• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2014 Tokyo MX, er, Anime |OT1.5| ORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Love Live! School Idol Project - 10

Why do all rich girls in anime have summer houses? Anyways what kind of idol show would this be without a beach episode?!?! With added awesome of pillow fights!

Fun episode and a bit Maki-centered which I agree that Maki needed some character development. Best scene was Umi waking up and getting pissed in the pillow fight. Also, Nico is starting to drop into cringe/annoying levels with the overuse of her persona in the show.

Love Live! School Idol Project - 10

Why do all rich girls in anime have summer houses? Anyways what kind of idol show would this be without a beach episode?!?! With added awesome of pillow fights!

Fun episode and a bit Maki-centered which I agree that Maki needed some character development. Best scene was Umi waking up and getting pissed in the pillow fight. Also, Nico is starting to drop into cringe/annoying levels with the overuse of her persona in the show.

I'm not even rich and even i have a summer house.

And if i was rich , i would have a summer house , a winter house , a spring house and a fall house.

cnet128

Banned
Captain Earth 9

Akari is the saving grace of this show. Fuck yeah magical girls.

Killtgangs, stop transforming perfectly nice people into your creepy brethren. I don't care if that's their original form or whatever. Just…stop it.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
I'm catching up on the Anime World Order podcast and they kind of recommend Bayonetta: Bloody Fate. How can you defend these monster Jexhius?

-Horizon-

Mekaku City Actors 8
HanaKana characters are starting to have a thing for snakes.

Captain Earth 9
Never mess with Akari. Noted.

Mahouka 9
So you're saying...he's a robot!
not really but I just want something like that to happen at this point to explain Tatsuya's OPness and apparent ability to show up at just the right time as if by teleportation

Love Live! School Idol Project - 11

Concert episode!

Yeah I know I stated I would hold off the iM@S comparisons in my episode 1 review, but I have to make this one, that is Haruka > Honoka.

Haruka from iM@S and Honoka from Love Live! are essentially fulfilling the same character role. I make this comparison now because Honoka was annoying/displeasing in this episode. While doing your best to reach your goals is always a good thing Honka decided to solely focus on this and give her pre-established role over to Umi, that is being so dedicated to her goal that she ultimately ignores her friends, specifically that of
Kotori
. In iM@S Haruka is all about her friends (see the ending episodes), yeah I know that this episode is ultimately about character development but so far I feel iM@S does said character development better in this regard.

Alright, onto the song at the end. Glad this an enjoyable song to counteract the previous two, and yes the CGI dancing has returned. Personally I found it funny when
Honoka fainted right afterwards
as I was sort of ticked off at her character at the time and how it was such a sudden change of an upbeat feel to an abrupt halt.

Syrinx

Non Non Biyori 2

Hotaru repeatedly gushing about senpai was pretty annoying. Otherwise I liked that scene, even if what's-her-name not knowing that was Hotaru kinda seemed like a bogus premise for it.

I didn't even realize that dude was their brother, or that the teacher was Renge's sister. They really are out in the middle of nowhere. What's their town even called, anyway? Does it even have a name?

tatsuki

ibr6ychWUvMOJR.gif

iqC445aEIPf2M.gif

idfCJGjFLR5Qh.gif

ifuUHsvSANQDm.gif

OceanBlue

Love Live! School Idol Project - 11

I like Haruka over Honoka as well, but I feel as if the ending episodes of the first season were such poor portrayals of all of the second year characters that I can't take them seriously and just ignore them when I think about each character. To me, it was like the writer/s took a small trait from the characters and exaggerated them for the sake of drama. It felt contrived because I didn't feel as if they properly established the characters to act the way they did.

Crocodile

Daily Lives of High School Boys 10-12/FIN

So it was all a dream? I'm a bit puzzled by the very last scene with the boys. Overall though the show was fucking hilarious. I think I missed a few episodes in the middle that I should watch though.

Ping Pong 8

It probably says something pretty good about the show and how even-handed it is at developing the cast when I was legit upset that someone who started out as an antagonist in the series lost ;_; Smile, in terms of development, is being left in the dust. Definitely the least interesting character on the show.

Midonin

Kawaisou 09

Lots of good moments for Mayumi and Ritsu this week. Mayumi being good at playing the guitar was unexpected, but if she ever did put out an indie CD, it would be some pretty mopey music. That final scene, though. I hesitate to use the term, but that leveled her up to cougar. Getting a look at Ritsu's personal library was also appreciated. Mayumi called it "unsexy", but like everything, there's bound to be a steamy romantic novel or two she's read that can put her in the mood. The cute centipede was good for a few gags, and I continue to be M for Sayaka. This is a really charming show.

Love Live! School Idol Project - 12

Oh geeze, really, REALLY?! Now I'm almost 100% positive everyone here calling Honoka as best girl are trolling me, guess I'll have to find if the next and final episode will redeem her character huh?

So far what I've learned is Honoka is ultimately a selfish jerk hiding behind a facade of wanting to 'save the school'. In all seriousness why would trying to equal other idol groups like A-Rise
matter at all to her? Her original intent/goal was to save the damn school for crying out loud, not to compete. If anything this character switch should've belonged to Eri as she is the one with the backstory to support such a change.
And damn did that slap from
Umi
feel good. Welp I guess its obvious that a Love Live concert is
off the table
for this first season, wonder what sort of concert (if there's going to be one) will happen next episode?

Articalys

Been out with friends all day. Glad the thread didn't get locked yet.
So there is a new Haruhi animation project.

I hope they animate another bunch of Endless Eight episodes.

Isn't it just a promotional thing for the upcoming Pachislot machine?
Hey, it's brand-new KyoAni Haruhi footage, so even if it's just a 90-second music video, I'll take it.
Yeah I wouldn't say Captain Earth is particularly well executed either, but I do enjoy the infectious tone of positivity the main characters have. It's something I feel is pretty lacking in the other shows I'm watching this season, outside of Haikyu, so that keeps interesting for me.
I think that's probably the reason why both shows are also at the top of my list.
オール・ユー・ニード・イズ・キル
This is good. Other than the lackluster ending, everything is great. The action, the humor, the drama. So damn goooood!
Definitely one of the good LN adaptation
It's Edge of Tomorrow aka All you need is kill
See, using a Japanese title for this one is actually perfectly reasonable since it was based on a Japanese novel in the first place.

---------------------

I have no stake in Love Live character wars, but for pairings Nico x Maki is best.

And it sounds like Mahouka is turning out to be something wonderful.

cajunator

Banned
Been out with friends all day. Glad the thread didn't get locked yet.

Hey, it's brand-new KyoAni Haruhi footage, so even if it's just a 90-second music video, I'll take it.

I think that's probably the reason why both shows are also at the top of my list.

See, using a Japanese title for this one is actually perfectly reasonable since it was based on a Japanese novel in the first place.

---------------------

I have no stake in Love Live character wars, but for pairings Nico x Maki is best.

And it sounds like Mahouka is turning out to be something wonderful.

I dunno if Id call Mahouka wonderful but it has Azusa in it which makes it acceptable.

Branduil

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure 8-9

ijN2V31l3iEPT.jpg

It's duckroll!

I think these episodes might have had more animation than the entire previous season. Also, Joseph and Abdul were utterly useless in these episodes. Let's just sit around the hotel room the whole time and not help anyone, LOL.

Love Live! School Idol Project - 13

Well that felt... rushed. Nothing else really to say, I'll put up a series review on the next thread after this one closes. Let me just say that this episode tried to redeem Honoka but didn't really succeed in it.

I like Haruka over Honoka as well, but I feel as if the ending episodes of the first season were such poor portrayals of all of the second year characters that I can't take them seriously and just ignore them when I think about each character. To me, it was like the writer/s took a small trait from the characters and exaggerated them for the sake of drama. It felt contrived because I didn't feel as if they properly established the characters to act the way they did.

Yeah this pretty much sums it up, the drama here feels contrived and if I take it seriously I'll just get pissed (especially at Honoka). But then that seems dishonest in that if you're going to review this show you have to take in all its aspects, not just the parts you like.

Anyways, my final rankings for best girl(s)? Well to be honest I didn't really care enough about this show to put just one girl above all the rest but my top three are Maki, Umi, and Eri.

Kill la Kill - 06

Damn, things got really bleak in this episode. Nice change of tone to keep things interesting. One of the Elite Four got a cool backstory and a even cooler Goku Uniform. Really wondering where this goes.

Yowamushi Pedal 33

Tadokoro has now moved up in my personal ranking for best boy after singing with Onoda.

Hime~ Hime~

The next episode opening seriously needs the entire Shohoko team singing that song.

Or just switch it out with the real deal.

Either would be a vast improvement over the one we have now.

Jarmel

Banned
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure 8-9
I think these episodes might have had more animation than the entire previous season. Also, Joseph and Abdul were utterly useless in these episodes. Let's just sit around the hotel room the whole time and not help anyone, LOL.

It's a shame how badly Joesph got nerfed in his old age.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom