• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SPOILERS Pokemon Sun/Moon Begins to leak on 4Chan

Mr-Joker

Banned
Necrozma certainly feels "incomplete", just like Kyurem and Zygarde. And damn, it really looks like a dragon's head. lol

Well we've got our SuMo 2 set up. Empty lots become gyms, Tapus and transformer 3rd legendary have new forms.

Yeah, Necrozma looks cool but I wonder if Game Freak will do a third version or once again skip it and go straight to gen 8.

Personally I am leaning toward the former.

Reminds me that BW story was never finished and that we'll probably never see the original dragon.

No Black and White story is finished and the reason we never saw Kyurem true form was because the other half of the dragon wasn't in Unova.

Though Game Freak will probably go back and show off the original dragon when Unova will eventually get the remake treatment as I suspect that they will handle it different.

Berordn

So, I know we're still mining the data, but Omega Ruby is going to be $25 on Black Friday at some places, and I had skipped out on that release. Does it look like any of the systems or pokemon from those games will be worthwhile to have once Bank connection opens up? The Ruby/Sapphire remakes are the only pokemon games I've missed since Platinum.

Previous gens will be the only way to get certain Pokemon in Sun/Moon for a while, and OR/AS gives you a ton of legendaries from previous gens so it might be worth a playthrough.

Since there's no tutors in Sun/Moon you might also want to hold it for breeding certain moves you get from Battle Resort in OR/AS. Gen VI to VII is a one way transfer though, so there's not going to be much reason to keep it once you get the Pokemon into Sun/Moon.

haven't been following the thread. So what's the consensus?

Its the most modern Pokemon yet. Great touches to the story. Everything is great presentation wise and very well composed.

The new pokemon are fun to use. The old pokemon are fun to use. Overall, I've been agreeing with those who say the game feels like a "celebration". It really does, It feels like Pokemons 20th Anniversary game.

Despite everything Ive come across, there is a faint sense that things could be a little more developed but Im sure possible sequels will be for that.

Its a pokemon game, so Im afraid how much dries up after the main story, but people have been reporting the postgame isn't as dry as it seems.

If this is your first romp with Pokemon or have been waiting for this game, You will get a feel good high while playing the story. Way more engrossing than usual and the characters and presentation really keep you engrossed and entertained.

Also the make your own character really keeps you a lot more invested, it feels like your having this adventure.

Previous gens will be the only way to get certain Pokemon in Sun/Moon for a while, and OR/AS gives you a ton of legendaries from previous gens so it might be worth a playthrough.

Since there's no tutors in Sun/Moon you might also want to hold it for breeding certain moves you get from Battle Resort in OR/AS. Gen VI to VII is a one way transfer though, so there's not going to be much reason to keep it once you get the Pokemon into Sun/Moon.

I agree, until bank opens up you won't see barely any 6th Gen mon, anything before Jan will be hacked in so its possible to get legal one before that. Im sure this was to still sell the 6th gen games, It seems they let the 6th Gen games retain certain mons and breeding options while they went a diff route with SunMo

UberTag

So, I know we're still mining the data, but Omega Ruby is going to be $25 on Black Friday at some places, and I had skipped out on that release. Does it look like any of the systems or pokemon from those games will be worthwhile to have once Bank connection opens up? The Ruby/Sapphire remakes are the only pokemon games I've missed since Platinum.
On the competitive front, it'll open up a number of legal egg moves for the Sun / Moon pokemon that are otherwise illegal right now. Alolan Muk would really benefit a ton from having access to Pursuit. You'll be able to breed it over to him if you've got access to a Dusclops from OR/AS... although if you still have access to your older pokemon games presumably you could move one to the Bank from 5th gen as well.

PK Gaming

haven't been following the thread. So what's the consensus?

+Lots of QoL changes like knowing if a move is Super Effective / NVE on a target and the removal of HMs.
+Way more challenging than the recent gens
+Gyms have been replaced with trials, and they're pretty fun. You can do more than just battling (like mini games)
+Story and characters are (supposedly) pretty good. It goes places.
+Music is phenomenal.
+The new Pokemon are pretty good and the Ultra Beasts are fantastic
-It's (supposedly) still linear
-Battles are pretty slow
-Not too much in the way of postgame

Cruxist

On the competitive front, it'll open up a number of legal egg moves for the Sun / Moon pokemon that are otherwise illegal right now. Alolan Muk would really benefit a ton from having access to Pursuit. You'll be able to breed it over to him if you've got access to a Dusclops from OR/AS... although if you still have access to your older pokemon games presumably you could move one to the Bank from 5th gen as well.

Ok, this is specifically what I was looking for. I've got most prior legendaries in Box from all of my older games, but move tutors could push me over the edge. Plus, it's not like pokemon games aren't fun. Thanks, guys!

Aleh

To be honest if GF wasn't planning to make a third version/sequels this time, they probably wouldn't have left any mystery regarding Necrozma since they just had to skip Z... I want to believe they wouldn't make the same mistake twice in a row, right? Not like I consider it a mistake anyways, Sun and Moon definitely brought more to the table than any Z version ever could have, even if this means Gen 6 doesn't feel complete.

+Lots of QoL changes like knowing if a move is Super Effective / NVE on a target and the removal of HMs.
+Way more challenging than the recent gens
+Gyms have been replaced with trials, and they're pretty fun. You can do more than just battling (like mini games)
+Story and characters are (supposedly) pretty good. It goes places.
+Music is phenomenal.
+The new Pokemon are pretty good and the Ultra Beasts are fantastic
-It's (supposedly) still linear
-Battles are pretty slow
-Not too much in the way of postgame

Yup I agree.

O3DS has to be noted to have some decent slowdown at times. Doubles, Battle Royale...

Its weird cus music and SE run at full speed but the game has this slowdown in animation yet nothing gets out of sync. Really jarring but it runs.

It does feel linear as its a Pokemon game with set routes. But people must note that these routes have length, There are small sub areas within routes, there are caves not documented on the map, and each island gets progressively bigger.

The battles being slow have nothing to do with the 3DS slowdown, they are just actually like that. It seems like there is wicked processing going on so the 3DS takes an extra second to calculate and execute, IDK how this is on N3DS.

Its nowhere near Plat slow but its def a little slower than xyoras

jelmerjt

Where to find Dhelmise:

Go to the boat that looks like steelix, walk in, take the door to the south and you'll end up a deck with a fishing spot.

Then enjoy the 1% encounter rate.

Boat near Seafolk Village, Poni Island (4th island) btw.

Artanisix

Is it actually challenging or just challenging compared to older pokegames?

Wish there was a hard mode you could toggle on. Speaking of hard modes, are there any good pokemods that make the game significantly more difficult?

People were asking for a clearer shot of Toxapex. I found one that's almost cute. Sadly it doesn't look this good most of the time instead usually just looking really bored:

6ojL52n.png

Still enjoying a lot of the starter based art :3

PK Gaming

Wish there was a hard mode you could toggle on. Speaking of hard modes, are there any good pokemods that make the game significantly more difficult?

Turn off EXP share, set the battle style to SET and you WILL suffer.

Opponents aggressively target weaknesses now :x

Pretty much look up Drayano Pokemon hacks and you'll get the best of the increased difficulty mods.

It's definitely not as hard as an SMT game but they've upgraded the AI and there's more creative encounters in general. When you play, I suggest changing the battle style from shift to set and turn off the EXP share. I do think I've winced a number of times when the AI got me with a Z-Move and I was put in a tricky spot.

TBH, I would say challenging compared to the old games mostly.

Its still a pokemon game with decent difficulty but there are these moments and battles that completely catch you off guard like Hala Grand Trial and such.

These trainers have mons with great move pools and stats and uses excellent strategies and Zmoves.

But what I think really adds to the "difficulty" this gen is type match up. I think moreso than any another Pokemon game, type matchup happens here often and you can find yourself starting to use the heal party tactic in order to stick around in battles and finish out.

If you want to have a good time with challenge, I reccomend people playing with a Litten,Yungoose,Grubbin combo. Def made things feel rewarding.

To be honest if GF wasn't planning to make a third version/sequels this time, they probably wouldn't have left any mystery regarding Necrozma since they just had to skip Z... I want to believe they wouldn't make the same mistake twice in a row, right? Not like I consider it a mistake anyways, Sun and Moon definitely brought more to the table than any Z version ever could have, even if this means Gen 6 doesn't feel complete.

Well I've assumed for a while that Z/XZYZ was going to be a thing that was planned for release in 2015, but was scrapped for some reason. The anime usually ties into the games and that whole XYZ arc would've made more sense, similar to Best Wishes Season 2 during Gen V. Not to mention that it seems like Zygarde is literally just shoehorned into Sun/Moon with little explanation and the art for the different forms was almost definitely drawn by Sugimori, as opposed to Ohmura.

Then you have the fact that Zygarde had a lower BST than Xerneas/Yveltal and unused moves, which was the exact same situation Kyurem was in. One of the moves from Gen VI, Light of Ruin, still isn't even usable outside of hacking.

The deal with Necrozma is a bit more vague. The game implies that it isn't an Ultra Beast in the same sense as the other 7, part the url on the official site literally says"3rdlegendary", and it has a lower BST than Solgaleo/Lunala. On the other hand, there seems to be no unused moves for it (it doesn't even get an exclusive Z move) and Marshadow is the only mythical left to give out.

Do we know if any of the new moves have priority, and if so how much? Like does Golisiopod's unique move have the same priority as fake out? And have any priorities changed?

.JayZii

Banned
So the exp share is like black and white where the amount earned is based on level, but is it a single pokemon item, or does it cover your whole team?

Joqu

People were asking for a clearer shot of Toxapex. I found one that's almost cute. Sadly it doesn't look this good most of the time instead usually just looking really bored:

Thanks. I guess that looks all right... Sort of. No use kidding myself though, Mareanie is so much better ;_;

Mr-Joker

Banned
Well I've assumed for a while that Z/XZYZ was going to be a thing that was planned for release in 2015, but was scrapped for some reason. The anime usually ties into the games and that whole XYZ arc would've made more sense, similar to Best Wishes Season 2 during Gen V. Not to mention that it seems like Zygarde is literally just shoehorned into Sun/Moon with little explanation and the art for the different forms was almost definitely drawn by Sugimori, as opposed to Ohmura.

Then you have the fact that Zygarde had a lower BST than Xerneas/Yveltal and unused moves, which was the exact same situation Kyurem was in. One of the moves from Gen VI, Light of Ruin, still isn't even usable outside of hacking.

The deal with Necrozma is a bit more vague. The game implies that it isn't an Ultra Beast in the same sense as the other 7, part the url on the official site literally says"3rdlegendary", and it has a lower BST than Solgaleo/Lunala. On the other hand, there seems to be no unused moves for it (it doesn't even get an exclusive Z move) and Marshadow is the only mythical left to give out.

Plus the fact that X and Y had data for AZ Floette who had different stats and an exclusive move.

It's clear that they must had plans for "Pokémon Z" but ended changing their mind and decided to shoe Zygarde into Sun and Moon.

MegaMelon

I wonder if that doesn't necessarily mean that gen 7 will be short. ORAS showed, they don't particularly care about intra generational compatibility as you can't use the oras megas with xy. Is it possible GF didn't want to ruin the surprise of whatever new stuff/mythicals they've got left so didn't add them to the games? Unlikely what with the demo having all the mons and UBs but who knows, that could have been a controlled leak.

Wut, they couldn't be bothered to give it a cave to hide in? Zygarde at least got a cave to chill out in.
Looking into it further it might be even worse. Some are claiming it's a 'wandering legendary' and so it could be in grass anywhere in the region with absolutely no way of knowing where to look and the peeps who caught it on Carrat hill were lucky.

Friends - which version has salamence and metagross family?

(Alongside ampharos family?)

Salamance is in both versions and the Metagross Family is exclusive to Moon. Ampharos is not available in either game.

What the fuck

Beware's ability, Fluffy, halves the damage of all contact moves. So it's Fighting Type weakness is almost none existent since there's only like 3-viable non-contact fighting moves and one of them is exclusive to Keldeo.

I wonder if that doesn't necessarily mean that gen 7 will be short. ORAS showed, they don't particularly care about intra generational compatibility as you can't use the oras megas with xy. Is it possible GF didn't want to ruin the surprise of whatever new stuff/mythicals they've got left so didn't add them to the games? Unlikely what with the demo having all the mons and UBs but who knows, that could have been a controlled leak.

Since the National Dex is Bank-exclusive now, it does give them a way to add to it without updating previous games in a generation. I don't think they'll lock off complete Pokemon though. Forms are a different story since they've done that for ages (Deoxys, Shaymin, Giratina etc.). What they usually do in Japan is distribute the event Pokemon so anyone with a game in that generation can get it, then use the new form(s) to convince them to buy the newest game.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
So I've got everyone decided except my 6th member---I'm kind of thinking despite usually using "New Pokemon", maybe I'll dip into one of the many 721 classics I've never touched?

Taking out all the Gen VII Pokemon, and all Grass/Fire/Water/Normal/Fighting/Bug/Ground/Dark Pokemon since Incineroar, Lurantis, Bewear, Mudsdale, and Araquanid cover those...these are my options of ones I've never used extensively in any game really...also I like to avoid single-stagers so only evolutions...

Abra
Magnemite
Gastly
Misdreavus
Zubat
Bagon
Goomy
Cranidos
Shieldon
Archen
Trubbish
Cleffa
Dratini

Nothing really pops out to me here---but I think I'm deciding between Zubat or Magnemite. Or maybe Cleffa, but it pops up pretty late and I think it kind of overlaps with Stufful in terms of design which would bug me a bit. Shieldon is one I'd like to use but it'd probably be a pain since it has plenty of weaknesses and is slow, which I don't need more of.

Although when do you get access to the Island Scan and which Pokemon are included? Maybe I'll use one of them if they catch my interest and I can find a way to get one in-game.

Crobat has been an ol' reliable partner for many journeys through many regions.

Best early game bird every gen except VI. Evolves super early and hurts with Acrobatics. Plus Confuse Ray cheese. The Leech Life buff will be awesome. And it's fast. You'd be hard pressed to find a third stage Pokemon you can get at level 23 with the same BST and useful movepool of Crobat.

UberTag

One additional fun quirk about the SOS rescue system is that you can wind up with pokemon you shouldn't normally be able to get.

I've already mentioned about Eevee calling for help from Espeon and Umbreon. But how would you like a Level 9-12 Salamence that will obey you because it's so low-leveled before leaving Melemele Island?

That can be done. Bagon will potentially call one for help on Route 3 and Kala'e Bay. Who wants to have to level up to 50 to land one of those things anyhow? That's too much work.

Of course, that's a 1% shot. But if you want a Level 15 Slowbro LONG before Level 37. That's available. Want a Level 10 Gyarados as soon as you land a fishing rod? That's on the menu. So is Whiscash and Seaking. In fact, almost all of the fish will call their evolutions for help. So if you want to skip the small fry and land the big daddy without having to grind for levels, happiness or burn elemental stones... well, now you can.

Crobat has been an ol' reliable partner for many journeys through many regions.

Best early game bird every gen except VI. Evolves super early and hurts with Acrobatics. Plus Confuse Ray cheese. The Leech Life buff will be awesome. And it's fast. You'd be hard pressed to find a third stage Pokemon you can get at level 23 with the same BST and useful movepool of Crobat.
Salamence begs to differ. In fact, so do a lot of things now. Especially since Zubat has to wait until Level 31 (or Level 35 if it's already evolved to Golbat/Crobat) for that buffed Leech Life.

Vic_Viper

Is there a list yet that I can check out and see which version has which Pokémon? And how do I go about transferring a Charmander to this game via Pokebank? Was it the red/blue/yellow that were able to transfer to this game?

Razmos

One additional fun quirk about the SOS rescue system is that you can wind up with pokemon you shouldn't normally be able to get.

I've already mentioned about Eevee calling for help from Espeon and Umbreon. But how would you like a Level 9-12 Salamence that will obey you because it's so low-leveled before leaving Melemele Island?

That can be done. Bagon will potentially call one for help on Route 3 and Kala'e Bay. Who wants to have to level up to 50 to land one of those things anyhow? That's too much work.

Of course, that's a 1% shot. But if you want a Level 15 Slowbro LONG before Level 37. That's available. Want a Level 10 Gyarados as soon as you land a fishing rod? That's on the menu. So is Whiscash and Seaking. In fact, almost all of the fish will call their evolutions for help. So if you want to skip the small fry and land the big daddy without having to grind for levels, happiness or burn elemental stones... well, now you can.

Salamence begs to differ. In fact, so do a lot of things now.
Lol that's amazing

Puruzi

Banned

Wow.

Salamence begs to differ. In fact, so do a lot of things now. Especially since Zubat has to wait until Level 31 (or Level 35 if it's already evolved to Golbat/Crobat) for that buffed Leech Life.
That's pretty cool.

Dewpider is looking downright ridiculous. What on earth were they thinking? It can pretty much 2HKO everything in the game.

I was going to use Wimpod, but its ability is annoying and never goes away. Dewpider, meanwhile, has a broken ability.

Top Bottom