• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2015 |OT| The Disappearance of YEAARRT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ibyea

Banned
anybody in here remember watching an anime about a kid that travels to another fantasy realm whose schtick is to race comically bad CG remote control cars? It's like pokemon but with a talking blue RC car.

Excluding the traveling to a fantasy realm part, sounds like Beyblade if you replace cars with tops.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Take the show as it is. It's weird to see people saddling it with these expectations that they know it won't meet so they can get mad at KyoAni for not being progressive enough to include a homosexual couple after a scene like this, because it subverts a scene that's already beautiful, touching, and well-directed in its own right.
I deeply appreciate the posts you've made on this subject, as they largely align to how I interpreted the most recent episode of Euphonium. The mountaintop climb offered a small shared goal that both Kumiko and Reina were able to work towards. During the process we're able to see how the characters align on a philosophical and behavioral level, and this is all accomplished through smooth and naturalistic banter. There is a powerful emotion to the scene that is separate from love or romance. Two characters come to have a significantly deeper understanding of one another, and it's through music and the goals that music creates as a personal pursuit.

Euph 08 was really touching and beautiful, but many of the reactions to it within this community honestly make me sick, whether it's reading about characters being "canonically straight" or the now incessant demands for homosexual character couplings. These warped and often binary views of sexuality and relationships are something that feel despicable in their own way, dehumanizing and simplifying characters into a compact and easily digestible form that comes with single word labels like "yuri". It's a weird brand of discrimination.

i could go into how exploitative portrayals of same sex relationships could be the potential culprit behind these awkward demands for simplified sexuality, but i can't do it in a way that's nice. this thread has become very bad. i had negative opinions about many posters already, but the last euph episode left a trail of subtly disgusting impressions that left a deeper level of distaste within me. fortunately anime isn't real, and i can pretend most of this never happened.

Futurecard Buddyfight!100 (Hundred) Episode 8 (engdub)
CGOGlHJVAAAihdS.jpg

All these Asmodai this episode, dancemodai, playmodai. I wantmodai.

But the plot,
two more entities that we need to watch out for. I dont know how they fit into the overall plot, feels like things got even more complicated

Puruzi

Banned
Yo are we serious right now? gahdamn it's just anime. If people wanna like lesbians for whatever reason letem, nobody's stopping anyone from discussing how touching or well directed scenes are

shit this is such a non issue

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Yo are we serious right now? gahdamn it's just anime. If people wanna like lesbians for whatever reason letem, nobody's stopping anyone from discussing how touching or well directed scenes are

shit this is such a non issue

i thought that's what we were doing, but ok, much easier to just wring our hands about how everyone is just overreacting and can we go back to our little bubbles where we might not get accidentally challenged by a new thought

ibyea

Banned
I deeply appreciate the posts you've made on this subject, as they largely align to how I interpreted the most recent episode of Euphonium. The mountaintop climb offered a small shared goal that both Kumiko and Reina were able to work towards. During the process we're able to see how the characters align on a philosophical and behavioral level, and this is all accomplished through smooth and naturalistic banter. There is a powerful emotion to the scene that is separate from love or romance. Two characters come to have a significantly deeper understanding of one another, and it's through music and the goals that music creates as a personal pursuit.

Euph 08 was really touching and beautiful, but many of the reactions to it within this community honestly make me sick, whether it's reading about characters being "canonically straight" or the now incessant demands for homosexual character couplings. These warped and often binary views of sexuality and relationships are something that feel despicable in their own way, dehumanizing and simplifying characters into a compact and easily digestible form that comes with single word labels like "yuri". It's a weird brand of discrimination.

i could go into how exploitative portrayals of same sex relationships could be the potential culprit behind these awkward demands for simplified sexuality, but i can't do it in a way that's nice. this thread has become very bad. i had negative opinions about many posters already, but the last euph episode left a trail of subtly disgusting impressions that left a deeper level of distaste within me. fortunately anime isn't real, and i can pretend most of this never happened.

I personally appreciate your impression, even if perhaps I am one of those people you have negative opinions about. Sometimes you need to be blunt in your beliefs, and I prefer full on honesty. You brought a dimension I haven't considered. You are right that sexuality isn't a binary thing, and maybe I have forgotten that. Food for thought.

Edit: And yeah, that exploitative portrayal is what I was very worried about and why I thought the way I did.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
People don't want to see others discuss about how they like yuri tho.
I'm just saying to let it be, and people don't need to be all "this makes me sick" "how pathetic"

like damn.

people are free to say "omg look at all this yuri praise the flower garden lolol" and we're free to say that pigeonholing every relationship like that is pretty gross

Y'know what, I think sonic, envelope and dimb are right even though I'm probably one of the people their talking about. I think this conversation has gotten kind of out of hand though.

I still like yuri though

Puruzi

Banned
people are free to say "omg look at all this yuri praise the flower garden lolol" and we're free to say that pigeonholing every relationship like that is pretty gross

Yeah alright. I don't think that it's necessary to get upset about about shit like that, but you're well within your rights to. You do you

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
These warped and often binary views of sexuality and relationships are something that feel despicable in their own way, dehumanizing and simplifying characters into a compact and easily digestible form that comes with single word labels like "yuri". It's a weird brand of discrimination.
This is something that's been bothering me for a while (and not just in anime) so thanks for putting it into words like that.

ibyea

Banned
i thought that's what we were doing, but ok, much easier to just wring our hands about how everyone is just overreacting and can we go back to our little bubbles where we might not get accidentally challenged by a new thought

This. I think these conversations are important because you learn stuff.

I just think people should be able to recognize that it's possible for two people to have an intimate friendship without necessarily having a sexual desire for each other.

ibyea

Banned
I just think people should be able to recognize that it's possible for two people to have an intimate friendship without necessarily having a sexual desire for each other.

That's interesting because it is completely outside my experience. Because of that I couldn't imagine any other way to interpret that scene.

sonicmj1

To clarify, I'm not offended by this discussion at all. It's an interesting one that apparently needed to happen.

That's interesting because it is completely outside my experience. Because of that I couldn't imagine any other way to interpret that scene.

Never heard of anything like this?

There's actually a whole thread on OT right now about shows with "bromances" that occasionally cut pretty close to this very topic.

superbad-i-love-you1.jpg

ibyea

Banned
To clarify, I'm not offended by this discussion at all. It's an interesting one that apparently needed to happen.

Never heard of anything like this?

There's actually a whole thread on OT right now about shows with "bromances" that occasionally cut pretty close to this very topic.

superbad-i-love-you1.jpg

Never watched those. ^_^ And in terms of my own life, all my friendships were, how do I call it, strictly platonic?

Yuri is not the only thing to get the creepy fetishization treatment in this thread. Look at the responses any time there is a female character with non-white skin. You get a ton of super creepy "Brown girl! How Exotic! Must Waifu!" posts.

Syrinx

Yuri is not the only thing to get the creepy fetishization treatment in this thread. Look at the responses any time there is a female character with non-white skin. You get a ton of super creepy "Brown girl! How Exotic! Must Waifu!" posts.

I do know that I have been put off by this in the past.

Puruzi

Banned
Well I'm black so if I see a brown girl I'll probably say something because I think brown skin is pretty attractive. I'm completely lost on this one, it's pretty normal to like different skin tones imo.
Nothing really creepy about it.

Well I'm black so if I see a brown girl I'll probably say something because I think brown skin is pretty attractive. I'm completely lost on this one, it's pretty normal to like different skin tones imo.

It's normal to like different skin colors, but I'm talking about stuff that goes beyond that and exoticizes and fetishizes it.

ibyea

Banned

Nothing wrong with liking different skin tones, it is about the fetishism of the "exotic" sort to speak. Which I kind of understand because as an Asian, I have seen that we get that a lot.

Symphogear G 06-07

Why are Ma'am (or Mom subs can't seem to decide) even working with the scientist guy. He is so blatantly evil and we already passed the point where it was revealed they have no evil intentions.

this is dumb

Puruzi

Banned
It's normal to like different skin colors, but I'm talking about stuff that goes beyond that and exoticizes and fetishizes it.

Nothing wrong with liking different skin tones, it is about the fetishism of the "exotic" sort to speak. Which I kind of understand because as an Asian, I have seen that we get that a lot.
The most I've seen in regards to it getting fetishized are people calling said girl sexy or some shit

Is that actually an issue now.
Because Jesus fucking Christ if so.

The way I see it is that yuri/yaoi are just genres and are mostly meant to titillate and lead people on, as opposed to shoujo ai and shonen ai which is more about the romantic and emotional part.

But I see people using yaoi and yuri as a kind of catch all, never really saw it as a problem.

Kyousougiga Episode 4

idHyL2Z.jpg

She may be a Demon in the outside but she's truly a wonderful person in the inside.😀

I loved how this episode focused on Yase's desolate attitude on how her mother leaving her greatly affected her. The moment where her precious things from her mother are thrown into the station's opening effectively show how heartbroken Yase's is. The scene where she looks at all the personal things that were related to her mother conveys a strong and emotional bond between Yase and her mother. The OST is really on point and just great all around. The art is just so colorful and just enjoyable to look at.

The OP and ED are great as well.

cajunator

Banned
I don't think Summer will be as problematic as some people think.

I think it will be...like every other season :O

When you spend your time gobbling down shit you forget what it's like to taste something good.

Nobody does that though.

I just find it a shame how this has started dominating the discussion about the show.

Sound! Euphonium is a phenomenal show with excellent direction, compelling source material, and generally pretty strong writing all working in tandem. It has a lot of great character interactions, a real commitment to portraying school bands in a realistic manner, and has generally been an all around great show.

But now all anyone wants to talk about is "YURI" and how Kumiko and Reina have to get together and how yuri the yuri show is. It does a disservice to the show itself.

It doesnt really. For one, it was only one episode and that was the prominent scene in it. Two it is still a show chiefly focused on the band and music. People are overreacting (again)

ibyea

Banned
The most I've seen in regards to it getting fetishized are people calling said girl sexy or some shit

I don't know what they mean in the context of AnimeGAF because I haven't been around for a long time, but I know the kind of attitude they are referring to. Similar to the way in the greatest country in the world thread where a lot of people just said Japan due to anime and stuff, but it had barely anything to do with greatness. It's this sort of weirdness/otherness filter people have that sometimes is awkward. It's not like people who do that are bad or anything, nor is that particular example I just gave terrible, there have been much worse ways people have done so. It's just awkward.

PK Gaming

I just find it a shame how this has started dominating the discussion about the show.

Sound! Euphonium is a phenomenal show with excellent direction, compelling source material, and generally pretty strong writing all working in tandem. It has a lot of great character interactions, a real commitment to portraying school bands in a realistic manner, and has generally been an all around great show.

But now all anyone wants to talk about is "YURI" and how Kumiko and Reina have to get together and how yuri the yuri show is. It does a disservice to the show itself.

Indeed. It's ultimately a show about people coming together to make music.

Romance honestly has very little to do with it, but that's all anyone ever wants to talk about. It's kind of a huge bummer.

ibyea

Banned

Romance honestly has little to do with it, but that's all anyone ever wants to talk about. It's kind of a huge bummer.

I will only talk about band stuff when ep 9 rolls around, I swear! ^_^ I do really like the band stuff, and so I do hope that episode focuses on that.

I suppose to put my feelings on this into words and try to explain things, I'll say that Kumiko and Reina's relationship is one of the more unique relationships I can think of in an anime series in quite some time. It's this weird sort of friendship, sort of rivalry, based around each of them having sort of these weird feelings for each other that are mixed between conflicting thoughts (such as the way that Kumiko both finds Reina's views on some things to be completely opposite of her own and wonders why she cares about them, but then at the same time stresses out so much about what Reina thinks of her and is always trying to clear the air). At the same time, despite them interacting with music in vastly different ways and having these conflicting images of one another, we can also see in the latest episode especially how they're both on the same wavelength on a lot of issues, and share similar worldviews on certain subjects, which is also what leads to the powerful moments in the second half of episode 8. We see that Reina can have the same level of bluntness that Kumiko has ("You know how you have a terrible personality?"), we just haven't seen that same element from her because we aren't in her head the way we are with Kumiko. Kumiko gets swept away not because she wants to make out with Reina, but because she finds herself having someone who she can interact with as an equal and be herself around. Reina sees through to the core of what makes Kumiko who she is, and says that she wants to be around that. This is a powerful thing for a person to go through, and this is something that makes me want to see more of these two interacting going forward.

To reduce this very interesting and evolving relationship to being "yuri" to me is a real tragedy.

Puruzi

Banned

Romance honestly has very little to do with it, but that's all anyone ever wants to talk about. It's kind of a huge bummer.

This is clearly not the case as you can see from the last page.

I think it partly because more people can relate to romance than can relate to being in a high school band and the process of making music and playing instruments.

Baalzebup

I dunno. Even just the general interest shown toward Thoraxes' rather awesome posts on each episode seems to show plenty of interest for the music aspects of the show. It was episode 8 that brought the truckload of Yuri-talk on the table.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

I'm honestly not sure how saying the characters are "canonically straight" made you sick. That's just a statement from the source material.

You're firmly planting your flag on the moral high ground here, but I'm not even sure why. Honestly, I haven't seen a single post that suggests anyone here has a problem with the portrayal of LGBT relationships in anime. What I do see is people saying they don't like clearly exploitative portrayals of same sex relationships. Which is also what you're apparently saying, but you're also angry at everyone for it. So I don't even know. I think you're overreacting.

Jarmel

Banned
I suppose to put my feelings on this into words and try to explain things, I'll say that Kumiko and Reina's relationship is one of the more unique relationships I can think of in an anime series in quite some time. It's this weird sort of friendship, sort of rivalry, based around each of them having sort of these weird feelings for each other that are mixed between conflicting thoughts (such as the way that Kumiko both finds Reina's views on some things to be completely opposite of her own and wonders why she cares about them, but then at the same time stresses out so much about what Reina thinks of her and is always trying to clear the air). At the same time, despite them interacting with music in vastly different ways and having these conflicting images of one another, we can also see in the latest episode especially how they're both on the same wavelength on a lot of issues, and share similar worldviews on certain subjects, which is also what leads to the powerful moments in the second half of episode 8. We see that Reina can have the same level of bluntness that Kumiko has ("You know how you have a terrible personality?"), we just haven't seen that same element from her because we aren't in her head the way we are with Kumiko. Kumiko gets swept away not because she wants to make out with Reina, but because she finds herself having someone who she can interact with as an equal and be herself around. Reina sees through to the core of what makes Kumiko who she is, and says that she wants to be around that. This is a powerful thing for a person to go through, and this is something that makes me want to see more of these two interacting going forward.

To reduce this very interesting and evolving relationship to being "yuri" to me is a real tragedy.

It's more an issue of direction rather than writing. Some of the visual cues feel unnecessary.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
I'm honestly not sure how saying the characters are "canonically straight" made you sick. That's just a statement from the source material.

You're firmly planting your flag on the moral high ground here, but I'm not even sure why. Honestly, I haven't seen a single post that suggests anyone here has a problem with the portrayal of LGBT relationships in anime. What I do see is people saying they don't like clearly exploitative portrayals of same sex relationships. Which is also what you're apparently saying, but you're also angry at everyone for it. So I don't even know.

i think you missed the whole reason this started, where people who relish those exploitative potrayals now lack the ability to see anything outside of that lens, and so assume all depictions of same sex relationships are by nature exploitative and were becoming actively upset at the possibility some of them might not be.

Crocodile

I've just been observing this conversation because as someone who isn't watching Euphiuem (sp?)I didn't feel particularly qualified to participate because I couldn't reference the show to bolster or weaken any particular point. I speak up because I think the assertion that sexuality isn't binary is interesting not just because its fucking true but does a good job an demonstrating how much compartmentalization has gone on in a lot of anime and entertainment media. It makes it easier to digest and sell in part because its not challenging. Writing complex, human relationships is hard and oftentimes hard to sell too and quality, believable relationships suffer - you just don't see them in a lot of anime (or elsewhere).

The conversation is also kind of frustrating to me because I don't have a good understanding of how sexuality plays out in normal Japanese culture. Like the impression I've gotten, and I could be off mark so if someone has literature that speaks to the opposite please share it, is that homosexuality is still not widely accepted (is gay marriage legal in Japan?) in Japan and unlike the US, there isn't a loud movement to pull the parts of the country that are lagging behind into the 21st century even if they're kicking and screaming. (Again I could be talking out of my asshole here). Yet the country seems to produce so much material that focuses on homosexual relationships (overt or implied) that it can't all be for the consumption of straight audiences right?

Blah I feel like I'm rambling without a coherent point :(

This has always been an issue and it extends beyond anime into real life. Its the basis for things like "Yellow Fever". Reducing women (or men) to a single attribute to fauna and obsess over and exclamations of "exotic" are......less than ideal. It gets extra weird in anime since so often, for the sake of easy animation, character designs become so simplified and somewhat homogenous that the only difference between characters may be skin color whereas in real life, people aren't just shades different from each other. It's similar to how many anime characters have crazy hair colors because the designs are so simple that they only way to distinguish them easily is to give them wildly different hair colors.

Like half this industry is fetishes. Brown girls are damn rare, I wish there was more of them.

I have to figure its due to the homogeneity of Japanese society but I feel in general the range of represented ethnicites in anime tends to be very narrow, even in fantastical worlds or any location that its not Japan or "notJapan". Per individual title its usually not an issue but over the macro-scale its kind of annoying :/

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
i think you missed the whole reason this started, where people who relish those exploitative potrayals now lack the ability to see anything outside of that lens, and so assume all depictions of same sex relationships are by nature exploitative and were becoming actively upset at the possibility some of them might not be.

If I'm misunderstanding, I apologize.

PK Gaming

Ah sorry, that... that post came out wrong

Didn't mean to condescend to you guys... I should have elaborated that I meant in general. The discussion here honestly hasn't been all that bad... minus the whole ad hominem thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom