• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spider-Man Miles Morales sold 70% less copies than 2018's Spider-Man

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

The game released on PS4 and PS5, what's the reason behind this big decline in sales? for me i didn't buy it because i was already tired of Spider-Man after spending more than 30 hours on the original game, i think Sony made a mistake releasing it too close to the original game.

Don't confuse lower sales to be "bad" sales numbers.

Because I hate black people, right? Is that where this is eventually going? White people can't handle a black Spider-Man? Where's that Kotaku headline?

I'll pick it up when I eventually get a PS5 probably first game was dope.

Funny how you are the only person to mention race though.

I don't think the source would have mattered to the OP regardless:

WHOA! So this dude just hates Spiderman games or something?

Last edited:

Papacheeks

Banned
Going to go out on a limb and say because everyone wants to play it on a PS5. So they are waiting. Thee was enough coverage on the game from previews leading up to launch on top of Digital Foundry and NXGAMER showing that the difference between the two versions is pretty significant.

Especially load times. Would not be surprised if we see sales increase over time when more availability for PS5 starts happening.

Would also argue it was launching during super competitive time software wise. There are a lot of games out, and a lot of black friday sales were already active at the time.

Last edited:

Arun1910

I can think of 6 things.
  1. Wasn't marketed for as long
  2. Wasn't marketed as heavily
  3. Was marketed as PS5 only for quite a while, I bet some don't know it's on PS4 too
  4. Priced wrongly (imo), too high for what it was
  5. Links to point 4 - Length was short
  6. Wasn't massively different to the Original, was a DLC on a bit of larger scale

Md Ray

Most people actually think it’s a PS5 exclusive.

Anecdotal but I have plenty of friends who wants to play Miles Morales but tells me they don’t have a PS5 yet so they haven’t bought the game yet.
Yep. My brother, who's a casual gamer, thought it was a PS5 exclusive lol. He was surprised when I told him it was also available on PS4.

Last edited:

ExpandKong

Banned
Funny how you are the only person to mention race though.

Oh shit very clever, pointing out that I mention race in a post where I very explicitly mention race. Can’t sneak anything past you huh?

Just wait, some game journalist dipshit is going to write the article about how this game’s low sales are “yet another symptom of the inherent racism in the gaming and/or comics community even today” and totally ignore the fact that spin-off DLC games never sell as well as the main ones.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
tenor.gif

Kuranghi

I'm enjoying it so far, great graphics upgrade over 2018 and the camera work is even more top tier.

Although I don't like that they made JJJ into a raving lunatic. I know he was very anti-spiderman before but I believe he still valued human life over his obsession. In MM he was upset that people weren't injured by something spiderman did, because if they were it would make him look bad. I may have got it wrong but I don't remember him being quite so mental before.

Its still better than "The Danikast" though, thats total hand-shandy.

A.Romero

I'm a huge fan and decided to wait until I have a PS5. I think a lot of people might be thinking the same.

It's also not a great deal. I'd be most happy if I get it through PS+ before I get it myself.

Shmunter

Not a popular opinion, but I just don’t find the series to be all that. No real sense of discovery in the world, story not grounded enough and no edge.

Batman’s darker overtones and reliance on tech just make a better game for me.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I'm picking it up for sure, but I'll be waiting until I can get a PS5. I imagine this is the case for many. But then it's also not a full sequel.

Comfortgel

I don't really care for Miles, and TBH I didn't even know it was available for PS4 - I've only ever seen physical PS5 copies in stores.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
you have to wonder if there was any other Spider-Man product out in 2018 which might have fueled consumer demand. oh wait...

81s554UyB%2BL._SL1500_.jpg

oh but that's just a cartoon. it's not like Spider-Man was also featuring in one of the biggest dollar live-action blockbuster movies of all time during the same year-

81V1KTnYKwL._SL1371_.jpg

... ahhh, nevermind ;-p

Last edited:

DelireMan7

Most people actually think it’s a PS5 exclusive.

Anecdotal but I have plenty of friends who wants to play Miles Morales but tells me they don’t have a PS5 yet so they haven’t bought the game yet.
This !
I am not interested in the game but till I read this comment I was sure it was a PS5 exclusive xD

base

Banned

The game released on PS4 and PS5, what's the reason behind this big decline in sales? for me i didn't buy it because i was already tired of Spider-Man after spending more than 30 hours on the original game, i think Sony made a mistake releasing it too close to the original game.
Cause his not white ;)

Aenima

Its a spin-off without Peter Parker. Just that reason alone already make it sell less than a "main" Spider-Man" game. In my case, im just waiting for a price drop to buy it on a sale. Already got my web swinging fix from the original one on PS4, so the thirst to play another Spider-Man is not that big.

Last edited:

YCoCg

Most people I've spoke to thought it was a PS5 exclusive, and when I mentioned the PS4 version the most common reply was "yeah but I'd rather wait and play it on PS5".

No doubt it'll sell more over time as this and Astro Boy are great introductions to the PS5.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
That's a better ratio than UC4 to Lost Legacy. Standalone expansions tend to sell about as well as DLC.

Black lead characters are too woke

200w_d.gif
Original black character in new IP =/= diversity injected into existing IP

Miles is a character from when the comics started going woke and the game itself is littered with woke nonsense. I'd have the same problem if it was susan peters : spiderwoman. Yet plenty of original games with female leads I adore.

Honestly, this stuff was in the 2018 spiderman as well though, but in the first place i'm not thrilled with arkham combat which is just too simple.

Last edited:
You're really using this as a source for all the copies sold? Lol. The game was on top of the PS Store sales charts last month, was near the top of NPD, and will have long legs just like the original. It wasn't Spider Man 2 so of course it wasn't going to sell as well but it's still going to do monster numbers

JaseMath

Good game but after Spider-Man, it felt like more of the same... although I did enjoy the swinging more. Thought it was impressive how Miles doesn't go near as high (per swing) which helps him stay nearer the street, which makes sense given his character/story.

Last edited:

Astral Dog

while Spider-Man was a good game (I platinumed it after all) it wasn't special.

it was a more polished rendition of the Spider-Man formula as it already existed in many older Spider-Man games like Amazing Spider-Man 2 or even older games.

and open world Spider-Man is always set in new york, it always has very similar mission structures and controls, no matter who makes the games.

I guess people aren't interested in yet another one. especially since it's not even a full in sequel but something in-between a sequel and a DLC.

add to that that the first game also had 2 full campaign DLCs and I get why people are not interested.

I also haven't played or bought it yet for exactly the reasons I mentioned
The main campaign is the most fun i had in open world games

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Even that seems high to me, its a short side game. I can’t see why anyone would buy it on PS4, not worth the asking price. Ps5 users need something to play so we get the stupid tax.

Top Bottom