• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[SPOILERS] Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Thread #2) - One Thumb Up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Korey

I'm pretty sure he actually doesn't and this is just going to turn into a line that people believe is in the movie but really isn't, like "Luke, I am your father". I was waiting for it the whole time on my second watch through and as far as I can tell, people are conflating two different lines:

"Because of your guidance, I will not be seduced."
and
"I feel the call to the light!"

The concept is there, but I didn't notice any one actual line where he said that he's being "seduced by the light".

Maybe, but a lot of us remember this exact phrase. "I'm being seduced to the light side." I believe he said it to Vader's helmet or something, not sure. I've only watched it once.

And it doesn't even make sense that he idolizes Vader...who did exactly that...became good in the end. Shouldn't he scoff at Vader then? So weird.

Also, nobody's answered who the random old guy was with the map fragment at the beginning.

Brakke

Banned
In the novelization, Kylo and Snoke discuss something to the effect of "don't have a moment of weakness like Vader did".

Someone brought it up yesterday when discussing things the movie could have explained/told better.

It does bring up the question of how did Snoke know. Wrinkles was dead, Vader was extra well done at that point, the only person who knew of Anakin's turn who left that throne room was Luke. Who did he tell and how did it get to Snooki?

Why would it be a secret? Maybe Kylo himself had the story from Leia or even Luke and he told Snoke? I don't know how the book frames that. Does Snoke reveal the moment of weakness to Kylo or does he reference it as something they both know?

Saw it tonight, really absorbing at times...the only immediate negatives were the rehashing of previous themes (father/son, star destroyers) and the inclusion of the old favourites.

Han Solo looked drunk throughout and the historical Princess Leigh emotional heartstrings thing just seemed so vapid and forced.

The rest of the casting was excellent. Kylo was a revelation, a true successor to Lord Vader.

And hated the ending.

I don't think you'll get much Star Wars without Star Destroyers. They were only not in episode 1.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
wait, who knows about it?

Rey doesn't. The audience doesn't. BB8 doesn't. Kylo Ren / Han / Leia don't seem to.

Not even Maz Kanata makes it seem like she does know more than what Rey's eyes tell her.

Luke might, and he'll tell us ... in 2017.

The thing is it was poorly presented, because we assume Rey might know who her family is, we don't know that she doesn't. Maz is even hazy about it, she doesn't say "your parents won't come back". So what is confusing for the audience is we don't know what Rey knows or not. She never says "I never knew who my parents were, but I've been told they would come back.", nothing like that, it's just "she's waiting for her family, why? Who?". Rey never clears that up at all, no one else either.

What is up with everyone wanting so many explanations. Some of you sound like people that whine about the Souls games not holding your hands.

They told us enough to make a solid enjoyable film. It's good that they didn't hit you over the head with why every little plot point was happening. That would have been super lame. R2 waking up felt right to me and it engaged my imagination. And it was absolutely not just some random convenient shit - there were subtle hints dropped in the film regarding this.
Because it makes the movie not make sense and if it doesn't make sense it's hard to care about what's going on.

giga

1amqwWa.jpg

JTripper

I'm pretty sure he actually doesn't and this is just going to turn into a line that people believe is in the movie but really isn't, like "Luke, I am your father". I was waiting for it the whole time on my second watch through and as far as I can tell, people are conflating two different lines:

and

The concept is there, but I didn't notice any one actual line where he said that he's being "seduced by the light".

I think the only person that said 'seduced' was Leia when she says something like "Our son was seduced by Snoke"

wait, who knows about it?

Rey doesn't. The audience doesn't. BB8 doesn't. Kylo Ren / Han / Leia don't seem to.

Not even Maz Kanata makes it seem like she does know more than what Rey's eyes tell her.

Luke might, and he'll tell us ... in 2017.

But then why does the movie deliberately cut away when maz asks han who she is? why does leia goes to her and not chewbacca when they come back from the base? Why is she tearing up like that when she finally sees luke? this is what playing coy is all about.

takriel

and

1+1 = ?

Because he's a dumbass:

In the novelization, Kylo and Snoke discuss something to the effect of "don't have a moment of weakness like Vader did".

Someone brought it up yesterday when discussing things the movie could have explained/told better.

It does bring up the question of how did Snoke know. Wrinkles was dead, Vader was extra well done at that point, the only person who knew of Anakin's turn who left that throne room was Luke. Who did he tell and how did it get to Snooki?

He knows. That's what the seduction of the Light thing is about. Vader is a great role model for bringing power and order to the galaxy but he failed in his last moment. Ren sees Vader's turn as succumbing a weakness he doesn't want to allow himself. "I will finish what you started" or whatever. Ren wants to get to where Vader was and then succeed where his grandfather failed.

No one seems to be asking why Anakin (who is capable of being a Force ghost) didn't just appear to Kylo himself and tell him what was up.

But the disappearance of the Force ghosts is probably a crucial plot point and will be explained in future movies.

Gotcha, thanks guys. I had no idea there was a novelization. Now I'm even more interested in learning how Ben turned and who the hell exactly is Snoke. Ben sounds like he wanted to be evil.

Good point about the Force ghosts as well.

Showed my wife that FB post and she goes, "Their face is a 5/7" lol. She's not even that big of a SW fan and only just recently saw the OT. She loved Rey though and gets very defensive if anyone bad mouths her.

Yes, the new canon is the original 6 movies + The Clone Wars animated series and film (the 3D ones, not the 2D microseries), plus anything released since spring 2014 unless otherwise specified as "Legends" or non-canonical, like the Fantasy Flight Games RPG stuff.
Midichlorians

Damn

My biggest gripe about Leia is that Carrie Fisher sounds like Patty and Selma Simpson now. Even grumbling ass Harrison Ford managed to at least sound like Han. Carrie looked like an older Leia but that was about it.

Hey, I wouldn't write it off. Have Rey go dark side and set up Episodes X - XII.

It's like poetry.
"Hey! So we have a female Jedi! Let's turn her to the dark side. That way, out of all the movies we've released, out of all the male characters we have, out of all the male Jedi we've featured prominently, our only major female Jedi turns out to be a shitty person!"

Fliesen

The thing is it was poorly presented, because we assume Rey might know who her family is, we don't know that she doesn't. Maz is even hazy about it, she doesn't say "your parents won't come back". So what is confusing for the audience is we don't know what Rey knows or not. She never says "I never knew who my parents were, but I've been told they would come back.", nothing like that, it's just "she's waiting for her family, why? Who?". Rey never clears that up at all, no one else either.

i think expecting to know everything a character knows is kinda not a good idea. Do you want expository dialogue left and right just so we get an accurate and complete picture of the knowledge of any given character?
There's always some stuff about a character that will be revealed when it's meaningful.

The fact that we don't know what she knows about her past but we know that she's unwilling to share, and it's clearly something that makes her angry if you poke around and tell her to let it go, is plenty of information.

We don't know about Rey's family because there was noone who talked to her about that issue besides Maz Kanata, and that was really bad timing because she had just had some really nightmarish vision.

Why would it be a secret? Maybe Kylo himself had the story from Leia or even Luke and he told Snoke? I don't know how the book frames that. Does Snoke reveal the moment of weakness to Kylo or does he reference it as something they both know?

I found the passage itself

The way this is presented, it makes it seem like shared knowledge and not Snoke dropping a massive truth bomb on Kylo.

Boke1879

Maybe, but a lot of us remember this exact phrase. "I'm being seduced to the light side." I believe he said it to Vader's helmet or something, not sure. I've only watched it once.

And it doesn't even make sense that he idolizes Vader...who did exactly that...became good in the end. Shouldn't he scoff at Vader then? So weird.

Also, nobody's answered who the random old guy was with the map fragment at the beginning.

Lor San Tekka. In the opening crawl he's described as an ally.

I have the visual dictionary that goes into him a bit.

Not Force sensitive, but he has witness its power firsthand. During Palpatines rule he was a follower of the Church of the Force. An underground faith was made up of loosely affiliated worshipers of the Jedi ideals, who believe their light would one day return to the galaxy.

Yes, the new canon is the original 6 movies + The Clone Wars animated series and film (the 3D ones, not the 2D microseries), plus anything released since spring 2014 unless otherwise specified as "Legends" or non-canonical, like the Fantasy Flight Games RPG stuff.

And like The Old Republic MMO.

Makoto

Seeing as Leia didn't seem to be seeing the same 3 ghosts Luke was seeing at the end of RotJ, who knows if you can even talk to someone you never knew.
(If she had seen the 3 ghosts, she sure as hell wouldn't have gone all 'hey Luke, have a beer with us, you can talk TO YOUR FATHER AND YOUR TWO MENTORS LATER')

i don't think a "force ghosts" can just visit anyone. There needs to be a strong personal bond between the 2.
This is a very interesting and noteworthy point. I'm of the belief that if Rey was ever exposed to Obiwan, it had to be through his Force ghost and now knowing the above, I wonder if Obiwan was speaking to Luke only when mentioning her name.

Eidan

What is up with everyone wanting so many explanations. Some of you sound like people that whine about the Souls games not holding your hands.

They told us enough to make a solid enjoyable film. It's good that they didn't hit you over the head with why every little plot point was happening. That would have been super lame. R2 waking up felt right to me and it engaged my imagination. And it was absolutely not just some random convenient shit - there were subtle hints dropped in the film regarding this.
It makes me chuckle when I hear people complain about films having too much exposition.

Not Force sensitive, but he has witness its power firsthand. During Palpatines rule he was a follower of the Church of the Force. An underground faith was made up of loosely affiliated worshipers of the Jedi ideals, who believe their light would one day return to the galaxy.

So basically, Jediism, but reinserted back into Star Wars? That's great.

Brakke

Banned
I found the passage itself

The way this is presented, it makes it seem like shared knowledge and not Snoke dropping a massive truth bomb on Kylo.

Man this passage alone really helps set up Kylo. I really don't want to read this book but I'm probably going to since so much about the movie frustrates me.

The movie does...

Barely. He had a school, Kylo betrayed him, he went into exile. Did Kylo killed the other students? Did he recruit them? Why did Luke flee and not fight Kylo / them? Was Luke afraid of Kylo / other students or overcome with shame for having failed him / them?

We don't know about Rey's family because there was noone who talked to her about that issue besides Maz Kanata, and that was really bad timing because she had just had some really nightmarish vision.

Speaking of Maz, she did tell Finn, "You already have a weapon", alluding to the lightsaber. Either this was bad writing or she has the ability to detect Force sensitivity in people. Because why else would she tell some guy to use a melee weapon he's never used before when there's stormtroopers with blasters attacking? She must see potential in Finn. And Rey, since she told her "the lightsaber called to you" and told her to take it. Maz sure wanted to get rid of that thing.

Fliesen

Man this passage alone really helps set up Kylo. I really don't want to read this book but I'm probably going to since so much about the movie frustrates me.

Barely. He had a school, Kylo betrayed him, he went into exile. Did Kylo killed the other students? Did he recruit them? Why did Luke flee and not fight Kylo / them? Was Luke afraid of Kylo / other students or overcome with shame for having failed him / them?
well, we were told the superficial 'official' story that Han knew. I'm sure Luke is going to add more detail to the story in the movie he actually has dialogue in.

Han doesn't know more either. "After
our son
a boy, a student of his, turned to the dark side, Luke disappeared"

"disappeared" - as in "he didn't leave a note" ;)

So how big is the First Order? Do they have some sort of government or are they just a military outfit?
All these questions the film leaves make the story very messy. Like what does destroying Starkiller base actually do to The First Order? Was that their main base?
I feel like in A New Hope it was made clear that the deathstar was a huge deal and massive failure when the rebels blew it up.

Eidan

Are you upset that the film didn't address this litany of questions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom