• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SplatoonJP twitter - details about voice chat and matchmaking with friends on Switch

Stiler

Why even bother making an app to use if you are forced to use a phone?

Does Nintendo realize that phones can gasp! call people and then you can.....talk on them? If people wanted to use their phone they could already do what the app does...all you got to do is call the person, put them on hold, add the other people to the call and merge it, bam, instant party chat room..

Or they could use this very very little known app called Skype that does the same thing....

The entire point of having chat support for many people was having it be an actual part of the console with a headset, get in a game, invite friends, plop the headset on and talk, easy peasy just like xbox/sony does.

People are going to have to buy headphone/mic for their phones to use it while playing anyways, so forcing a smartphone into it is just an un-needed and more complicated step that doesn't even need to exist.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!

Does Nintendo realize that phones can gasp! call people and then you can.....talk on them? If people wanted to use their phone they could already do what the app does...all you got to do is call the person, put them on hold, add the other people to the call and merge it, bam, instant party chat room..

Or they could use this very very little known app called Skype that does the same thing....

The entire point of having chat support for many people was having it be an actual part of the console with a headset, get in a game, invite friends, plop the headset on and talk, easy peasy just like xbox/sony does.

People are going to have to buy headphone/mic for their phones to use it while playing anyways, so forcing a smartphone into it is just an un-needed and more complicated step that doesn't even need to exist.

I mean.. it's so the group of people you're playing with is the same group in the chat. This isn't too hard to understand, you party up in the app to chat and whatnot but it also creates the party in the game so you can actually play with these people. With something like Skype you'd have to negotiate two distinct systems to connect the same group of people in two different ways, assuming you even have all the necessary info to connect with your Nintendo friends in another app.

There are plenty of reasons to think this is dumb, but let's not act extra-ignorant here.

Stiler

I mean.. it's so the group of people you're playing with is the same group in the chat. This isn't too hard to understand, you party up in the app to chat and whatnot but it also creates the party in the game so you can actually play with these people. With something like Skype you'd have to negotiate two distinct systems to connect the same group of people in two different ways, assuming you even have all the necessary info to connect with your Nintendo friends in another app.

There are plenty of reasons to think this is dumb, but let's not act extra-ignorant here.

I'm assuming the people you are playing with are people you already know, which is what most poeple do when they group up, which means they already know their number or skype info.

That's how I do it on pc at least with my friends playing league or other games, hop on skype, join a party in game and play, not that hard to do.

zelas

No, read the OP.

You should read the OP. The first translation suggests the app is needed to group up with friends. The second translation make it seem like specific friend, group invites wasn't mentioned at all and that the tweets are mainly about voice chat.

The only things clear in OP is that random matchmaking will be a thing, something we already knew from Nintendo's website and reiterated with Ultra SF2. And that voice chat is indeed going to have the type of restrictions many feared, in spite of defenders claiming otherwise while pointing to Nintendo's destitute website.

How are people interpreting this as the only way you can match up with friends? I mean, voice chat? Sure, it's been talked about it a lot that it'll only be by the phone app. But matchmaking? Really? People just want to find anything to complain about

Edit: I'm reading the translation better now and... it kinda does say that. That's a bit weird? I think the app may help with that but I don't think it'll be exclusive.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Lemme try and imagine how this system actually works.

For matchmaking with randos, the app isn't involved. Works same as it ever did, but probably doesn't support voice chat. Not that it ever really did on Nintendo machines.

The app is basically to create parties. I imagine you'll use the app to create a party, potentially with nobody even using their Switches yet. Maybe you make it earlier in the day, or right beforehand, but you can use the app to negotiate a time to play with people in the group.

You turn on your switch, and one of your multiplayer options is to use the party you're currently a part of. Everyone boots up, joins the party via their Switch, and can play together. If you wanna voice or text chat, you do so via the party app, which persists even when people turn off their systems, or into the next day even. It's likely a cross-game party, so you can use it to group up across numerous titles while the party is active.

There are some pretty cool ideas in here I think, particularly the idea of the party persisting beyond the systems being on or off, by virtue of it existing in the app. Makes for pre-gaming and post-gaming chat possibilities.

This is mostly all speculation, but it seems pretty feasible based on what we know.

For matchmaking with randos, the app isn't involved. Works same as it ever did, but probably doesn't support voice chat. Not that it ever really did on Nintendo machines.

The app is basically to create parties. I imagine you'll use the app to create a party, potentially with nobody even using their Switches yet. Maybe you make it earlier in the day, or right beforehand, but you can use the app to negotiate a time to play with people in the group.

You turn on your switch, and one of your multiplayer options is to use the party you're currently a part of. Everyone boots up, joins the party via their Switch, and can play together. If you wanna voice or text chat, you do so via the party app, which persists even when people turn off their systems, or into the next day even. It's likely a cross-game party, so you can use it to group up across numerous titles while the party is active.

There are some pretty cool ideas in here I think, particularly the idea of the party persisting beyond the systems being on or off, by virtue of it existing in the app. Makes for pre-gaming and post-gaming chat possibilities.

This is mostly all speculation, but it seems pretty feasible based on what we know.

I was thinking along the same lines.. Essentially it works as a companion app to the switch and ties into the game lobbies based on who you are partied with and who is in your game list. This is in the same spirit as the parental controls app they made that actually works very well based on demonstration (innovative)

It does seem rather annoying that you have to have ANOTHER device that runs on limited batteries along with another headset to hear friends talking. Altho the positive here is that whether you have a switch or not you can still chat with friends and hang out regardless of whether you have your switch or not.

This was a way for them to stay true to their family oriented online attitude and also free up system resources / battery life from the switch itself IMO.

The positive spin in here

ho boy

Again as great as companion apps are ... its not NEW or Innovative and not a suitable replacement for onboard features

While Im happy for those of you that seem willing to adapt it just means less voices to oppose what I consider a really dumb setup

Especially since we are paying for online now

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm

I would love that. Let's wait and see.

Nintendo just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about online gaming culture (I'm an expert), but voice chat and lobbies are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in 1993 where you can become successful by having no internet functionality. If you screw gamers over with missing online features, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the gaming public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase Splatoon 2 for the Switch system, nor will they purchase any of Nintendo's games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Nintendo has alienated an entire market with this move.

Nintendo, publicly apologize and cancel the Switch and Splatoon 2 or you can kiss your business goodbye.

Crazyorloco

"Voice chat is also linked to the game."

I'm guess the phone is optional then? Which if it is the case this isn't so bad.

you get it. This is how I envision it. When I'm outside the app will be so useful to chat, and set up matches or appointments.

When you're outside with your Nintendo Switch are you going to check skype to see who's online in Mario Kart? The Switch app makes sense when you're on the go. Think about it.

http://splatoonus.tumblr.com/post/156676664164/weve-received-a-report-that-splatoon-2-will-be

We’ve received a report that Splatoon 2 will be compatible with an upcoming app for smart devices that enhances online play. This app will link with the game and allow you to set a play appointment with your friends and teammates invited through your social media accounts. It also lets you match up with them directly in the game and voice chat with them too.

For example, during a Private Battle, you can voice chat with all of the connected friends when you divide into teams, but once teams are set, voice chat is switched to communication only between teammates in the same team. Also, you cannot communicate with random Inklings you don’t know.

splatoonus tumblr translation

I suppose everyone must've said the joke already but I guess the only way of playing Splatoon 2 (or any multiplayer online game) is to be in squid form.

Mega

Banned
I hope there's enough backlash that they forget this nonsense and implement an in-console/game solution. This is ridiculous.

Crazyorloco

http://splatoonus.tumblr.com/post/156676664164/weve-received-a-report-that-splatoon-2-will-be

We've received a report that Splatoon 2 will be compatible with an upcoming app for smart devices that enhances online play. This app will link with the game and allow you to set a play appointment with your friends and teammates invited through your social media accounts. It also lets you match up with them directly in the game and voice chat with them too.

For example, during a Private Battle, you can voice chat with all of the connected friends when you divide into teams, but once teams are set, voice chat is switched to communication only between teammates in the same team. Also, you cannot communicate with random Inklings you don't know.

splatoonus tumblr translation

Bares repeating for neogaf. We do not need the app.

I hope there's enough backlash that they forget this nonsense and implement an in-console/game solution. This is ridiculous.

Read the posts in this thread. There is chat in the game.

Floody

I still can't get over how dumb this is. Like how do they think it's better than just having the console do it? I will never use the app and it makes any MP focused game on the system completely unattractive to me, as I'll have to either not use my good headset or play barely being able to hear the game sound.

Crazyorloco

That's not what that says. It says "it" lets you match up with them. It being the phone app. The app lets you match with your friends in the game, and voice chat with them.

Well that sucks. lol Still I don't see the phone app being all that bad. I'll just use my wireless headphones and i'm set.

This. All this.

When you're outside with your Nintendo Switch are you going to check skype to see who's online in Mario Kart? The Switch app makes sense when you're on the go. Think about it.

I can't ever see playing online with the Switch when I'm on the go. I'm not going to connect and mooch off whatever weak wifi I can get a hold of. With my 3ds on the go, I only connect with others around me for local wireless multi player gaming when at cons, or events. The switch app doesn't make a lot of sense to me. There are so many other means of doing what its built to do.

azyless

@ Nintendo this is what I want :
C3l_D9ny_VYAETi_GG5.png

It shouldn't be that hard !

Ive tethered my Vita plenty of times

So yeah Playing online on the go is a great option

But when I tether I usually have my phone plugged in and set aside

Vita literally does EVERYTHING online related better by having it all on the system

I got a new shield tv for my birthday and I have to say im very impressed with the polish and speed of the platform.

If the Shield TV is indicative of how the Switch will perform or what it could be capable of ill be impressed.

The shield has built in streaming / voice chat while streaming so I dont see why it wouldnt work on the Switch.

Crazyorloco

Those are designed around data service plans. With a handheld you're just relying on wi-fi hotspots.

I have a hotspot on my phone, but yeah I know that most don't have that. Also, Wifi is pretty common where I am though (NYC) so I don't see the issue. I can understand other people being annoyed.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
It sounds like this answers the question of what this offers over a third-party voice service.

How are you meant to hear voice chat and game sounds at the same time?

Good question. I'm guessing they're going to say use headphones for one and speakers for the other, but that doesn't address noise-cancelling headphones. I guess we'll see if they've done something to address this, but I doubt it, given that none of the controllers have headphone jacks so I'm skeptical the game audio is being streamed elsewhere.

andthebeatgoeson

The question is will they take feedback and alter it. They seem stuck on the app but will enough feedback get them to open chat up. Monster hunter would be much better for me to say, 'capture it' than having it plugged in as a pretyped message i have to select.

The question is will they take feedback and alter it. They seem stuck on the app but will enough feedback get them to open chat up. Monster hunter would be much better for me to say, 'capture it' than having it plugged in as a pretyped message i have to select.

This is my hope

But we need people to get on board and soundly reject this dumb app as the ONLY means of doing this shit

Even if we just get the compromise of "porting the app" to the switch itself

Oregano

This is my hope

But we need people to get on board and soundly reject this dumb app as the ONLY means of doing this shit

Even if we just get the compromise of "porting the app" to the switch itself

Yup, I did make a petition a while back and it got completely shot down. GAF doesn't like petitions and other places had people get defensive.:(

PR_rambo

Banned
So the terrible idea is confirmed. Comforting to know that theres people always ready to throw up their shields in defense of the big N though, makes for fun reading.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Why is nobody talking about the fact that Nintendo is only enabling chat for private matches?

That means that any random matchmaking (probably in any game) won't be eligible for voice chat.

Well seeing as voice communication gives you an advantage, makes it fairer if everyone is defaulted to no voice chat.

Of course they could/should provide an option to choose if you want to matchmake with players using voice or not.

Top Bottom