• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2014 Tokyo MX, er, Anime |OT1.5| ORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jex

[Hunter x Hunter] - 121

What is this shit.

I know we've previously covered how Knuckle's too weak for the task at hand but I guess they're really needed to drive it home, huh? Talk about aggravatingly bad decision making from characters who are supposed to be defending humanity

Mature

HELLO

I do like me a good animoo. Very kaway oogoo!

But in all seriousness, hello! Fresh meat for the grinder here. Decided to join after a tiny spot of casual forum stalking. It's been a good past few months, what you Northern Hemispherans call "Winter 2014", by which I mean that I am a VERY CASUAL CONSUMER and only recently got back into the anime scene about half a year ago, hence my point of reference.
Don't sell yourself short, you have some great series under your belt and some seminal films too. Having 200 series watched on MAL doesn't mean much if they're nothing of worth.

I noticed you liked Jin-Roh and Ghost in the Shell. Jin-Roh was written by Mamoru Oshii and Ghost in the Shell was directed by him. You should consider checking out either of the two Patlabor films whom Oshii directed. The TV Series and OVA Series are also worth checking out for that matter.

cajunator

Banned
[Hunter x Hunter] - 121

What is this shit.

I know we've previously covered how Knuckle's too weak for the task at hand but I guess they're really needed to drive it home, huh? Talk about aggravatingly bad decision making from characters who are supposed to be defending humanity

How did you get into watching this show of all things?

Why did no one tell me this?

1392169443551.gif

Not sure if you wanna know the truth .

Chaika the Coffin Princess 4

You can add another similarity to Scrapped Princess in this episode with
the lead getting a dragoon ally that he doesn't get along with terribly well at first but probably ends up working really well together later down the line
. Jesus the guy that wrote this really just wanted to write a moe version of Scrapped Princess.

As to the episode, the battle was pretty sweet if I do say so myself. They were fighting as good assassins and using
poison
to their advantage only solidified their standing as great leads. As to the incest side of things some folk here were against of
seems like they aren't blood related, but it looks like it won't get serious outside of kuudere humor like the 'somebody precious somebody precious' scene so I wouldn't worry too much about it
. I wish chaika wasn't so moe blob-ish. She has a use, but her speech pattern and attitude make me so iffy of liking her as a character.

it's nice to see the dragoon joining them though. She's the second dragon loli this season I guess, but at least she's dressing like a human being and won't be used for fan service. Looks like she'll probably act a tad bit tsundere towards Toru next episode

WXIII: Patlabor the Movie 3
i83jTD2O9hFt2.JPG

One of the rare highlights in this whole thing.

No wonder nobody talks about this when the Patlabor series is brought up. Not only is this an excruciatingly average monster movie, but the SV2 unit were relegated to borderline cameos! And having watched it, I'm glad they had as little a role in this as they did.

So the story follows these two detectives (one older, one younger) as they are investigating the cause of some destroyed labors and other machinery that have been occurring near the Tokyo coastline recently. One thing leads to another, there's a giant fish monster, some drama pops up between the monster and its creator, and you can get an idea of where it goes next. It's fairly typical monster movie fare that sadly has a director on autopilot and a script concerningly eager with getting to the next plot point at the expense of any sort of characterization.

Whereas Oshii's take on the Patlabor universe was emotive, tense, and filled with atmosphere, WXIII: Patlabor the Movie 3 is emotionally soulless and lacking in any sort of atmosphere. It gets from Point A to Point B without any care or thought put into how to form well-realized characters or pacing itself appropriately to what a given scene is attempting to set up. The pacing was especially egregious to me during the big reveal of the monster fairly early on because it jumped the gun so quickly. It was as if it didn't have the patience to linger on a scene before moving to the next plot point.

I was originally dead set on simply calling this film average for a good chunk of its dull run time. However, its rather empty, haphazardly executed finale really soured the whole thing for me. Why does this even exist? Ugh.

