• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spider-Man graphics downgrade?

ILLtown

IGN are taking a rather mocking tone with gamers who are claiming that Spider-Man's graphics have been downgraded: -

Here's an example though: -

E3 2017: -

YM9YtX8.jpg

Actual game: -

KIkh9xn.jpg

What do you think?

CJY

Banned
Lighting and shadows do look downgraded from those screens alright.

If you look at the right hand side of the image though... the blue sheet covering the cargo, the shadows look improved there

Last edited:
Gotta save those reflections for the PS5s RTX remaster.

"Theres nothing wrong with lower framerates if the visuals are top notch!"

"who cares about the downgrade if it means smoother gameplay!"

xviper

the game's graphics overall is mediocre, why would anyone care about a graphical downgrade for it ?

Adry9

the game's graphics overall is mediocre, why would anyone care about a graphical downgrade for it ?
I don't, and I think it looks good. But don't pee on me and tell me it's raining.

EDIT: Sorry for the double post, I'm on my phone.

Last edited:
Those are 1:1 quality level of Nvidias RTX water reflections.

They are now gone.

Go watch what BF5 is supposedly doing and compare the level of detail in those reflection with the before shot in this OP.

Last edited:

CJY

Banned
The grating at the bottom of the image looks better now than before too.

Overall, I wouldn’t say there’s a downgrade. When scrutinising the images, it could be argued there’s a downgrade, but I think it’s more to do with tweaking the lighting settings.

While the current visuals “pop” less than before, I feel that overall, the image is more balanced and it’s more realistic.

dirthead

Banned
Something that always cracks me up when new games are shown off for the first time: someone will point out a problem with the graphics, and then the inevitable fanboy will respond, "lol the game's not done yet I'm sure it'll be fixed" even though no game ever in the history of our planet has actually had its graphics improved from announcement trailer to launch. Everything gets downgraded. That's how game development goes: shit gets cut so the game can be pushed out the door. I remember that leaked e3 build of Doom 3 that came out. It had higher resolution textures and more detailed geometry than what shipped in the final game. The original last level of Quake 1 got scrapped because it used too much RAM. Witcher 3 was butchered. Every Naughty Dog game got decimated. It's true of literally every game ever.

Ignoring cases of where games were straight up scrapped and redone, I don't think I've ever seen an example of a game's graphics being upgraded between e3 reveal and launch.

Last edited:
The grating at the bottom of the image looks better now than before too.

Overall, I wouldn’t say there’s a downgrade. When scrutinising the images, it could be argued there’s a downgrade, but I think it’s more to do with tweaking the lighting settings.

While the current visuals “pop” less than before, I feel that overall, the image is more balanced and it’s more realistic.

You are factually wrong.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Jeez......how long are you guys keep doing this? This always case with E3 showing, they take their time to make visuals as pretty as possible to show off for E3. When the get close to release you will see how game really looks like. At end of the day the game needs able run properly, rights? Don't want the game runs smooth as possible without FPS drops?

Last edited:

octiny

Banned
Definitely downgraded. Shame. Textures, lighting, shadows etc.

I'm sure it'll be a good game though.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
I’m more surprised by there’s still many saying the new shots even look better. There’s always these guys, but it just seems like to be more accepted when it’s an Sony exclusive. Like everything else Sony pulls.

Artistic changes, nothing more

Autistic reasoning.

Removing reflections (that rival the recent Nv presentations no less) and lighting, is not a creative decision. A creative decision is architectural, geometry, color, shape, size, sound, TOD, height of the grass or the length of a street.

Removing realistic reflections, lighting and shadows is downgrading.

CJY

Banned
Dark1X(digital foundry), over at the other place said this:

“Well, I’m talking about the shots that have been shared - not the game as a whole. I’m saying elements in that scene have improved.”

I just came across this literally now. Saying exactly the same thing as I said... some elements actually look better. Of course there are changes, not denying that, but I actually don’t see anything egregious

Senhua

It's hilarious when come to something like this all mainstream media go forward defending the developer but not when some SJW's criticize sexualize char design rethoric. lol pathetic hypocrite gaijin.

Last edited:

Danjin44

I’m more surprised by there’s still many saying the new shots even look better. There’s always these guys, but it just seems like to be more accepted when it’s an Sony exclusive. Like everything else Sony pulls.
Man, you take every opportunity to shit on Sony, don't you? Do you have some kind of personal hate for Sony?

CJY

Banned
Autistic reasoning.

Removing reflections (that rival the recent Nv presentations no less) and lighting, is not a creative decision. A creative decision is architectural, geometry, color, shape, size, sound, TOD, height of the grass or the length of a street.

I take your point about the reflection being downgraded. But they were always screen-space reflections in spider-man, something that the PS4 is eminently capable of, regardless of what NV showed off

Everything that makes the game visually stand out has been removed. The specular maps and the overall level of detail on the suit, reflections have been significantly downgraded, there seems to be no ambient occlusion (or very little) if you look under the yellow cables(?) on the left, the lighting also seems a lot less realistic. There is no shadow under Spidey...

And don't give me that "it's different time of day"-excuse. The shadow on the building in the background has the exact same positioning and details... this is the same time of day in both screenshots.

I'll still get the game, but downgrades as egregious as this are always a bummer... but I always thought that it looked too good to be true.

Last edited:
Dark1X(digital foundry), over at the other place said this:

“Well, I’m talking about the shots that have been shared - not the game as a whole. I’m saying elements in that scene have improved.”

I just came across this literally now. Saying exactly the same thing as I said... some elements actually look better. Of course there are changes, not denying that, but I actually don’t see anything egregious

Such as?

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
It's objectively a downgrade. It's more surprising that, well, people are surprised at this point. This happens with the majority of AAA titles. It's not going to make the game worse.

The_Mike

Man, you take every opportunity to shit on Sony, don't you? Do you have some kind of personal hate for Sony?

Not really, just tiresome to see how Sony gets away with so much this gen when everyone else gets flak for their mistakes and lies.

Shifty

Oh great, Nvidia announces a piece of new tech and immediately their proprietary 'RTX' terminology becomes the standard GAF term for 'reflections'. On a playstation platform. With an AMD GPU.

The simple answer is to wait for footage and then let Digital Foundry do their thing, but I guess the local fanboys will whip themselves into a fervor regardless.

'Objective' indeed.

Allandor

This is just the normal development vs live build comparision. While in development the game is not optimized for steady performance.
Really people just shouldn't what something like demos to get a feeling how it will look at the end. Just watch trailers to get an impression of the gameplay.
But I really don't know why developers don't just answers something like this with the truth.
Btw, the sun-position might have changed, too, which also results in different lighting.

This is just the normal development vs live build comparision. While in development the game is not optimized for steady performance.
Really people just shouldn't what something like demos to get a feeling how it will look at the end. Just watch trailers to get an impression of the gameplay.
But I really don't know why developers don't just answers something like this with the truth.
Btw, the sun-position might have changed, too, which also results in different lighting.

Made up term of the month.

We did. We watched the trailers they put out to the world showing people what to expect.

Claiming that because youve been mislead in the past means that you should accept being misled in the future and not get hyped by content created to create hype and expectation...is the most absurd form of reasoning ive ever come across and again, seems to be exclusive to video gaming.

Danjin44

It's funny the way people reacting here and still expecting next gen have high end graphics with 4K resolution and 60 FPS as standard. Please ask yourself why developers choose shiny graphics over higher FPS?

The answer is this:

It's funny the way people reacting here and still expecting next gen have high end graphics with 4K resolution and 60 FPS as standard. Please ask yourself why developers choose shiny graphics over higher FPS?

The answer is this:

Next gen is a term that refers to high end graphics. The gaming industry came up with this term to advertise and claim such.

I dont see anyone in this thread or another claiming they were told to expect 4k 60fps. Though 4k is what the gaming industry has been promising since the lead up to the current gen consoles, along with the TV industry.

Theyve all yet to make even hdr or 4k standard despite pushing it for so long. Now were suppose to be wowed by downgrades and reflections.

Last edited:

The_Mike

60 FPS is a term that has taken speed during this gen. It has always been possible to get high framerates on pc, whereas games often ran very low end framerate on the PS1 for an example.

This gen we have been introduced to a lot of 60 FPS games compared to the last, which means more people has experienced it and has realized how important it is for the fluent gameplay.

I don’t care if next gen has 4K, seriously just give me 60 fps. Or just give me 4K with lesser textures and 60 FPS. CoD ain’t a graphic seller, but it’s running 60 FPS every time and it gets praised for it.

60 FPS is a term that has taken speed during this gen. It has always been possible to get high framerates on pc, whereas games often ran very low end framerate on the PS1 for an example.

This gen we have been introduced to a lot of 60 FPS games compared to the last, which means more people has experienced it and has realized how important it is for the fluent gameplay.

I don’t care if next gen has 4K, seriously just give me 60 fps. Or just give me 4K with lesser textures and 60 FPS. CoD ain’t a graphic seller, but it’s running 60 FPS every time and it gets praised for it.

