• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2015 |OT2| Euriphonium

Status
Not open for further replies.
My AOTS is Houkago no Pleiades, but i don't think many gaf people even watched this show.

Btw Summer looks like will have many crazy shows, by crazy i mean the show(s) will either become trainwreck or multi-track drifting.

TUSR

Banned
My AOTS is Houkago no Pleiades, but i don't think many gaf people even watched this show.

Btw Summer looks like will have many crazy shows, by crazy i mean the show(s) will either become trainwreck or multi-track drifting.
I watched the first episode and forgot about it.

I think I'm the only one who just can't enjoy KyoAni produced anime like many in this thread. I use to like some of their series but now anything KyoAni rubs me off. I don't know if it has do with me being burnt off on the Highschool sol genre or their genki/sameface designs. Then again I do enjoy sol such as Non Non Biyori and Barakamon.

Anyways I'm not trying to say KyoAni is a bad Studio by any means its just that KyoAni shows don't do it for me anymore.

cajunator

Banned
Truthfact. Love the rain, the sound is music to my ears. I mean it would be cool to have a grill and a few drinks and such but I'm fasting so no food or drinks from 2am till 10pm.

A gentle thunderstorm outside is one of my favorite sounds to relax to. I feel so peaceful.
snow I could do without. Luckily it only happens every 6-10 years.

I'm glad to have watched it! It was certainly heavy hitting, that's for sure, and while I got through it fairly quickly by my standards I don't think I could've done it in a single sitting. Episode 9 is genuinely fantastic - I really want to see more things like it. I'm assuming Celestial Method isn't quite so horrifically depressing? It's more subdued, right?

Saikano certainly a very memorable series and it punches you in the gut. I enjoyed it, in that it was worthy of my time but with a show like that "enjoyment" sounds kind of twisted.
anyway, Celestial Method is kind of sad but nowhere near the same level.
If you want a show that has a good amount of despair , watch Now and Then Here and There. That series is pretty dire. Be aware that the main character also does some Shuji-esque stupid things, but his situation is fairly extreme.

Thoraxes

I really loved it too. Just a really warm and friendly show all around, with a really nice, heartfelt ending. I really love where they took it and it was something I looked forward to every week. Not to mention that for all the 2D stuff it looked fantastic. I love their adventures through space, and wish I could get more. The eye catches were all gorgeous too.

The whole main cast was great.

I think I'm the only one who just can't enjoy KyoAni produced anime like many in this thread. I use to like some of their series but now anything KyoAni rubs me off. I don't know if it has do with me being burnt off on the Highschool sol genre or their genki/sameface designs. Then again I do enjoy sol such as Non Non Biyori and Barakamon.

Anyways I'm not trying to say KyoAni is a bad Studio by any means its just that KyoAni shows don't do it for me anymore.

Not hard to understand that, i mean, you're waiting they do something different genre, or at least, FMP4 right?

Thoraxes

I don't really enjoy a ton of their shows (last one before Euphonium I really enjoyed like 100% was Nichijou), but honestly it's easy to appreciate the amount of artistry on display in each series they work on.

Usually even if I don't like the story or characters or anything, I still find it just fun to see what these hardworking people can create.

I watched it. Definitely a charming show but I felt like it couldn't create tension(despite having several scenes that should carry it), so it became harder to care/relate to as things went on. Using
the romance as fuel for the climax
helped somewhat, but the show itself kinda remained 'pretty but unmemorable' to me.

I liked most of the designs, and thought most of the flying action scenes balanced CG and traditional animation very well. The drive shaft thing being more like a modern 'broomstick' was pretty clever, too. I think it'd make a nice rec for an otherwise unoffensive, positive show.

cajunator

Banned
MerryBoringIrishsetter.gif

This is the "fixed version"

why does her arm spazz out like one of those AAA game glitches?

What the hell is this? What am I looking at?

it looks like it was drawn by Blade.

Me too! I'd pay their standard fare for blurays for this series easily.

Same. I will gladly pay more if they put this much care into it.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Hibikie Euphonium 13
I actually wasn't super hot on this episode. While I enjoy the Kumiko as a reserved character an end episode this wordless feels overly simplistic, with the animation studio adopting the task of interpreting and conveying this final performance without doing much to consider the characters or story themselves. The dialogue that did exist in this episode felt pretty shallow, with empty enthusiasm that did little to reframe the connections characters have. With this silent focus on the group's successful performance the final note feels impersonal. This series saw emotional highs in the past that tower over this final episode, because ultimately a few shots of teary-eyed teenage girls says very little about the characters themselves.

Not hard to understand that, i mean, you're waiting they do something different genre, or at least, FMP4 right?

Please don't remind me this.

I don't really enjoy a ton of their shows (last one before Euphonium I really enjoyed like 100% was Nichijou), but honestly it's easy to appreciate the amount of artistry on display in each series they work on.

Usually even if I don't like the story or characters or anything, I still find it just fun to see what these hardworking people can create.

Yeah I do appreciate their visuals for their shows even if they do overuse the blurry effects a bit at times.

cajunator

Banned
Gangsta first show?

All right TUSR I got it for you

Summer Anime 2015 IOTI Been spending most of our lives, In a NSFW paradise

Ok dog that one is pretty good.

Don't you just love when rain runs down your clothes and fills your shoes and makes you feel all chilly?

lol I loved that movie.
rain in Louisiana is basically tropical.
unless its winter, it is a very warm rain, like bathwater. Usually the sun is out. Its like stepping into a sauna.

There were some good shows this season, that's for sure :)

This has been a very good season and I havent even completed all the shows yet!

PK Gaming

Samurai Flamenco 16

YOOO THIS EPISODE

To be honest I was rather hit and miss on the Flamengers arc. It was fresh and fun, but what it gained in innovation it lost in heart and focus imo. It was a loving parody of sentai shows, but it didn't really do much with any of the side characters. I was afraid the show would drop nuance and character focused episodes entirely

BUT THIS EPISODE

Convinced me that the show could still hit me with some serious feels. Loved the conflict between the MMM girls and the resolution was very sweet.

My AOTS was Jojo. I may have caught up with it at the last second, but marathoning it made me wish I watched it weekly with the rest of you guys.

Samurai Flamenco 16

YOOO THIS EPISODE

To be honest I was rather hit and miss on the Flamengers arc. It was fresh and fun, but what it gained in innovation it lost in heart and focus imo. It was a loving parody of sentai shows, but it didn't really do much with any of the side characters. I was afraid the show would drop nuance and character focused episodes entirely

BUT THIS EPISODE

Convinced me that the show could still hit me with some serious feels. Loved the conflict between the MMM girls and the resolution was very sweet.

You need to watch the next episode RIGHT NOW.

Hibike! Euphonium 13 (END)

Lovely performance and a great show all around. Ponytail Kumiko > Your best girl

There were lots of other members that hair awesome hair too, too bad the show didn't really devote any time to them.

Feel bad for Kumikos friend on the other school. Looked like she was all alone in contrast to all the support Kumiko got from her band.

cajunator

Banned
If Japan wins tomorrow I'm afraid we're having animegaf divided in the Women's WC finale.

hell nah.
USA #1
I dont care about soccer

KyoAni has always appealed to a certain audience. The sort who really likes slice of life genre. They often make slow paced shows more character based than story.

Don't you all dare diss on Soul Eater. I wouldn't be here if I hadn't watched this when it aired. It was my "first anime" and man, I remember being so stocked for each week's episode. Soul & Maka, Black*Star & Tsubaki, Death the Kid & Liz & Patty. These are the true MVPs of the ages. Shame it had a crappy ending. The manga's ending too left a void in my chest.

VRMN

It's not my AOTS, that's probably either SNAFU or Euphonium, but it ranked top 5, which is far more than I expected from it.

Puruzi

Banned
Don't you all dare diss on Soul Eater. I wouldn't be here if I hadn't watched this when it aired. It was my "first anime" and man, I remember being so stocked for each week's episode. Soul & Maka, Black*Star & Tsubaki, Death the Kid & Liz & Patty. These are the true MVPs of the ages. Shame it had a crappy ending. The manga's ending too left a void in my chest.

Fuck? Nobody is dissing Soul Eater, we're ragging on Soul Eater Not

Crocodile

I think I'm the only one who didn't like Samumenco =/

My man :)

Who's dissing Soul Eater (though that ending was dumb)? Soul Eater was overall great! I thought we were mostly throwing shade on Soul Eater NOT?

LOL it's my bad. I didn't even know there was a Soul Eater "NOT". I just looked it up and it's some kind of spin off? I did wonder about that gif since I didn't remember seeing it on the show. Well good thing I never even heard of this thing until today. This too throw me off:
Sigh. To think it started with:

soul-eater-o.gif
Since this scene I remember from the original show.

javac

I was listening to the Anime Limited podcast a few months ago and they were talking about how back in the day distributors in the US thought that Heat Guy J was going to be the next big thing akin to Trigun and were bidding crazy prices to get it and a ton of people got burnt on that deal, like majorly so. A boom happened around Trigun and it got a ton of bids but managed to recoup its money in the end. Hopes were that Heat Guy J would be the next Trigun but fell flat on its face. Pretty funny, would never have thought that people would be putting that much stock into a show like that looking at it from a glance, was it ever well received/good? I just think that the name is funny personally :p

Apparently the norm that the US pays is as much as $50k and sometimes more per episode when acquiring series. Apparently 'nostalgia' series that aired in the 80's and such can be the most expensive to get a hold of but they usually break even. The head of Anime Limited also used to work at Beez Entertainment and when asked what is the most expensive acquisition he's been a part of he specifically alluded to his French branch of Anime Limited as being is most expensive for him, and although he never named names that would point to releases such as Cat's Eye, Tom Sawyer, Treasure Island, Space Adventure Cobra and Ie Naki Ko. Films are the most risky. Makes sense.

Just a random hodgepodge post while the heat continues to kill me. Pray for javac.

Baalzebup

Just a random hodgepodge post while the heat continues to kill me. Pray for javac.

Careful what you wish for. You don't really know to whom people might be praying to. I'm not sure your situation would improve if Cthulhu gave you some attention.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
I was listening to the Anime Limited podcast a few months ago and they were talking about how back in the day distributors in the US thought that Heat Guy J was going to be the next big thing akin to Trigun and were bidding crazy prices to get it and a ton of people got burnt on that deal, like majorly so. A boom happened around Trigun and it got a ton of bids but managed to recoup its money in the end. Hopes were that Heat Guy J would be the next Trigun but fell flat on its face. Pretty funny, would never have thought that people would be putting that much stock into a show like that looking at it from a glance, was it ever well received/good? I just think that the name is funny personally :p

Apparently the norm that the US pays is as much as $50k and sometimes more per episode when acquiring series. Apparently 'nostalgia' series that aired in the 80's and such can be the most expensive to get a hold of but they usually break even. The head of Anime Limited also used to work at Beez Entertainment and when asked what is the most expensive acquisition he's been a part of he specifically alluded to his French branch of Anime Limited as being is most expensive for him, and although he never named names that would point to releases such as Cat's Eye, Tom Sawyer, Treasure Island, Space Adventure Cobra and Ie Naki Ko. Films are the most risky. Makes sense.

As I have heard, Pioneer/Genon paid as much for Heat Guy J as Funimation did for Fullemtal Alchemist. I think that encapsulates why one is still around and to the other is not.

As I have heard, Pioneer/Genon paid as much for Heat Guy J as Funimation did for Fullemtal Alchemist. I think that encapsulates why one is still around and to the other is not.

Yep. Heat Guy J barely made a quarter of what FMA did. Heat Guy J effectively started a streak of bombs for Pioneer after they became Geneon.

javac

Careful what you wish for. You don't really know to whom people might be praying to. I'm not sure your situation would improve if Cthulhu gave you some attention.

If Cthulhu can ease the pain I ain't complaining!

Haha yeah that is pretty crazy. They were just talking about how hard it is to predict the next big thing and that even FMA was considered a 'medium' success when compared to something like Death Note which was huge and probably still is. The last big one was Attack on Titan and it really does seem to be a once every 5 or so years affair that we get something along those lines, a series that transcends the medium and escapes into the mainstream and everyone is always trying to find the next big thing. I haven't seen any of them personally. I'm hipster like that. Just found Heat Guy J burning a bunch of people funny, but obviously not literally because burning people is bad.

The Disappearance of Nagato Yuki-Chan 4-5

Valentine's day episodes. In summary:

The comedy: Mediocre at best.
The Kyon and Yuki scenes: Above average but nothing special.

From the 5 episodes I've seen so far, the show is at it's best when the comedy focuses on Haruhi and Ryoko. Yuki and Kyon to some extent are just kinda boring in comparison.

MSMrRound

I think I'm the only one who didn't like Samumenco =/

Flamenco started off well enough, but then Episode 7 happened and things started going crayhay.

Ultimately it became more of a trainwreck of a anime than anything. Shame though. It had some potential at first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom