• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SPOILER: Metal Gear Solid V Spoiler Thread | Such a lust for conclusion, T-WHHOOOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Right but ep51 isn't in the game at all, we only know about it from the collectors edition video. It would be weird if that cutscene is naturally in the game and they just assumed you would have youtubed ep51 for it make sense.

Cut ep51, or cut ep51 AND the "real" ending? Of course they made the choice not to cut that ending, especially since they broadcast that ep51 was cut and to get this special ending you really need to be a big fan, no big deal.

Shauni

Going to brave this thread to ask the following:

I've beaten chapters 46 and now am looking at the credits after 45. Have I beaten the game? Do I need to beat Sahelanthropus extreme? It feels like that was the end right there.

And also, what kind of fucking shit storytelling do you have to have done when people need to ask "Uh, is it over? Is that it?"

The way I look at it is that mission 45 is the end of the narrative, with mission 46 being an addendum

PensOwl

Banned
From the end of the last thread.

Meryl? Are we thinking of the same Meryl who IMMEDIATELY falls in love with Snake upon meeting him, who you're supposed to find on the base by looking at her ass, then is with you for all of three rooms before being captured for the rest of the game? At least Quiet can actually pull a trigger when you meet her.

The Boss and Olga and Sniper Wolf were good female characters though.

Meryl has some development, some interplay with snake. The most interesting part of her story in mgs1 is when she asks snake about his life and pities him for being nothing more than a soldier.

KarmaCow

I've beaten chapters 46 and now am looking at the credits after 45. Have I beaten the game? Do I need to beat Sahelanthropus extreme? It feels like that was the end right there.

And also, what kind of fucking shit storytelling do you have to have done when people need to ask "Uh, is it over? Is that it?"

That's it. There was supposed to be an ep51 at the very least dealing with Eli and the Sahelanthropus but it was cut. There was a video in the collectors edition that kinda went over it with texted overlayed on concept art and unfinished cutscenes.

jeh

So for the nuke free cinematic to be activated every player in the world needs to deactivate nukes ? This can't be it, there will always be one guy who won't. I think it only concerns multiple groups that have each a small number of players, like maybe those who have a specific PF grade or something. But even then there are gonna be those who will never see the cinematic... What the hell '.'

Big Boss throws a mean bedpan, but I still think Medic Snake can out crawl him on a bad day.

What's up with that nurse teasing Medical School Snake with her cleavage for 9 years?

Can we get a Sausage Gun DLC to turn females back to males?

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
So for the nuke free cinematic to be activated every player in the world needs to deactivate nukes ? This can't be it, there will always be one guy who won't. I think it only concerns multiple groups that have each a small number of players, like maybe those who have a specific PF grade or something. But even then there are gonna be those who will never see the cinematic... What the hell '.'

Yep, it's probably the list of names at the end.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
The way I look at it is that mission 45 is the end of the narrative, with mission 46 being an addendum

45 hit the right stylistic execution notes of an ending too despite being frustrating, unlike "hey let's replay the entire tutorial" 46.

The game isn't canon anyway.

The game is MGSV not MGS5. It's a spinoff, I thought determined that it was all made up and BB dreamt it while he was comatose, that's why the truth cutscene takes place at dawn (5:59am)?

Ever since Peace Walker, I've viewed this "Trilogy" PW, GZ, and TPP, as a weird spin off since MGS4.

KarmaCow

About building a nuke and demon status, can you undo it? Because there are actions that remove demon points, can you potentially go back to normal after building a nuke?

Griss

Yes, you're done with the story. Mission 50 is just a rehash of mission 31, nothing new at all. Sucks, doesn't it.

Jesus. Fucking. Christ.

...I can't believe it.

I feel terrible that I've missed a full thread talking about the story, feels like the conversation has probably been done to death but that's too much thread to read. What was the consensus? I mean, this wasn't disappointing, it was so much worse than that. It was just abysmal storytelling from start to finish. What the hell happened?

I guessed the Venom / Big Boss thing after chapter (edit: I mean mission) two when I was sitting at work thinking about the prologue, and then pulled up the GZ vids. I was waiting for all the story beats that would follow: Venom finding out and freaking out; Big Boss's reaction; How Zero/Cipher would handle two Snakes, all of that. Instead nothing happens between missions 1-20 (or thereabouts), then Skull Face shows up and dies, then Chapter 2 is a disjointed nightmare, then at the very end the 'twist', which at this stage means nothing but a throwaway metaphor 'You (the player), you are Big Boss!'

I'm finding it really hard to reconcile just how much enjoyment I had with the core gameplay in this game and how disappointing EVERYTHING else was.

That's it. There was supposed to be an ep51 at the very least dealing with Eli and the Sahelanthropus but it was cut. There was a video in the collectors edition that kinda went over it with texted overlayed on concept art and unfinished cutscenes.

Holy shit, so it wasn't even finished? I was wondering what would happen with Eli. So many tapes are dumped on you in Chapter 2 I hadn't caught up and was unsure what would happen there. To be honest, I was kind of expecting Sahelanthropus Extreme to be the end of Eli's story. But nope.

Also, Mantis was at the heart of everything that happened in this game, and yet the game NEVER addressed him, who he was, why he was doing the things he did, anything.

lol now Kaz's final talk with Ocelot is happening... don't pretend Boss's plan makes any sense.

X

Xpike

Unconfirmed Member
peace walker's main missions worked because every single one had something to do with the story and were "go sneak though here"

mgsv's main missions are for the most part extremely unfocused with generic objectives like "go kill these 3 random dudes", with the story only picking up until episode 20 (!), until then, you've only had about 3 story missions, Hellbound, Traitor's Caravan, and Where Do The Bees Sleep?, plus a really long period where no tapes unlocked at all. Most main missions in MGSV would've been Side Ops in Peace Walker.

It's over. You been fiddled.

Jesus. Fucking. Christ.

...I can't believe it.

I feel terrible that I've missed a full thread talking about the story, feels like the conversation has probably been done to death but that's too much thread to read. What was the consensus? I mean, this wasn't disappointing, it was so much worse than that. It was just abysmal storytelling from start to finish. What the hell happened?

I guessed the Venom / Big Boss thing after chapter two when I was sitting at work thinking about the prologue, and then pulled up the GZ vids. I was waiting for all the story beats that would follow: Venom finding out and freaking out; Big Boss's reaction; How Zero/Cipher would handle two Snakes, all of that. Instead nothing happens between missions 1-20 (or thereabouts), then Skull Face shows up and dies, then Chapter 2 is a disjointed nightmare, then at the very end the 'twist', which at this stage means nothing but a throwaway metaphor 'You (the player), you are Big Boss!'

I'm finding it really hard to reconcile just how much enjoyment I had with the core gameplay in this game and how disappointing EVERYTHING else was.

I think that's general consensus from the last thread. Really good gameplay, but pretty much everything to do with the story was terrible. Some did like the story, but I think most, including me, share your reaction.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
epuguQw.jpg

DLC pls

I haven't invested my time into a game like I have for MGSV in a long time. Felt great to keep wanting to play and thinking about the game while sitting in work. Finding an hour here and there to just do a mission or 2.

The gameplay, the structure and the story all helped pull me through the experience and want to see what happened next.

I'll need some more time to put together my thoughts on all the story elements, characters and such.

Favourite thing about the game - The gameplay. I put a lot of hours into Ground Zeroes and will still go back to it, so it's not too shocking that the Phantom Pain's gameplay had me hooked for the week and half it has taken me to finish.

Least favourite thing about the game - Ocelot. He's always been one of my favourite and most quotable video game characters so he feels wasted in the overall picture of MGSV. Hopefully I can find more positives regarding the use of Ocelot but I think I'm going to struggle.

Overall I loved the game. Another flawed master piece from Hideo Kojima and his team.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
The story hurts more when you see cutscenes that are actually cutscenes and realize the potential that the game had.

Compare:

Huey talking to Skull Face

Parasite infestation of Mother Base

Exile of Huey

Quiet's Ending

To:

Rescuing Eli (Welcome to Outer Heaven *pat on back*)

Skull Face jeep ride

Talking about Quiet in her cell with Ocelot

The "organic" cutscenes are much worse, but that's not the issue. The issue is that the story, the plot of this game is actually quite good, and carries with it a lot of potential and enjoyment, but the execution and lack of consistent real cutscenes is so disappointing when put against what could have possibly been.

I know, one should be happy with what they are able to get. But the game's direction is a mess in terms of story, and not just due to cut content, which some are using as a hand wave to explain the game's abysmal story structure.

The gameplay is fantastic, and aside from the checkpoint issue it's arguably the best stealth game made up until this point. The plot is great. The execution makes me want to cry.

We've truly gone too deep.
WtF2FiF.gif
Dear God, DD looks in pain

Gvitor

Anyone else dislike the way they handled Zero? I'm really tired of them trying to sell him as a villain with him barely appearing in the series. IIRC, he appears at the start and end of MGS3, as a good guy, at the end of MGS4, not speaking a word, and then in some tapes in TPP. And in some of these tapes, he actually tries to help Big Boss. Just in the Paz one you see him trying to do some harm. Am I supposed to just accept he's a villain because people keep telling me to? Or am I missing something here?

Anyone else dislike the way they handled Zero? I'm really tired of them trying to sell him as a villain with him barely appearing in the series. IIRC, he appears at the start and end of MGS3, as a good guy, at the end of MGS4, not speaking a word, and then in some tapes in TPP. And in some of these tapes, he actually tries to help Big Boss. Just in the Paz one you see him trying to do some harm. Am I supposed to just accept he's a villain because people keep telling me to? Or am I missing something here?

He was always #TeamBB just like ocelot.

Glass

Once the GOTY discussions start, I wonder if comparisons between Witcher 3's and MGSV's side missions will be made. Or rather, Witcher's side missions compared to a lot of MGSV's main missions.

Umm, zero is with you all the time in MGS 3, he is the XO in the codec, unless you meant in cutscenes.

Shauni

I think the thing that most people misunderstand about Zero, and The Patriots in general, is that they weren't necessarily evil or villains in the traditional sense. Zero, for instance, had an idea he thought was good for unifying the world, just that idea evolved into something else and by the time he realized he'd done more harm than good, the AI thing had evolved to a point, and he had been crippled to a point, were he couldn't do anything.

Alienous

The game tries to make him not look like a villain.

He builds Cipher too large to manage on his own. He puts his trust in people within the organization and is betrayed (Skull Face). He is poisoned and becomes more desperate to set things right. Having lost his trust in people he hands the organization over to an AI, and it's the AI that end up doing all the shit the Patriots do in the games that follow in the timeline.

He's portrayed as anything but a villain in MGSV.

X

Xpike

Unconfirmed Member

"There's no such thing as an absolute enemy."

The Patriots got out of control and then he got murdered more or less before he could do anything about it.

Good way to look at it, the "trilogy" has become fucked up with TPP though.

What irks me about this "trilogy" is the inconsistency. PW was a Teen MGS game where you take Paz on a date and other silliness. GZ suddenly gets all serious, then TPP's retcons bum me out. I was hoping it was gonna show Big Boss' transformation, instead you play as someone else who just looks like Big Boss.

The idea of playing as someone else is intriguing, I thought it worked for MGS2 and the story it was trying to tell, but it feels cheap in MGSV.

But hey, that's just how I personally feel about Metal Gear post MGS4.

Griss

The story hurts more when you see cutscenes that are actually cutscenes and realize the potential that the game had.

Compare:

Huey talking to Skull Face
Parasite infestation of Mother Bas
Exile of Huey
Quiet's Ending

To:
Rescuing Eli (Welcome to Outer Heaven *pat on back*)
Skull Face jeep ride
Talking about Quiet in her cell with Ocelot

The "organic" cutscenes are much worse, but that's not the issue. The issue is that the story, the plot of this game is actually quite good, and carries with it a lot of potential and enjoyment, but the execution and lack of consistent real cutscenes is so disappointing when put against what could have possibly been.

I know, one should be happy with what they are able to get. But the game's direction is a mess in terms of story, and not just due to cut content, which some are using as a hand wave to explain the game's abysmal story structure.

The gameplay is fantastic, and aside from the checkpoint issue it's arguably the best stealth game made up until this point. The plot is great. The execution makes me want to cry.

Dear God, DD looks in pain

Yeah. It continually astonished me how things that seemed awesome in the trailers fell completely flat when delivered in the 'organic, one-shot' in-game cutscenes. Skull faces speech above all else. Why Kojima chose to make the game in this style is beyond me, but it only hurt the game, and it hurt it tons.

Also, anyone else realise that almost every single moment from the story or cutscenes was in the trailers, plus some stuff that never even made the game? The trailers have more story than the fucking game does! And they promised the epic that would unfold but instead you knew almost everything about the game just from watching the trailers. I got more enjoyment from each trailer than I did from experiencing the story in-game. That's really, really sad.

Alienous

Yeah. It continually astonished me how things that seemed awesome in the trailers fell completely flat when delivered in the 'organic, one-shot' in-game cutscenes. Skull faces speech above all else. Why Kojima chose to make the game in this style is beyond me, but it only hurt the game, and it hurt it tons.

Also, anyone else realise that almost every single moment from the story or cutscenes was in the trailers, plus some stuff that never even made the game? The trailers have more story than the fucking game does! And they promised the epic that would unfold but instead you knew almost everything about the game just from watching the trailers. I got more enjoyment from each trailer than I did from experiencing the story in-game. That's really, really sad.

Gosh, you're right.

Things like Big Boss rubbing the ashes on his face only made me think "I remember this being pretty cool in the trailer".

The only cutscene that elicited a reason from me was Sahelanthropus standing upright, and after finishing the game I went back to watch the MGSV Launch Trailer only to find it would have been spoiled by that if I had watched it before playing. Everything else was "Oh, right, so that is them about to execute Skull Face". "Oh, fire Volgin is about to chase them through the woods".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom