• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon 2 |OT2| From Smallfry to FlyFish in 5 Easy Steps!

DK4VVDnUQAEo2c2.jpg

DK4VWABVAAIjrv8.jpg

DK4VWztVAAA4xJt.jpg

Finally, this week.

https://nintendotreehouse.tumblr.com/post/165521794157/big-bad-brella

Treehouse post for more detail

J@hranimo

Banned
Here's to hoping it can keep up with all the weapons dominating!

....maybe it can be a good Reinherdt and help protect against Baller in its current state :p

Toadsili T

Neo Member
The latest in Splatoon League weapon data, courtesy of Splatoon2DB.

Gold Aerospray (RG) has seen a massive spike in use since the v.1.3.0 patch, arguably due to its ability to gain the Baller Special absurdly quickly. It's also seeing a crazy amount of use in Splatoon Koushien.

Also nice to see a bump in the use of Vanilla Splat Roller; possibly due to some incredible plays by roller players in the recent high profile Splat Championships tournament.

Since I forgot to post last week's data here, here's that block as well...

Koren

That one squid's egg/splatted ratio, LMAO. No wonder we were desperately struggling to reach the quota in every wave.
Well, that's still 4.

Got one yesterday that brought back one egg in three waves. ONE.

SR is getting more difficult with average players at 200% pay out. I understand the idea behind the reset, but it's annoying. At 200, you can get really bad teams. Once you reach 240, things are easier, but lose your first couple matches and the road to 1200 can be rough with disconnection and players like those... I don't mind a bad team from time to time, but when it's consistent...

-shadow-

Just needed like one more win to reach S+1 in Splat Zones, got a Unstable Connection message half way through a match. All players other than me and another one were kicked out and eventually me and the other one also. Now I'm back at square one of S+0. What the bloody hell Nintendo!?

I'm wondering if the fact that the tenta can one-shot might 'fix' it compared to the normal brella which suffers from needing 2+ shots to kill and not having a fast fire rate.

Dr. Buni

Got the game two days ago. This is so good. How I missed Splatoon.

I am really enjoying the new weapons, namely the Brella and the Dualies. Not sure if they fit my playstyle as I am not much of an aggressive player, but they are fun.

Branduil

Me using the splatbrella: Run out of ink in 5 seconds, take 5 million shots before anyone dies

People on other team using splatbrella: One-hit KO every fucking shot, never runs out of ink

I don't understand this fucking bullshit.

Me using the splatbrella: Run out of ink in 5 seconds, take 5 million shots before anyone dies

People on other team using splatbrella: One-hit KO every fucking shot, never runs out of ink

I don't understand this fucking bullshit.

Are you rocking any main savers out of curiosity? I tend to wear 2 mains when brella-ing with the normal splat brella just due to how ink-hungry shielding is, let alone shooting :p

edit: now that I have hands on with it, it's fairly interesting. 1-hit KO distance is roughly flick distance with the roller, maybe carbon roller. My only real issue with it is the crazy long delay after shooting where you can't squid and don't regen any ink, plus it takes quite a while to deploy the actual shield. Aggressively it works well enough as an ambush weapon, as long as you hit, and I've been able to make some snipers hate me by wallling off their shots (though I can do that with normal splatbrella well enough anyhoo)
Firing the actual brella forward is fun due to it's huge size, though by the time you usually get it to go it's already quite significantly damaged unless you started it out of combat.

Does anyone know at what level S+ stops resetting if you break meter before the line? I keep getting S+3-4 then lose a bunch and get sent down to 0.

It's really frustrating and to be honest I don't know if I'm having fun with this game anymore. I'd like to see progress but it keeps getting wiped away. It's so easy to get S+ in this game, so if you get a string of bad teammates in a row it can ruin your rank. I'm by no means a great player, I have tons of shit games. But I also have a lot of really good games too that I end up losing because of clueless people who don't know how to play the objective. It takes roughly 10 games to rank up and 8 losses to break meter, sometimes less if you lose consecutive games, the meter can break in 5. You shouldn't lose multiple ranks due to breaking meter, that's complete garbage. Rant over. Somebody hug me.

Edit: and it's my fault for continually playing on Friday nights. People just take the new weapons into ranked and suck with it all night long. I've looked at the games tonight, almost anytime there's a tentabrella they have the least kills and the most deaths.

Dr. Buni

Does anyone know at what level S+ stops resetting if you break meter before the line? I keep getting S+3-4 then lose a bunch and get sent down to 0.

It's really frustrating and to be honest I don't know if I'm having fun with this game anymore. I'd like to see progress but it keeps getting wiped away. It's so easy to get S+ in this game, so if you get a string of bad teammates in a row it can ruin your rank. I'm by no means a great player, I have tons of shit games. But I also have a lot of really good games too that I end up losing because of clueless people who don't know how to play the objective. It takes roughly 10 games to rank up and 8 losses to break meter, sometimes less if you lose consecutive games, the meter can break in 5. You shouldn't lose multiple ranks due to breaking meter, that's complete garbage. Rant over. Somebody hug me.

Edit: and it's my fault for continually playing on Friday nights. People just take the new weapons into ranked and suck with it all night long. I've looked at the games tonight, almost anytime there's a tentabrella they have the least kills and the most deaths.
Perhaps you can't climb because you reached your the rank you belong to. Not everyone is good enough to reach the highest rank level. Just saying.

Perhaps you can't climb because you reached your the rank you belong to. Not everyone is good enough to reach the highest rank level. Just saying.

Yeah I've thought about that and it's certainly true to an extent. I am good enough to contribute positively to the team with the occasionally really good game and the occasionally really bad game. I am not good enough to consistently carry bad teams, so I have to be good enough to overcome bad teammates.

But that being said, I still manage to maintain S+. I'm not getting sent back down to A or even S, I'm staying up there. I just have a session of bad luck that breaks meter and erases my progress. I'd like to see something for my hard work.

The more I play, the more I find myself wishing there was a replay feature. If someone's kicking rear or I played badly, it'd be handy to be able to go back and spectate the match to see exactly what happened :eek:

True Fire

The logistics of Front Roll vs Back Roll will be interesting. Front Roll will struggle to find matches with the opposing team. Judging by the past two Splatfests, Back Roll should win.

However, Front Roll might be so popular that it's able to overcome the matchmaking inequality and still manage to win.

Koren

Yeah I've thought about that and it's certainly true to an extent. I am good enough to contribute positively to the team with the occasionally really good game and the occasionally really bad game. I am not good enough to consistently carry bad teams, so I have to be good enough to overcome bad teammates.
Well... you don't really have to carry bad teams. Because it's 4 randoms vs you + 3 randoms, bad teammates have more chances to appear in the opposite team than in yours. Though good teammates too.

For most of the game, it doesn't really matter with common weapons. Basically, you'll win more than you lose if you're better than 50% of the people you get paired with, and you'll lose more if you're in the bottom half. There's a lot of fluctuations from randomness, but the system makes you climb till you reach your level (and S+ is definitively not an easy climb for everyone... several people will stay in B, most will probably get stuck in A).

But if I understood correctly how S+ works, fluctuations are becoming more dangerous, and you need an increased safety margin. In S+, you really need to be in the very top of players to climb this ladder. So that the 4/3 rule makes that basically most players will be worse than you, and the opposite team will thus be at a disadvantage because of you.

The higher you managed to reach, the better you are. If you reach S+3, you're already a really, really good player. I you want to go higher, you probably need to be in the couple hundreds best players in the area... I really think the system is fair.

It may not be the best for enjoyment, since you won't see progress unless you really improve. It's not something that will increase just if you play well for a long time. But it's like a ladder: you may be stuck around like the 400th position and never be able to climb in the top 100 or 10. But still remember there's tens of thousands people beneath you ;) Think that if you reach S+3, you're in the top 2000, in S+4 in top 1000, S+5 in top 500, etc. (random values, I don't know how many people manage to reach each).

There's a catch, though: some weapons are really dependent on the other weapons in the team, and I don't doubt it's harder, even for a wonderful player, to climb high in S+, with some of them.

Da-Kid

The Tenta Bella is good, but I don't like the lag between the stance after firing and turning into a squid.

I splattered a whole team with it on my own.

The trick with the Brella's is to use it more as a defense than an offense. Use the shield to pressure the attacker where you want them to be. In hallways/catwalks, and confined spaces, the Brella is a monster.

Don't shield and retreat, shield and advance.

The Tenta Bella is good, but I don't like the lag between the stance after firing and turning into a squid.

I splattered a whole team with it on my own.

The trick with the Brella's is to use it more as a defense than an offense. Use the shield to pressure the attacker where you want them to be. In hallways/catwalks, and confined spaces, the Brella is a monster.

Don't shield and retreat, shield and advance.

Be warned, aggressive players can foil your shielded advance technique: I've had one or two particularly offense-minded players just run straight through the shield, taking the 30 damage hit and unloading their gun at me.

I seem to mostly do ok with it, with one or two stand out matches where I rocked, but I'm erring a bit too close to 1:1 kill/death for my tastes in a few of them. I need to play with it more and work out how to improve :3

But yeah, I mentioned it earlier, but that after-shot lag is pretty crippling. If you fire at all while tenta missiles are headed your way you're pretty much dead as you slow to a crawl and can't squid :p
Been a few times I feel I've died when I should've been able to shield due to a combination of how long it takes for the shield to actually come out and lag.

It's incredibly satisfying rushing down a sniper though behind your advancing shield. Plus it's kind of hilarious chasing people down the walkways in kelp dome with it :3

edit: worth mentioning that after a few quick checks, the one-hit ko range is the same as the splat roller.

This Brella is kinda jank but it's a lot of fun. It's like a Bamboozler but without the charge time. Ink everywhere!

Edit: This weapon is freaking Godly for Splatzones! It inks more and faster than a Splatterscope while still enjoying the range. This is looking to be one of the best stage control / support weapons. You're going to get destroyed in one-on-one's though.

Da-Kid

Be warned, aggressive players can foil your shielded advance technique: I've had one or two particularly offense-minded players just run straight through the shield, taking the 30 damage hit and unloading their gun at me.

I seem to mostly do ok with it, with one or two stand out matches where I rocked, but I'm erring a bit too close to 1:1 kill/death for my tastes in a few of them. I need to play with it more and work out how to improve :3

But yeah, I mentioned it earlier, but that after-shot lag is pretty crippling. If you fire at all while tenta missiles are headed your way you're pretty much dead as you slow to a crawl and can't squid :p
Been a few times I feel I've died when I should've been able to shield due to a combination of how long it takes for the shield to actually come out and lag.

It's incredibly satisfying rushing down a sniper though behind your advancing shield. Plus it's kind of hilarious chasing people down the walkways in kelp dome with it :3

edit: worth mentioning that after a few quick checks, the one-hit ko range is the same as the splat roller.
Yeah you do need to learn how to back off. When shielding, the lag between shots and other actions seems not normal as it effects your actual movement, not the time to fire again per se, it locks you in place.

But I feel with the Tenta Brella, firing the head of it is actually effective for you and the team since it trails a walkway of ink behind it. That's good to use to try to get a 1S1K.

Got a Switch and this game last Monday. Really expected to master dualies, but ended up gravitating towards splatbrella. Go fig.

Is the Hero Bella worth getting?

Blackie

WTF. Never doubt the power of trying new weapons in Splatoon. Figured out the best way to use a great paint pusher and just went on an insane streak all the way up to 28.5 freshness. Loving this :D

Burning Justice

the superior princess
Got a Switch and this game last Monday. Really expected to master dualies, but ended up gravitating towards splatbrella. Go fig.

Is the Hero Bella worth getting?

The Hero replica weapons are purely cosmetic. The Hero Brella Replica is 100% identical to the Splat Brella in every way but appearance, with the same sub (Sprinkler) and special (Ink Storm).

So if you like the look better and if you are willing to put in the time for it, then go for it.

Dang man...
I really, really wanted to love the Tenta Brella (It's about as tanky as Splatoon 2 gets and I love it)...but in a fast and mobile game like this it just feels really jankey and cumbersome to use (especially in aggressive S+ ranked battles)
I really don't understand the baffling decision to not give this dumb thing a guaranteed OHKO at both close and mid-range because as of right now there is absolutely nothing that makes up for the weapon being soooo damn sloooooooooow- I could be wrong but think it takes, like, nearly two whole seconds to fire off a second shot or pull up the shield.
And also the sub-weapon just doesn't compliment this thing at all imo, randos never wanna use beacons.
I think the burst or splat bombs would have been a better choice to make up for that complete lack of mid-range killing power and speed.
...ugh.

The best thing I can say about about the thing is that the shield is fuckin' rad, it's actually useful; it's soaks up tons of damage (unlike the weak sauce, vanilla splat brella) and actually makes the shield launch worth a damn.

Doopliss

I managed to max out my Profreshional rating at 999 during this weekend's Salmon Run rotation!

gp8C9Wm.jpg

Big thanks to everyone who played with me from the SplatGAF discord, and especially Tomato who stuck with me all afternoon up to the finish line. I had a ton of fun hoarding eggies with you all!

Also a shoutout to the much-maligned freelancers with whose various selves I climbed from 570->780 rating this morning when there was no one else available to play with. There are a lot of good players doing freelance and they have my appreciation!

Branduil

Geez the matchmaking is a special level of garbage today. A team with 2 Tentabrellas and a roller? There's no way to interpret that except as the game saying "LOL fuck you, enjoy your loss."

Ogodei

That front roll v back roll splatfest is real?

It bugs me that they don't announce it in-game as soon as they announce it in real life. I was playing on Saturday but didn't hear a peep out of this.

I'm minmaxing gear for the push into S+ right now. Managed to roll two quick respawns on my ink-saver-main sweater while trying to grind the chunks to get a second one put on there.

I'm not crazy enough to go for three, especially since the margins on sub-abilities are so tiny to begin with. I'll settle for two of the same ability (including something like if i had rolled a single inksaver on a jacket whose main ability is inksaver). I do have some natural threes, though. The quick respawn jacket with three special savers is a really fitting combo.

Okay, I was wrong. The Tenta Brella is a dumpster fire with a handle. I can't understand why it takes so long to deploy the shield, why it takes so much ink to launch the shield (like it's half a tank), and why the accuracy is so terrible.

Top Bottom