• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SPOILER: Metal Gear Solid V Spoiler Thread | Such a lust for conclusion, T-WHHOOOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alienous

Venom Snake actually does more gun tricks with Skullface's pistol before shooting him than Ocelot does in the entire game.

Shauni

I'm on the opposite side of that coin.

I wonder in what light will MGSV be held in when people come back to it in retrospect years from now.

I think the Big Boss body double thing will always be polarizing, but overall, I expect this game will be remembered pretty fondly upon revisits. Honestly, the story isn't that bad. Yeah, there's the usual psuedo-science nonsense and some threads are clearly left hanging, but overall, I found the narrative enjoyable. And I've come to like the tapes over codec, too.

Venom Fox

Banned
This man speaks the truth.

Getting a sexual stimulation by reloading your firearm gives you no tactical advantage whatsoever.

Yeah, that doesn't count. That was a half-assed twirl.

Indeed you are correct, sir. It's too bad we won't ever get a real MGS5.
The real game is the game we have seen in the trailers, the real MGS5. We have been playing as a Phantom in the game as well as the game itself. To the world this is called "DOUBLEFIDDLED".

Gvitor

Yeah, I meant to ask and forgot. I did the 10 wandering MB, but an 11th didn't pop up (and by the mission count it doesn't even exist) and I'm missing a photo.

Venom Fox

Banned
I like the way you think.
Seriously, there's a reason why when we see Venom wake up in the truth ending it looks like a "memory". There's also a reason why we didn't see the escape to the whaling ship. Because non of it never happened. If The phantom could hallucinate Paz, Ocelot, Kaz, 11 photos, a butterfly and a whole medical room, why wouldn't he have hallucinated the whole game?

The memory of Venom waking up was Ocelot using words to control the subconscious.

Digoxin side effects: Common adverse effects (≥1% of patients) include loss of appetite, nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea as gastrointestinal motility increases. Other common effects are blurred vision, visual disturbances (yellow-green halos and problems with color perception), confusion, drowsiness, dizziness, insomnia, nightmares, agitation, and depression, as well as a higher acute sense of sensual activities.

The Digoxin would've knocked Venom out, not made him run about the hospital.

Palpable

So you disliked the gameplay/structure and didn't mind the story? You're in the minority there, pal. This is easily the best MGS in terms of gameplay (maybe not structure), but the worst in terms of story. Fake Big Boss plot is so stupid. It's a mess. So much shit unanswered and we didn't even see real Big Boss descend into madness.

Also the Paz retcon was ridiculous. I really liked GZ and he managed to go back and ruin part of it, too.

There was no Paz retcon. Show her all of the mementos you get from fultoning the Mother Base soldiers (side ops).

Yeah, I meant to ask and forgot. I did the 10 wandering MB, but an 11th didn't pop up (and by the mission count it doesn't even exist) and I'm missing a photo.

Check the wall just outside of Paz's room.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
6oQTbrD.jpg

KUT KONTENT IN VIDEO FORM.

This is the no nuke video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2E17aKPp_o

Maybe this triggers when every single FOB nuke is disarmed. SOMETHING THAT CAN ONLY BE DONE IN VIDEO GAMES (lol)
Fuck. Multiple lengthy cutscenes cut. ._. Or maybe the bolded is right.

Gvitor

So you disliked the gameplay/structure and didn't mind the story? You're in the minority there, pal. This is easily the best MGS in terms of gameplay (maybe not structure), but the worst in terms of story. Fake Big Boss plot is so stupid. It's a mess. So much shit unanswered and we didn't even see real Big Boss descend into madness.

I loved the gameplay. When I'm in a village stealth tranqing my way through, it's great. I don't like the mission-based structure.

Glass

The way the Paz story is in the game is the weirdest part, not her story itself. Like, its a random door 99% of people not visiting message boards will miss. Then to progress it, you have to do side ops missions which the game doesn't feel the need to tell you are connected and progress the talks you have with her. It's so disjointed and weird, but its not commented on because this game has so many other issues.

X

Xpike

Unconfirmed Member
if the cutscene triggers when every single FOB nuke is disarmed why dont we just try to get people to stop making nukes

also i'm treating MGSV as a fun sidestory not essential to the main games, except for the Zero and Strangelove tapes.

The way the Paz story is in the game is the weirdest part, not her story itself. Like, its a random door 99% of people not visiting message boards will miss. Then to progress it, you have to do side ops missions which the game doesn't feel the need to tell you are connected and progress the talks you have with her. It's so disjointed and weird, but its not commented on because this game has so many other issues.

It does kinda tell you, all the pictures you get are paz related, and you show her one the first time the scene triggers.
The door is random because well, there is nobody to actually tell you she's there.

The Moby Dick stuff reminds me of the christian references in Evangelion. The christian stuff wasn't there because it had some deep meaning/relevance to the story, instead it was just because Anno thought it was cool.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
6oQTbrD.jpg

KUT KONTENT IN VIDEO FORM.

This is the no nuke video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2E17aKPp_o

Maybe this triggers when every single FOB nuke is disarmed. SOMETHING THAT CAN ONLY BE DONE IN VIDEO GAMES (lol)

Regarding this

https://twitter.com/popcicle/status/642887363677454337

"if someone got this scene naturally, this early, I'm impressed"
"probably better players stop searching game files for what they think is cut and instead find the game that isn't"

I hope my FOB nuke joke theory wasn't actually close to being right lol
(assuming he just doesn't know what he's talking about tho)

ozium said:
I don't know how people can defend QUIET when Previous Metal Gear games (read: good ones) had strong, positive female characters like THE BOSS, MERYL, HOLLY, etc. who have their own unique personality and actually work with the protags rather than being used by them.

TPP has zero.

From the end of the last thread.

Meryl? Are we thinking of the same Meryl who IMMEDIATELY falls in love with Snake upon meeting him, who you're supposed to find on the base by looking at her ass, then is with you for all of three rooms before being captured for the rest of the game? At least Quiet can actually pull a trigger when you meet her.

The Boss and Olga and Sniper Wolf were good female characters though.

Neoweee

It does kinda tell you, all the pictures you get are paz related, and you show her one the first time the scene triggers.
The door is random because well, there is nobody to actually tell you she's there.

Oh, I see the connection now. I wondered why the plot hadn't progressed, but I now know I can push it forward a bit. Thanks!

KarmaCow

Regarding this

https://twitter.com/popcicle/status/642887363677454337

"if someone got this scene naturally, this early, I'm impressed"
"probably better players stop searching game files for what they think is cut and instead find the game that isn't"

I hope my FOB nuke joke theory wasn't actually close to being right lol
(assuming he just doesn't know what he's talking about tho)

You can see a child soldier placing flowers on the monument and if this is a late game thing it would be after they leave. Unless I'm mistaken, the game doesn't seem to acknowledge the existence of any child soldiers you extract other than initial five other than the existence of rooms specifically for them on Mother Base.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
If this is tied to FOBs being nuke free then it might as well be cut content.

He said he is surprised someone would find it this early if playing the game normally, so it probably doesn't involve everyone going nuke free, but rather requires some sort of extensive list of things to be accomplished.

You can see a child soldier placing flowers on the monument and if this is a late game thing it would be after they leave. Unless I'm mistaken, the game doesn't seem to acknowledge the existence of any child soldiers you extract other than initial five other than the existence of rooms specifically for them on Mother Base.

They are brought back in ep51. It would be a discontinuity error if we didn't know about the mission. As far as I know, the ONLY thing actually cut from the game in a significant way is ep51, which Konami themselves revealed, and it's not on disc. So it appears that what people find on disc is in the game.

Glass

Yeah the photos are related, taken by the soldiers you bring back iirc. But the game only tells you after the fact. Did you figure out that after rescuing a mother base soldier you should go check on Paz, or did you know to do it because you read it somewhere?
It's great if games have hidden stuff in them, but this feels less like its a hidden easter egg and more like they ran out of time to work it in more cohesively to the experience.

X

Xpike

Unconfirmed Member
From the end of the last thread.

Meryl? Are we thinking of the same Meryl who IMMEDIATELY falls in love with Snake upon meeting him, who you're supposed to find on the base by looking at her ass, then is with you for all of three rooms before being captured for the rest of the game? At least Quiet can actually pull a trigger when you meet her.

The Boss and Olga and Sniper Wolf were good female characters though.

Meryl's whole thing was about how she maybe wasn't cut out to be a soldier yet and fighting though those insecurities, she fell in love with the legend of Snake, not the man himself since they break up between 1 and 2.

If this is tied to FOBs being nuke free then it might as well be cut content.

I agree, even if reddit, 4chan, gaf, etc, decide to pool together and never create nukes there's still a large quantity of players that probably haven't ever gone to a place where this has been posted.

Yeah the photos are related, taken by the soldiers you bring back iirc. But the game only tells you after the fact. Did you figure out that after rescuing a mother base soldier you should go check on Paz, or did you know to do it because you read it somewhere?
It's great if games have hidden stuff in them, but this feels less like its a hidden easter egg and more like they ran out of time to work it in more cohesively to the experience.

I figured it out the moment the photograph gets brought up, because I was wondering why I kept collecting them.
I stumbled upon her after collecting like 5 photos.

Murkas

Out of curiosity, is Quiet's bond trophy unobtainable after you finish the game and you haven't maximised her bond level by then? Hilarious if so.

KarmaCow

He said he is surprised someone would find it this early if playing the game normally, so it probably doesn't involve everyone going nuke free, but rather requires some sort of extensive list of things to be accomplished.

They are brought back in ep51. It would be a discontinuity error if we didn't know about the mission. As far as I know, the ONLY thing actually cut from the game in a significant way is ep51, which Konami themselves revealed.

Right but ep51 isn't in the game at all, we only know about it from the collectors edition video. It would be weird if that cutscene is naturally in the game and they just assumed you would have youtubed ep51 for it make sense.

Griss

Going to brave this thread to ask the following:

I've beaten chapters 46 and now am looking at the credits after 45. Have I beaten the game? Do I need to beat Sahelanthropus extreme? It feels like that was the end right there.

And also, what kind of fucking shit storytelling do you have to have done when people need to ask "Uh, is it over? Is that it?"

Going to brave this thread to ask the following:

I've beaten chapters 46 and now am looking at the credits after 45. Have I beaten the game? Do I need to beat Sahelanthropus extreme? It feels like that was the end right there.

And also, what kind of fucking shit storytelling do you have to have done when people need to ask "Uh, is it over? Is that it?"

Yes, you're done with the story. Mission 50 is just a rehash of mission 31, nothing new at all. Sucks, doesn't it.

Alienous

Finished mission 45 and the game.

Disclaimer: this will be a long post. I don't know if anyone will care for it, and I'm sure parts of it, if not all, were already discussed, but I just need to vent out. Here it goes.

God, this game has so many problems. Most, if not all of them, comes from it being basically Peace Walker 2 and an open world game.

Peace Walker 2 is a good way to sum up the faults of the game.

The Peace Walker structure is awful. I gave it a pass in PW because that was portable. TPP isn't. The TBCs are ridiculous and break the pacing of a game that already has shit pacing to begin with. The PW structure hurts the narrative, hurts immersion and with these stupid TBCs, waste the player's time (going back to ACC then listening to Miller then going back to mission plus loading times). Alas, wasting the player's time is the thing this game does the best.

Yeah. What worked for Peace Walker (shorter missions that you can complete in a play 'session') doesn't translate as well to longer missions. There is a flow that's lacking in the game, and it takes away from the sorts of things the open-world is meant to add. You finish a mission, then you are shown how well you done in the mission, what soldiers you picked up, and if you decided to evac by helicopter you leave the open world entirely. I feel like 'living in the world' would have suited having an open world more.

And that's mostly due to it being open world. I played Mad Max at a friend's house this past weekend. I barely got any time with it, but the overworld there seemed to be a desert with barely anything in it, and it still had more stuff than MGSV. But most of all, it was fun to traverse. Afghanistan and Africa aren't. One is chock-full of mountains blocking the way and the other is a less mountainous, more green version of the first. Transportation is awful, and Pequod almost always leaves you far away from the LZs. Worse than that, before the mission starts you don't even know where the mission is. Sometimes you can deduce from Miller's monologue or from the mission description, but not always. I had to guess the closest LZ. Not that it really mattered, since missions tend to make you traverse the world while in them as well. You can't even fully be safe by choosing DD or Quiet at the start of the mission, because if you end up far away, you'll have to change to another buddy. Or do everything in foot. Hell, you might need to do it even if you do start close to the mission, since as I said, missions have you going around. The "target's predicted route" ones are the worst in that regard.

Traversal not being fun was a big issue of mine too. It just ... isn't. The most positive thing I can say about the open world navigation is that it is less of a pain in the Africa region when compared to the Afghanistan region. And good point on the pre-mission landing zones; with a lot of the mission information unknown before landing it's difficult to tell if there is a more optimal landing zone than the default. Most of the time I just went default.

The story isn't great (more on that later), but the narrative is the worse of the two, in my opinion. Again, that's because it follows PW's structure. It's filled with... well, fillers. To the point of the ridiculous. In the beginning I gave it a pass because the gameplay is great and the level design of the scattered villages and whatnots are good, but the fillers overstayed their welcome for so long that eventually I just wished the game would end. Chapter 2 gets ridiculous with this. All of the main missions (with exception of the last one and the Quiet one, but the latter starts as a side) are fillers. They are even more useless than the ones in Chapter 1, somehow. All of the main story-related missions are side quests or happen in MB. They did that to extend the gameplay time in a game that was already too big for its own good. If it was the reverse, and stuff like "rescue the children" and "get the remains of the man on fire" was Main Missions and the random stuff was side-quest, I (and many others, I'd assume) would skip on them entirely.

That hurts the narrative, the overall story impact (even though it's mostly bad anyway), and the game's pace in general. Speaking of lenghtening the game and forcing stupid missions, the rehashed missions in Chapter 2 are just ridiculous. Your options are either to do them or to do random side-quests, so either they stop being "side" quests or you have to play the game again in hard mode. That is a ridiculous design philosophy and the only excuse I can come up with as to why this ended up this way is that the game was rushed and they had to cut content but keep the same time necessary to end the game. I had no desire to them to the point I'd rather capture legendary brown bears (even though I didn't do most of the side-missions before that point, with the exception of the Paz-related ones). So to end it up the game shoves down my throat an exact replica of the first mission. I didn't skip a single cutscene afraid they'd add stuff to them (like they did at the start), but nope. Almost an hour playing that slow-as-fuck mission again.

Yeah, so many of the missions are tantamount to the Side-Ops in Ground Zeroes; they pretend to be story relevant but they aren't or barely are. Chapter 2 adds retreads into the mix and is a sad experience overall because of it; playing through a tutorial again is pretty ridiculous.

But yeah, it felt like padding. There's a 10 hour experience in Chapter 1 that the game surrounds with missions that they didn't make the effort to build into the narrative.

Another reason I believe this game is rushed is that some of tapes (a lot of them, actually) feel like they had to be in the game. Instead they're... optional? This is the guy who made us sit through hours of cutscenes in MGS4. Sure, he could've learned some lessons, but this is some change. If some of those tapes were actually cutscenes, and some fillers have been cut, it would help the game lots.

Tapes struck me as a particularly lazy way of conveying the story. They're lore dumps; "Here's your story, separate to the experience of playing the game". Not being able to convey fairly important elements of the story within the game itself, even in cutscenes, strikes me as a failure of the story. Then again I don't know how necessary the tapes are to the understanding of the plot as I did listen to most of them.

Speaking of awful fights, this game has a lot of them. The only semi-clever boss is Quiet, the other are just meh. But the main problems are the goddamn skulls and tank missions. 29 and 45, specifically. Holy shit. That was bad. That is literally Peace Walker 2, where the enemies/bosses are bullet sponges and you NEED Launchers and most of all, Supply Drops. It ain't fun and it's bad design.

Quiet made me think of The End, and I couldn't enjoy the fight for what it was. I did enjoy the faster pace, sprinting and dashing between cover. I didn't really like any of the boss fights. The Man on Fire disappointed me particularly as it seemed like a good Metal Gear Solid boss fight set-up executed poorly; instead of being chased by him in a building, or a closed environment, I'm running around him as he appears threatening. My boss fight ended with him tripping into the reservoir, lol.

There are a lot of minor points I don't like as well, like the goddamn slopes Snake can't climb, but I won't dwelve into them otherwise this post won't ever end. Ultimately, this game feels rushed in a lot of areas. It's kind of baffling. I was expecting Kojima to go out with a bang, but this was disappointing. Underwhelming, really.

Most of what I wanted to climb I was able to navigate. There were times where I slid where it seemed like I shouldn't have, but that's the result of having a large open world, I suppose.

As for the story. The twist didn't surprise me due to pre-release theories and discussions with friends, and I'm not entirely against it, but I think the execution was bad in some regards, mainly because it felt like Big Boss ran away instead of fighting, and left his revenge for Miller and a random. "He was always our best soldier". 4th wall or not, just nope.

And there's no way he went out to build a "nation" bigger than MB and went unnoticed. If that's the case, then why change faces?

The ending strikes me as something not even Kojima put much thought into. It's like a meta statement that intrudes on the actual canon.

The rest of the story seemed like a checklist. "Hey, here's the Eli ending. Now the Huey ending. Now the Quiet ending. Now Venom's ending." It felt disjointed, because, well, it was. Some of them you can even finish the game without seeing. Code Talker didn't even got an ending (aside from the ridiculously fast story facts at the end), but thank god, because that character already is too much in this game and he is just awful.

Well, I don't know about Eli.

But Chapter 2 was very much resolving stuff because it had to be resolved, with not care put towards pacing or structure.

Also the Paz retcon was ridiculous. I really liked GZ and he managed to go back and ruin part of it, too. And since when is Miller blind?

It wasn't quite a retcon actually. You have to complete the 'quest'.

And Miller's eyes look blind, but nothing he does seems like he's blind. It's strange. I honestly can't tell if he's supposed to be blind.

I had some good times with the game. I loved some missions, like 43, for instance. But mostly I was seeing problems. Some of them, like the enemy sniper, are pretty much spelled out to you. And it hindered my enjoyment a lot. The gameplay is superb and ultimately, this is a game. But it is also a combination of several parts. If you stick 10 hours of unskippable shitty cutscenes in Super Mario Galaxy, it will suck, regardless of how great the gameplay is. The game has to respect your time and be well tight, and MGSV just isn't.

Someone on Reddit made this analogy. "MGSV is like eating into something delicious and realizing it's more and more uncooked as you get eat into it". As you say, the gameplay is superb. A lot of it is brilliant. But there are definite flaws.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom