• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splinter Cell 2018 leaked by Amazon.ca

VulcanRaven

Never got a chance to play Blacklist, but I wasn't a fan of any of the games post Chaos Theory. The whole Ironside issue wasn't even a deal breaker for me, so I could care less if he returns or not. I just hope that the game is as fun as Chaos Theory was.
Did you play Double Agent on Xbox 360 or PS3? I liked that too but the version on original Xbox, PS2 and Gamecube is better. I recommend playing that. It was made by Ubisoft Montreal. The same team that made the first game and Chaos Theory.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Did you play Double Agent on Xbox 360 or PS3? I liked that too but the version on original Xbox, PS2 and Gamecube is better. I recommend playing that. It was made by Ubisoft Montreal. The same team that made the first game and Chaos Theory.

Played it on the PS3, I didn't see the point on buying for last generation hardware at the time.

Filben

Did any of the legacy titles ever beat CT?

#insertnightvisionsound
Double Agent on Xbox 1 and PS2 might did (NOT X360, PS3 and PC, though!). It was basically CT but with a new story and contradicting mission objectives.

I really liked Conviction and especially Blacklist, although I'm a SC fan since SC1.

Last edited:

VertigoOA

Banned
Blacklist is a great game.
Its a great game but not the same kind of game like the old ones.

Not if you are a fan of the older ones.

I've been there since the original on Xbox. Elitism nonsense. It's a terrific stealth action game.

Don't care if ironside was missing.

Last edited:

Kathanan

Blacklist is a great game.

I've been there since the original on Xbox. Elitism nonsense. It's a terrific stealth action game.

Don't care if ironside was missing.

Well then you should know that the older ones was about stealth and stealth only... and night time levels and the use of his iconic goggles.. infiltration whitout being detected. I dont want another run and gun game.. leave that to tomb raider and uncharted kind of games.

Roni

Gold Member
Blacklist was amazing... They had finally found the perfect blend of new and old. Too bad it didn't sell all that well. But I guess they asked for that when they removed Ironside.

Filben

Well then you should know that the older ones was about stealth and stealth only... and night time levels and the use of his iconic goggles.. infiltration whitout being detected. I dont want another run and gun game.. leave that to tomb raider and uncharted kind of games.
And don't forget the abortion of an entire mission because someone found a knocked-out dude lying around in the start area you have visited like thirty minutes ago, at the start of a mission; that some actions like climbing a ladder or picking up a guy were really slow and Sam's close-combat abilities were a joke before CT and even then, in CT, they became barely acceptable.

I'm not even hating, because I like every SC game and I even finished the mediocre Double Agent on PC (and again on X360). Blacklist give you more options, it's more 'playable' and you can still go full-stealth if you like, and use gadgets to the same extent you did in the legacy games – frequently or almost not at all.

Blacklist is a great game, and yes, I'm a fan of the old games and have been there since day 1 and I played both versions of Double Agent. I dare to say that I even like Conviction because it was something fresh. As much as I like the legacy games I don't need a fifth installment of the same mechanics over and over again with somewhat forgetable stories (and never played them for their narratives). I can still play these games if I want to, but from time to time, especially after so many games, I prefer something new and Conviction did exactly that and Blacklist refined this idea with modern, accessable and playable gameplay while being 'more SC' than Conviction.

VulcanRaven

Would be great if they released the HD Trilogy on current-gen consoles. It was PS3 exclusive for some odd reason. This time they should include all the levels.

Last edited:

royox

You know you can play BlackList literally the Original SC-Style you are describing, right? If you played it the Assault Style that's on your end not the game's. Play it the Ghost (0 kills, undetected) or the Panther (kill w/o being detected) style.

VertigoOA

Banned
Blacklist is fucking awesome. Glad to see people understand that. I played stealth but killed when I had to. Pretty much how I play MGS. Enjoyed the options. Great game that should've been remastered.

Only played the OG Xbox games and blacklist tho ... so i must not be a real fan /s

Rokien

Banned
Blacklist was amazing... They had finally found the perfect blend of new and old. Too bad it didn't sell all that well. But I guess they asked for that when they removed Ironside.
Let me ask you a question. What stealth games are available to us? Seriously when was the last true stealth game that has came out in the past few years. Hell, 10 years.

New or old. Old is action, old has been done over and over and over again. Bring back the new. New was splinter cell and thief. Since these games, there has been zero stealth games. So go talk your Bs elsewhere. Let us have one stealth game to enjoy. None of this options shit. Like the options argument is one argument that pisses me off most. Because honestly. THERE'S NO OPTIONS FOR STEALTH. 0. NADA. SO GET OUTTA HERE!

crobb991

Banned
Build on blacklist's gameplay... Not bothered about Ironside to be fair... Played blacklist without Killing so looking forward to the challenge

Roni

Gold Member
Let me ask you a question. What stealth games are available to us? Seriously when was the last true stealth game that has came out in the past few years. Hell, 10 years.

New or old. Old is action, old has been done over and over and over again. Bring back the new. New was splinter cell and thief. Since these games, there has been zero stealth games. So go talk your Bs elsewhere. Let us have one stealth game to enjoy. None of this options shit. Like the options argument is one argument that pisses me off most. Because honestly. THERE'S NO OPTIONS FOR STEALTH. 0. NADA. SO GET OUTTA HERE!

Dude, go take a chill pill and get away from me with all that negativity.

And in case you need it spelled out: old is Splinter Cell SAR, PT, CT and DA and New is Conviction. And I'm assuming you weren't around the Splinter Cell forums when Conviction came out, but Conviction got a lot of backlash from the community because pure stealth wasn't an option. The head designer promised the lack of it was simply due to time and that they were going to reintroduce it in the next one.

And, for my money, being a stealth fan, I was satisfied with the stealth options they provided in Blacklist.

As for your "Z&R000 OP7IONZZZ, GIT GUD" argument, punishing stealth makes for a very inaccessible game experience. With Triple-A development costs rising more by the year, you can bet any type of stealth game published by major companies is going to feature an action option. If it didn't, you wouldn't even get to play the game, because it wouldn't be made. Why? Because not everyone has got the time to learn a new skill just for a video game.

And if the publisher has to choose between your money and the masses to pay for a Triple-A title's costs, they go with the masses. All day, every day.

Last edited:

XAL

No... It's far from great. Go play the first three. See how much different they are. Bl SUCKS, as a splinter cell game.

I've played all of them Blacklist is a very solid game.

It's more action obviously but it's not a bad game by any stretch of the imagination.

Rokien

Banned

And in case you need it spelled out: old is Splinter Cell SAR, PT, CT and DA and New is Conviction. And I'm assuming you weren't around the Splinter Cell forums when Conviction came out, but Conviction got a lot of backlash from the community because pure stealth wasn't an option. The head designer promised the lack of it was simply due to time and that they were going to reintroduce it in the next one.

And, for my money, being a stealth fan, I was satisfied with the stealth options they provided in Blacklist.

As for your "Z&R000 OP7IONZZZ, GIT GUD" argument, punishing stealth makes for a very inaccessible game experience. With Triple-A development costs rising more by the year, you can bet any type of stealth game published by major companies is going to feature an action option. If it didn't, you wouldn't even get to play the game, because it wouldn't be made. Why? Because not everyone has got the time to learn a new skill just for a video game.

And if the publisher has to choose between your money and the masses to pay for a Triple-A title's costs, they go with the masses. All day, every day.
Hmm I don't remember saying get gud. I never ever say that.
You never answered my question, when was the last true stealth game? Please answer that before putting words in my text.

Splinter cell was a triple a game and wouldn't have been here without the success of the first three games.

New splinter cell games are more action oriented. You don't have to spell anything out. How many action games are there? Every game ever. Stop ruining stealth games by wanting non stealth elements in them. Go play mgsv if you want both types. Or the new theif or deus ex.

Not once did I say BL is a bad game, I said it sucks as a splinter cell game.

But please answer my question on when was the last true stealth game to come out?

VertigoOA

Banned

I love stealth games and loved blacklist as I played it completely stealth.

And your kidding yourselves if you (not you) think "pure stealth" games aren't also just a game of reloading quick saves and checkpoints. The balance of options in Blacklist is a solid foundation.

It's been awhile since the last SC game and with that last game also being pretty damn awesome ... I'm hyped

Last edited:

Paasei

As excited as I am if it's true, I still don't think it's going to be 100% stealth. I liked Blacklist and it's stealth gameplay, but I never truly felt tense or threatened by exposing myself and/or getting shot at.

Games that are exclusively made for a (small) specific group of people won't happen anymore. Maybe if you look at the indie scene.

Last edited:

Roni

Gold Member
Splinter cell was a triple a game and wouldn't have been here without the success of the first three games. ... Not once did I say BL is a bad game, I said it sucks as a splinter cell game.

This is the most tired argument in this entire thread. Resident Evil 4/5/6 was a great game, just not a good Resident Evil game. MGS 4/Peace Walker/V was an awesome experience, but sucks as a Metal Gear game. Dead Space 3 was a fun co-op experience, but it's an awful Dead Space game. Splinter Cell 4/5/6 were fun, but they're not Splinter Cell games...

You're not breaking any new ground complaining about this: things change, you don't own the franchise, deal with it.

But please answer my question on when was the last true stealth game to come out?

Assassin's Creed: Origins
Prey
Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
Hitman
Dishonored 2
MGSV: Phantom Pain
MGSV: Ground Zeroes
Splinter Cell: Blacklist
Dishonored

Here is the highlight reel from the past 5 years.

And if your next move is pull the elitist again and say those aren't "true stealth games", don't bother answering.

Last edited:

Nielm

I'm looking forward to it. Blacklist was a good game. I just hope they go back to the old sarcastic Sam Fisher, the new one is pretty generic. Ironside needs to be brought back.

MGS V is my overall favorite stealth game, Chaos Theory being a close second. I still love playing Chaos Theory.

Last edited:
speaking of splinter cell, did ubisoft really created that wallpaper with sam fisher grabbing gordon freeman? I thought it was fanmade

Rokien

Banned
This is the most tired argument in this entire thread. Resident Evil 4/5/6 was a great game, just not a good Resident Evil game. MGS 4/Peace Walker/V was an awesome experience, but sucks as a Metal Gear game. Dead Space 3 was a fun co-op experience, but it's an awful Dead Space game. Splinter Cell 4/5/6 were fun, but they're not Splinter Cell games...

You're not breaking any new ground complaining about this: things change, you don't own the franchise, deal with it.

Assassin's Creed: Origins
Prey
Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
Hitman
Dishonored 2
MGSV: Phantom Pain
MGSV: Ground Zeroes
Splinter Cell: Blacklist
Dishonored

Here is the highlight reel from the past 5 years.

And if your next move is pull the elitist again and say those aren't "true stealth games", don't bother answering.
Again none of those games are true stealth games... Jesus. They are action games with stealth elements..

Roni

Gold Member
Again none of those games are true stealth games... Jesus. They are action games with stealth elements..

Yeah, sure... And how does it feel knowing you'll never play a triple-A true stealth game ever again?

Furious? Disappointed? A little dead inside? All of them?

'Cause , me? I'm stoked about the future. So many games I'll love to play in the horizon.

Last edited:

Rokien

Banned
Yeah, sure... And how does it feel knowing you'll never play a triple-A true stealth game ever again?

Furious? Disappointed? A little dead inside? All of them?

'Cause , me? I'm stoked about the future. So many games I'll love to play in the horizon.

So you're just a jerk? Why can't there be space for a true stealth game? Hmm?

And what a better way than to have Splinter cell bring that back?

Last edited:

Roni

Gold Member
So you're just a jerk?

Says the guy who replied to this positive message.

With this...

No, you're the jerk here.

Rokien

Banned
Says the guy who replied to this positive message.

With this...

No, you're the jerk here.

Ah yes, I do have passion. I was being a little mean by saying get out of here. Apologise for that. But I'm on the defense, especially when it's most likely they will try and copy mgsv gameplay for the next splinter cell and it kills me. And others to want the old stealth back. What's so wrong with supporting us? You guys have tons of games to choose from if you want that stealth action. We don't. So what is wrong with us having one more game?

I don't see harm in a complete stealth game, infact if done right it could be a big hit like souls. Why do the same ould same old?

Roni

Gold Member
I don't see harm in a complete stealth game...

You certainly won't, but the people paying for said game's full development do. All you'll do is drop $60 and get a piece of entertainment that cost millions of dollars to develop.

infact if done right it could be a big hit like souls.

If you have hard data on that, I'm sure lots of publishers would love to fund that. But I'm sure you don't.

Rokien

Banned
You certainly won't, but the people paying for said game's full development do. All you'll do is drop $60 and get a piece of entertainment that cost millions of dollars to develop.

If you have hard data on that, I'm sure lots of publishers would love to fund that. But I'm sure you don't.

I don't have hard data. But people like challenging games. Look at monster Hunter and the souls games. People are craving for something new and different. It's one of the reasons why pubg is big, because it's different than what else is out there. There doesn't need to be data on anything. If the Game is good it will do well. Just like movies. So really it's up to the developers to make a good game.

The first three spilntercell games did well because they were good games. A splinter cell game in today's environment would do really well if it has quality. Especially if they make spy vs mercs as good as the third one.

Roni

Gold Member
I don't have hard data. But people like challenging games. Look at monster Hunter and the souls games. People are craving for something new and different. It's one of the reasons why pubg is big, because it's different than what else is out there. There doesn't need to be data on anything. If the Game is good it will do well. Just like movies. So really it's up to the developers to make a good game.

The first three spilntercell games did well because they were good games. A splinter cell game in today's environment would do really well if it has quality. Especially if they make spy vs mercs as good as the third one.

If you think triple A games get green lit based on "go on, team, make something good" then I'm sorry to be the one to break this to you: game themes and genres are dictated by market research and status. You say, "it could be like Souls!!" only because someone took a controlled risk that demanded decades to work.

If big pure stealth games are to come back to the triple-A theater, someone in the B theater better make a huge splash with a budget game in that genre.

Soooo... You're barking up the wrong tree here when you're asking for Ubisoft to do it.

Top Bottom