[Hunter x Hunter] - 121

What is this shit.

Would be really defending "humanity" if doing that you have to sacrifice your friend and master in doing so? No! We are better than them! /shounen trope

Joking!
Yeah, psychologically speaking he wasn't prepared for the mission. The kind of guy that could risk his live for the mission, but not the lives of others.

cajunator

Banned
Chaika the Coffin Princess 4

You can add another similarity to Scrapped Princess in this episode with
the lead getting a dragoon ally that he doesn't get along with terribly well at first but probably ends up working really well together later down the line
. Jesus the guy that wrote this really just wanted to write a moe version of Scrapped Princess.

As to the episode, the battle was pretty sweet if I do say so myself. They were fighting as good assassins and using
poison
to their advantage only solidified their standing as great leads. As to the incest side of things some folk here were against of
seems like they aren't blood related, but it looks like it won't get serious outside of kuudere humor like the 'somebody precious somebody precious' scene so I wouldn't worry too much about it
. I wish chaika wasn't so moe blob-ish. She has a use, but her speech pattern and attitude make me so iffy of liking her as a character.

it's nice to see the dragoon joining them though. She's the second dragon loli this season I guess, but at least she's dressing like a human being and won't be used for fan service. Looks like she'll probably act a tad bit tsundere towards Toru next episode

Scrapped Princess was super moe. what do you mean?

[Hunter x Hunter] - 121

What is this shit.

This is shonen action, don't know why you expected any different lol

Scrapped Princess was super moe. what do you mean?

Even more moe than scrapped princess. The character designs and wardrobes, especially of the people chasing them and their ages and the blushed cheeks and even bigger eyes. And the fact the titular character acts super moe. And now we have a
semi tsundere loli
. Scrapped Princess had a moe lead but in comparison this?

Jex

Honestly, it's one of the most annoying 'heroic' tropes in any work of fiction. You know, when the hero has a choice between saving the world and saving an important person to them and they chose the person? No one person's life will ever be worth the lives of millions of people and 'heroes' who chose incorrectly under those circumstances are idiots.

Well, they would be, except in most cases the author bales them out anyway so they get to have their cake and eat it too.

Honestly, it's one of the most annoying 'heroic' tropes in any work of fiction. You know, when the hero has a choice between saving the world and saving an important person to them and they chose the person? No one person's life will ever be worth the lives of millions of people and 'heroes' who chose incorrectly under those circumstances are idiots.

Well, they would be, except in most cases the author bales them out anyway so they get to have their cake and eat it too.

Hence why Fate Zero is so great. If not depressing.

cajunator

Banned
This is shonen action, don't know why you expected any different lol

Even more moe than scrapped princess. The character designs and wardrobes, especially of the people chasing them and their ages and the blushed cheeks and even bigger eyes. And the fact the titular character acts super moe. And now we have a
semi tsundere loli
. Scrapped Princess had a moe lead but in comparison this?

Pacifica was super hnnng. That hair <3

A friend of mine always said "eeeeeviiiil cat" every time she appeared on screen, since Kaito's beheading. Mmm she stopped doing it since she's healing Komugi...

edit: also calls "Chihaya" to Komgui. No joke

Pitou
isnt a girl though

Pacifica was super hnnng. That hair <3

Pitou
isnt a girl though

Pitou's a girl in the 2011 anime. Before she was just an unspecified gender. Togashi needs to stop doing that, I've lost track of how many "unspecified gender" characters there are. Some people still think Kurapika's a girl too

dont play jrpgs.

fuck asbel

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer

The author or the hero's future self, anyway.

I always disliked the final Fate Zero's argument that try to show how the reasoning was "wrong", putting an impossible hypothetical scenario where there is no good choices.

I don't think it was necessarily solely to prove the reasoning was wrong, but also a kind of mean spirited
torture of Kiritsugu and his ideals to break him down and show him that his ideals in places would only cause suffering. What we're left with at the end is a broken man who saves a little boy, raises him for a bit and then dies with regrets. All thanks to this war

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.

What if they have to choose between saying the world and a bowl of Crunchy Nut Granola?

Nordicus

You know, when the hero has a choice between saving the world and saving an important person to them and they chose the person? No one person's life will ever be worth the lives of millions of people and 'heroes' who chose incorrectly under those circumstances are idiots.
Yeah, they'd be choosing the option that "sympathetic" villains often take.

Which makes it honestly a bit funny.

It's not necessarily bad by itself but it can contribute to the trend of characters becoming robots made of numbers, charts, and cliches instead of resembling human beings. The logical extreme of this way of thinking is stories like SAO, Mahouka, and other LN crap.

I absolutely agree on that. That's why I say that it is terrible when it starts to influence storytelling in any way. The problem arrives largely based on amateur writers who care far too much about the power level angle and decide to craft their stories around that.

At least the narration acknowledges how it's a bad choice in this case.
I think it's established pretty early on with Knuckle that he's more likely to save those in front of him than the unseen billions, so I wouldn't call it unbelievable at least. He just happened to be less qualified for the mission than his superiors thought.

jgminto

Pitou's a girl in the 2011 anime. Before she was just an unspecified gender. Togashi needs to stop doing that, I've lost track of how many "unspecified gender" characters there are. Some people still think Kurapika's a girl too

Perhaps the point is that the gender doesn't matter?

At least the narration acknowledges how it's a bad choice in this case.
I think it's established pretty early on with Knuckle that he's more likely to save those in front of him than the unseen billions, so I wouldn't call it unbelievable at least. He just happened to be less qualified for the mission than his superiors thought.

I feel there is more to say about the issue, but well, let's wait until Jexhius finishes with the hxh backlog!

Branduil

This also relates to the old superhero trope of sending supervillains to Arkham/jail/wherever and then they promptly escape to murder more people. And superhero can't just kill the villain because then he'd be just as "bad" as the supervillain even though his inability to kill ends up costing far more lives.

cnet128

Banned
Well, I highly doubt anyone will ever be as strong as Meruem again. If later people are or are stronger, that'd be some insane power creeping.
Hunter_x_Hunter_Official_power_level_chart.png

Hold on. Komugi&#8230;and Cheetu&#8230;have the same intelligence?

My brain just exploded.

Komugi doesn't deserve that. Nobody deserves that.

No Game NO life - 04
Excellent episode
The speech delivery was just like i wanted after reading it.
No%20Game%20No%20Life%20-%2004.jpg

I lost it , right here !
Kudos for the phoenix wright exchange.
Episode was godly Can't wait to see the next arc .

I knew it , those hours playing "Civilisation" will definitly help when i'll travel to another world.

Linkark07

Banned
Love Live S2 - 4

Nice episode about Nico. Laughed when she said her siblings that all the other girls are Backstage.

Dragon Ball Kai - 102

That punching machine. It is so nice to relieve all these old memories. And finally I'm getting more familiar with Goku, Gohan and Goten voice.

Mangaka San - 4
Really would love to have this with 20 minutes each episode. Feels too short. Anyways, laughed when Aito and Miharu met in high school. Poor Miharu, she wouldn't imagine that polite boy was quite a pervert.

Soredemo Sekai - 4
Dunno what to think about this one yet. Don't like so much the King but really like Nike. Also, I noticed they are adding plots and other stuff.

Jex

[Hunter x Hunter] - 127

And here I am. I must admit, they reduced the padding somewhat in the last handful of episodes, but I've still skipped through a good 40 minutes of dead air in the last 15 episodes.

[Hunter x Hunter] - 127

And here I am. I must admit, they reduced the padding somewhat in the last handful of episodes, but I've still skipped through a good 40 minutes of dead air in the last 15 episodes.

So what's your verdict for all the people reluctant to start the series?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom