• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2015 |OT| The Disappearance of YEAARRT!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I still remember watching Aldnoah Zero and thinking to myself "there's no way a whole team of writers hate a main character this much is there?"

Boy was I wrong

Well, that is not good, I may have to drop it then.

How about Rolling Girls and Fate Stay Night - Unlimited Blade Works ?

LAWL.

No and no. One was all flash no substance, and the other is all flash and really crappy light novel material that makes you realize how much better Fate Zero is. Are you looking specifically for recent shit? What do you like?

Rolling Girls falls off a cliff super fast. FSN is FSN, I think it's awful but apparently people like it. You'll probably know if you do already.

What kind of show are you looking for?

Rolling Girls has some really cool concepts and a few legit awesome scenes, but it also has probably the most useless group of protagonists ever, even in the context of their own story.

Fate/Zero was awesome.

Hmmmm. You clearly like action anime.

Have you tried Berserk (older tv show or modern films), Samurai Champloo, Baccano, Black Lagoon?

What about sci fi? Yamato 2199 is a darling in AnimeGAF.

If you're in the mood for suspense, what about Monster?
Christ, is there any good shows at all now then?

Out right now? Unless you're willing to catch up with Gintama. BBB is also decent if nothing out of this world.

Dungeon Harem show has been the surprise of the season for me but that's like a potato chip show that happened to be delicious and everything else is crap.

Nisekoi: Episode 8
CGNyLj9WoAAy5PT.jpg
CGNxs3KUgAAg5Ny.jpg

Okay it had Dr. Maikou so that redeemed the spinoff.

Main episode was one of my favorite chapters animated. Ichijou + Onodera's is always hilarious.

Dennis

Banned
Hmmmm. You clearly like action anime.

Have you tried Berserk (older tv show or modern films), Samurai Champloo, Baccano, Black Lagoon?

What about sci fi? Yamato 2199 is a darling in AnimeGAF.

If you're in the mood for suspense, what about Monster?

Out right now? Unless you're willing to catch up with Gintama. BBB is also decent if nothing out of this world.

Dungeon Harem show has been the surprise of the season for me but that's like a potato chip show that happened to be delicious and everything else is crap.

I have seen the old ones, yeah. Including Yamato 2199.

My taste is pretty broad, action, slice of life, it is all good.

Dungeon Harem? That sounds like the perfect title for the anime I don't like......

Blood Blockade Battlefront and Arslan Senki have been the best shows this season. With the former having a New York setting and the later having a fantasy but historical based setting. Also the former's source material was written by Nightow the guy who wrote Trigun, which like Trigun has very enjoyable characters.

sonicmj1

Going to stop you right there for a few reasons. first off even if Episode 8 doesn't have them becoming a couple becoming a couple they are clearly working their way to a romantic coupling and thus my assertion about things being an emotional betrayal or the narrative still stands. Shinichi may be more problematic then you might think I am not sure how much I can discuss because I forget if certain things have reached a certain point Finally, let me address the meta-narrative, what you are doing here is the atypical response when it comes to coded gay and lesbian couples, keep it vague enough, keep the hetero door open just wide enough for plausible deniability. I have seen that way too many times and I have no tolerance for it anymore.

We could talk about what the anime is trying to say in itself all day if we want (I could ask you why you think they are "clearly" moving towards being a couple, for example), but the meta-conversation is where the more obvious and fundamental disagreement lies.

I'm not going to pretend that Japan in general, or anime in particular, has a good track record on LGBT-related issues. Those issues are often handled in manners ranging from fetish-fuel or teasing to blatant homophobic bashing. Shows that treat those issues with respect, like Wandering Son, or Ikuhara's works, are extreme rarities. That's a shame. I'd like to see more shows tackling those issues in a way that respects real human relationships, much as I'd like to see more anime that actually attempts to portray human interaction in a way that resembles reality.

But I think we need to be very careful before we start tearing apart a show for not telling a completely different sort of story than it intends to tell. It's unfair to demand a homosexual pairing from a show that doesn't intend to tell that kind of story, to force it to be the vanguard of a progressive revolution it had no intention of participating in, or may not have been aware of. I think there's a difference between saying that it would be great if GTAV had a female protagonist character and saying that GTAV is bad or misogynistic because it doesn't have a female protagonist character (though the game might be misogynistic for other reasons), and the same sort of thing applies here.

I think if you say that same-sex friendships of this level of intimacy have to turn into homosexual romantic pairs, you're shutting out a certain kind of relationship from existing in fiction because it doesn't go far enough, and that's unfair to a lot of kinds of stories. I actually can't think of a lot of same-sex scenes like this one in episode 8 that capture that sort of friendship with as much resonance. I think they aimed for and hit almost exactly where they wanted to go, and that's fine.

It's not a tease for the benefit of the audience at the expense of the characters, like, say, Ryuuko's brainwashing in Kill la Kill.

Dennis

Banned
Recent shows I thought was amazing are:

Aku no Hana- The Flowers of Evil
Uchouten Kazoku -The Eccentric Family
Shingeki no Kyojin - Attack on Titan
Gin no Saji - Silver Spoon
Ping Pong The Animation

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan

There's
Jojo Bizarre adventure
Hibike Euphonium
Arslan Senki
Blood Blockade Battlefront
Ore monogatari

I want to recommend Ninja Slayer, but that depend on how much you like Inferno Cop and Kung Fury. If you like both of those show, you might like Ninja Slayer.

Cornbread78

I have seen the old ones, yeah. Including Yamato 2199.

My taste is pretty broad, action, slice of life, it is all good.

Dungeon Harem? That sounds like the perfect title for the anime I don't like......

Have you watched My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU?

If not, it's definitely worth it if you like a good slice of life anime that really makes you think.

sonicmj1

Aldnoah Zero - 13

So...............everyone survives getting shot. OK then.

Stop. No.

Nooooooo.

Show's I've enjoyed from the last 12 months or so:

- Shirobako
- Jojo's Bizarre Adventure
- Rage of Bahamut
- Death Parade
- Sound! Euphonium
- Blood Blockade Battlefront

Recent shows I thought was amazing are:

Aku no Hana- The Flowers of Evil
Uchouten Kazoku -The Eccentric Family
Shingeki no Kyojin - Attack on Titan
Gin no Saji - Silver Spoon
Ping Pong The Animation

Try giving a watch to Barakamon. Or even Nozaki-kun (it's comedy about romance so don't worry about romance if it's not your thing it's hilarious).

And of course if you want something that's a slow burn but amazing, try Space Brothers.
cepONsy.gif

there's also Rage of Bahamut which was ok. Parasyte you should enjoy as well.

ibyea

Banned
Squid Girl 1
As a celebration of my brother buying Splatoon, I watched an episode of Squid Girl.

It's all right.

Squid girl vomiting squid ink for the pasta was really funny though.

ibyea

Banned
We could talk about what the anime is trying to say in itself all day if we want (I could ask you why you think they are "clearly" moving towards being a couple, for example), but the meta-conversation is where the more obvious and fundamental disagreement lies.

I'm not going to pretend that Japan in general, or anime in particular, has a good track record on LGBT-related issues. Those issues are often handled in manners ranging from fetish-fuel or teasing to blatant homophobic bashing. Shows that treat those issues with respect, like Wandering Son, or Ikuhara's works, are extreme rarities. That's a shame. I'd like to see more shows tackling those issues in a way that respects real human relationships, much as I'd like to see more anime that actually attempts to portray human interaction in a way that resembles reality.

But I think we need to be very careful before we start tearing apart a show for not telling a completely different sort of story than it intends to tell. It's unfair to demand a homosexual pairing from a show that doesn't intend to tell that kind of story, to force it to be the vanguard of a progressive revolution it had no intention of participating in, or may not have been aware of. I think there's a difference between saying that it would be great if GTAV had a female protagonist character and saying that GTAV is bad or misogynistic because it doesn't have a female protagonist character (though the game might be misogynistic for other reasons), and the same sort of thing applies here.

I think if you say that same-sex friendships of this level of intimacy have to turn into homosexual romantic pairs, you're shutting out a certain kind of relationship from existing in fiction because it doesn't go far enough, and that's unfair to a lot of kinds of stories. I actually can't think of a lot of same-sex scenes like this one in episode 8 that capture that sort of friendship with as much resonance. I think they aimed for and hit almost exactly where they wanted to go, and that's fine.

It's not a tease for the benefit of the audience at the expense of the characters, like, say, Ryuuko's brainwashing in Kill la Kill.

That is one heck of a weird friendship, then, because that was a bit too flirtateous. Furthermore, I have seen this kind of thing a million times before. This sort of intimate interaction, but oh they are not reeeaaally lesbians, kind of thing. It honestly sounds like a completely cynical ploy. Like they are trying to have their cake and eat it, wanting to include yuri to titillate viewers, but not really have it because that would be indecent kind of thing.

Syrinx

Squid Girl 1
As a celebration of my brother buying Splatoon, I watched an episode of Squid Girl.

It's all right.

Squid girl vomiting squid ink for the pasta was really funny though.
Actually started this a few days ago.

Squid puns are surprisingly amusing.

Food Wars Episode 9

SoTaku made this episode amazing. The best moments in the manga animated in perfect fashion and with even the great soundtrack and voices accompanying it.

Bus scene was hilarious. And them singing the ED great.
CGMmHz5U4AAHzro.png

I avoid watching Ping Pong because I know what's bad for me!

That coming from a guy who'd rather watch Gundam AGE twice than watch 08th MS team again.

Granted, I haven't seen AGE or MS team myself, but I've heard and read enough details about it everywhere to know which one is probably superior.

javac

Just got Space Dandy Part 1 on Blu-ray. I had it pre-ordered but cancelled it...but decided to get it after all. I'll be honest, I was hyped for this show when it was first announced but the more I saw of it, the more put off I became. In the end, Jexhius tried to convince me to watch it a while back while I declined, and I guess that ate at me, so I guess in the end his effort wasn't in vain. Even when I act suborn, I do listen!

Large amount of pics inbound, because I'm weird.
Front:
vWuw0vh.jpg

Back:
7leAmEQ.jpg

Spine:
caLojG6.jpg

Info: (Spot the error :p)
BxQaIN7.jpg

This set is a top loader, I actually like it!
Top:
A0FQM6T.jpg

Top:
pQJYqwz.jpg

Front Cover:
w6tYCTt.jpg

Back Cover::
UZtOC8F.jpg

Disc 1:
h3szWTo.jpg

Disc 2:
5fk2V3U.jpg

Full Cover::
UkuSbmZ.jpg

Reverse Cover:
7xgPjP7.jpg

Book Front:
TYe1zHi.jpg

Book Back:
JGHxh47.jpg

Book Contents:
tYiSYOn.jpg

Kyousougiga Episode 1

The art and direction is absolutely stunning with the setting full of vibrancy and creativity. The way each scene is cleverly handled and transitioned is truly brilliant. I just love how the camera is handled as well especially how it zooms out and zooms in. The direction is really similar to how Kekkai Sensen is handled, you can definitely tell it's directed by Matsumoto Rie. As for the story it's interesting so far with the Priest being unhappy and finally finding love and a family, to only leave them due to some troubling circumstances. Also this series does have a lot of Buddhist influence.

Even if it's just the first episode I think I'm completely in love with this series.

Nice that you finally got round to watching this! Toei have done some occasional decent works outside of their usual franchise stuff. You should take a look at both Mononoke and Ayakashi: Japanese Classic Horror as well, they are both beautiful looking shows and both are from Toei too!

Kyousougiga Episode 3

EJV2w3b.jpg

It seems they have some business.

I really enjoyed this episode seeing how chaotic everything was. Though I really loved seeing Kurama's past over his curiosity of the Human world and how it lead to his current plans of invading the Human world. It seems Koto is Sensei's daughter which may further add some developments.

anybody in here remember watching an anime about a kid that travels to another fantasy realm whose schtick is to race comically bad CG remote control cars? It's like pokemon but with a talking blue RC car.

Nice that you finally got round to watching this! Toei have done some occasional decent works outside of their usual franchise stuff. You should take a look at both Mononoke and Ayakashi: Japanese Classic Horror as well, they are both beautiful looking shows and both are from Toei too!

Thank you for recommending me a wonderful show. I will eventually look into those other shows you've recommended.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom