• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2011 Anime Thread PART TWO return of sex hair, ghosts, and ZAWA

Status
Not open for further replies.

7Th

Hitokage said:
Completely wrong. When you see a show that is about a loser who has a harem of underaged girls, you can conclude with a 95% confidence level that it's going to suck.

What if it was a show about a loser with a harem of underage girls written and directed by Mamoru Oshii?
Oh, wait, that would probably suck; switch Oshii for Maasaki Yuasa.

tiff

Banned
Articalys said:
Is it bad if I don't feel the hype over who the staff/studio is for the majority of the upcoming series? Usually a synopsis plus impressions of the first few episodes is enough to guide my viewing patterns.
I don't pay attention to it at all.

scy

This thread reminds me that I'm like ... four seasons behind on my viewing schedule. Goddamn, so much to catch up on ... =/

mr jones

Ethnicity is not a race!
So, Black Lagoon and X-Men. Are either of these good? I actually liked the previous Black Lagoon, and X-Men is X-Men...

Steroyd said:
He said "Good" not "woefully awesome"

"Woefully fuck awesome" might be the best description ever of HnA. That shit is so real that Reggie wonders what the hell is up.

Oh, I think this season I'm over 200 posts, that's pretty shameful. I remember once being in the top 5 durinng the Summer of K-ON!!, that's the best I ever did in terms of the Wall of Shame.

trejo

Izayoi said:
Guys, Aria is a piece of shit. Don't try to legitimately fool someone into thinking otherwise.
No one's trying to fool anyone. Hidan no Aria is one of the most consistently entertaining shows this season. That is no lie.

Trojita said:
How do you guys have so many posts in these threads?
Cause we're insane awesome.

Articalys

Miri said:
Whoa, new thread. Weeeeirrrrdd. I almost feel naked, looking at the page count.
It took me longer than usual to find it because it was missing the crazy Chaos;Head equation from the last thread's title.
Would the title have been too many characters with that included?

Izayoi

Banned
trejo said:
No one's trying to fool anyone. Hidan no Aria is one of the most consistently entertaining shows this season. That is no lie.
Right, but something can be shitty and entertaining at the same time.

Saying it's "good," however, is a bald-faced lie.

Izayoi said:
Guys, Aria is a piece of shit. Don't try to legitimately fool someone into thinking otherwise.

We agree on a lot of things but you couldn't be more wrong here.

Izayoi said:
Right, but something can be shitty and entertaining at the same time.

Saying it's "good," however, is a bold-faced lie.

I'm sure you meant 'bald-faced', but nobody said anything about good or bad when talking about HnA, only that it's fuck awesome.

Dali

trejo said:

Cause we're insane awesome.
I dunno dude. I just started watching Steins Gate earlier today and I think I've anywhere from a huge grin on my face to literally laughing out loud at least once per episode.

trejo

Dali said:
I dunno dude. I just started watching Steins Gate earlier today and I think I've anywhere from a huge grin on my face to literally laughing out loud at least once per episode.
I did say one of, after all.

Lotte's Toys 9

Japan once again proving you can add melodrama to anything. Because we all know the line "I wonder if this is how the princess feels, having everyone tell her she needs to suck off guys." deserves super sad music accompanying it.

The World God Only Knows II - 1:

Well, here we go again. Another season, another set of real girls that Keima has to capture like his 2D waifus. You know, if you consider the many captures he's made in his dating sims, you can really think of Keima as the anime character with the biggest harem in anime history! Uh, that's about it really. Onwards!

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Trojita said:
How do you guys have so many posts in these threads?
Posting a lot.

I think I have something like 3,000 something in the manga threads alone.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Hitokage said:
Completely wrong. When you see a show that is about a loser who has a harem of underaged girls, you can conclude with a 95% confidence level that it's going to suck.

When did you become such an optimist?

Izayoi

Banned
Unknown Soldier said:
I'm sure you meant 'bald-faced', but nobody said anything about good or bad when talking about HnA, only that it's fuck awesome.
Give me a break, I was in the middle of a final exam. ;_;

Cipherr

Thats a lot of freaking shows, are any of them translated/subtitled and really good and worth a watch and most importantly purchasable/netflix so I can check them out?

Izayoi said:
Give me a break, I was in the middle of a final exam. ;_;

[Keima]Let me tell you something useful. It's a good idea to focus entirely on the task at hand, and block out all interference! In other words, why were you working on a final exam while posting on GAF?!?![/Keima]

TWGOKII - 2:

As usual, Keima takes charge of a bunch of shit and gets it done. If this guy were interested in real girls instead of virtual ones, he would have bedded half the town by now. Which is the joke, obviously. Oh look, a new demon! Yay!

flawfuls

Cipherr said:
Thats a lot of freaking shows, are any of them translated/subtitled and really good and worth a watch and most importantly purchasable/netflix so I can check them out?

Many of the shows are streamed for free on either crunchyroll.com or Hulu. Which ones are are listed in the OP.

I would say the two best shows that are being streamed are Tiger and Bunny and Hanasaku Iroha, but there are plenty of decent shows. Just look at the OP and try what interests you.

I know we're already 3/4 of the way through it's second (and presumably final ;_;) season, but shouldn't Keima upgrade to the PFVita soon?

And yeah, I do like the 2nd OP more than the first. Both are very good, though.

Dog Days 10

Things got bad, then they got good, then they got bad again. Episode was non-stop action and tension just the way I like. Still gotta address that prophecy since nothing shown up so far has even resembled it.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Wow, you guys are insane. I can't believe you hit part two...

Anyhoo, tl;dl blog post time of shows I watched in no particular order:

AnoHana 8 - A few manly tears were shed at the overly manipulative ending. They kept pushing the reveal for, well, 7 weeks in order to reach that point and I think it paid off. It's interesting because on The Killing, they used a similar tactic of delay and misdirection and I found that rather underwhelming. Maybe I believed in the hallucination theory more than I should have and maybe they did a good job of actually making that a believable option. noitaminA is saved anyway!

HanaIro 10 - Another Genki Girl action show with yet another weird parallel to Aria in terms of the dream world thingie. Homage or just random coincidence? Who knows. I'm just tired of the constant pushing of the shipping wars when it's pretty clear that KoHana is the canon pairing and that ToHana is fangirl/boy fantasy misdirection! I mean, they've gone out of their way to avoid misunderstanding angst, so I don't understand why they keep trying to push this love square.

Derpa 10 - A nice little pseudo recap/clip show. Meme is the best character this season, if only because gap moe is God moe. Clearly Aunt-cest is the best option for our main character.

A-Channel and Softenni - mostly zzzzz. I still find the horny/pervert girl trope used in Softenni amusing, although I'm aware that here it's mostly panderbait and not some kind of feminist statement.

Nichijou - Hakase and Yoko are still charming characters! AnimeGAF is wrong! :lol

TWGOK - Teacher conquest. Finally... where are the animes where dude hooks up with a teacher? Although, they went with a new teacher character for some reason. Also, it looks like the episode from two weeks ago or whenever was probably the highlight of the series.

Gamu 8 - I guess this is what Jexhius felt when watching KnT? Except that this show really has nothing interesting to say on any level. Is it about rigidity? Privilege? Class? Not really. Instead, it's just people talking for 10 hours spouting babble about kings and honor and other bullshit while pretending to be in Medieval England. If the show was supposed to sell the books, for me, it was a complete failure. Ah well, as the saying goes: nothing venture, nothing win.

K-On!!!: New Orleans 7 - I'll be the first to admit it's not The Wire, but this animu is probably the winner of the HBO block. The characters are so rich and the music is great. A bonus, maybe, is that there's also less preaching/proselytizing.

ANNCast with William Flanagan - So, how do you listen to a show when you kind of hate the hosts? Wait for an interesting guest I suppose. Highlights: Freelance translators are making no money now and manga publishers want to utilize the low-cost solutions found in simulcast anime subs.

Also, the hosts tried to troll weaboos who like honorifics... only to have it turn around on them when Flanagan said he didn't mind including honorifics and speech ticks, since it's the weaboos who will buy this shit anyway.

America's Greatest Otaku 8 - And speaking of manga and failure, I decided to watch the last episode of this series because they did a Japan segment. A lot of the same old shit (Butler Cafe, Maid Cafe with moe moe kyun, etc), but the Harajuku segment was kind of interesting. Gothloli Punk as a fashion movement still seems odd to me because it doesn't feel like it represents anything other than pure aesthetic... which is really just a form of masturbation. But at least the clothes look nice.

Yay, I've caught up!

Lain

Lafiel said:
Seriously people, staff lists makes anime the easiest medium to find quality every season!
Wasn't Star Driver supposed to be quality based on the staff list?

zeroshiki

firehawk12 said:
Wow, you guys are insane. I can't believe you hit part two...

Hitokage said:
Top 20:
Jexhius 1,342
firehawk12 1,176
trejo 856
Dresden 841
InfiniteNine 797
zeroshiki 760
jman2050 708
cosmicblizzard 628
Branduil 593
Geneijin 589
Uchip 568
Lafiel 502
icarus-daedelus 478
Halycon 460
doomed1 435
Infinite Justice 426
duckroll 425
Steroyd 421
Hellsing321 350
tiff 334

*cough*cough*

Hitokage said:
Top 20:
Jexhius 1,342
firehawk12 1,176
trejo 856
Dresden 841
InfiniteNine 797
zeroshiki 760
jman2050 708
cosmicblizzard 628
Branduil 593
Geneijin 589
Uchip 568
Lafiel 502
icarus-daedelus 478
Halycon 460
doomed1 435
Infinite Justice 426
duckroll 425
Steroyd 421
Hellsing321 350
tiff 334
How did I make this thing? :( I thought I was laying pretty low lately.

Steroyd

Lain said:
Wasn't Star Driver supposed to be quality based on the staff list?

When Gaf sees BONES, we look away in disgust.

When Duckroll sees BONES his eyes are filled with hope, it's painful to watch him at times. T_T

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
cosmicblizzard said:
Lotte's Toys 9

Japan once again proving you can add melodrama to anything. Because we all know the line "I wonder if this is how the princess feels, having everyone tell her she needs to suck off guys." deserves super sad music accompanying it.
The kind of issues everyone can relate to.

Dresden

Steroyd said:
When Gaf sees BONES, we look away in disgust.

When Duckroll sees BONES his eyes are filled with hope, it's painful to watch him at times. T_T
Y'all gonna eat your words when the new FMA movie kicks ass!

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Dresden said:
Y'all gonna eat your words when the new FMA movie kicks ass!
The Full Metal story so important they forgot to include it in the original run. And then again during the run after that based on the manga.

I still really want to watch it.

duckroll

The rumors of BONES' Fall noitaminA show grow stronger by the day. Here's what's rumored so far:

- Fall noitaminA
- Directed by Seiji Mizushima, written by Shou Aikawa, animated by BONES.
- Based on Ango Sakaguchi's "Ango Detective Stories" short stories collection.
- The original was a Meiji-era period detective story setting, but rumors say the BONES adaptation moves the setting to a futuristic setting ala Gankutsuou.
- http://www.un-go.com/ is registered by Toho, and has been rumored to be the show's official site.

Articalys

So if my research is right, that would reunite the director-writer-studio team from the first FMA anime, correct?

I will learn this stuff bit by bit!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom