• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Spoilers] Resident Evil 7 Demo: "There's More, Right?" Edition

Moofers

**Pure Gold**

Great work, man! Your writeup has really helped confirm a lot of things I have thought about and it puts the demo into perspective.

SneakersSO said:
My current theory is that watching the video tape multiple occasions is part of the solution. Not back to back, mind you, just in different contexts or situations. I'm gonna give it a try this weekend & see what I can come up with.
Yes, I'm with you on this. I feel like there must be something that changes in the VHS tape upon further viewings. Not sure what though.

Also, this is pretty off-the-wall stuff, but has anyone tried deleting/uninstalling the demo and all save data, then downloading and installing again and seeing if you can pull the fireplace lever right off the bat without viewing the tape? I am curious to know if the game saves the fact that you've watched the tape once and then from there on, assumes you know about the fireplace lever right away. If you've started a new game where your PS4 thinks its the first time ever, can you still pull that lever without seeing the tape?

Flo_Evans

Futaba needs to be a game tester. But is probably way over-qualified to be a game tester :p

I do find it interesting you can "lose" by not even watching the tape, if you just explore the starting area on your own you can find the fuse and open the stairs and get the phone call.

I really can't find any way to progress the VHS tape beyond going down the stairs and finding andre. There has to be something with the audio in that sequence that everyone is missing.

ZAMtendo

Obliterating everything that's not your friend
I'm loving the dedication this demo is being given, this is awesome.

I'd like to point out some things I haven't seen others mention regarding the effect of watching the VHS:

After watching the VHS:

- the chairs in the kitchen are toppled over (this is noticed directly after you hear the 'crash' in the kitchen when following the scary dude you see walk past the living room doorway.) Therefore I assume the crash is to signify that this is where the dude died.

- There is a key left near the cellar entrance (maybe this is by the dude who is waiting at the top of the ladder

-There is a jar of (brain?) in the fridge. I don't see this present before hand. I've tried interacting with it but nothing.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
My only theory left:

"You have the power to choose. But the outcome of that choice may not be what you expect."

"Memories hold the truth. Don't let appearances mislead you."

"You will have to say goodbye eventually. But will you be ready?"

The 1st message refers to using phone or back door, both fail states.

2nd is about getting axe.

3rd is about quitting at a certain point in the game, but you need to be at the right place or time, with the right stuff.

I've tried quitting while trying the phone.. but I never quit at the cellar entrance hole. But I think maybe using the quit option might be key.

The phone messages really are the only concrete clues we have.. they have to mean something. All the other stuff is just trying to brute force a new game state without anything to to back it up.

I think the scissors in the finger drawer could represent a 6, but there's also a bloody 5 in there too so...not sure. I believe Dusk Golem spotted what looked like a 6 in some cobwebs, there was a picture posted earlier in the thread.

And, uh, 6 candles above the fireplace, but that probably doesn't mean anything...

Hmm... I think we need to specifically look for the number 6. All of the other ones fit the pattern of having a number specifically, so I would probably rule out the candlesticks. I think the drawer is referring to a 5. Is the 6 in the cobwebs near some thing you can interact with?

The dummies hold the proof that staring into something and then doing a 360 might change what's in front of you, I wonder if that can be applied to some other thing we're missing.

woah hold on a second....the mannequin change their orientation when you come back from the attic. Do the dolls in the room under the stairs change orientation as well after certain things have been done (sighting the ghost, watching the tape)?

Anung

Un Rama
I tried blasting moonlight sonata through my mic and walking around and nothing happened D: Well that's my contributions tapped out.

Which interactive points of the demo are unnumbered as of now?

The lockpick/axe. The backyard key. The phone. I'm not sure about the phone. I looked and don't really see a number on it.

I feel like there has to be some thing you can interact with that has the number 6 on or near it. If we can find that, we can test the theory. I have all of the other numbers.

Intel_89

woah hold on a second....the mannequin change their orientation when you come back from the attic. Do the dolls in the room under the stairs change orientation as well after certain things have been done (sighting the ghost, watching the tape)?

From what it's been spotted several times there are two places where the dummies change:

- in the first floor, look at the dummies turned against the wall, spin and look at them again and they'll be facing you.

- Near the button that drops the set of stairs after you place the fuse, before you press it if you spin in place facing the stairs a dummy will appear out of nowhere

Adding to the three there plus one on the top floor and another on the ground floor (after you get the backdoor key) makes for the six dummies everyone talks about.

EDIT: 100 pages, wow.

i thought someone said the lockpick had a 3 and the axe a 4

I don't really know about those. I looked all over the lockpick and axe and couldn't find the numbers. It REALLY felt like a stretch with those.

I mean... the numbers thing might be a stretch period, but those really felt like one.

- There is a key left near the cellar entrance (maybe this is by the dude who is waiting at the top of the ladder
This raises an interesting question. We know the key isn't there before we watch the VHS, and is only present after we have completely finished the VHS. I've always held onto the idea that the key to progression isn't in present-time, but rather in the past during the VHS. I espeically believe that after Nakanishi said we have the power to change the fate of the person recording the VHS. If having Pete at the top of the cellar entrance makes a key appear, maybe there's other ways we can end the tape to make something else appear?

I just can't figure out for the life of me what we haven't tried yet.

Moofers

This raises an interesting question. We know the key isn't there before we watch the VHS, and is only present after we have completely finished the VHS. I've always held onto the idea that the key to progression isn't in present-time, but rather in the past during the VHS. I espeically believe that after Nakanishi said we have the power to change the fate of the person recording the VHS. If having Pete at the top of the cellar entrance makes a key appear, maybe there's other ways we can end the tape to make something else appear?

I just can't figure out for the life of me what we haven't tried yet.

What's this? I haven't heard about this year and a quick search doesn't find anything...

consoul

Do the dolls in the room under the stairs change orientation as well after certain things have been done (sighting the ghost, watching the tape)?
No, but the 7 dolls do seem to relate to the 7 ghost sightings as two of them are hanging upside down.

There's still no explanation for the VHS spindle that appears when pausing the very start of the tape. It doesn't appear anywhere else and it seems to match one of the two tiny icons beneath the tape in the inventory. It's not a glitch, it's clearly deliberate. But what is its significance?

Cth

ClKZ6V8XEAAjd6A.jpg

Hey look, seven words. ;)

/tinfoil hat

tmtyf

No, but the 7 dolls do seem to relate to the 7 ghost sightings as two of them are hanging upside down.

There's still no explanation for the VHS spindle that appears when pausing the very start of the tape. It doesn't appear anywhere else and it seems to match one of the two tiny icons beneath the tape in the inventory. It's not a glitch, it's clearly deliberate. But what is its significance?

have a pic? never noticed this

What's this? I haven't heard about this year and a quick search doesn't find anything...
http://www.play-asia.com/famitsu-in...-evil-7-is-about-65-percent-complete/5f/747wj

but now that I read the question that went along with that answer, he probably wasn't specifically talking about Clancy. Still, I think the VHS holds more than we've discovered.

I believe Dusk Golem spotted what looked like a 6 in some cobwebs, there was a picture posted earlier in the thread.
Yeah, here was his post:
But speaking of that, I have been observing a light on the second floor, when you look at it, your screen gets darker, and there's a specific spot on the staircase it almost goes IMMEDIATELY dark when you look at it through some spiderwebs. And they look like they form the number '609'

e3f67b1a398c8e8a4f89ca00d9dafc2b.png

I don't know if it has any purpose, but thought I'd mention.

Moofers

http://www.play-asia.com/famitsu-in...-evil-7-is-about-65-percent-complete/5f/747wj

but now that I read the question that went along with that answer, he probably wasn't specifically talking about Clancy. Still, I think the VHS holds more than we've discovered.

Yeah, I didn't take that at all the way you suggested it. What I DID get out of that interview is that he says there are no battles in the demo. I guess that shoots down the theory that we'd fight Family Man in the secret room we just discovered.

tmtyf

I've never seen them move or change position.

I ask because i saw this on reddit just now:

"Also, has anyone put a lot of thought into the voodoo dolls hanging under the stairs? They seem to spawn randomly, which seems unusual if you think about it "

i had read they were always there so did not know what he was talking about. I do have a theory about the dolls though, is there a picture anywhere on the webs showing them?

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
With the exception (so far) being the finger and the axe, do all the remaining items we find in the demo and put in our inventory have an actual purpose? (ie...fuse goes in fuse box, etc...)

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
With the exception (so far) being the finger and the axe, do all the remaining items we find in the demo and put in our inventory have an actual purpose? (ie...fuse goes in fuse box, etc...)

Lockpick unlocks drawer in VHS, Fuse in fusebox, boltcutters cut chain, VHS into VCR.

The Axe does actually do something, it chops some boxes and 3 of the mannequins.

The finger has zero use so far.

Kinsei

Banned

Yep.

Fuse goes into the fuse box
Bolt cutters open the cabinet to get the tape (but suspiciously stay in your inventory)
Video Tape goes into the VCR
Lockpick goes into the locked drawer
Back door key goes into the back door

The finger and axe are the odd ones out.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Yep.

Fuse goes into the fuse box
Bolt cutters open the cabinet to get the tape (but suspiciously stay in your inventory)
Video Tape goes into the VCR
Lockpick goes into the locked drawer
Back door key goes into the back door

The finger and axe are the odd ones out.

Ok, thats what i thought. So either Capcom was being massive trolls by putting in two items with no purpose, or they must have some sort of purpose we just havent found. I know weve beaten our brains to death over this lol, but it just doesnt seem logical to have every other item have a purpose and these two dont. Hell the finger is right there in plain view in that drawer right when you first walk out of the first room!!!

My guess is that were REALLY overthinking this, or that the answer lies somewhere in vhs world.

This. Start the VHS. Pause on the black screen as soon as the tracking noise goes away (before Pete says Boo!). Wait 30 seconds. This icon appears, spinning, in the bottom right of the screen. This doesn't happen anywhere else (afaik). What does it mean?

Is that not the save icon or something

I know this is certainly frustrating to a degree but i'm still having so much fun with this, and have honestly got more hours of entertainment then most full priced games can offer.

Top Bottom