• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spike Chunsoft Announces the Return With Fire Pro Wrestling World

Foffy

Banned
I expect it to be business as usual with the 'totally not real life' wrestlers, but I feel like NJPW should consider officially hitching their wagon to this like the KoC games.

KoC was able to get the license, IIRC. It's why the first game had promotions of separate discs, due to disputes.

Apparently the bald man in yellow in the trailer is a recolored Vader, so they've likely done what they did with Fire Pro on the GBA in that every wrestler is not only renamed, but recolored.

Foffy

Banned
Can you download created wrestlers or rosters on PS4?

No idea. The question on Edits and if there's even a limit is in the air.

Fire Pro Returns let you create 500 wrestlers, on top of the default roster of 300+ guys.

You can easily meet the 500 wrestler limit in Returns just trying to create current rosters of every current "Major" promotion, so I hope this limit is removed. ;)

KoC was able to get the license, IIRC. It's why the first game had promotions of separate discs, due to disputes.

Apparently the bald man in yellow in the trailer is a recolored Vader, so they've likely done what they did with Fire Pro on the GBA in that every wrestler is not only renamed, but recolored.

IIRC only the WWE/WCW guys in the GBA game had that.

It looks to me like most of the guys are generic CAWs, although one guy is wearing Ultimo Dragon's outfit.

Hasney

I hope early access in this case doesn't mean a broken mess they want to sell on nostalgia to raise money to finish the game.

Doesn't sound like it

Why Early Access?
“Customization is a key component in the Fire Pro series. Our initial goal was to recreate the classic gameplay and key editing features. From here we can have users help customize the game!”
Approximately how long will this game be in Early Access?
“A few months, depending on the scope of feedback.”
How is the full version planned to differ from the Early Access version?
“More robust editing tools and additional game modes/match options.”
What is the current state of the Early Access version?
“Fully playable with online matchmaking and basic editing tools to create custom wrestlers/belts/referees/rings/logos.”
Will the game be priced differently during and after Early Access?
“Early Access users will enjoy a lower price. We’re still considering the final release price.”
How are you planning on involving the Community in your development process?
“Let us know what features you would like to see implemented!
Edit Mode can be daunting for new players. We’re counting on Fire Pro vets to help the community unlock the full potential of the toolset!”

Foffy

Banned
coming to steam so it means mods can happen for this :O??

Well, FPR only recently got broken with "mods" like allowing wrestlers multiple Critical-label moves and more points than the game logic normally allows.

I don't think transformative mods will come to the game, because Fire Pro by its very nature is very "mod heavy" as is with its creation suite and AI logic system.

Can you be specific by what you mean by mods?

Hasney

Well, FPR only recently got broken with "mods" like allowing wrestlers multiple Critical-label moves and more points than the game logic normally allows.

I don't think transformative mods will come to the game, because Fire Pro by its very nature is very "mod heavy" as is with its creation suite and AI logic system.

With a dedicated can base and likely fairly modular file system for allow for edits, I get the feeling anything is possible.

Remember, people on PC were so thirsty for wrestling at one point that everyone's favourite wrestling game WCW Nitro was modded with new match types. They even got a.ladder match in there.

Foffy

Banned
With a dedicated can base and likely fairly modular file system for allow for edits, I get the feeling anything is possible.

Remember, people on PC were so thirsty for wrestling at one point that everyone's favourite wrestling game WCW Nitro was modded with new match types. They even got a.ladder match in there.

What the fuck?

Explain this!

hamsjams

This is some of the most exciting news I've seen in a long time. Now we need this to be so successful that it convinces the remnants of AKI to put out another game.

Hasney

What the fuck?

Explain this!

There wasn't anything to grab or anything, kt was like having a big turnbuckle in the middle of the ring, but it was still funny. A lot of WWE guys were modded in too.

Seems like it was all just washed from history though. I can't find anything anymore,. Remember it all being on a Geocities somewhere.

Kilvin

Day One purchase on PS4, I still fire up Returns on my PS2 every few months. Can't believe this is actually happening.

Foffy

Banned
The game is apparently launching only with 30 wrestlers, all originally created by the looks of it.

I guess Japanese copyright laws did change since FPR. It will be up to the community to fill in the holes, and while this may seem like a daunting task, this has and is addressed with the community from FPR, so as long as the creation suite is the same, we'll see it here, too.

If you want New Japan and NOAH, you better hope we can easily port over Puroresu Kingdom saves from FPR. :p

THE FIRE IS BACK BABY, TAKE THAT YUKES
20170228_sd_orton__cbb11a807e2c647df33c099fa1e573da.0.jpg

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
The game is apparently launching only with 30 wrestlers, all originally created by the looks of it.

I guess Japanese copyright laws did change since FPR. It will be up to the community to fill in the holes, and while this may seem like a daunting task, this has and is addressed with the community from FPR, so as long as the creation suite is the same, we'll see it here, too.

If you want New Japan and NOAH, you better hope we can easily port over Puroresu Kingdom saves from FPR. :p

I had a feeling something like this would happen. They might have gotten away with "slightly altered but still pretty obvious" versions of existing wrestlers in the past, but I figured they wouldn't be able to get away with it in 2017.

If this doesn't have SOME sort of "Community Creations" functionality, it'll be a bit of a disaster.

Disappointing, but not surprising. Everyone's wise to the shtick now.

Foffy

Banned
I had a feeling something like this would happen. They might have gotten away with "slightly altered but still pretty obvious" versions of existing wrestlers in the past, but I figured they wouldn't be able to get away with it in 2017.

If this doesn't have SOME sort of "Community Creations" functionality, it'll be a bit of a disaster.

Indeed. I can imagine this can be worked around on PC via transfers of save files if it's left traditional, but this would mean bad fucking news for PS4 users.

No Community Creations means you have to follow templates by hand, because we're beyond memory cards. Imagine doing that just to create current Raw, Smackdown, and NXT rosters. That's a weekend of work, at best.

What made FPR easier to tinker with was because it was so easy to emulate and memory card programs allowed quick access to whatever you wanted. I can load up the game and have two memory cards full of 500 wrestlers after a Google search. You need something nearly as simple for this, if not in "bulk" but for individual wrestlers.

What would be genius is if the Early Access release had fans creating all of the rosters, then when the game launches you can just download them on PS4

It will obviously be the case on PC. Will double dip regardless

Can you be specific by what you mean by mods?

like you can download wrestling characters, new costumes, different types of mods? I don't know i just keep thinking of infinite possibilities I already know the game allows for so much but the chances of it adding so much more through mods can be interesting.

Hasney

What would be genius is if the Early Access release had fans creating all of the rosters, then when the game launches you can just download them on PS4

Their early access statement talks about getting the customisation right, so I'm going to assume that means sharing too. At least I hope so.

Foffy

Banned

Apparently to screenshots a lot of the assets from FPR are in the same place.

This means if someone had the dedication, they can port over DesertPunk's or DJKM's saves from FPR to FPW.

For reference, that means rosters of WWE, TNA, ROH, NJPW, NOAH, AJPW, DG, CMLL, AAA, UFC, countless independent promotions, and even different fucking eras of wrestling.

like you can download wrestling characters, new costumes, different types of mods? I don't know i just keep thinking of infinite possibilities I already know the game allows for so much but the chances of it adding so much more through mods can be interesting.

You don't need mods for this.

That ability is intrinsic to the series. The series is particularly famous for its creation suite capabilities. It looks ugly as a 2D game, but has a depth to emulate all forms of wrestling.

Top Bottom