• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2011 Anime Thread PART TWO return of sex hair, ghosts, and ZAWA

Status
Not open for further replies.

duckroll

I've translated the character profiles for Guilty Crown:

Shu Ouma - 17 years old. The main character. His right hand holds a special ability - The King's Power. He is able to extract something known as "Void" from his allies. "Void" is a physical manifestation of a person's personality, and can take the form of a sword, or a musical instrument, or a camera. To apply this ability in combat, he has no choice but to make friends.

Gai Tsutsugami - 17 years old. Young leader of the "Undertakers" gureilla organization. He has great charisma and physical strength, and pilots the Jeet Kune Do.

Inori Yuzuriha - 16 years old. She is the voice of the internet artist Egoist. She is also a member of the "Undertakers".

Tsugumi - 14 years old. She's an excellent hacker who serves as the operator for the "Undertakers".

Ayase Shinomiya - 17 years old. A wheelchair-bound girl who pilots End Rave for the "Undertakers".

Looks like it is a mecha (sorta?) show after all. The rebel forces using mechs as a team, and the main character having a special power which forces an anti-social bastard to make friends and gain allies so he can draw weapons and equipment out from their personalities... yeaaaaaah. Death Geass? Lol.

Please be fabulous! Don't let me down, Production I.G.!

I guessed it would involve mechas from the earlier description you linked to. It looks like Persona + Code Geass, and it involves the POWER OF KINGS. Too bad Clamp are busy with other projects, they should have been creating character designs for this!

Articalys

duckroll said:
I've translated the character profiles for Guilty Crown:

Shu Ouma - 17 years old. The main character. His right hand holds a special ability - The King's Power. He is able to extract something known as "Void" from his allies. "Void" is a physical manifestation of a person's personality, and can take the form of a sword, or a musical instrument, or a camera. To apply this ability in combat, he has no choice but to make friends.

Gai Tsutsugami - 17 years old. Young leader of the "Undertakers" gureilla organization. He has great charisma and physical strength, and pilots the Jeet Kune Do.

Inori Yuzuriha - 16 years old. She is the voice of the internet artist Egoist. She is also a member of the "Undertakers".

Tsugumi - 14 years old. She's an excellent hacker who serves as the operator for the "Undertakers".

Ayase Shinomiya - 17 years old. A wheelchair-bound girl who pilots End Rave for the "Undertakers".

Looks like it is a mecha (sorta?) show after all. The rebel forces using mechs as a team, and the main character having a special power which forces an anti-social bastard to make friends and gain allies so he can draw weapons and equipment out from their personalities... yeaaaaaah. Death Geass? Lol.
Plot summary sez:
The story takes place in Tokyo in 2039. After the outbreak of the unidentified virus "Lost Christmas" in 2029, Japan has been under the control of a multi-nation organization called GHQ. Ohma Shu is a 17 year old boy who has a psychic power in his right hand. He can use the power "Ability of King" to extract tools or weapons from his friends. He has been avoiding making trouble for others but his life changes when he meets a girl Yuzuriha Inori, a member of a resistance guerrilla group called "Undertaker".
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=300032&show=0

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
duckroll said:
The rumors of BONES' Fall noitaminA show grow stronger by the day. Here's what's rumored so far:
So two science-fiction themed noitamina shows this fall? this actually sounds kind of cool and the last time that same director + writer combo worked at BONES together we got FMA - which was a pretty good show, maybe this will be a pretty good show to?

Who am i kidding

Geneijin

Hello new thread.

Dog Days - 7
The perfect exercise for our princess of Biscotti is going out for a morning walk
like a dog.
Anyway, pathetic joke attempt aside, nothing really happens this episode except Leo declares war against Biscotti. Sounds like a bad type of war. Where's the fun? Her intentions behind this war sound terribly personal.

I suppose Leo being overly concerned about Millhi's safety after the last scene in Episode 6 is somewhat important too. Leo is a good onee-sama, amirite?

Now bring out the action.

duckroll

Lafiel said:
So two science-fiction themed noitamina shows this fall? this actually sounds kind of cool and the last time that same director + writer combo worked at BONES together we got FMA - which was a pretty good show, maybe this will be a pretty good show to?

Who am i kidding

Mizushima x Aikawa x BONES = FMA TV/FMA movie
Mizushima x Aikawa x Madhouse = Oh Edo Rocket

They should work well together. Unfortunately both have also worked on crap on their own (Mizushima on Gundam 00, Aikawa on Ayakashi Ayashi).

Geneijin

duckroll said:
...and the main character having a special power which forces an anti-social bastard to make friends and gain allies so he can draw weapons and equipment out from their personalities... yeaaaaaah. Death Geass? Lol.
Rie Kugimiya would be perfect for this. Nabari no Ou all over again please.
laughs

duckroll

Aaaaaaaaand this just popped up on 2ch:

UNCONFIRMED, but...

Meiji Kaika Ango Torimonochou

Original Work - BONES, Shou Aikawa
Director - Seiji Mizushima
Assistant Director - Ryuichi Kimura
Character Design/Overall Animation Director - Shigeo Akahori
Production - BONES

Articalys

Where the hell does all this stuff even come from? People at the studios who just can't wait to spill the beans on what they've been working on?

duckroll

Articalys said:
Where the hell does all this stuff even come from? People at the studios who just can't wait to spill the beans on what they've been working on?

This is the second week of the month. It's when anime magazines start to hit stores early before their street dates.

duckroll

If Ango Detective Stories is being treated as an original work (reimagination of classic material), then what we're looking at is:

Summer noitaminA = 2 adaptations from P-IG and BONES
Fall noitaminA = 2 original shows from P-IG and BONES

Pretty wild.

Izayoi

Banned
Unknown Soldier said:
[Keima]Let me tell you something useful. It's a good idea to focus entirely on the task at hand, and block out all interference! In other words, why were you working on a final exam while posting on GAF?!?![/Keima]
Because I'm unmotivated and easily distracted.

Pretty sure I passed with an A, but still.

Fucking school sucks, why did I choose to come back.

Have lots of anime to catch up on now.

duckroll

a7ZXD.gif

Where the hell did this come from?!

Edit: Oh, I see, it's from the source here: http://www.un-go.com/

Articalys

Anyway, it's not like every other programming block refused to carry that kind of subject material, so you're not going to miss out on that.
Unless they did. I wouldn't know, I didn't even know Noitamina existed until like five months ago.

zeroshiki

Articalys said:
Anyway, it's not like every other programming block refused to carry that kind of subject material, so you're not going to miss out on that.
Unless they did. I wouldn't know, I didn't even know Noitamina existed until like five months ago.

When it started it had the express purpose of doing non-standard stuff (I was gonna say niche but what the hell, all of anime is niche now). Losing noitamina would mean losing the 2 shows a season that is guaranteed to be semi-different. (Yes I know its sucked for a while but the objective is there ;_;)

zeroshiki said:
When it started it had the express purpose of doing non-standard stuff (I was gonna say niche but what the hell, all of anime is niche now). Losing noitamina would mean losing the 2 shows a season that is guaranteed to be semi-different. (Yes I know its sucked for a while but the objective is there ;_;)

Tell Japan to all watch it then. noitaminA didn't fail because it was too different, it failed because most of the shows were different and also sucked. The more different something is from the norm, the harder it is to be good you know. That's why Hollywood pumps out the same big-budget action movies year after year, because they know the formula for a good action movie and they can execute on it and expect a consistent audience year in and year out.

duckroll

Yeah I looked at the source code for the UN-GO placeholder site. I think we can say that it's pretty much confirmed.

Dresden

They should just cut out fantasy shows and just do one show a season. Well, maybe not all fantasy, but the last few haven't been impressive at all.

zeroshiki

Unknown Soldier said:
Tell Japan to all watch it then. noitaminA didn't fail because it was too different, it failed because most of the shows were different and also sucked. The more different something is from the norm, the harder it is to be good you know. That's why Hollywood pumps out the same big-budget action movies year after year, because they know the formula for a good action movie and they can execute on it and expect a consistent audience year in and year out.

Yeah but I don't want to watch big budget action movies all the time. I want character dramas and slice of life sometimes. noitaminA was an avenue for some of those to come out and I'm glad for it. It would suck if it went away.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
One weird thing I've noticed with noitamina is while they used to mostly feature characters in their college or adult years, some recent noitamina shows have featured very typical teen anime protagonists for example - [C] & Fractale and soon No.6 and Guilty Crown!

Nah sometimes we got shows that were both different and awesome - see mononoke, trapeze, tatami galaxy etc.

Articalys

duckroll said:
Yeah I looked at the source code for the UN-GO placeholder site. I think we can say that it's pretty much confirmed.
I was curious how that could prove anything from such a blank page. But lo and behold:
<meta name="keywords" content="UN-GO,UNGO,&#12450;&#12531;&#12468;,&#12450;&#12491;&#12513;,&#12494;&#12452;&#12479;&#12511;&#12490;,noitamina,&#20844;&#24335;,OFFICIAL">
<meta name="description" content="2011&#24180;10&#26376;&#12494;&#12452;&#12479;&#12511;&#12490;&#26528;&#12450;&#12491;&#12513;&#12300;UN-GO&#12301;&#20844;&#24335;&#12469;&#12452;&#12488;&#12290;">
<meta name="copyright" content="&#65288;C&#65289;&#12300;UN-GO&#12301;&#35069;&#20316;&#22996;&#21729;&#20250;">

Risette

A Good Citizen
Unknown Soldier said:
The fuck?

BluWacky

Unknown Soldier said:

Why are people saying Noitamina failed? Currently it's just behind Kaiji (which airs in NTV's unofficial Noitamina equivalent slot on Tuesday nights I believe) as the highest rated late night anime programme. Sure, the ratings dropped during Fractale/Hourou Musuko, but Fractale was a massive disappointment - the ratings for C/AnoHana are a full percentage point higher than that season was. Yes, audiences have dropped since Nodame Cantabile and Hakaba Kitarou, but they're still pretty damn good.

How many of the other Noitamina shows have you watched? Even the shows I didn't care for much I'd be hard pressed to say they sucked outright.

duckroll

BluWacky said:
Why are people saying Noitamina failed?

I think there are two groups of people here, and there's a misconception between the two which triggers dumb posts like that.

There are those who know what noitaminA actually is, and are actually aware of how well/poorly shows perform in Japan. Those in this group basically have a certain expectation for what a noitaminA show is - something targeted at the non-otaku audience, and often at female teens/young adults who don't watch anime regularly. For this group, it is pretty clear that of late noitaminA has been slipping from that appeal, and there is definitely a stronger otaku slant than ever. This has also resulted ironically in those shows on the slot performing far worse than normal. Hence if it continues on this direction, noitaminA will definitely be heading towards failure. Failure not just in popularity, but in brand strength, and in fulfilling the promise of what the slot exists for in the first place.

Then there is the other group. The group that doesn't really follow any actual industry/sales news. They don't know and don't care how well or badly shows do, but like to discuss it anyway to seem like they're in the know. This group notices the first group talking about noitaminA "failing" and just assumes that the time slot is probably selling horribly or getting horrific ratings all the time. They equate that with the shows all being bad because they probably have bad taste to begin with.

I'm not naming any names here, but I think that's how this is going! :D

Dali

Loving the character design for Guilty Crown.

Wheelchair chick and nekomimi girl. RRRrrrrrrrr

*Reads profile*

I don't care, dammit!

trejo

duckroll said:
I think there are two groups of people here, and there's a misconception between the two which triggers dumb posts like that.

There are those who know what noitaminA actually is, and are actually aware of how well/poorly shows perform in Japan. Those in this group basically have a certain expectation for what a noitaminA show is - something targeted at the non-otaku audience, and often at female teens/young adults who don't watch anime regularly. For this group, it is pretty clear that of late noitaminA has been slipping from that appeal, and there is definitely a stronger otaku slant than ever. This has also resulted ironically in those shows on the slot performing far worse than normal. Hence if it continues on this direction, noitaminA will definitely be heading towards failure. Failure not just in popularity, but in brand strength, and in fulfilling the promise of what the slot exists for in the first place.

Then there is the other group. The group that doesn't really follow any actual industry/sales news. They don't know and don't care how well or badly shows do, but like to discuss it anyway to seem like they're in the know. This group notices the first group talking about noitaminA "failing" and just assumes that the time slot is probably selling horribly or getting horrific ratings all the time. They equate that with the shows all being bad because they probably have bad taste to begin with.

I'm not naming any names here, but I think that's how this is going! :D
tl;dr: Trolls and those who fall for them.

Also, wheelchair girl does looks nice.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
zeroshiki said:
So you're saying that without that week break you'd have overtaken Jexhius?
Clearly. I was trying to avoid top spot!

Lafiel said:
The brand has truly being tainted.

I don't even care anymore if it goes bust.
I just want my somewhat classy slice of life shows to be made!

Articalys

Interested to see how the Guilty Crown character designs look in motion.
And I figured the gloom and doom talk was an exaggeration, but I honestly didn't know what exactly was supposed to make Noitamina so special.

--------------------------

In other news, the third season of Shakugan no Shana has been confirmed to be airing this fall.

Articalys

InfiniteNine said:
Well Shana 3 has been confirmed for a while! This Fall is new news! My body is ready.
I think they always intended to do it but nothing had been set in stone. Anyway, at least Rie Kugimiya will never have a shortage of work.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Articalys said:
I think they always intended to do it but nothing had been set in stone. Anyway, at least Rie Kugimiya will never have a shortage of work.
Well they put it on a magazine cover a while back and reconfirmed it a few times. It's just taken quite a while to actually come out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom