• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Speevy's Brief Impressions - Devil May Cry 3

Docpan said:
The awesomeness of Ninja Gaiden totally ruined DMC3 for me.

Opposite experience for me! The awesomness of DMC3 dethroned Ninja Gaiden as my favorite action title this gen. :D Full circle baby, story, action, and replay value.

Press start, go to status, then file.

It has video tutorials on how to do all the game's various moves etc., from the obvious to intricate. That should help you (to whoever said they wanted practice to do more combos)

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
I just started DMC3 (and god of war, too). Playing through God of War on "hard" and Devil May Cry 3 on "normal." Interesting choices of words there by the devs ;b

...I'm glad someone mentioned the part about saving your orb count during a mission. Despite dying a ton at least I feel like I'm making a little progress with each attempt outside of the warm fuzzy feeling of "I'll do better next time!"

Fun game. Died more times on mission 3 than I did in the entirety of ninja gaiden on normal...

EviLore said:
I just started DMC3 (and god of war, too). Playing through God of War on "hard" and Devil May Cry 3 on "normal." Interesting choices of words there by the devs ;b

...I'm glad someone mentioned the part about saving your orb count during a mission. Despite dying a ton at least I feel like I'm making a little progress with each attempt outside of the warm fuzzy feeling of "I'll do better next time!"

Fun game. Died more times on mission 3 than I did in the entirety of ninja gaiden on normal...

--CERBERUS DEFENSE TACTIC--

I suggest playing on easy, or watching a few video tutorials via website I linked above.

The biggest advice I can give when fighting Cerberus.

Is don't attack his paws when 'he's following you.'

So basically, attack the paw that is farthest from the side wall--that implies Cerberus is 'looking' at the other wall that you aren't next to. So 'he's not following you' thus you are safe. Shotgun (level 2) the paw, do a few slashes (put some Stinger moves R1+Foward+/\) and then shotgun the ice off his face. If you're using SwordMaster, Air rave the fuck out of it.

Remember, if he's 'following/tracking you' keep moving left to right, paw to paw until you break from that pattern.

The only attack that can harm you when he's not tracking/following you is the ice fall down one. And I'll be blunt, you really have to be half retarded to get hit by those.

Some basic concepts.

Million Stab, get used to doing it.

You can do it two ways. /\, (pause) /\ /\ (mash /\ furiously)

Or cancel into it from a Stinger R1+Foward+(mash /\) furiously.

Check the file listings in the menu to see how to do em' all.

PM me if you have any other problems (don't worry, from the various boards and how long this game has been out, all my (and other board goers) strats are saved, I just copy and paste em'.

Speevy said:
I'm on level 5 now, but I can't figure out where to go. Maybe it's right in front of my face.

As soon as you start in the hallway you fought Gigapede before, you |
|are surrounded by some Blood Goyles. Take'em out to unlock the door at |
|the top which you came from. Go through it and take a look at that |
|broken staircase. Hmm...we're gonna find a way to cross it, but of |
|course, we can't fly yet. Take the door on right to get back to The |
|Devils Tower. On top of it, on the side of the window is a mechanism |
|in which you have to use the Wheel-Gear you got from the jester. This |
|will move the blocking stones some levels below. Remember the blue door|
|which you entered earlier? On one level above it and a little forward |
|towards left were the blocking stones. After they are moved, go there |
|to find a fork thingy called Vajura (during the whole guide you may |
|not be able to understand Chamber of Echoes' locations correctly, so |
|try to find your way around these stairs yourself if you can't reach |
|something). You can use the Divinity Statue on the ground level of |
|the chamber. Go back in the blue door you previously entered, kill the |
|Hell Prides, go into the door at the top of the stairs. In the room, |
|jump upon the ledge on either sides of the room and follow them to a |
|space in which a mechanism rests in which you can use Vajura. After |
|using it the cage on the stairs will be lifted, go there to find Soul |
|of Steel, which'll let you freely walk over the broken staircase I was talking |
|about earlier. But No! not that fast, kill those Enigmas and Hell |
|Gluttonies in the room. After you've done with all of the demons, go |
|back to the door and follow your way back to the Chamber of Echoes. |
|Go into the brownish door some levels above in which the staircase |
|was broken. And when you are in, walk the gap. No you won't fall |
|instead you'll walk through the air because of the Soul of Steel. |
|Attack the statue on the right with Cerberus several times to drop a |
|blue orb fragment. After getting it, use the Soul of Steel on the |
|big door in front of you, enter it, and press circle near the read |
|box on the wall beside the rune clock to enter Secret Mission 2. |
| |
|Secret Mission 2: Untouchable |
|You have to defeat those Enigmas without getting damaged, just jump |
|a lot to avoid their blades and slash'em whenever you get chance. |
|Remember that as soon as you get even touched by their blades, you'll |
|fail the mission. Clear it to get a blue orb fragment. |
| |
|After you've completed the secret mission, you'll be back in the room. |
|Activate the platform using the rune clock and fight your way through |
|Hell Prides while going up. Be careful not to fall down as you'll have |
|to activate it again. After you've reached the top, follow the ledge |
|to a Divinity Statue and some destructible objects for gaining red |
|orbs. Go into the door to face a battle with a couple of twin ... |
|swords. |
| |
|Boss Battle: Agni & Rudra |

Biggest advice I can give you, is span Revolver Level 2 via Cerberus.

The whole point is to 'parry' with the enemy three times. Do so, and you'll knock the sword out of his hands, then combo his defensless ass. Shoudl take off 1/2 of his health in one run.

Make sure you only kill off one of the brothers when the other is nearly dead as well.

This --IMO, is the hardest boss fight in Devil May Cry 3 Dante's Awakening---

I suggest you have 4 large vital stars for the fight. Especially if you're playing on normal.

I just finished that mission. Man, it took me about 2 hours to find out that there's a invisible bridge! Fuck!

Btw I play on easy mode now, I like that for practising...

TerryLee81 said:
I just finished that mission. Man, it took me about 2 hours to find out that there's a invisible bridge! Fuck!

Btw I play on easy mode now, I like that for practising...

Another tip. You can read item descriptions in the item-menu listings.

That's how I first figured out that the Soul whatever item lets you walk over the broken bridge.

There is a lot to look at in DMC3's menu, take a tour of it.

Oh, and btw* the combat ajudicators work only if you mix up your special attacks and combo's. Repeating the same moves won't ignite the flames on it.

I always use Trickster...I didn't like the other styles all that much...I used to like swordmaster, but soon, when I learned to be good with Trickster, it became the default style for me. Going crazy all over the levels, jumping, shooting, combos, the works...It made me feel like a pro. :D

Foil

I just bought this game for $14 CDN (thank you FutureShop price match). Haven't played a DMC game since the original. I'll probally get destroyed at first.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
--CERBERUS DEFENSE TACTIC---

Err thanks for the tips, but I was on mission 5 when I wrote that post ;b. To take out cerberus I went for some ebony & ivory spam, and when he rushed forward I'd come in from the side and attack with melee until his position reset.

I'm not going to play on easy mode, though... I've never played any game on easy mode before, and I don't care if DMC3 is the hardest game this gen or whatever.

EviLore said:
Err thanks for the tips, but I was on mission 5 when I wrote that post ;b. To take out cerberus I went for some ebony & ivory spam, and when he rushed forward I'd come in from the side and attack with melee until his position reset.

I'm not going to play on easy mode, though... I've never played any game on easy mode before, and I don't care if DMC3 is the hardest game this gen or whatever.

How'd you do on Agni and Rudra...aka, the hardest objective in DMC3?

...that or the secret mission where you have to stay a-float in the air for 20 seconds.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
I've only tried mission 5 once so far, so I'll get back to you on that.

I haven't found any secret missions yet, though. Not too concerned if they're just bonus orbs, since I get so many of those from my repeated attempts of the regular missions.

EviLore said:
I've only tried mission 5 once so far, so I'll get back to you on that.

I haven't found any secret missions yet, though. Not too concerned if they're just bonus orbs, since I get so many of them from my repeated attempts of the regular missions.

O_O

o_O

Woah, I'd start replaying the missions (via mission select mode)

Secret missions don't give you red orbs, they give you blue orbs, you know the orbs that increase your fuckin life bar :b

You're gonna find yourself -real- screwed if you take on some of the later missions with only a 50% health Dante.

You're also doing the Combat Ajudicators too right?

PS: You can buy blue orbs (from the menu), but they only take you so far. However purple orbs will fully max out your devil trigger guage.

This'll help you

Speevy

Banned
A couple of comments on Devil May Cry 3 as it relates to Ninja Gaiden.

-The levels I've played in DMC3 are much smaller than those in Ninja Gaiden. Because of this fact, battles are more of a challenge.
-The fact that enemies exist at multiple heights on the screen, teleport, and can come in 3 types at once makes the strategy for winning a given battle more dynamic. And you can't merely bounce off an enemy's head (at least not yet) to avoid an attack. Of course, there was no super-duper dash in NG to get out of the way.

It would seem that while a powerful attack does more to scatter your enemies, individual slashes with the sword do more damage to an individual enemy. This is also a difference from Ninja Gaiden.

Overall though, I'd say the games are pretty similar in quality. As C-Warrior has mentioned, the combo system in DMC3 is far more dynamic, while individual moves in Ninja Gaiden are so much more powerful. For example, the flying swallow does serious damage to most enemies in the original Ninja Gaiden, while the downward skull-crushing thing (forgot the exact name) only stuns the DMC3 enemy.

The bosses in level 5 are very fun. I haven't defeated them yet, but I like their charging attacks and how they lose their swords.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
oh, blue orbs? Hah, yeah I guess that's important. I already bought three from the store, but since the next one is 20k I'd rather that sort of amount go towards abilities and all that.

Speevy said:

-The levels I've played in DMC3 are much smaller than those in Ninja Gaiden. Because of this fact, battles are more of a challenge.
-The fact that enemies exist at multiple heights on the screen, teleport, and can come in 3 types at once makes the strategy for winning a given battle more dynamic. And you can't merely bounce off an enemy's head (at least not yet) to avoid an attack. Of course, there was no super-duper dash in NG to get out of the way.

It would seem that while a powerful attack does more to scatter your enemies, individual slashes with the sword do more damage to an individual enemy. This is also a difference from Ninja Gaiden.

Overall though, I'd say the games are pretty similar in quality. As C-Warrior has mentioned, the combo system in DMC3 is far more dynamic, while individual moves in Ninja Gaiden are so much more powerful. For example, the flying swallow does serious damage to most enemies in the original Ninja Gaiden, while the downward skull-crushing thing (forgot the exact name) only stuns the DMC3 enemy.

The bosses in level 5 are very fun. I haven't defeated them yet, but I like their charging attacks and how they lose their swords.

Actually you can jump off enemies head ala Ninja Gaiden. But as with many other things, DMC3 goes deeper than that. You can -INFINTELY- jump off enemies heads.

In fact, one of the secret missions requires you to jump off enemies' heads and not touch the ground for 20 seconds.

Also, you can jump off enemies heads/bodies after performing a rising hightime (or any launcher move with any weapon).

R1+Back+/\ *press and hold /\

When you've launched yourself up with, press the analog stick toward the enemy and continually jump over and back over infinitely while pumping it full of ebony and ivory. Remember, you have to shoot it while doing so to suspend it in the air.

You can stay afloat as long as the enemy remains alive.

Next, a sort of parlor trick--is that if you use GUNSLINGER, you can perform about 15 rainstorms in the air.

Double Jump, press O to do Rain storm (in air), then immedialty cancel into a regular (square button) shoot, then cancel -back into- a Rainstorm. If done fast enough, you can bust out about 15 rainstorms.

For Agni and Rudra, Revolver level 2 is your best friend. Parry the enemy, and make him drop his sword.

Another good strategy is stand between them, and let them eat each other (ofcourse dodge in the process).

Speevy said:
Overall though, I'd say the games are pretty similar in quality.

Both games do the action bit really well, but as I've said before--what makes DMC3 better for me, is that it just doesn't stop at awesome action and great controls. DMC3 has more RPG elements, 100x's better story, characters, and cinemas, and carry over stats that give a great sense of replay value. I just feel Team Ninja stopped at good action and amazing graphics, while Capcom went the full circle with DMC3. Aside from this and Legacy of Kain (defiance) action games usually have ass stories and lame characters.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Phew, if the mission 5 boss is arguably the hardest in the game then I guess I just needed some adjustment time for the first few missions. Took them out on my second try, using three small vital stars. Not too bad. Kinda wanted to try going through the game without using any consumables (that was the first), but that can wait until later.

But yeah, starting DMC3 has made me totally lose interest in God of War ;(

Kangu

Banned
EviLore said:
Phew, if the mission 5 boss is arguably the hardest in the game then I guess I just needed some adjustment time for the first few missions. Took them out on my second try, using three small vital stars. Not too bad. Kinda wanted to try going through the game without using any consumables (that was the first), but that can wait until later.

NOOOOOOOOOOO!!1 Vital stars are evil! With enough vital stars you can even cruise through DMC3 in DMD mode, its far better to get good enough at fighting the bosses that you can beat them without losing more than half of your health... you might just need that skill ;)

About Agni and Rudra, I find that it's only the most difficult boss fight because its the only one with two opponents, and the camera already suck when tracking one opponent... so 2 just makes it very frustrating. A lot of their attack audio cues are also similar sounding grunting noises, which makes things harder when one of them is of screen.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Yeah I see where you're coming from. Well, I'll try to finish the game without using any more vital stars then. Maybe some yellow orbs to save some frustration though, if that doesn't make me less hardcore ;b. I didn't realize that yellow orbs just let you restart from the last room; thought they would bring you back from the dead in the same fight so I hadn't bought any.

Vergil 1 was pretty straightforward.

EviLore said:
Phew, if the mission 5 boss is arguably the hardest in the game then I guess I just needed some adjustment time for the first few missions. Took them out on my second try, using three small vital stars. Not too bad.

Don't worry dude. It won't kill you to use a few vital stars (and good planning, buy the small ones so they go up in price, and keep the large ones low for later on, I even didn't see that before hand, good strategy)

DMC3 is not hard at all, just realize for a game that has the button mash-high speed feel, it's actually very damn strategic.

As I just pointed out, even buying the fuckin items has strategy and planning to it. And trust me, you'll want to replay DMC3 on hard mode.

EvilLore said:
Not too bad. Kinda wanted to try going through the game without using any consumables (that was the first), but that can wait until later

The game shows you the ending, the credits, and depending on how you did the secret ending or not, then it'll throw you right into hard mode. And trust me, you'll want to play the game from scratch on hard with your powered up Dante. Fighting Cerberus with Nevan and Beowulf with a Level 3 Swordmaster makes it a whole damn new game. And unlike some other games *coughgodofwarcough*, DMC3 on harder modes causes the actual game to change. It's just not mathematical (i.e, enemies hit harder etc.) rather new enemy placements, A.I patterns, and situations occur. Like DMC1 and Ninja Gaiden for instance (if your familiar with those titles)

EviLore said:
Phew, if the mission 5 boss is arguably the hardest in the game then I guess I just needed some adjustment time for the first few missions. Took them out on my second try, using three small vital stars..

Agni and Rudra (imo) to me were the hardest bosses. The bosses later on get harder, but by then you'll start becoming a DMC ass-kicking machine, you'll soon realize that it's like your hands have a mind of it's own, and you're pulling off long ass combo chains without thinking, it's really combat euphoria. But bear in mind of course, any upcoming boss will kill you within seconds if you drop your focus.

EvilLore said:

GoW is opposite to DMC3. Whereas DMC3 has 12+ bosses, 10+ weapons, and mutiple DT's and fighting styles, GoW has 2 weapons, and 3 bosses. And also, the easiest DMC3 boss, is deeper than GoW's final boss. You'll know what DMC3 boss I refer to, *hint, it's the one you'll probably beat without getting hit more than 2 or so times lol*

And the A.I patterns and strategy required to beat those...3 bosses, is basically mash square and hold block. But the game takes about 6 or so hours to beat and you should only die once or twice through the whole affair, so you should breeze by it and experience it fast enough, and move on to better things like beating DMC3 on Dante Must Die mode :)

EDIT:

EvilLore said:
Vergil 1 was pretty straightforward.

My avatar am cry :(

Oh, and the cutscene after the Vergil 1 fight imo is probably one of the most badass cutscenes ever. :lol

sly

Banned
Kangu said:
NOOOOOOOOOOO!!1 Vital stars are evil! With enough vital stars you can even cruise through DMC3 in DMD mode, its far better to get good enough at fighting the bosses that you can beat them without losing more than half of your health... you might just need that skill ;)

Not really; I remember when I first played
Vergil 3
on DMD mode, I bought a lot of vital stars but didn't realize that he
heals himself when changes into demon form
:lol I couldn't beat him as fast as he recovered and I ended up using all my vital stars :lol After a lot of practice I was able to beat him without any vital star :D

Kangu said:
About Agni and Rudra, I find that it's only the most difficult boss fight because its the only one with two opponents, and the camera already suck when tracking one opponent... so 2 just makes it very frustrating. A lot of their attack audio cues are also similar sounding grunting noises, which makes things harder when one of them is of screen.

It was exactly the opposite for me; I thought they were the easiest bosses in the game :lol DMD mode is a different story though....

sly said:
I thought they were the easiest bosses in the game :lol DMD mode is a different story though....

My god the nightmares. Agni and Rudra on DMD--I swear to this day I cannot SS rank that goddamn mission.

First, its probably one of the longer missions (more areas to mess up, get hit, lose rank) and fighting them I have to use at least one vital star and still I get hit one too many times and that brings my damage rank lower and at best, I'll get a regular S, not an SS)

Speevy

Banned
I just had to bump this. Something incredible happened today.

I was renting a movie and I happened to stumble upon a used copy of this game for 14 bucks! I checked the condition and it's surprisingly good. No scratches or anything.

So now I can finish this amazing game. Talk about luck!

:D

Top Bottom