• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon has surpassed 1 million sales world wide

Jawmuncher

Confirmed for Smash, as if there was ever any doubt. He'll I'm eating crow from the last thread. Didn't expect this high in sales,

Doorman

Well-deserved, even with the launch day complaints about lack of content. Their methodology may be a little divisive, but the continuous rollout of new weapons and stages has given a new reason to return every couple of days, if not sooner. I imagine the legs will be decent, particularly once the August update hits with added friend-play options. Trying to aim without the gyro controls is going to feel extremely strange the next time I feel I need to. :p

Not up to the level of other games that easily break a million within a week or less, but for a brand-new IP on the Wii U, it's a really encouraging sign, both for Splatoon and Nintendo's garage initiative in general.

Oersted

Congrats, Splatoon. The sales are well-deserved.

I guess JasonMCG has to drink his own urine.

tumblr_nm4mbvkxDL1ra1vfao1_400.gif

Well deserved.

These two posts work well together, lol.

NateDrake

How do you figure? The game has done 300k~ in Japan, and did 136k for May NPD. In the 20+ days of June it's not unreasonable to think it's done at least an additional 64k, which puts us at 500k between Japan and the US, not even including digital.

Haven't you seen the NPD thread?!?!?! Everyone expects Splatoon to crater and completely fall of the charts when June NPD data is released.

I wouldn't be surprised if Splatoon matched or outperformed its May performance this month in US.

OuterLimits

Great news. Good numbers especially since the Wii U will be killed soon by Nintendo.

Both my wife and love the game. She doesn't usually play video games much, but is already level 19, while I finally just managed to get to level 10. Lol. Single player is damn fun also, especially the boss battles.

Looking forward to the new game modes and maps. The Rainmaker mode sounds especially fun.

Nintendo has made many blunders with the Wii U. Which is a shame because their first party games have been fantastic on the system. Splatoon may be my favorite or a close second to Pikmin 3.

Interesting to compare this to Codename Steam the other new Nintendo IP. That launch with like only 30,000 US sales in a month. It's Japan debut was worse than the Wonderful 101 and the worse Nintendo published games since the GBA.

New IP's are great but these two games so that they're still a gamble that you can win big on.

prag16

Banned
Damn. Prelaunch, I said I thought it could long-tail it's way to a million over time. And I was one of the most optimistic ones...

The majority said sub-Bayonetta2, and many even boldly predicted the TW101 ballpark...

Crow might become an endangered species...

Jarmel

Banned
How do you figure? The game has done 300k~ in Japan, and did 136k for May NPD. In the 20+ days of June it's not unreasonable to think it's done at least an additional 64k, which puts us at 500k between Japan and the US, not even including digital.

Japan would probably be around 300k up to this week and US who knows at this point but I can't see them doubling sales past the initial two launch days. So the rest of the markets would have to be putting up numbers equivalent to US+Japan which seems highly unlikely.

Crayolan

Already? That's awesome! I didn't expect that till near the end of it's lifetime, if at all.

Now I'm interested in seeing what the June NPD's look like.

Interesting to compare this to Codename Steam the other new Nintendo IP. That launch with like only 30,000 US sales in a month. It's Japan debut was worse than the Wonderful 101 and the worse Nintendo published games since the GBA.

New IP's are great but these two games so that they're still a gamble that you can win big on.
Yeah, it's unfortunate. We could've seen more risky projects more often if it wasn't for CNS. Oh, well, Splatoon likely shows Nintendo that it's a good idea to expand their audience and their library of IPs

ryechu

People hate to PAY for content that is already in the disc.

In Splatoon's case the on disc dlc is, like a squid in a kid, waiting inside to surface and run freely

No. Originally, people hated to pay for content that is on-disc. But then they associated their negative sentiment with the term "on-disc dlc." Now people who haven't put a modicum of thought equivocate previous paid "on-disc dlc" with splatoon's content.

They are so jaded that they think Nintendo is shadily trying to create good PR by saying its "free dlc." when it was on disc content all along.

Japan would probably be around 300k up to this week and US who knows at this point but I can't see them doubling sales past the initial two launch days. So the rest of the markets would have to be putting up numbers equivalent to US+Japan which seems highly unlikely.

Or it's done very well on the digital market which is plausible considering they had a discount deal in the PAL region if you pre-ordered during the testfire. We know physical between those two markets it's done 500k, I feel digital US + Japan and all of PAL physical and digital it could have just eeked by 1 million worldwide.

Nanashrew

Banned
Haven't you see the NPD thread?!?!?! Everyone expects Splatoon to crater and completely fall of the charts when June NPD data is released.

I wouldn't be surprised if Splatoon matched or outperformed its May performance this month in US.

I saw that and then closed the thread as I was getting a headache from it just like the "Will Splatoon Bomb?" thread.

Jarmel

Banned
Or it's done very well on the digital market which is plausible considering they had a discount deal in the PAL region if you pre-ordered during the testfire. We know physical between those two markets it's done 500k, I feel digital US + Japan and all of PAL physical and digital it could have just eeked by 1 million worldwide.

Yea it's possible there is a digital component, we'll probably have to wait for the investors stuff for a better picture.

Sakura

According to Famitsu numbers for June 8 to June 14, Splatoon was already at 298k, with a drop of only 26% from the week before. If sales dropped another say 30% for the following week, that would still put it at 340k for just Japan alone.
Add sales in the US for May and you've got 476k. Do you honestly not believe Splatoon sold even just 24k in the US for all of June so far?
And again, this isn't even taking into account digital sales for the two countries.

Nintendo normally doesn't report shipped figures when they talk about software sales. This number is probably sold to consumer. All the data we have points towards that direction.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.

I would say with digital sales, Japan might be close to 400K sold right now.

Glad to see it's selling despite the Wii U's poor sales. Can't wait to see what the future holds for this IP.

I also hope this shows Nintendo that new IP can be successful.

NateDrake

I saw that and then closed the thread as I was getting a headache from it just like the "Will Splatoon Bomb?" thread.

Indeed. I think a few avatar bets had been made in the May NPD thread over Splatoon's June performance as well. I look forward to June's NPD thread.

Top Bottom