• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spelunky |OT| With Fate Guiding My Every Move

So many clever tie-ins with the mechanics (I know one is a glitch lol, but generally too), love this game. (I know about the ghost and
lava
too).

Thanks again guys.

Any levels with clouds or wall-bouncing items? If not it seems like there is room for more! Would a drill, double-speed potion/slowmo gun or bionic commando swing be too much? :p I'm down for any dlc or sequel/next game from the devs.
Also there was something kinda puzzling me about the start menu with the items that sometimes get attached to the spearheads that come out as you select an option. It doesn't seem like they appear randomly but haven't figured it out yet, maybe I should just keep at it.

So many nice little touches, you can tell it was made with love.
The attention to detail for a game so simple in its premise (relatively speaking) is kinda endearing. Ropes burning when they touch lava caught me off-guard at random when I fell into a pool because of it; it's perfectly logical that fire would do that, but it's not something you see very often in other games (never mind spontaneously) or even have it matter in a non-scripted life-or-death situation. If Derek Yu ever does expand on Spelunky, I want to see more of this; like having your bombs fizzle out if you drop them in water (only to manually re-ignite them) or make it so the shotgun doesn't work anymore once doused in water. The latter would add another strategic approach to shopkeepers and it would make jumping on water another 'advanced' trick worth mastering too.

Bananasaurux Rex is on a WR score run at the moment if anyone's interested.

http://www.twitch.tv/bananasaurus_rex

The only downside is that he has Doxy on Skype and her volume is insanely loud compared to his. So if you turn it down, you can barely hear him talking.
The man
threw in Temple Grounds with the accidental scepter pick-up right when he was wrapping up the level. Was making good progress too; already had 1,66 million without trespassing the City of Gold.

Grinchy

Banned
The man
threw in Temple Grounds with the accidental scepter pick-up right when he was wrapping up the level. Was making good progress too; already had 1,66 million without trespassing the City of Gold.

That was so horrible to watch. I was getting really tired so I just took my phone to my bed with me and watched from there. When that happened, my jaw dropped for like a minute. It was such a horrible way for a great run to end.

Grinchy

Banned
That may as well be Spelunky's tagline! :D

LOL this is true

Brex always has some crappy death when I watch his streams. And it's extra frustrating because he'll spend a week straight ending a run just because he couldn't ghost every gem on a stage. So when he has a good score seed, and he has 10+ health, and everything is going just right, I totally feel his pain when something bad happens.

Jindrael

Banned
Just finished my first Ironman run on Vita-Spelunky.

Put in lots of practice this last week and it feels sooo good to finally beat the game in one go.

Now to try Golden City and Hell runs =)

Put in lots of practice this last week and it feels sooo good to finally beat the game in one go.

If you've already made it to Olmec, then you'll eventually reach the City of Gold without much difficulty. Shouldn't prove to be too hard with the practice you put in.

Cranzor

DNTQJBk.jpg

Got Speedlunky last night! I think I'll go for Low Scorer next.

Magwik

Banned
Hey, can anyone help me out? Every time I go into the options to change the resolution and apply the settings, it doesn't let me back out. WTF is going on?

Skyzard

Banned
The attention to detail for a game so simple in its premise (relatively speaking) is kinda endearing. Ropes burning when they touch lava caught me off-guard at random when I fell into a pool because of it; it's perfectly logical that fire would do that, but it's not something you see very often in other games (never mind spontaneously) or even have it matter in a non-scripted life-or-death situation. If Derek Yu ever does expand on Spelunky, I want to see more of this; like having your bombs fizzle out if you drop them in water (only to manually re-ignite them) or make it so the shotgun doesn't work anymore once doused in water. The latter would add another strategic approach to shopkeepers and it would make jumping on water another 'advanced' trick worth mastering too.

Well put, I haven't run into all of those but definitely similar interactions like you said that make sense but your used to things like that disappointing you in games, Spelunky goes out of its way to make it all interact.

Nicely done, been trying to do Ironman myself but I got cocky after reaching golden city once and now I'm messing up everywhere :p

I died on yesterday's daily because I accidentally selected "End Adventure," and then I mistakingly pressed A instead of B in a hurry too.

That painful 1-1 & 7,5k gold mark of shame after Crysknifing Yama the run prior to it...

zashga

So about the daily challenge... did participation spike for some reason today? The past couple weeks my mediocre performances have gotten me 100-300 in the rankings. Today I did a little bit better and killed Olmec... and placed 1000th.

Edit: Figured it out. Turns out I just played a normal game and was looking at the all-time leaderboard. Silly me.

Hey folks. I'm gonna start posting here, as I'm thoroughly hooked on the game.

I'm at 100 deaths on the PS Vita version (in addition to 150 or so on the XBLA version over a year ago) and I'm finally breaking through. I am able to make it to the ice caves on most runs. Got a shotgun to Tunnel Man and so now I can practice the ice stuff when I want. I've made it to the temple and the mothership one time each.

Feels so good to finally be breaking through!

Just defeated Olmec for my first time ever! It was amazing, I spend most of the run at zero bombs, no shotgun or anything - managed to buy jetpack early though and spike shoes were lifesaving. Now onward to Hell!

Hey folks. I'm gonna start posting here, as I'm thoroughly hooked on the game.

I'm at 100 deaths on the PS Vita version (in addition to 150 or so on the XBLA version over a year ago) and I'm finally breaking through. I am able to make it to the ice caves on most runs. Got a shotgun to Tunnel Man and so now I can practice the ice stuff when I want. I've made it to the temple and the mothership one time each.

Feels so good to finally be breaking through!
Word of advice: Ice Caverns may prove difficult to practice with limited supplies and no mobility items upon taking the shortcut. It's arguably the easiest out of the 4 main worlds however, provided you can acquire either sufficient ropes, Climbing Gloves, Spike Shoes, a Cape or a Jetpack.

Word of advice: Ice Caverns may prove difficult to practice with limited supplies and no mobility items upon taking the shortcut. It's arguably the easiest out of the 4 main worlds however, provided you can acquire either sufficient ropes, Climbing Gloves, Spike Shoes, a Cape or a Jetpack.
Thanks. Yep, it's all a lot harder when you take the shortcuts. I'm aware if that. I'm just so unfamiliar with the ice area at all that just being able to go and intentionally experiment with traps and enemies without feeling like I've lost 8-10 levels of hard work is a blessing. I'd only ever reached that 4 or 5 times in 200+ games. I just need some time to get familiar before I continue with "real" runs.

Jindrael

Banned
Anyone a few tips for Speedlunky?

I don't know a fast way to defeat Olmec, I made it a few times to Olmec with roughly 6-7 minutes on the clock now but just can't kill him fast enough.

mannerbot

Anyone a few tips for Speedlunky?

I don't know a fast way to defeat Olmec, I made it a few times to Olmec with roughly 6-7 minutes on the clock now but just can't kill him fast enough.

Use the resourceless strat:
Trigger his stomp, run out but stay next to him and fall into the hole with him, then walk into him while he's on the ground and run out to the same side when he lifts. Use ropes to clear spawns and climb out of the pit if you don't have a jetpack/climbing gloves.

theytookourjobz

Got rid of my gaming PC a couple months back and really missed Spelunky. Friend of mine gave me his old PS3 this week and I immediately bought Spelunky. Daily Challenges here I come! PSN id is TheyTookOurJobz if anyone wants another Spelunky friend.

Daigoro

just doing some speedlunky runs and I just got four rushing water jungle levels in a row!

odds against that must be insane. two out of three were easy. had to go for a swim in one though.

died like a tool in temple anyways...

just doing some speedlunky runs and I just got four rushing water jungle levels in a row!

odds against that must be insane. two out of three were easy. had to go for a swim in one though.

died like a tool in temple anyways...
The worst I've gotten were two consecutive Rushing Water and Wet Fur stages after 1500+ seeds. Four sounds nigh-on impossible, like a 'once in a blue moon' situation.

I'm looking for some tips here. As far as I understand, there are couple of secret levels (aside from whole Hell thing) - the worm and underground castle (?). Now, I don't want to spoil myself by going to the wiki and reading how to access them, that'll be no fun. But I'm kinda lost here - I don't know where to search for them, my guess is that the worm is somehow connected with that pink thing you sometimes encounter in jungle or ice caves, but that's basically it.
Anyway, could someone be so kind to provide me some hints or general directions about accessing those levels? Without any spoilers if possible.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Anyway, could someone be so kind to provide me some hints or general directions about accessing those levels? Without any spoilers if possible.
The worm
likes movement. But you need to bring a "friend" with you.
That's all I'll say.

And Hell requires
you to bring a book from the city of gold. And the city of gold requires a special item from every main area before it.

I'm looking for some tips here. As far as I understand, there are couple of secret levels (aside from whole Hell thing) - the worm and underground castle (?). Now, I don't want to spoil myself by going to the wiki and reading how to access them, that'll be no fun. But I'm kinda lost here - I don't know where to search for them, my guess is that the worm is somehow connected with that pink thing you sometimes encounter in jungle or ice caves, but that's basically it.
You have the right idea about the Worm. The Castle is part of a re-occuring environmental element in a unique Jungle level. You need to fulfill a bunch of criteria to access Hell, but the game actually provides some subtle visual hints for it. The opening animation (with the spinning figures) once you begin playing for the first time for starters, and somewhere else as you progress along too.

I played a single game of Spelunky today, and it turned into my very first Ironman completion, at 28 minutes or so :). I got a shotgun and jetpack earlyish which definitely helped.

mannerbot

For the Castle, building on Crab Milk Mickey's hint,
it's on a special Jungle level and you should think about what type of people live in castles

I played a single game of Spelunky today, and it turned into my very first Ironman completion, at 28 minutes or so :). I got a shotgun and jetpack earlyish which definitely helped.

Nice one, now go to Hell!

So I ran into a shop with an entrance blocked by a single brick of dirt (mines). I placed a bomb on top of it - next to but definitely outside the shop - and the keeper still went agro. I assume when that happens you just can't get in? Pick axe?

Daigoro

^^^ That's crazy. I love how some crazy rare things will happen in this game.

The worst I've gotten were two consecutive Rushing Water and Wet Fur stages after 1500+ seeds. Four sounds nigh-on impossible, like a 'once in a blue moon' situation.

yeah that was insane. seems impossible, but it happened.

So I ran into a shop with an entrance blocked by a single brick of dirt (mines). I placed a bomb on top of it - next to but definitely outside the shop - and the keeper still went agro. I assume when that happens you just can't get in? Pick axe?

yeah occasionally a shop will be pretty much inaccessable (without pissing off the keeper) because of some stone in the way or an arrow trap. pretty rare though thankfully.

depending on the formation, you could try a bomb so that i just blows up that block or using a pickaxe maybe. but if you destroy any of the store property, the keeper will get upset.

Daigoro

can someone tell me if this is a regular thing, or if it a glitch with the vita version. ive only had it happen to me playing this version and its happened twice in the past few weeks...

im in the ice caves. i got hit in the head with a falling platform and killed instantly with the Ankh in hand. i am equipped with a shotgun and a jetpack. when i respawn via the Ankh, my jetpack is gone and the shotgun is floating in air where i died and cannot be picked up.

pretty sure this exact scenario happened twice to me in a few weeks only on the Vita version. shotgun thing definitely seems like a glitch, but im not sure about the jetpack. actually i guess its my jetpack exploding that kills me instantly? im guessing as ive never had that hapen before except by falling platforms in the ice caves.

edit: just checked the wiki and i see that it will explode under the right circumstances. im guessing my shotgun being unretrieveable is a glitch though? probably because its floating in midair and i cant crouch to pick it up, instead of it falling somewhere...

mannerbot

can someone tell me if this is a regular thing, or if it a glitch with the vita version. ive only had it happen to me playing this version and its happened twice in the past few weeks...

im in the ice caves. i got hit in the head with a falling platform and killed instantly with the Ankh in hand. i am equipped with a shotgun and a jetpack. when i respawn via the Ankh, my jetpack is gone and the shotgun is floating in air where i died and cannot be picked up.

pretty sure this exact scenario happened twice to me in a few weeks only on the Vita version. shotgun thing definitely seems like a glitch, but im not sure about the jetpack. actually i guess its my jetpack exploding that kills me instantly? im guessing as ive never had that hapen before except by falling platforms in the ice caves.

Not keeping the jetpack is a bug, I forget what triggers it on the PC version. The floating shotgun glitch sounds like it's specific to the Vita port.

edit: oh, is being crushed and losing it actually intended? Didn't know that.

Daigoro

yeah it explodes when crushed. i think i actually may have seen that once before, but its rare. looks like Olmec, platforms, and falling blocks, probably crush traps too id guess. but most of those things are instant death no matter how much health you have, so you probably dont get to see the explosion really (except for falling platforms, i think those just knock you out).

happned to me twice recently! zipping around too quick in ice caves. :(

unfortunatly the explosion causes the shotgun to stay put where i die and because of the explosion, its floating in mid air (cause all of the surrounding surfaces have blown up), and cant be picked back up.

meh, it would probably just fall into the abyss anyways.

mannerbot

yeah it explodes when crushed. i think i actually may have seen that once before, but its rare. looks like Olmec, platforms, and falling blocks, probably crush traps too id guess. but most of those things are instant death no matter how much health you have, so you probably dont get to see the explosion really (except for falling platforms, i think those just knock you out).

happned to me twice recently! zipping around too quick in ice caves. :(

unfortunatly the explosion causes the shotgun to stay put where i die and because of the explosion, its floating in mid air (cause all of the surrounding surfaces have blown up), and cant be picked back up.

meh, it would probably just fall into the abyss anyways.

I figured that losing the jetpack was a bug because I think I'd mostly seen it happen on teleports into walls, but when you do that you are being crushed so yeah I guess it actually is intentional. Next time you get that floating shotgun glitch (I mean hopefully you don't lol), try whipping it? But yeah, never seen that one on PC.

Daigoro

I figured that losing the jetpack was a bug because I think I'd mostly seen it happen on teleports into walls, but when you do that you are being crushed so yeah I guess it actually is intentional. Next time you get that floating shotgun glitch (I mean hopefully you don't lol), try whipping it? But yeah, never seen that one on PC.

yeah ive tried whipping and jumping through it like it was in a web, no dice.

Losing items that you held in your hands upon being revived is intentional. Losing the jetpack however is not, outside of certain exceptions. Sometimes you'll lose it if you suicide with a mine (not always but I had it occur before) but if you crush yourself with a falling block / platform, it'll explode guaranteed. The latter is intended behaviour as well.

Latedog's got a BIG score run brewing, 1 mill+ and only starting ice caves. I mean, score runs are still boring as hell, but just in case anybody's interested:
http://www.twitch.tv/latedog

Newbies beware of spoilers as always!
I really wish a patch with rebalancing or a content update would make high-score runs more compelling or exciting to play and watch. Like
being able to summon the ghost manually without having to wait for 2,5 - 3 minutes to expire and have the ghost increase its speed depending for how long it's been active or depending on how many gems it turned into diamonds.
I don't mind it existing, but it's such a non-threat usually once you've gained enough Spelunky know-how.

I've only been able to play the daily challenge for about a week now and had a few bad runs, and two good ones.

First ended at 4-2 when I tried to kite the blocks that move and they crushed me when I jetpacked to a wall with the climbing gloves.

The second was last night. I was trying to be cute with a mine in the ice caves (despite having a bunch of bombs).

I hate/love this game.

Daigoro

I have seen the entrance to hell!

didn't have enough bombs, so I had to quick step with Olmec, but there were those stupid blocks that fall when you break the stone under them in my path and I got trapped. I was one level of stone away.

so close...

Losing items that you held in your hands upon being revived is intentional. Losing the jetpack however is not, outside of certain exceptions. Sometimes you'll lose it if you suicide with a mine (not always but I had it occur before) but if you crush yourself with a falling block / platform, it'll explode guaranteed. The latter is intended behaviour as well.
Yeah the problem in my case is said item is floating in mid air right in plain sight, but it's unable to be retrieved.

I somehow missed that Polygon article about the eggplant run until today. I am just crossing the threshold from novice to intermediate player so while some of the secrets were new to me, it's also going to be quite a damn while before I get to the point of experimenting with all that stuff. Not really a major spoiler, as I'm well aware there are myriad secrets in the game even I don't know what all of them are. I'm so tempted to look at wikis but I've held off for now and want to get to the point where I can experiment for myself. Gotta beat the game first, though.

What a great article and a good sketch of why the game is so awesome. I want to share it with a friend I'm trying to convince to buy the game but it gives too much away.

Daigoro

fuck yeah, just got to Hell for the first time. ive barely played any of the PC version since hooking my laptop up to my TV is a pain, but i started playing this morning and unlocked a crapload of achievements and Journal entries that i hand gotten yet. got to number 3 on my friends leaderboard that run too.

hell is scary! so much stuff i havent seen before and i have no idea how it works. i had zero bombs and a shotgun. i was damn close to the exit, but i tried to head stomp a blue guy and went flying onto some spikes.

been playing all this time and i never spoiled City of Gold or hell for myself, so its been nerve wracking getting to them for the first time. come to think of it, i have had Yama spoiled for me, but i dot really know how you actually get to him, or how you kill him exactly. had forgotten about him when i got to Hell... the shock just wore now.

so damn close!

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Over 500 deaths and I've only gotten to the ice caves twice. Man. Though getting a jetpack before the jungle makes it much easier. But when you have a shopkeeper after you it just makes it so much worse. I made it past like 4 angry shopkeepers (After a boulder pissed them off in 1-2) until the 5th in level 2-2 finally got me due to stupidity and not waiting. I had knocked him out with the idol and stupidly went to check on him instead of grabbing the damsel and running in the door. D'OH! Man this is fun.

mannerbot

fuck yeah, just got to Hell for the first time. ive barely played any of the PC version since hooking my laptop up to my TV is a pain, but i started playing this morning and unlocked a crapload of achievements and Journal entries that i hand gotten yet. got to number 3 on my friends leaderboard that run too.

hell is scary! so much stuff i havent seen before and i have no idea how it works. i had zero bombs and a shotgun. i was damn close to the exit, but i tried to head stomp a blue guy and went flying onto some spikes.

been playing all this time and i never spoiled City of Gold or hell for myself, so its been nerve wracking getting to them for the first time. come to think of it, i have had Yama spoiled for me, but i dot really know how you actually get to him, or how you kill him exactly. had forgotten about him when i got to Hell... the shock just wore now.

so damn close!

Nice! It's really not that bad once you get acclimated to the area, but yeah you do need to manage resources better (or get more of them). As with Temple, not having bombs in Hell can be a death sentence. You'll get it soon!

Over 500 deaths and I've only gotten to the ice caves twice. Man. Though getting a jetpack before the jungle makes it much easier. But when you have a shopkeeper after you it just makes it so much worse. I made it past like 4 angry shopkeepers (After a boulder pissed them off in 1-2) until the 5th in level 2-2 finally got me due to stupidity and not waiting. I had knocked him out with the idol and stupidly went to check on him instead of grabbing the damsel and running in the door. D'OH! Man this is fun.

Just start killing shopkeepers every run, it'll be tough when you first start learning but you'll instantly be soooooo much better (and just as importantly, so much better prepared item-wise) if you can hang. Like, learning how to fight shopkeepers is really tough but it's basically a Spelunky boot camp with huge rewards at the end; learning how to beat the game without robbing the shopkeepers will take a lot longer.

Top Bottom