The only 60fps games outside of unintensive indie games is COD and Forza. Where are these many 60fps games on console that dont show up on my version of the live/psn store?

Last edited:

Danjin44

I dont see anyone in this thread or another claiming they were told to expect 4k 60fps.
Not in this thread but if you look at thread about predicting when next gen comes out you see lot of people expecting 4K and 60 FPS as standard. But even with extra power developers will choose more detail visuals and bigger open world over higher FPS and base on reaction here and Cyberpunk 2077 gameplay, I think most people want this as well.

Last edited:

00ich

IGN are taking a rather mocking tone with gamers who are claiming that Spider-Man's graphics have been downgraded: -

Here's an example though: -

E3 2017: -

YM9YtX8.jpg

Actual game: -

KIkh9xn.jpg

What do you think?

That could be an artistic decision. They seem to use cubemaps with some sort of normal mapping in both screens, so I don't see how they saved much with the change. Maybe the huge pools didn't look convincing when fighting in/on them or they had weired angles were the cubemap obviously didn't map the surrounding once the camera was in a different position. So the more subtle use might be just better in their opinion.

Last edited:
Not in this thread but if you look at thread about predicting when next gen comes out you see lot of people expecting 4K and 60 FPS as standard.

This game wasnt advertised as a next gen game. So what do those threads have to do with this game?

But even with extra power developers will choose more detail visuals and bigger open world over higher FPS and base on reaction here and Cyberpunk 2077 gameplay, I think most people want this as well.

If thats the case, then why the downgrade?

CJY

Banned
Dark1x also says the lighting and shadows have actually improved in the final build.

As a videographer myself, I can say can lighting and shadow can look vastly different from one frame to the next. I’m withholding full judgement until later. I’m also not defending the game, I’m not even gonna be playing it day one

Boss Mog

It's obviously been downgraded; to say otherwise is to be disingenuous. That being said the downgrade isn't huge and shouldn't affect gameplay.

00ich

Autistic reasoning.

How are you not seeing that there are still reflections? The overall effect is just less flashy and the more I look at it the more the first screen looks completly unrealistic. I mean what is going on there? How can there be deep puddles with amounts of water that can generate waves on a concrete floor? Why is the in a much darker shade of blue than the actual sky?

Most of the time it because the game won't run as smoothly as it should with those graphics. It's better for a game that plays smoothly rather than have shiny graphics.

Not in this thread but if you look at thread about predicting when next gen comes out you see lot of people expecting 4K and 60 FPS as standard. But even with extra power developers will choose more detail visuals and bigger open world over higher FPS and base on reaction here and Cyberpunk 2077 gameplay, I think most people want this as well.

Im not sure if youre aware, but your keyboard is plugged in. So do be aware that when you press the keys in vernacular fashion, that there is a chance that whats in your headspace may appear on screen for everyone to see, even if its contradicting from one sentence to another.

to reach at least stable 30fps?

Then the target shouldve of been 30 from the start. Not pretty slideshows that have been passed though samsungs motion plus filter.

Last edited:

CJY

Banned
Im not sure if youre aware, but your keyboard is plugged in. So do be aware that when you press the keys in vernacular fashion, there maybe a chance that whats in your headspace, may appear on screen for everyone to see, even if its contradicting from one sentence to another.

Then the target shouldve of been 30 from the start. Not pretty slideshows that have been passed though samsungs motion plus filter.

How big is that branch you have stuck up your ass? You should maybe try go get that removed.

Danjin44

Im not sure if youre aware, but your keyboard is plugged in. So do be aware that when you press the keys in vernacular fashion, there maybe a chance that whats in your headspace, may appear on screen for everyone to see, even if its contradicting from one sentence to another.
Well you can't expect play the game that goes blow 30FPS and pretty sure the game always targeted 30FPS.

Hostile_18

Banned
I don't know why it's so hard get around the idea that a game in development is not the finished product.

If the graphics have been upgraded/ downgraded/altered it will be for valid gameplay reasons at behest of the people who are making it.

Unless the developer has come out and said "this is exactly how the game will look when it's released" there's no need for outrage.

I'd be more concerned if during the development the devs wernt aiming to be as ambitious as they could be.

baphomet

60fps has been a talking point for games since the 8/16bit days. It's nothing new, nor were there significantly more 60fps games now versus last gen or vice versa.

Last edited:

Dante83

Banned
Never trust what you see. I expect the same for the other exclusives. Devs may ramp up the graphics for shows like E3 to make it look good.

Top Bottom