• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon: Motion controls on or off?

Felensis

Banned
Took me a while during the Global Testfire to get used to, but now I won't miss motion controls! Just sit tight, hold your GamePad relaxed, press Y to center the camera and just move it up and down for aiming a little bit. Works flawlessly, fast and precise!

Honestly, considering shooters are far more prevalent and vastly more popular on non Nintendo consoles, which are the only systems to keep trying to force gyro controls as a method of aiming, I'm of the opinion it's just another Nintendo diehard, delusionally supporting everything Nintendo does, kind of thing that some keep on insisting they're better.

Jesus are you actually serious? People having a different opinion than you is clearly not the obvious reason?

I prefer them off but would happily have them on and spin around my room if the game had off-tv support so I could see where I was aiming (did this with Gravity Rush on Vita)

Either way something about the aiming feels weird to me but the game's fun

Ferrio

Banned
On, though I've never been a fan of shooters and controllers. The gyro feels really foreign at first, but when you get into it it becomes second nature. Hardest part is finding that perfect default spot.

Jubern

I turned it off as soon as I started the Global Testfire and did the same with the full game, but you guys make me want to try it for a bit...
I'll give it an hour tonight and see how it goes.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
It is absolutely blowing my mind how many people play with the motion controls on. Not because I think the sticks are better, but because it's crazy to see people adopt motion controls in such a fast-paced game. They must really be good.

Though, I have to wonder, how many people here who use motion controls in Splatoon also used them for games like Mario Kart?

During Testfire, I tried both and ended up going with sticks. That being said, in the tutorial motion controls felt okay. I'm sure if I gave it more time it might be better.

Actually, I don't know why I'm bothering to write this post. I could just get out of bed and go try it for myself.

Off.

Even though gyro seems more accurate, it feels less...fun for some reason.

Plus I flail the gamepad like a crazy person when I'm SHOOTING A ROLLER IN THE FACE AND HE STILL MANAGES TO SPLAT ME

Many people need to learn this

B2EJpDHCYAAvDfo_thumb.jpg

It is absolutely blowing my mind how many people play with the motion controls on. Not because I think the sticks are better, but because it's crazy to see people adopt motion controls in such a fast-paced game. They must really be good.

Though, I have to wonder, how many people here who use motion controls in Splatoon also used them for games like Mario Kart?

During Testfire, I tried both and ended up going with sticks. That being said, in the tutorial motion controls felt okay. I'm sure if I gave it more time it might be better.

Actually, I don't know why I'm bothering to write this post. I could just get out of bed and go try it for myself.

I use sticks in Mario Kart. The motion controls just are a real improvement in this game.

I have no problem with other shooters using sticks.

Super Macho Man

Neo Member
On. Normal shooters I'm always about regular controls, but for Splatoon the gyro just feels so natural. Playing a bit of the story mode helps greatly too.

Gsnap

On. After a few matches it feels really natural, so if there are any advantages, well I've got 'em now.

I think everyone should give it a shot. I mean, once you own the game you've got all the time in the world. Give it an hour or so. If you can't get use to it, then switch and never look back.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Being forced to use them during the tutorial during the test events was a miserable experience. Off, forever and for always.

Decider

Off during the Testfire. Using them during training was incredibly disorienting but I'll give them another try, although I usually hate motion controls.

atr0cious

On. Had the displeasure of using the pro controller in 1v1 with my girlfriend on the pad, felt like a clear disadvantage. But you guys keep on using it, makes you easy targets.

If you value winning, you should probably get used to the speed and precision of motion. Regardless of your preference or comfort, it just might be objective better. If you just want to splat the world and whatnot, then who cares, go analog.

Jtrizzy

Off. I was freaking out through the tutorial thinking it was forced. I need to adjust the speed some. Also, no pro controller support? What's that about?

On. So much more faster and more precise, I generally loathe dual-stick aiming on principle. It's no mouse+keyboard or steam controller, but it works great for this game.

teeny

On.

I love any control scheme where you use the sticks for broad movements and the gyros for precision.

It works great in all of Nintendo's recent Zelda games, it works well in Gravity Rush and it works great here too. I would love a full–fledged FPS game using this scheme but no one else seems interested in developing the control scheme. I have a vague hope of Metroid Prime...

Giolon

Off. Dear god off. I was terrible at aiming until I found they could be swapped to traditional controls.

I've only had time for a couple matches, but I tried switching controls in the plaza and the difference in speed between the axes with motion controls off was more disturbing to me. So I did the matches with it turned on and it wasn't too bad when you just do it instead of thinking about it.

I was a bit disappointed when I realised it wasn't a similar scheme to Golden Abyss, where you mainly use the stick and then do small adjustments using motion. But it's too early for me to make a final decision yet.

Dr Dogg

Started playing with them on as you can finesse the controls a little more but turned them off as super accuracy isn't really needed and I spent way to much time adjusting the camera back to neutral due to my silly, fidgety sitting position.

Jesus are you actually serious? People having a different opinion than you is clearly not the obvious reason?

Of course not, obviously some people are going to find gyro controls genuinely easier and more accurate. And more power to them!

But as a life long Nintendo fan, there's a subset of Nintendo diehard zealots that I've always encountered that would eat shit and swear it's chocolate if it had a Nintendo logo slapped on it.

That combined with the fact shooters are probably the most common/popular game type on non Nintendo consoles, (where they're few and far between and don't tend to sell anyway) and after a decade of gyro aiming being an option, with no one other than Nintendo generally still using them, I'm very sceptical of those same diehard non shooter playing, Nintendo fans claiming it's such a superior control option for the genre they again, don't typically play.

Especially as so far, Splatoon is far and away the easiest online shooter I've ever played. The opposing teams are generally less opponents, and more victims quite frankly.

oni-link

My copy is not here yet, hopefully I'll play after work today. I'll try motion and see how it goes, but I'm pretty sure I'll end up with them off

Even when motion controls work well, they don't feel as good, and I feel like that is why on the whole after the Wii peaked they have fallen out of favour with most players

Some are saying they're more accurate, others saying less, so I think it's probably down to each person and how well they feel they can adapt to them, but from my perspective I need something more tactile, otherwise I feel like something is not quite right

teeny

Of course not, obviously some people are going to find gyro controls genuinely easier and more accurate. And more power to them!

But as a life long Nintendo fan, there's a subset of Nintendo diehard zealots that I've always encountered that would eat shit and swear it's chocolate if it had a Nintendo logo slapped on it.

That combined with the fact shooters are probably the most common/popular game type on non Nintendo consoles, (where they're few and far between and don't tend to sell anyway) and after a decade of gyro aiming being an option, with no one other than Nintendo generally still using them, I'm very sceptical of those same diehard non shooter playing, Nintendo fans claiming it's such a superior control option for the genre they again, don't typically play.

Especially as so far, Splatoon is far and away the easiest online shooter I've ever played. The opposing teams are generally less opponents, and more victims quite frankly.

I'm pretty sure that the subset of Nintendo fans you are referring to is very very small. I would consider myself a die hard Nintendo fan, but I'm platform agnostic. I reckon a lot of Nintendo fanatics beyond the age of 13 are going to be familiar with shooters especially if they had a N64 and graduated to another console or PC from there.

Basically, I don't think the scepticism is warranted from this angle. And, after all, it's just a preference. All of the hyperbole about it being "superior" is just people exaggerating, as they do with everything nowadays.

TheMoon

Off.

Motion controls just doesn't feel natural not sure why Nintendo keeps pushing it especially with the gamepad.

On.

They keep pushing it because they are objectively superior to just analog sticks but obviously personal preference can override this, as usual. So everyone can be happy but don't complain when motion control players rub the floor with ya. :D

Also this:
Many people need to learn this

B2EJpDHCYAAvDfo_thumb.jpg

Will never outlive its usefulness.

On, joystick users will have a lot of problems against good motion sensor players because they work wonders and are more precise.

Edit, you know, nintendo should put a small logo besides the game to show if you are using gyro ir not, like mario kart. Then joystick people can see they are more precise when they start loosing to teams full of them.

Jackano

On. It's the default and by the time you try it with a couple games you're very well accustomed to it. No need to go back.

As the Splatoon blog picture shows, the gyro is used for your last few dozen pixels of aiming, and it's way more precise and usable to control from your wrist than a second, way more stiff stick.

Yeah just like in MK8 when the only time I ever see someone using motion controls is when they finish 7-12th

Driving game with gyros are shit, i dont know how thats comparable. But if you want to continue to use a joystick more power to you.

the gyro in mario kart is the option, the joystick in splatoon is the option, you can already see the big diference when designing the game there.

Phoenixus

I've turned them off until Nintendo allow the option to use both motion and full stick control at once. Using motion aiming in Ocarina and Majora for fine tuning alongside analog control is ideal. I'll put up with the sticks until then.

Isomac

ON. It's so precise and you can make fast and slow movements with it. I was skeptical about the controls when I first heard about them but it's amazing.

TheMoon

Yeah just like in MK8 when the only time I ever see someone using motion controls is when they finish 7-12th

I've raced with a lot of people in the 10k points range that came in at the top spots with motion controls. I started out with motion, too and did well but then I just got too lazy because the sessions became too long and stressful lol.

I equal dual analog with: slow and inaccurate aiming, needing aim assist/snap aim, and all together awful control for an FPS. Motion control is more fun and much better (even though keyboard and mouse beats it all).

Top Bottom