• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon |OT| Squidstyler

DaBoss

Man, if only they had a system that would rate your performance instead of a team as a whole cause holy crap it sucks when your team plays poorly.

Apparently being high level means nothing, people seem to refuse to paint their own turf, or they're lazy and think I'll just do it every match. Last match I went 1-0, just spent the entire match painting our own turf, a shitload of spots that nobody claimed, dominating the opponents turf, then at the end come back and reclaim my own turf. It was like I was the only one who knew what the winning conditions are.

Apparently being high level means nothing, people seem to refuse to paint their own turf, or they're lazy and think I'll just do it every match. Last match I went 1-0, just spent the entire match painting our own turf, a shitload of spots that nobody claimed, dominating the opponents turf, then at the end come back and reclaim my own turf. It was like I was the only one who knew what the winning conditions are.
Seems like my typical experience. I'm both killer AND painter, not that I dislike it but I see many snipers painting (???) and rollers just moving random.

Err for splat zones? Because your strategy is a bad one for that mode lol

Razmos

Seems like my typical experience. I'm both killer AND painter, not that I dislike it but I see many snipers painting (???) and rollers just moving random.
Painting with the charger is actually really easy, if you just fully charge up and do it in lines. It covers a lot of ground very quickly. basically any long stretch of turf can be easily painted in 2 shots with a charger. I love it.

Cathcart

OK gang, what's the best video to show to friends who don't know what this game is so I can get them interested? Something five minutes or less that shows off gameplay with a close match maybe.

Chaos17

OK gang, what's the best video to show to friends who don't know what this game is so I can get them interested? Something five minutes or less that shows off gameplay with a close match maybe.

Find the one with the Japanese dev playing with a charger.
I was personally dumbfounded because I can't play with a charger like him...

I know that feeling that's why I like this picture and should be put on Miiverse or something

CGUDn2iUcAEh4tn.png

thefro

I'm really not feeling splat zones. To use the daft Eurogamer analogy of the game being a MOBA. Splat zones totally is a MOBA in that the mentality becomes anything less than victory is a complete waste of time. Which is not healthy. The games own feedback reinforces this as well.

Heck the victories themselves don't seem to reward much more than turf wars (1500 is highest I've seem though I've heard others getting 2000, I've heard members here getting those kind of numbers from turf wars) but the potential of losing and getting absolutely fuck all is a reality. It really goes against the ethos turf wars showed in that even a loss can be very rewarding as taking part counts (I've gotten over 1000 from losses before there, even my worse less is a lot more than 0).

It's a different gametype than Turf Wars, so it doesn't always need to be rewarding for the losers of a match or follow the same ethos.

So any suggestions for improvements? Well for one flipping the pool of 500, win is 1000 around would help a little as it would make losses twice as rewarding (still less than turf wars mind you). Secondly, make it harder to get completely wiped out. Perhaps better placement of the zones as the stages I've played either have one zone or two zones so close together a vantage point covers both.

Maybe you could get a bit of a bonus depending on how much time your team racked up in a match?

It's not that hard to dislodge the other team
- Flank the vantage points from behind/side
- Build up a special and use that to wipe the middle
- Wait for teammates, don't run into middle wildly

I've at least taken the zone back even with crappy teammates, and I wouldn't consider myself a good player. I understand the strategy mechanics though from playing Team Fortress 2 and that you're going to get wiped sometimes on a King of the Hill mode.

MouldyK

Blackbelly Skatepark Splatzones:

zlCfzTau_NopeOpwOO

Saltspray Rig Splatzones:

zlCfzTaxZDgzI0ZUNH

Urchin Underpass Splatzones:

zlCfzTau8tENlyv2z0

Walleye Warehouse Splatzones:

zlCfzTaxXSsDoqpyhP

Will add the Mall when available to recon.

Delstius

100% agree. There's chaos, then there's Splat Zone. It's really just not enjoyable.

Turf War needs to be in ranked, dammit.

Partly agree on the sentiment.

The ranked battles can be fun, but most of the time it's just mud-fight/camping and since the A ranks, I'm not sure I actually enjoyed a lot of match.
Guess I'll stick mainly with Turf War and see how it goes once there's more people in each rank, maybe it will evolve in something more interesting/less chaotic.

I really wish there was a ranked Turf War mode too.

Wait inking walls has no effect on score? Is this confirmed? If so this is a huge revelation for me and honestly kind of weird in my opinion.

Anything that can't be seen from birdseye view doesn't count towards points since you can't know where you need to replace enemy ink. Walls are only for mobility.

Razmos

I kinda like that Port Mackerel seems to have a higher chance of being in the rotation today, due to it being a new map and all that, but I'm getting kinda bored of it now, haha.

Plumpman

Anything that can't be seen from birdseye view doesn't count towards points since you can't know where you need to replace enemy ink. Walls are only for mobility.

Damn did I just totally miss this or is it "assumed"? That is huge for me I won't waste as much time painting walls now! >_<

MGrant

Wait inking walls has no effect on score? Is this confirmed? If so this is a huge revelation for me and honestly kind of weird in my opinion.

Yeah, no score for walls (check your score counter in the top right). The reason is because there's no way of seeing which walls you need to paint on the top-down map, so there would be no way to tell where you needed to go.

MajorMane

Painting with the charger is actually really easy, if you just fully charge up and do it in lines. It covers a lot of ground very quickly. basically any long stretch of turf can be easily painted in 2 shots with a charger. I love it.

You don't even need to charge it all the way for it to be effective at painting either. Half charge on some of the chargers is plenty to paint things in front of you. Couple with ability to fire as quickly as you can pull the trigger (not enough people know this), the charger is good for painting lots of ground really quickly.

Sendou

Saying that kills don't help your team because you aren't inking surface is the same as saying that defending your goal in football (soccer) doesn't help your team because you aren't making goals.

I'm really not feeling splat zones. To use the daft Eurogamer analogy of the game being a MOBA. Splat zones totally is a MOBA in that the mentality becomes anything less than victory is a complete waste of time. Which is not healthy. The games own feedback reinforces this as well.

Heck the victories themselves don't seem to reward much more than turf wars (1500 is highest I've seem though I've heard others getting 2000, I've heard members here getting those kind of numbers from turf wars) but the potential of losing and getting absolutely fuck all is a reality. It really goes against the ethos turf wars showed in that even a loss can be very rewarding as taking part counts (I've gotten over 1000 from losses before there, even my worse less is a lot more than 0).

The higher your rank, the higher your win bonus is. At rank B, you get +3000p on top of the 500p win bonus you get. Ranked is very risk versus reward, but the idea of holding a tighter zone makes the gameplay more frantic and fun for me.

Well last night certainly put me in my place. Serves me right as I was getting cocky.

The new map I kept getting killed by rollers and chargers holy crap. With so many hallways, rollers would turn the corner and plow me constantly. Chargers would sit on top of the moving forklifts and kill me. I even kept dying to other rapid fire users which I usually do pretty well at.

So then I tried Ranked battles and got destroyed. I would spawn, super jump, die immediately. Each round I must have died 15+ times and was probably no help to my team at all. I did manage to win some rounds and be top on my team, but I don&#8217;t understand why and didn&#8217;t feel any satisfaction like I knew what I was doing.

I&#8217;ll practice some more but at this point I really don&#8217;t like the zone mode. It feels more like straight up death match and it can end way too quick. One round our team won in what feels like a minute and again, I didn&#8217;t really understand why. I don't like the mindset of it either, that you can lose quick, walk away with nothing, and ruin your rank. It feels bad, whereas the normal turf war is still fun even when I lose. I love how Turfwar is completley stat-less and carefree. If I try a new weapon out and get last place 50 times in a row I couldn't care less and it's fun.

For the life of me I cannot give up the Splattershot. I blow my money on so many guns only to come back to it. No other gun clicks like that one does and I don&#8217;t get it. I tried out the Aerospray thinking the rate at which it lays down ink would be awesome and the range wouldn&#8217;t be an issue. However the accuracy kills it for me. I tried out the new Zapper thinking it&#8217;s everything the Splattershot is but better, still performed worse.

Boney

Banned
Saying that kills don't help your team because you aren't inking surface is the same as saying that defending your goal in football (soccer) doesn't help your team because you aren't making goals.
Yep. Same as it saying never stop painting. It's better to sometimes hold back and defend the hot zones

Baliis

Damn did I just totally miss this or is it "assumed"? That is huge for me I won't waste as much time painting walls now! >_<

Just look at your points when you paint a wall, it doesn't go up. Walls are still important kinda though, height can be a big advantage, there's lots of ways to get up to places that people aren't expecting so it's easy to flank.

MGrant

Partly agree on the sentiment.

The ranked battles can be fun, but most of the time it's just mud-fight/camping and since the A ranks, I'm not sure I actually enjoyed a lot of match.
Guess I'll stick mainly with Turf War and see how it goes once there's more people in each rank, maybe it will evolve in something more interesting/less chaotic.

I really wish there was a ranked Turf War mode too.

Agree as well. I think it would be better if there were multiple splat zones, or a progression from one end of the map to the other, a la TF2's CP mode. Then again, we are getting payload mode soon; should be great fun.

Jintor

Need more roaming zones. Crazy King is best King.

I swear to god I saw a Gamexplain where the zone on Walleye was roaming and randomly increasing in size! Ugh... must've been imagining things...

Chaos17

Ain't saying you can't pvp but forgetting to ink is bad since it's the goal of that game.
I'm not talking about the ranked mode.

Yes, it is confirmed and if you're looking for more advice talk to the cat in game :)

pringles

At work and all I can think of is Splatoon. This game. Have the inkgirl amiboo waiting to be picked up too, which is awesome since I thought I would have to wait forever for a new shipment.

Finished the singleplayer yesterday and the last boss is one of Nintendo's finest hours. Just so good. And the credits. Hnnnng.

I know, some snipers are really good at that. I don't think that there's anything really wrong to do in this game, not even camping that can actually help during turf wars in some stages.

At work and all I can think of is Splatoon. This game. Have the inkgirl amiboo waiting to be picked up too, which is awesome since I thought I would have to wait forever for a new shipment.

Finished the singleplayer yesterday and the last boss is one of Nintendo's finest hours. Just so good. And the credits. Hnnnng.

Same. I walked into work and my amiibos were delivered. I can't wait to go home and play.

I should definitely play with GAF, though. It seems like a good way to get gud. The problem is that my name appears as my real name and may confuse Gaffers. Can I change this easily?

Top Bottom