head in shame}

Himuro said:
Vergil 3 with Trickster mastered is win! He can't fucking touch me! I'll teleport and slap you in the face bitch!

Hmmm I'll have to try that, I've always used Quciksilver + Rebellion + Beowulf for Vergil 3

Shouta

C-W is right in that the game is very focused on defense. In fact, the game rewards you the best for playing as offensively as possible while being safe. Knowing your enemy attack patterns, enemy positions, spawn order/points, your own attacks and the limit you can push your offense is all key. It's a very back and forth game. Being totally offensive can get you killed and being too defensive will just whittle you away or take forever to achieve goals.

Mind you, this is for your first run through. Once you get adjusted to the game, being more aggressive becomes natural but you still do have to worry about everything becomes more natural.

Kangu said:
Please elaborate. The only boss I could remotely own with Royal Guard was Beowolf.

Well, maybe Nevan, but it wasn't really worth it.

Nevan's attacks (all except one) are all long-ranged.

Standing back and shooting her would mean you would have demonstrate perfect defense for 20 minutes straight. There is no safe-zone with her, so jumping around and shooting will likely equate to death.

In anycase, there are a lot of Royal Gaurd Vergil 3 videos out there.

But, the reason Royal Guard owns Vergil (fight #3) is firstly, Vergil regain his health very quickly. Royal Guard is the fastest way to perform damage.

Vergil goes up to you to do his 4 hit combo.

Press and hold the devil trigger button, and just-parry all 4 of his attacks.

On his next 4 hit combo, (you're still holding the DT button to do a Devil Trigger explosion attack btw), perform a just-release on the last hit while you release the DT button (to perform the explosion).

That's a near instant kill on normal. 40 seconds...maybe.

Shouta

Standing back and shooting her would mean you would have demonstrate perfect defense for 20 minutes straight. There is no safe-zone with her, so jumping around and shooting will likely equate to death.

Not difficult on Normal or Hard but DMD is a total bitch for this which is the mode I assume you're talking about in this context.

Kangu

Banned
C- Warrior said:
Nevan's attacks (all except one) are all long-ranged.

I meant using Royal Guard against Nevan. I find her bolts attack very easy to time and parry.

In anycase, there are a lot of Royal Gaurd Vergil 3 videos out there.

But, the reason Royal Guard owns Vergil (fight #3) is firstly, Vergil regain his health very quickly. Royal Guard is the fastest way to perform damage.

Vergil goes up to you to do his 4 hit combo.

Press and hold the devil trigger button, and just-parry all 4 of his attacks.

On his next 4 hit combo, (you're still holding the DT button to do a Devil Trigger explosion attack btw), perform a just-release on the last hit while you release the DT button (to perform the explosion).

That's a near instant kill on normal. 40 seconds...maybe.

I guess I'll give it a shot on normal, but I doubt I'm good enough at parrying yet (teh weAksauce), besides the amount of damage that combo deals if you miss a parry is just depressing.

Kangu said:
I meant using Royal Guard against Nevan. I find her bolts attack very easy to time and parry.

I guess I'll give it a shot on normal, but I doubt I'm good enough at parrying yet (teh weAksauce), besides the amount of damage that combo deals if you miss a parry is just depressing.

Yeah, a regular release won't do anything, you have to do a fully charged just-release.

Honestly, I wasn't that great at Royal Guard until I started practicing against the Hell Vanguard on normal (mission 2 mini-boss).

The Hell Vanguard swipes his scythe twice in a row, but it's not super fast so it's a great way to get a feel on how to do mulitple just-parrys consecutively.

Although, Vergil is slightly faster.

If you know the "just" lingo, than it's a matter of practicing. Give it 10 or so minutes on replaying mission against the Hell vanguard mini-boss, you'll catch on.

Damien--

Yeah, nice combo video. It's great there are so many DMC3 vids online, it's really getting up there and the 'online vid' community is huge--I haven't seen this much since the SF and Guilty Gear days. Anyway the vids make it easier to support bold statements about DMC3's unmatched combo system. You can argue with words but when I prove it with multiple videos...people shut up real quick.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Oh man, I'm going to have to give this a whirl. Just picked up NGBlack, and finished God of War, so I suppose I'm waiting for a bit of a price drop. C'mon $30.

This one is up there with God of War and Resident Evil 4 for me so far this year. Never have I been so satisfied with finishing a game.

Just started with this game. But hey, I suck!

Died 3 times in mission 2. MISSION 2! Normaly that's still tutorial. I chose Royal Guard, perhaps I have to change to trickster, as suggested in this thread.

I go back now and try that mission 2 again...

Man, these DMC3 topics make the game sound so cool. I've been waiting for a price drop for so long, can't believe it's not 30 dollars yet. At this point, I'll probably wait for the GH edition, hoping it's the Special Edition. It tough to keep passing this up at the store though....

TerryLee81 said:
Just started with this game. But hey, I suck!

Died 3 times in mission 2. MISSION 2! Normaly that's still tutorial. I chose Royal Guard, perhaps I have to change to trickster, as suggested in this thread.

I go back now and try that mission 2 again...

Watch some gameplay videos, get the flora and fauna on how to play.

Devil May Cry 1 (which was still a hard game, but nowhere near) had more of a one on one emphasis.

Only about 4-5 enemies on you at once, but they were slow, yet had a lot of health and dealt a lot of damage when hit.

Devil May Cry 3 (which is harder) had more of a one versus group feel, enemies are faster--but, they have less health and they take off less health.

So you really have to approach it different than DMC1.

Here's the link again:

www.thehandvseye.com/dmc3.htm

---STRATEGY FOR HELL VANGUARD MINI-BOSS (mission 2)---

BTW, you better get used to fighting him, cus' he'll become a regular occuring enemy real quick.

On easy and normal, you pretty have one thing to worry about. His two cut slash.

At the start of the battle, adjust the camera via Right Analog (or reset it behind Dante by pressing in R3--this is just basic knowledge).

Stinger level 2 towards him. (replay mission 1 over for about 5 minutes to gain enough orbs to buy Air Hike/Stinger Lvl 2)

Keep hacking at him, until he parries your attack. (signified by a huge blue spark and a deflect).

Don't over muscle him, stop attacking him, and immedialty jump/roll/dash out of the way.

When you hear a distinct BELL sound, he'll do either two things.

Materlize below you and uppercut you up, or dash from the outside.

If you see the ground -not- rippling, that means he is going to dash at you. Double Jump (Air Hike) the fuck somewhere.

If you see the ground -is- rippling, don't double jump. Just run in a direction and don't double back.

And then, start hacking away. Remember, he does -two- slashes. And when he parries you, he'll do -one- slash.

You'll be surprised at how soon you'll be able to take these things down with ease. Or you should hope so, because one of the secret missions requires you to fight two of them at the same time.

Thx a lot, C- Warrior.

With trickster it's actually pretty easy to bring him down. I'm at the next boss now (3-headed dog), got him down to 10% then died, but I will beat him next time.

The game rocks, but I have to work on my style, all I use at the moment is the melee atack, and always the same combo (3x Triangle-Button). I will practise tomorrow.

Kangu

Banned
TerryLee81 said:
Thx a lot, C- Warrior.

With trickster it's actually pretty easy to bring him down. I'm at the next boss now (3-headed dog), got him down to 10% then died, but I will beat him next time.

The game rocks, but I have to work on my style, all I use at the moment is the melee atack, and always the same combo (3x Triangle-Button). I will practise tomorrow.

Things get a lot better once you get more weapons. The ability to switch weapons mid combo opens up a world of possibilities.

black_13

Banned
GitarooMan said:
Man, these DMC3 topics make the game sound so cool. I've been waiting for a price drop for so long, can't believe it's not 30 dollars yet. At this point, I'll probably wait for the GH edition, hoping it's the Special Edition. It tough to keep passing this up at the store though....
Let's hope the DMC3:SE version actually gets released outside of Japn. As of now it's Japn exclusive which is gonna piss a lot of people off.

black_13 said:
Let's hope the DMC3:SE version actually gets released outside of Japn. As of now it's Japn exclusive which is gonna piss a lot of people off.

It's Capcom so it'll probably be released here. Still its funny that despite all the bitching they got from people saying DMC3 was too hard they want and added a mode that's even harder than the current ones.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
I truly can't think of another game I've played that deserves GotY more than this yet.

DDS1/2 are close, and RE4 was neat, even NG:B, but this still gets my vote up to this point.

Top Bottom