• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2014 Anime |OT2| about as likely as a second season of Hyouka

Status
Not open for further replies.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
WHEN DID YOU GET BACK OH MY GOD I MISSED YOUUUUUUUU

Welcome back.

Extollere!

Maybe linking to the pic is fine? Might want to wait on duckroll's final word or something.

Also welcome back Extollere. You chose a good moment to return HA HA HA.

Oh, my... the 'Gentlemanly Coffee Master' is back! Nice to see you with a healthy avatar too.

And you know where to always send those images, pal! ;-D

haha I know its crazy.

And also crazy to see Extollere back.
fight the power, but dont really cause that'd be bad and I don't want to see you banned

EXTOLLERE-SENPAI YOU'RE BACK.

YOU ARE BACK YOU BEAUTIFUL SON OF A...
PM PLEASE~

Thanks for the warm welcome! I really missed everyone.

As if summoned to test the new law, Extollere makes his return. Welcome back and tread lightly.

Pshh, you know I'm like the most modest person in the building.

jgminto

Free! Eternal Summer 1

That was a weird first episode. Felt like they were cramming as many moments from the first season in as they could. It was pretty entertaining though and I'm glad the drama is gone, for now at least. Kou was still pretty annoying, she still feels like a character that's just there to tell the audience when something is supposed to be sexy. It seems like there's always a character like this and it's just insulting to the audience. Her moment with Rin was just weird too. Don't do that, Kyoani. Overall I'm pretty excited for the rest of the season though. If it doesn't indulge in Kyoani's brand of shitty drama it should be great. Also I usually don't like Rin but that police uniform/gyrating in the ED, daaaaaaaaaaamn!

Link Man

Banned
I had to skip vacation this year. Just working all the time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIGKlicb8n0

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Clannad 9

So yeah, end of an arc. I feel it would have been much more powerful if
she hadn't appeared to her sister at the end. I can't help but to compare it to
Monogatari, where saying goodbye to Hachikuji was appropriately sad and painful. Here, it starts out like that, but then it's like, "No, she'll be fine! As long as everyone's happy, she'll be happy too!"
I don't know, I'm just a bit disgusted that they had to sugar-coat it.

Jarmel

Banned
In the end, culture and entertainment has grown to a point where almost everything is a "rip off" of something. It's silly to get hung up on inspirations, intended or subconscious, and better to focus on actual execution and intent.

Originality is overrated anyway. Give me something well executed over something original 9 times out of 10.

I have to take a moment to talk about how great Log Horizon is so far. I'm up to episode 5, but episode 3 is really what stuck out. The gang encounters a rat boss they'd never encountered before, from the newest expansion. They fight it out with the boss, starting off strong. Then the fight continues, with no twists, and the good guys win. Sounds simple, right? Just about every other show would've done it the same, except after an all right start the boss would've pulled out some secret new move that stumped and frightened everyone. Then it would've been an epic struggle to adapt, and by the end we would've learned a valuable lesson that this isn't the world they're used to. But Log Horizon avoids that shit, and I love it. I don't know why I love it so much, especially since I know that idea of "My god, what is this?" has to happen at some point, especially in relation to the expansion, but I'm so glad they didn't go down that plotline the very first chance they had. This is a show that really lets you settle in and takes it time, and to that I applaud Log Horizon. I'm eager to see where it goes.

Log Horizon is all about taking the database. Something so simple, yet unobtainable for many. And just living in it. Like you belonged there to begin with. Database database. Living in the database database.

Andrew J.

The thing about Utena is that few of the fights are interesting qua fights, but more as fascinating experiments by Ikuhara to determine if it's possible to create symbolism that is simultaneously obvious and cryptic.

You know thinking back on it, The Wind Rises might be the most awkward film I've seen of Ghibli. It lacked oomph that all the other ones I've seen have. But then again it's the first recent Ghibli film I watched. Porco Rosso was a better plane film.

In fact I want Porco Rosso 2: 2 Fast 2 Porkier

You know thinking back on it, The Wind Rises might be the most awkward film I've seen of Ghibli. It lacked oomph that all the other ones I've seen have. But then again it's the first recent Ghibli film I watched. Porco Rosso was a better plane film.

I think Miyazaki said he was willing to do a Porco Rosso 2.

Porco Rosso is probably the most underrated Miyazaki/Ghibli film, and easily one of my favorites.

Defuser

How is it that duckroll impose a lewd image/gif ban and yet DTL is a exception and still post a stripper cop gif and a unzipping pants gif? This is double standard.

Come on. Ponyo and especially Howl's were way more awkwardly constructes than The Wind Rises, which is a solidly made film. It's more intimate than is usual for Miyazaki, but that doesn't make it bad.

Syrinx

Aria: The Animation 5

Beach training episode pls.

Sometimes the sappiness of the show can get a little much, though the show being self-aware about this helps to prevent that a good deal. Still, I admit that the line "The world looks wonderful when reflected through the eyes of a wonderful person" got to me. Even though the sap is pretty much dripping from it.

I like the way they've set up the episodes with Akari writing an e-mail to Ai at the beginning and then ending with Ai's response.

Beach training episode pls.

Sometimes the sappiness of the show can get a little much, though the show being self-aware about this helps to prevent that a good deal. Still, I admit that the line "The world looks wonderful when reflected through the eyes of a wonderful person" got to me. Even though the sap is pretty much dripping from it.

I like the way they've set up the episodes with Akari writing an e-mail to Ai at the beginning and then ending with Ai's response.

If you already like first season you are going to love Natural and Origination. Origination especially was a damn masterpice.

Assuming I remembered correctly, in the original manga
Ai doesn't appear until being shown as Akari's first student in the last volume and Cat Sith was shown to be the one receiving the e-mails.

Did I become a regular in this thread before or after Extollere left? I can't exactly remember. But hey, welcome back!

Sword Art Online - 19

You know what the real bad thing about the second arc is?

Nevermind the fact that the villain is bad. Nor that Asuna has been reduced to a damsel in distress.

No, what gets to me about the ALO arc is that nobody seems to be having fun. This isn't SAO, where you could actually die in real life and it was serious business. No, this virtual MMO is totally safe.

Yet there's this strange lack of...color amongst many of the players. Nobody's fooling around. It still feels all serious. And yeah, I know MMOs are usually considered serious business in the MMO communities but where's the fun and personality?

Even with the fact that players dying left and right has no real bad consequence now, it still doesn't seem to make the mood any lighter.

I feel like the show is trying to keep the really serious tone after the end of what was a serious arc. There's the drama of Suguha with her brother (uggggggh). There's the drama of all this party-business. There's the drama between races with all this rengade crap.

YOU GUYS. YOU'RE IN A VIRTUAL ONLINE MMO WHERE YOU CAN FLY. LIGHTEN UP A BIT WOULD YA?

This arc would be so much better if they dropped all this side drama and focused more on the MAIN one! Like, it still doesn't need to exist in the first place for a show called SWORD ART ONLINE, but still, better is better!

So yeah, as for this episode; Kirito learned how to spam Beserker Barrage or some crap like that.

Soul Eater Not 9-12

A decent end to an awkward anime that couldn't decide if it wanted to be a moe comedy in the SE universe or a prequel to SE. Instead we get a strange hybrid that doesn't really work at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom