• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2015 |OT| The Disappearance of YEAARRT!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, that is just for episode 8, though, isn't it? It's only for one episode. I mean I am pretty sure once episode 9 rolls around we will get to the awesome band stuff.

I'm sure the show will (and Episode 8 was a great episode, don't get me wrong). But it seems like a lot of people in this thread now are only focused on how yuri everything is, and how the show is 100% going to put Kumiko and Reina together regardless of the novels, and how it's the greatest yuri show ever, and what have you.

I don't see that going away in four days time.

ibyea

Banned
I'm sure the show will (and Episode 8 was a great episode, don't get me wrong). But it seems like a lot of people in this thread now are only focused on how yuri everything is, and how the show is 100% going to put Kumiko and Reina together regardless of the novels, and how it's the greatest yuri show ever, and what have you.

I don't see that going away in four days time.

I don't see that as the argument people have put out. Who actually said this is the best yuri show ever? More of a, is this just going to be some pandering bullshit or not?

I'd like to believe thats not the case :/

Honestly, I gotta retract my statement concerning the subreddit. Checked the last 4 episode discussion threads and there wasn't quite that much yuri actually. There was a bunch for ep8 but still less than expected.

I suppose I've gotten too jaded! Oh well, am positively surprised at least.

Kyousougiga Episode 1

r0uyxc1.jpg

Is this really from Toei because I feel like I'm hallucinating.

The art and direction is absolutely stunning with the setting full of vibrancy and creativity. The way each scene is cleverly handled and transitioned is truly brilliant. I just love how the camera is handled as well especially how it zooms out and zooms in. The direction is really similar to how Kekkai Sensen is handled, you can definitely tell it's directed by Matsumoto Rie. As for the story it's interesting so far with the Priest being unhappy and finally finding love and a family, to only leave them due to some troubling circumstances. Also this series does have a lot of Buddhist influence.

Even if it's just the first episode I think I'm completely in love with this series.

cajunator

Banned
*looks at summer chart*

"·Ecchi... ·Ecchi... ·Ecchi... ·Ecchi"

|OT| Everyone is in Prison by Fall

#notallanime

no you don't understand, i'm promised fuwa fuwa yuri waifus now and i don't get it by gawd and country there will be RIOTS and it's only Kyoani's fault for adapting the novels too well if i don't get anything after all that yuri pandering leading me on

KyoAni put it in there. It wasnt some sort of otaku driven demand pressure.

Kyousougiga Episode 1

The art and direction is absolutely stunning with the setting full of vibrancy and creativity. The way each scene is cleverly handled and transitioned is truly brilliant. I just love how the camera is handled as well especially how it zooms out and zooms in. The direction is really similar to how Kekkai Sensen is handled, you can definitely tell it's directed by Matsumoto Rie. As for the story it's interesting so far with the Priest being unhappy and finally finding love and a family, to only leave them due to some troubling circumstances. Also this series does have a lot of Buddhist influence.

Even if it's just the first episode I think I'm completely in love with this series.

You done good!

And yeh the 'camera direction' is absolutely excellent. Unlike Kekkai Sensen the budget is also there to support some darn good animation throughout (or they worked more efficient).

edit:
Just watched the first 10min of Kung Fury and I'll finally have to get some sleep but...hot damn is it good. I'm usually not someone to like these purposely corny nostalgia attempts but dayum if I'm not impressed. The production value for this first third is higher than expected too.

ibyea

Banned
Hmm, reading the summer charts nothing stands out to me. Although I heard Gatchaman Crowds was good. I think I will catch up season 1 after Yona of the Dawn.

VRMN

While the yuri-outcry is...stupid it's honestly expected by the average anime viewerbase which is just kinda pathetic. I mean, you look at any /r/anime Hibike! episode discussion thread and I'm sure 80% of the top comments are about just yuri. And some of that could have been avoided if the directors toned down a bunch of these rather overt yuri hints with random blushing or half of what happened last episode.

I'm simply not sure if that's part of Reina's characterization or if they really just wanted to actively pander due the demographic that eats this up.

Either way I'll agree with everyone who says its getting obnoxious how that's become the focus for many people when it's like the least best thing about the show. Though there's plenty here who don't do that at least and I felt like we got a lot good discussion going on about Hibike! so far.

I find the outcry stupid for a more simple reason. People seem to be assuming it's KyoAni amping up a minor element in the books. But the element is in the books.

Probable spoilers for a future Euphonium episode: http://www.kitakubu.co/2015/05/the-hibike-euphonium-novels-were-also-yurilicious/

Yona of the Dawn 20-22
In which the group carries out a plan to rescue the victims of human trafficking and kill Yum Kumji. Damn, Yona's first kill was amazing. I really liked these episodes.

Amazing is the less expressive word for that kill.but i agree with you.
The difference between yona at ep 1 and yona at ep 22 is superb

ibyea

Banned
Yona of the Dawn 23
Gosh intro still sucks.

Man, Soo Won is a bit of a jerk, isn't he? But then again, I don't think any explanation is going to make the fact that he killed her father better. I just wish I could know why that was the only choice he had.

Anyways, heartwarming end to the pirate saga and the green dragon joins on his own volition. Gosh, only one episode left. I am going to cry like all the characters here did! ^_^

Btw, I would like to take a moment to comment on its comedy. It doesn't always work, but in most cases it's actually funny, which I thought it wouldn't be based on my experience with these kind of comedies in anime. Love the levity it brought to this episode.

ibyea

Banned
Amazing is the less expressive word for that kill.but i agree with you.
The difference between yona at ep 1 and yona at ep 22 is superb

I don't know what word I should choose, but man that moment was so freaking awesome I was speechless. She got the awesomest scene of the series considering how she started out. I am very happy to say this show exceeded my expectation. Yona is an amazing protagonist and in many ways stand equal to her physically much stronger partners. This is how a strong woman should be written.

sonicmj1

UsPNslf.png

Platonic!

If I believed everything I saw in promo images, I'd think Shirobako was a shade less lewd than To Love Ru.

I pretty much laid out what I felt that scene was trying to communicate in my earlier impressions post about that episode, so I don't want to rehash it too much. But I think that people reading it as a surefire representation of blooming yuri romance are missing the mark. I can't blame them too much, because most shows wouldn't have the confidence to tread the line this cleanly, or have characters talk in such a naturalistic, indirect way.

The metaphor Kumiko uses to describe Kousaka, the "Yuki Onna", the snow maiden that lures travelers to their doom, is pretty instructive here. Kousaka has an almost supernatural presence that pulls Kumiko along. And it's not really her beauty. The camera largely avoids putting her in a sexual light when it shoots from Kumiko's perspective (only the part with her finger on Kumiko's forehead seems to cross that line). But it's Kousaka's confidence and maturity, the absolute conviction with which she sets out to do this absurd thing on the day of the festival, that Kumiko can't really resist. It's the same part of her personality that so shocked Kumiko when they failed to reach Nationals in middle school.

And the way Kousaka dresses up for this event plays into everything she's saying about herself. She wants to set herself apart from everyone else at school. She wants to be special. That's why she plays the trumpet, but that's also why she's wearing high heels and a classy dress to a mountain hike, and it's why she prefers that second shrine to the one before it. She wants to appear more mature, more adult, and more capable than the rest. The pain of setting herself apart is worth it if it makes her special.

The whole climb is a very intimate event for the two characters, and it draws them much closer to each other emotionally, a moment of connection only they experienced. But that doesn't make it necessarily romantic, and the show takes care to keep the two from being too close when they play.

I can certainly think of friends I have who I'd carry a euphonium up a mountain for in a totally platonic way. Those moments of connection are priceless, even if they don't lead to sex. Is that so unusual? Do people actually think Kousaka is serious when she's talking about "confessions of love"? Because Kumiko sure doesn't, and she knows Kousaka better than any of us.

57ROXH9.jpg
vlhC3oY.jpg

Their shadows are next to each other, but they don't overlap. Why? Because they're two separate people who aren't romantically entwined.

Take the show as it is. It's weird to see people saddling it with these expectations that they know it won't meet so they can get mad at KyoAni for not being progressive enough to include a homosexual couple after a scene like this, because it subverts a scene that's already beautiful, touching, and well-directed in its own right.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Apparently I'm crazy here, but I don't understand how KyoAni now owes everyone a confirmed lesbian pairing, and they would somehow be homophobic if they don't follow through. That scene was still plenty meaningful in its own right, even if it "only" makes them very close friends.

In a word, yes, actually they do because that is where the narrative decided to go. Reversing course for this duo would be an emotional betrayal of the characters. Also, hideously offensive because the main reason the other attractions win is because they are male and thus the "right" and "proper" choice. Indeed, I will point out that the other romantic paths are over a teacher that has barely been touched upon and a guy that one of the characters can barely stand. So all and all I think I will be pissed if Kyoto Animation decided to do what people are suspecting them to do since it becomes just more yuribaiting.

Kyousougiga Episode 2

bB7lq1A.jpg

I'm really loving the relationship between Koto and Sensei.

Once again this episode was full of energy. I just loved how energetic and full of personality Koto is. It just makes her character so enjoyable to watch. Plus her Voice actor Rie is doing a great job. As for the story it seems Black rabbit is still around and watching over Sensei (the priest), which makes me wonder why Koto's (little girl) name is the same as the Black rabbit hmmm. Anyways it seems things are starting get going considering Koto is in the place where all of Sensei's family is. I can't wait for the interactions to come.

Also I have to mention the transitions in this episode where Koto had to walk up the stairs was splendid. It made the scene atmospheric and a bit distant. The direction helped convey a detached atmosphere which I thought was clever.

sonicmj1

If this scene was shot like that novel excerpt was written, I would be way more conflicted.

In a word, yes, actually they do because that is where the narrative decided to go. Reversing course for this duo would be an emotional betrayal of the characters.

How would not having them become a couple be "reversing" anything? This scene didn't make them a couple.

Also, hideously offensive because the main reason the other attractions win is because they are male and thus the "right" and "proper" choice. Indeed, I will point out that the other romantic paths are over a teacher that has barely been touched upon and a guy that one of the characters can barely stand. So all and all I think I will be pissed if Kyoto Animation decided to do what people are suspecting them to do since it becomes just more yuribaiting.

If those characters find heterosexual partners, you and I have no idea how that process will play out. Why are you jumping the gun like this?

Kumiko's outwardly dismissive attitude towards Shinichi isn't a display of loathing anyway. It reflects how familiar they are, what with their being childhood friends. If she didn't like him at all, she wouldn't hang out at the lake talking with him.

Are you watching good anime or bragging about watching good anime

Why can't it be both?

Joking aside I don't know why but Soma's adaption feels a bit bland and dull compared to the manga for some reason. I don't know if it has to do with Tosh's absent art or if JC Staff's direction feels a bit uninspired. I mean I really like the manga but the anime for some reason is just not doing it for me. Don't hate it just a bit meh to okay with it.

As for DanMachi you know the reason why.

Kumiko's outwardly dismissive attitude towards Shinichi isn't a display of loathing anyway. It reflects how familiar they are, what with their being childhood friends. If she didn't like him at all, she wouldn't hang out at the lake talking with him.

It's also of note that she behaves quite similarly with him as she does to her family. And if she were truly as dismissive of him as she usually acts, then I don't see why she needed to go in such a roundabout fashion of pretending to already have plans and not just bluntly rejecting him. It's not substantial enough to hint at any romance, but it's enjoyable and refreshing seeing this kind of childhood friendship.

ibyea

Banned
Yona of the Dawn End
The yellow dragon finds them in this case, but that is trivial in comparison to what else happened, and honestly so far I don't give a damn about him.

Yona resolves herself for two things. One, that Hak wouldn't just be her shield anymore, because she has the right to be just as concerned about him as he is about her. Two, she decisively breaks off from her father's wish for her to not hold her weapon, in addition seeing that as much as he had good intentions, he preferred order over justice. And so she vows to become a wandering superhero to help as many people as she can. With this, her transformation into a warrior is complete.

That music they used to end the show, btw, was glorious. I wish the second intro was one hundredth as cool as this song. *gag at thought of the intro*

I hope they renew a second season because I really want to see her superheroing.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
If this scene was shot like that novel excerpt was written, I would be way more conflicted.

How would not having them become a couple be "reversing" anything? This scene didn't make them a couple.

If those characters find heterosexual partners, you and I have no idea how that process will play out. Why are you jumping the gun like this?

Going to stop you right there for a few reasons. first off even if Episode 8 doesn't have them becoming a couple becoming a couple they are clearly working their way to a romantic coupling and thus my assertion about things being an emotional betrayal or the narrative still stands. Shinichi may be more problematic then you might think I am not sure how much I can discuss because I forget if certain things have reached a certain point Finally, let me address the meta-narrative, what you are doing here is the atypical response when it comes to coded gay and lesbian couples, keep it vague enough, keep the hetero door open just wide enough for plausible deniability. I have seen that way too many times and I have no tolerance for it anymore.

cajunator

Banned
While the yuri-outcry is...stupid it's honestly expected by the average anime viewerbase which is just kinda pathetic. I mean, you look at any /r/anime Hibike! episode discussion thread and I'm sure 80% of the top comments are about just yuri. And some of that could have been avoided if the directors toned down a bunch of these rather overt yuri hints with random blushing or half of what happened last episode.

I'm simply not sure if that's part of Reina's characterization or if they really just wanted to actively pander due the demographic that eats this up.

Either way I'll agree with everyone who says its getting obnoxious how that's become the focus for many people when it's like the least best thing about the show. Though there's plenty here who don't do that at least and I felt like we got a lot good discussion going on about Hibike! so far.

The original novels apparently had yuri in it so who are we to argue? The signs were there early on. In any case, the show is about high school band and thats its focus, but the other element has been there all along.

I don't know if anyone will have as glorious a victory over a thread as cajun did a few years back.

Even after that ban he came back to be number 1.

Hehee
I remember that! Good times.

Based Feel once again nailing those crucial moments.

Embarrassed Hikki a cute.

And those jealously stares were better than I imagined.

Gotta say my prediction did fall flat for where it would end.

Thought it would've been on the ride home, but I guess they're saving that for next time.

Suddenly Im really interested..m-mofu

ibyea

Banned
Guys, what are the news regarding Yona of the Dawn? Is there gonna be a second season? I will be so upset if there isn't.

Why can't it be both?
Joking aside I don't know why but Soma's adaption feels a bit bland and dull compared to the manga for some reason. I don't know if it has to do with Tosh's absent art or if JC Staff's direction feels a bit uninspired. I mean I really like the manga but the anime for some reason is just not doing it for me. Don't hate it just a bit meh to okay with it.

As for DanMachi you know the reason why.

I think the Soma adaptation is pretty good, I expected it to be just middling but it's fun as hell.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
The original novels apparently had yuri in it so who are we to argue? The signs were there early on. In any case, the show is about high school band and thats its focus, but the other element has been there all along.

An anime where the shipping aspect dominates the discussion over all else? Perish the though Cajuniator.

Aldnoah Zero - 13

So...............everyone survives getting shot. OK then.

Get ready for an entire season filled with equally dumb contrivances. It's really not worth it.

The best thing about S2 of A/Z is me and sonicmj constantly talking about it's flaws all the time. We are truly bros bounded (lol) by Nana to Kaoru.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom