• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spiders - Why we need them/how to live with them

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you kill them that's 10,000 extra mosquitoes, flies, roaches, earwigs, bees and wasps, possible venomous spiders, lizards, and even some small rodents that are now all over your yard and in and around your home, instead. Sometimes you have to pick your poison, and I'd much rather have the 5 spiders than 10,000 other crazy things, personally.
Sounds like BS to me.

As a Brit, we don't have half of these insects, and if by squishing every spider I see I have to deal with a couple more flies and wasps, so be it - I'll squish them too.

Bees I'm cool with - everything else gets to read yesterdays news REALLY upclose.

Koomaster

Yep, I've long since gotten over my fear of spiders. As long as they don't really get in my face like building a web where I normally walk they are more than welcome in my home. I actually hate flies and other flying insects MUCH more, so any spiders that get rid of that menace are friends of mine.

Funny enough just yesterday I went to do some cleaning in the attic, Shook down a curtain and a ton of these stinkbug carcasses fell out. It was seriously about 2 dozen stinkbug carcasses, what a crazy mess. Sure enough in the window was a bunch of webbing. That spider is my damn hero as stinkbugs are the WORST in my area.

So hell yeah, I welcome our new spider overlords. My home is safe home for spiders. Tell your spider friends!

Pakoe

I used to kill every spider i saw, nowadays i let them be. If i kill a mosquito, i just bring it to his web.
We are total bro's.

Thanks for this topic, OP.

Spiders are fascinating, shame though that i have to kill the chilean recluses because they are far too dangerous to be left wandering the house, however, i try to protect the tiger spiders that eat the recluses.

cbox

Spiders are bros in my house, though I have those house centipedes. Those demon spwn get the broom whenever I see them.

Legit question: Are all spiders venomous?

I ask because I've read about countless ones that aren't, but also remember the fact that they can't chew their food. I'd always thought that all spiders had some form of venom, even if it were just to help break down their food enough for them to slurp it up. I've also read about some species that are venomous, but have been improperly labeled as nonvenomous simply because it doesn't do much of anything to a human. If they aren't all venomous, what are a few types and how do they go about digesting their meals?

I respect spiders and what they do. I try not to kill insects as a general rule but it's hard mustering up the courage to find a tissue to pick a spider up. There's just something inherently creepy about these things, I just can't get over it. I do admit to finding some species super cool, though: the trapdoor spider for instance I find fascinating.

dokish

Banned
So you would rather live in a world with 100x more of this
http://www.umaa.org/images/mosquito.jpg
and this
[IMG]http://images.wisegeek.com/common-fly.jpg
and this
[IMG]http://www.naturephoto-cz.com/photos/krasensky/wasp-0071.jpg[/QUOTE]

Why not kill both? (or all of them)

Tommy DJ

Huntsman spiders are totally rad. Whenever I see one in an area I don't want them in, I catch them with a jar and let them outside.

andycapps

I feel like for every one or two spiders I see in my house, there are probably 100 that I don't see. So if I kill that one that my wife is freaking out about, that's okay. I'm not especially fond of them either.

Though I did make a wolf spider a pet when I was a kid. Kept him in one of those mini insect habitat things. I don't think I realized how many insects he needed so he died. I think I fed him some crickets and such. I wouldn't dare do that to a wolf spider now. I do understand how many insects they eat, but being cool with them? Nah. Spiders are just creepy. I think it's how they move. They just sit there forever, and then when they get startled they can move very quickly and unnaturally.

Jaeger

Damn, that's a great OP. I almost want a spider as a pet now

Thank you! And I've actually been researching that very thing, myself!

Sounds like BS to me.

As a Brit, we don't have half of these insects, and if by squishing every spider I see I have to deal with a couple more flies and wasps, so be it - I'll squish them too.

Bees I'm cool with - everything else gets to read yesterdays news REALLY upclose.

They are there. Even if you don't see them, there are there. Every continent is littered with insects minus Antarctica.

I used to kill every spider i saw, nowadays i let them be. If i kill a mosquito, i just bring it to his web.
We are total bro's.

TB5W8WM.jpg

Thanks for this topic, OP.

Spiders are fascinating, shame though that i have to kill the chilean recluses because they are far too dangerous to be left wandering the house, however, i try to protect the tiger spiders that eat the recluses.

That's really my stance on it. I leave most alone, but if I can clearly identify a recluse or widow, I have to evaluate if it's worth risking a bite to get them back outside, or just kill them. This is a stark contrast to my old stance which was to kill everything.

The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

There's a show on BBC4 tomorrow called Spider House, basically filling a house with spiders and filming what they get up to. Like Big Brother but more spider based.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04mqc4z

I have to check this out. Sounds crazy!

Legit question: Are all spiders venomous?

Most spiders are venomous. It's just that most don't have a medically significant effect on humans. Some animals like cats and dogs are immune to some species while those same wrecks us, like the Sydney Funnel-web, and so on and so forth.

I respect spiders and what they do. I try not to kill insects as a general rule but it's hard mustering up the courage to find a tissue to pick a spider up. There's just something inherently creepy about these things, I just can't get over it. I do admit to finding some species super cool, though: the trapdoor spider for instance I find fascinating.

I was just about to talk about that one ;)....

I wanna speak on my favorite species of spiders, which all fall under the infraorder of Mygalomorphae. This infraorder includes tarantulas, funnel-webs, and trapdoor spiders to name a few. In my opinion these are some of the most interesting of all spiders. The trapdoor spiders for instance, are like military tacticians in how they hunt.

They dig a burrow and place silk in various areas of the burrow (sometimes all over), and construct a trapdoor made of soil, vegetation and silk from around the immediate area which they place directly on top. Using silk "trip-wire" around the surface of the burrow, they wait very patiently for anything that may walk by, and quickly jumping out and grabbing anything that trips a wire (which are connected to some of the silk on the inside of the burrow, which the spiders use their legs to sense movement on the outside). They know which direction to pounce in because of this. There is just not much their prey can do about this.

DrZydPR.gif

A genus of trapdoor spiders called Cyclocosmia are even more interesting, and weird by some accounts. You see when threatened, they will actually use their own body as a defense of their home, using their abdomen to seal up the entrance. But it's not a normal abdomen, as they have a very unique one designed just for this very act. A hardened abruptly ending and ribbed back end. Their ass is literally a stopper or plug.

A cool fact is that trapdoor spiders are commonly kept as pets! Easy to care for and house due to their medium size and not needing a huge enclosure (just a large jar of some kind). Funnel-web spiders are similar both in hunting and appearance, and I will speak on that next time.

Chibot

Spiders are great, especially jumping spiders. Unless they end up in my bed, I just leave them alone- and even then, there's only a trip outside in their future.

Jaeger

Thanks to everyone who has participated in this thread so far. Whether you agree with me or not, it's something I feel needed to be discussed. I'll continue to go into detail about species in an attempt to help educate people on them and how they function.

Funnel-webs. Some of you may be familiar with that name, and for good reason. They are three different families that are all commonly known as "funnel-web spiders"; Agelenidae, Dipluridae and Hexathelidae These spiders all build funnel-shaped webs, but outside of that they are all completely different. I'm going to focus a bit on the Hexathedlidae family, which contain arguably the most dangerous known spider in the world.

Examples from these families;
Wek1I1e.jpg

Porrhothele antipodiana
e8xwFJK.jpg

Linothele fallax, also known as the Tiger Spider. Often they build messy webs in holes in trees, the ground and so forth.
gGdNCzA.jpg

Agelenidae, commonly accepted name for these are funnel-weavers.
0MR2Dtn.jpg

Hadronyche modesta aka Victorian funnel-web spider. This one is actually harmless to humans. Looks just like their very venomous cousins, however.

Hexathelidae spiders dig burrows and line them and the outside of the burrow with silk. But don't place doors on top (like trapdoor spiders). They do however use vibrations on the webs to help capture prey. As usual with spiders the males are smaller (but not too much). Most of the species are not a threat to humans, despite what is perpetrated in the media. Only the Australian funnel-webs (Atrax) are dangerous to humans. These are the Northern, Southern, and Sydney Funnel-web spiders respectively.

jqmzwU5.jpg
FhrLStN.jpg

"Hey!! No pictures!"

These guys are special. Incredibly dangerous, as I spoke about in my other thread. These guys can lay you out in one bite. Without immediate medical attention, you can be dead within 15-20 minutes. The good thing is, there have been no reported deaths since 1981 when an anti-venom was created. Brave men and women milk venom straight from the fangs of these notorious killers, so that people who may come in contact and be bitten will have more than a fighting chance at surviving it. In an unusual twist it's the male who gets into most of the trouble, as they wander around looking for mates and occasionally cross paths with humans. They have an unmistakable defensive posture they take when they feel threatened. And don't think a glove or even a shoe will protect you their bite as their fangs can easily puncture them. Also, the males venom is 5 times more potent than the females! And another strange twist, only humans and prime apes are deathly effected by their bites. Cats and dogs shrug it off like it was a mosquito.

HfU2iMR.jpg

They aren't that big however, averaging only an inch or so.

VIDEOS;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMiZq1vWGAk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cc1Bb9YQYtU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-30XNUWudY

If anyone has a particular spider they'd like me to go over a little, let me know! Next up is the Orb weavers!

Stulaw

I like spiders, I have a friend from back in Secondary School who had 13 pet Tarantulas. I once saw quite a large spider that someone squished because of its size. I thought it was a false widow, but having looked those up, I think this one was bigger than 14mm in size, that seems too small to notice.

There seems to have been a massive increase in the number of spiders in my garden during the summer, add the the fact that a spider planted her eggs in my (now replaced) bike handle, (which I didn't know until they hatched) I'm guessing a lot of them survived, hence the increase.

I was always the one in class who grabbed a cup and put the spiders outside the windows in our French class in year 8, the put me on my own table for some reason as well :-/.

And yes, I'd much rather Wasps and Hornets get a mass extinction.

orb weavers are awesome OP

about 2 months ago i would see the large orange looking variety.

one of them got into my house but i took it outside to the bush next to the porch front entrance. it spun it's web within the bush, though what was fascinating was that the next bush over there was another orb weaver that had its web set up as well. so they were right next to each other.

i ended up calling them the brothers of destruction and they hung around those bushes for a little over a month

EYEL1NER

I don't exactly know if I have a fear of spiders or not, but I kill them upon sight anyway. They eat flies, mosquitoes, and wasps? So, I'll kill those fuckers too.

That's one of the nice things about being at my location in the arctic, I haven't see hardly any insects in the two years I've been here. We get tons of mosquitoes for about two months on the summer, straight-up swarms that obscure your vision and darken the sky. But in those other 10 months, you don't see a bug anywhere.

Most spiders are venomous. It's just that most don't have a medically significant effect on humans. Some animals like cats and dogs are immune to some species while those same wrecks us, like the Sydney Funnel-web, and so on and so forth.
How do the nonvenomous ones eat? Do they just have digestive enzymes that don't qualify as true vemon?

Halcyon

I'm fine with spiders unless they are in my room or messing with me while I'm in the shower.

If any spider wants to fiddle about over my head, occasionally slipping and dangling while i'm naked in the shower, they have made the wrong decision.

The species in particular (Uloboridae) lacks venom glands altogether. Instead they kill with their silk, crushing them with 140 metres of thread. They are a very small species, btw.

See, this confuses me, as awesome as it is. I was always under the impression that spider venom served a double purpose, to harm prey and double as a pre-digestive(similar to saliva). How does this one eat with no venom to start the process externally?

Jaeger

See, this confuses me, as awesome as it is. I was always under the impression that spider venom served a double purpose, to harm prey and double as a pre-digestive(similar to saliva). How does this one eat with no venom to start the process externally?

They regurgitate digestive fluid (not venom however) and then slurp it up. Like a fly.

NEO0MJ

Great reads, Jeager. but how does the Cyclocosmia spin silk if it removes it abdomen? Or is it one of the kinds that can produce silk from its legs?

One of my favorite spiders are the Portia Spiders, just so intelligent. The Wheel Spider is also really cool, for developing such a ridiculous escape strategy.

That plane probably brought a bunch of spiders with it by accident, who will now evolve to adapt to the frozen wasteland and eventually rule it.

My problem with spiders and hunter bugs in general is that they are sometimes both dangerous AND unpredictable. I can deal with a common ant which can ,at best, ineffectually nibble on your skin, or ladybugs or other slow-moving, innocuous bugs.
Spiders, however, are:
Usually very fast.
Sometimes they have the great idea of jumping TOWARDS you instead of jumping away.
The webs they spin are just plain uncomfortable. Resistant, sticky, and hard to get off. I actually wonder if there are chemical agents capable of melting spider webs in a relatively harmless way.

Basically:dumb insects with sharp appendages? NOPE.jpg

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
As long as they stay out of my bathroom, toilet and bed room they can chill in my house.

Spiders can be beautiful.

DoomGyver

I woke up with three spider bites on my arm this week. I put a bunch of sticky traps under my bed, spiders - you've been warned.

Daingurse

Cellar spiders (daddy long legs) and jumping spider get a pass, everything else dies. We got tons of lizards who eat insects out here in PHX anyway.

Growing up with my sister teasing me about spiders is why I am afraid of them to this day.

However, after deciding that all life is sacred about a year ago, I have stopped killing them in my house out of panic. Instead, I carefully scoop them into a jar (while really scared!) and place them outside so they can continue doing what they do.

While on vacation, there was a fairly large wolf spider in the bathroom after I had just used the toilet. I was freaked out, but even with all the hopping it did, I managed to capture and release successfully.

I'm of the mind that we just need to have a bit of tolerance and respect for everything around us. That has helped me deal with these guys a bit better than in the past.

J-Rod

No way, fuck spiders. I'd rather have lizards around because they eat bugs too, but most importantly, they don't bite humans. I've been bitten by spiders, but never an earwig. If bugs are in my house I call an exterminator instead turning my house into a bug jungle for spiders.

Thought I'd share a story I just put up on FB (I was looking through my phone images and remembered this one).

This is Mr. Spider. As I was about to take a bath, I look up to find a spider on the wall. Since I have vowed not to kill anymore spiders if I could overcome my phobia of them, I was attempting to trap it in this vessel to be put outside. Well he jumped into the bath water, which is fairly hot. I shrieked! Quickly I attempted to scoop the spider up in my Starbucks cup. Eventually, I was able to drain the water and here he was. I was sad. I failed to save him. I sat there and stared at its wrinkled form. After a bit, I decided to grab some toilet paper to squish him for good, to make sure... as crazy as it sounds since I know they don't have that capacity, it didn't suffer. As I put pressure down, he sprang to life!!! I was so happy and rushed outside and released him.

Thought I'd share a story I just put up on FB (I was looking through my phone images and remembered this one).

6JSZpCf.jpg

This is Mr. Spider. As I was about to take a bath, I look up to find a spider on the wall. Since I have vowed not to kill anymore spiders if I could overcome my phobia of them, I was attempting to trap it in this vessel to be put outside. Well he jumped into the bath water, which is fairly hot. I shrieked! Quickly I attempted to scoop the spider up in my Starbucks cup. Eventually, I was able to drain the water and here he was. I was sad. I failed to save him. I sat there and stared at its wrinkled form. After a bit, I decided to grab some toilet paper to squish him for good, to make sure... as crazy as it sounds since I know they don't have that capacity, it didn't suffer. As I put pressure down, he sprang to life!!! I was so happy and rushed outside and released him.
This is the kind of story you'd see on Imgur, so many twists!

BumRush

I'm in the Northeastern part of America so only a few notably dangerous spiders. For the most part, they get a free pass from me and really if I ever have harmed them, it was due to a botched job of moving them safely.

This past summer one formed a web in my garden, up against my house (where she hid). She was large (for NY spiders), roughly a body the size of a thumbnail if not slightly bigger. Well she camped out (wisely) right near an ant hill and whenever an ant wandered out of his hill and got stuck in the web, that spider would dart out like lightning and grab that unsuspecting ant in a millisecond (legitimately, I would barely see it happen). Unbelievable, smart, beautiful hunter.

It was a big female grass spider, by the way...completely harmless to humans.

Lender

The biggest spider I encounter over here (Belgium) is the common house spider. Never kill them though, just leave em be or place em outside when they're too close for comfort.

House-Spider-001.jpg

Jaeger

Good to see this thread alive again! GAF, can you help me name my spiders? I have two. one is a Metallic pink toe, and the other is a Honduran curly hair.

Grown, they will look like this respectively;

Some features. The first is a tree dwelling spider. It stays in it's web near the top of the container. The other loves to dig. Both sexes are unknown, at this time. And thanks for the kind words guys! Spiders are the shit!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom