• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spike Chunsoft Announces the Return With Fire Pro Wrestling World

I'm not much of a wrestling fan but newLegacyinc's videos with FPWR were superb. I'm glad this is on Steam and hopefully it'll have new wrestlers/mods/etc on the workshop instead of just via save file sharing.

Apparently to screenshots a lot of the assets from FPR are in the same place.

This means if someone had the dedication, they can port over DesertPunk's or DJKM's saves from FPR to FPW.

For reference, that means rosters of WWE, TNA, ROH, NJPW, NOAH, AJPW, DG, CMLL, AAA, UFC, countless independent promotions, and even different fucking eras of wrestling.

You don't need mods for this.

That ability is intrinsic to the series. The series is particularly famous for its creation suite capabilities. It looks ugly as a 2D game, but has a depth to emulate all forms of wrestling.

but it'd sort of be like a side bonus right? i mean there is real no negative to it if you can add more to whats already capable of the original game, I guess thats why its exciting to me, what would you do if you were to add a mod for this game?

Foffy

Banned
but it'd sort of be like a side bonus right? i mean there is real no negative to it if you can add more to whats already capable of the original game, I guess thats why its exciting to me, what would you do if you were to add a mod for this game?

We have to see what's been added or changed from FPR, firstly.

I think I'd like to see 10 man tags, because it appears they've kept series tradition of having a cap of 8. Maybe a ladder match, and tweaks to the battle royal match to more properly emulate a Royal Rumble match (have more than 8 people in the match and prevent submissions to count as eliminations in addition to being thrown over the top rope).

Everything else I'd want can be seen in FPR via the community. You want the New Japan roster? You got it. You want the WWE logo in the game? Done.

Maybe a mod I could see is perhaps extending the limit of created characters you can have, assuming there's a cap. FPR has 500 as a limit, and trust me, the community can hit this pretty damn quick.

TheBear

Oh man they just went ahead did it.

Fuck. Yes.

Also like the 'world' tag suggesting it's going to be online focused and supported

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
We have to see what's been added or changed from FPR, firstly.

I think I'd like to see 10 man tags, because it appears they've kept series tradition of having a cap of 8. Maybe a ladder match, and tweaks to the battle royal match to more properly emulate a Royal Rumble match (have more than 8 people in the match and prevent submissions to count as eliminations in addition to being thrown over the top rope).

Everything else I'd want can be seen in FPR via the community. You want the New Japan roster? You got it. You want the WWE logo in the game? Done.

Maybe a mod I could see is perhaps extending the limit of created characters you can have, assuming there's a cap. FPR has 500 as a limit, and trust me, the community can hit this pretty damn quick.

Adding to this because it's a good list, I'd like to see some sort of single-player career mode. Like, even something as simple as X Premium's solo mode would be better than the nothing we got in Returns.

Foffy

Banned
Adding to this because it's a good list, I'd like to see some sort of single-player career mode. Like, even something as simple as X Premium's solo mode would be better than the nothing we got in Returns.

They might try something with the career mode, seeing as the the apparent roster in the game are original characters.

I hope because of the limited roster that the booking mode is back, but allows the use of custom characters. If you want to use this mode in FPR and want to, say, sim New Japan, you're dealing with a New Japan roster from 2005. We're talking Josh Barnett and Masahiro Chono old school.

Foffy

Banned
Tomoyuki Matsumoto, the director of Fire Pro Wrestling World, has wanted to make this game for the past five years.

Edits are also gonna be amazing. New moves are confirmed. We better get a good Rainmaker and Destino. One Winged Angel, Kenny Omega's finisher, is in the game. It's not named that, but it's there.

For an example of new options, Fire Pro Wrestling Returns only had two layers for limbs regarding edit customization.

World allows nine layers.

3cfcac6cb14dd9c14b1ceec0925c60c15336048b_hq.gif

Krooner

Really pleased about this. The amount of hours I sunk into Fire Pro D was obscene. Doubt I'll have the time to do that with this, but I'll be showing my support.

Jamie OD

The amount of wrestlers we can make has to be almost limitless because of the platforms, right? I thought 500 for Returns was enough at the time but quickly found out how fast I could fill that up.

Rafus

Tomoyuki Matsumoto, the director of Fire Pro Wrestling World, has wanted to make this game for the past five years.

Edits are also gonna be amazing. New moves are confirmed. We better get a good Rainmaker and Destino. One Winged Angel, Kenny Omega's finisher, is in the game. It's not named that, but it's there.

For an example of new options, Fire Pro Wrestling Returns only had two layers for limbs regarding edit customization.

You know the good stuff. I want to see a good Destinoooo!

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
GAF. Let me tell ya something GAF. I read this, saw the announcement in the middle of my store's Switch launch and I cried. Ya'll don't even know. Tears of joy. Fire Pro is life. I play it to this day. Owned so many versions and I gave up hope. Now I see it'll be on Steam of all places and the possibilities that it entails just melts my heart.

I'm so happy. T-T

Rellik

I've been a wrasslin' fan since the mid 90s and somehow never played a Fire Pro game.
I'm sorry.

But I'll definitely grab this one if the editing isn't gimped on the PS4 person. Konami managed it with Pro Evo so I don't see it being too much of an issue.

RaginRoss

Oh man.

So glad it's coming to PC. I was worried it'd be PS4 only. Should be super easy to share Edits around.

I wonder how online play will be. The timing on grapples was always so precise that they'd surely need to make some changes there to account for latency.

Would be really cool if you could have CPU only matches online against someone else, I hope that's possible. 10 Man Tags would be nice, can't see them doing anything like a ladder match or something that would require lots of new animations.

Edit - One more request, Management of the Ring from Fire Pro 2 on GBA. Had so much fun with that even without knowing a single word of Japanese.

RaginRoss

Also just the fact that this is on modern platforms to allow for updates is great. Hopefully they continually suport it with new moves / edit features.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol

I want someone to make a Honma that does nothing but attempt Kokeshis over and over until one finally hits.

Just like the real Honma.

komarkaze

Wow I'm so happy! The day FirePro Wrestling World comes out is the day I finally buy a PS4. Please have a generous number of slots for custom edits.

Foffy

Banned
I want someone to make a Honma that does nothing but attempt Kokeshis over and over until one finally hits.

Just like the real Honma.

We might even get a kokeshi headbutt as a new move!

Imagine a very slow, staggered drop from the top rope.

Yessssssssssssssss.

RetTdZb.gif

Or a GTR! We're just talking New Japan talent having new moves, but we can probably look elsewhere, too.

This should be a big hit on Twitch and the gaming bubble in general because wrestling is decently hot right now. CRITICALs for everyone <3

Trevor Lee's standing stomp and weird reversal slam better be in this game! &#128548;&#128548;&#128548;

ITSMILNER

In relation to match types, is it likely they would have the likes of ladder matches and table matches in this?

Also, they usually have look alike current wrestlers with a full editor mode don't they?

Foffy

Banned
In relation to match types, is it likely they would have the likes of ladder matches and table matches in this?

Also, they usually have look alike current wrestlers with a full editor mode don't they?

Most of the head sprites are based off of actual wrestlers, but they're clearly not named in game to reflect this.

If you're asking if the game will launch with a roster of lookalikes, the answer is no. Copyright is likely the reason, so the community will have to make the rosters.

The great thing here is that the templates and formulas for the wrestlers in Fire Pro Returns don't need too many changes for this game, barring new moves. This means from a porting perspective, we can start to see rosters just carried over and then updated by the community. For example, in FPR, someone made Shinsuke Nakamura. If people wanted him in FPW on launch day, they can likely follow the exact template that made the character, maybe make some tweaks here and there, but out of the gate it can easily be done.

The issue, of course, is seeing the actual rosters get filled up. It's much easier to fill up Pro Wrestling NOAH's roster than it is to have a current roster from Consejo Mundial de Lucha Libre, for example.

We might even get a kokeshi headbutt as a new move!

Imagine a very slow, staggered drop from the top rope.

Yessssssssssssssss.

RetTdZb.gif

Or a GTR! We're just talking New Japan talent having new moves, but we can probably look elsewhere, too.

Oh yeah, I'd kill to have Kenoh's Gory Special into Powerbomb. Sick move.

Ensoul

I bought fire pro wrestle, six man scramble, for the sega Saturn many years ago and loved it. I know in Japan you can get away with having the likeness of wrestlers without any consequences.

Not sure that is true in the US though? I don't think the game will have the likeness of say the undertaker, the rock, etc.

Regardless looking forward to this game.

Foffy

Banned
I bought fire pro wrestle, six man scramble, for the sega Saturn many years ago and loved it. I know in Japan you can get away with having the likeness of wrestlers without any consequences.

Not sure that is true in the US though? I don't think the game will have the likeness of say the undertaker, the rock, etc.

Regardless looking forward to this game.

I believe copyright laws changed since the last real game, and for this reason, they're not going to make likeness angle.

They'll likely leave the customizable assets in the game, but there will not be a roster made of the likeness of others at launch.

FPW will be launch with 30 custom characters, and that's it. The community will be able to share content online, and for this reason, this is how "filling in the gaps" comes into play.

I believe copyright laws changed since the last real game, and for this reason, they're not going to make likeness angle.

They'll likely leave the customizable assets in the game, but there will not be a roster made of the likeness of others at launch.

FPW will be launch with 30 custom characters, and that's it. The community will be able to share content online, and for this reason, this is how "filling in the gaps" comes into play.

They'll likely be able to get away with the Japanese version.

But yeah, this is to be expected. This will be a community-built game

Foffy

Banned
They'll likely be able to get away with the Japanese version.

But yeah, this is to be expected. This will be a community-built game

I believe the Japanese version has the same roster as the localized version. They're just not gonna risk it.

It's basically going to launch as a content platform that the roster is there to "trial," but it will be up to the community to fill in the niches the game allows.

ITSMILNER

Most of the head sprites are based off of actual wrestlers, but they're clearly not named in game to reflect this.

If you're asking if the game will launch with a roster of lookalikes, the answer is no. Copyright is likely the reason, so the community will have to make the rosters.

The great thing here is that the templates and formulas for the wrestlers in Fire Pro Returns don't need too many changes for this game, barring new moves. This means from a porting perspective, we can start to see rosters just carried over and then updated by the community. For example, in FPR, someone made Shinsuke Nakamura. If people wanted him in FPW on launch day, they can likely follow the exact template that made the character, maybe make some tweaks here and there, but out of the gate it can easily be done.

The issue, of course, is seeing the actual rosters get filled up. It's much easier to fill up Pro Wrestling NOAH's roster than it is to have a current roster from Consejo Mundial de Lucha Libre, for example.

Ahh ok, sounds like the community is strong with the series though so should see a lot of CAW-like formulas

Hoping for a Switch release now

Top Bottom