• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2014 Anime |OT2| about as likely as a second season of Hyouka

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fixed that all for you.

You know who has hands? The devil. And he uses them for holding things.

mods plz set this as woofington's avatar next time he gets out of line. tia

If you want somebody to learn a lesson you don't do this. It only makes them die inside little by little. And grow even more spiteful. And start writing lists. And licking knives with a crazy face to show you how evil they are.

And also hug your love interest because you killed someone and when he/she rejects you because that was fucked up, you go full psycho about how you're the evil and that whatever I didn't want to be with you anyways.

What kind of games are you guys playing currently, if any?

I'm wary of leaving my psn id online but this will be an exception.

I'm juggling a lot of games.

Max Payne 3, Ultra Street Fighter IV, Murdered: Soul Suspect, Bravely Default, Dragon's Dogma Dark Arisen and Final Fantasy XIII (I will beat this game, once and for all.)

I also plan on starting Dragon Age II sometime because reasons I haven't thought of yet

Akagi 15

Washizu seems pretty entertaining, and also a typical Fukumoto villain. He even says the old FKMT classic of "MONEY YOU COULD NOT GET EVEN IF YOU WORKED ALL YOUR LIFE!"

I doubt that he will be as entertaining (and hateable) as Hyodo, but a gamble using literal blood money sounds interesting.

/XX/

Yamato is an amazing series but you raise a valid point that is often overlooked. The series has several notably embarrassing fan service shots that just weren't needed.....just like the heels and the girls wearing skin tight suits.
It's not totally their fault on this (a project for the new generation), because we have to understand that all it was there for the sake of consistency of tone and aim with the previous work... all just for consistency I say! :p

I can back this up, guys:

Tim Eldred said:
Izubuchi: Chapter 2 consists of Episodes 3-6, and both the character story and the mecha story will be abundant.

First off, when all’s said and done regarding the first warp, we’re experimenting with a visual approach on the warp-in and warp-out that’s different from the old productions. When I talk about the warp in Yamato, I’m asked “Will Yuki’s clothing disappear?” (laughs) and I say that will also look different from the original. Initially I thought about whether or not it was simple [fan] service, whether or not it was necessary to show it, but even I wanted it to happen. (Laughs)

Then Shinji Higuchi, who drew the storyboard, said “There is a consistency to it. Because even Yamato becomes transparent during the warp, the clothing of the humans inside it would also be transparent!” (Laughs)
http://ourstarblazers.com/vault/99/

What kind of games are you guys playing currently, if any?

I'm wary of leaving my psn id online but this will be an exception.
P4A even though I am god awful at it. Atelier Ayesha, Uncharted 2.

Playing a lot of different games on Steam right now, Shovel Knight is the focus though.

I think it's pretty amusing how Levine went from sympathetic little girl characters in Bioshock into creating a full blown Disney princess lead in Bioshock Infinite. Complete with the ham-fisted character arc. Lol.

Every game he makes I get a feeling that he doesn't want to make it a shooter, but the market and the bosses demand he does. Didn't he leave the studio behind to open an indie one? Makes complete sense. Now he can make his story-driven game without having to add PEW PEW KAPOW BOOM sections.

And yes, Elizabeth felt like a Disney Princess. I'm surprised she didn't start singing and a group of fluffy animals and birds started to do her bidding. Well one beast responded at least.

duckroll

Every game he makes I get a feeling that he doesn't want to make it a shooter, but the market and the bosses demand he does. Didn't he leave the studio behind to open an indie one? Makes complete sense. Now he can make his story-driven game without having to add PEW PEW KAPOW BOOM sections.

And yes, Elizabeth felt like a Disney Princess. I'm surprised she didn't start singing and a group of fluffy animals and birds started to do her bidding. Well one beast responded at least.

I thought he's still at Irrational, but that they've scaled down into indie size and fired everyone else. Presumably Take2 will still be funding whatever he does next but it won't cost a gazillion dollars? I dunno. Might make a LTTP thread if I have more time to think about the game and feel there's anything worth saying.

Syrinx

I thought he's still at Irrational, but that they've scaled down into indie size and fired everyone else. Presumably Take2 will still be funding whatever he does next but it won't cost a gazillion dollars? I dunno. Might make a LTTP thread if I have more time to think about the game and feel there's anything worth saying.

I'm pretty sure he (and most everybody else) left.

Well, she did do a lot of singing and dancing.

He is still at Irrational I believe, but yes they have scaled down to like 10% of the employees.

http://irrationalgames.com/new-featured/a-message-from-ken-levine-2/

"So I can make the games I want to make, I am leaving the studio and causing a lot of people that worked their asses off to help me create these games to lose their jobs because Take2 has no confidence in them without me, but at least 15 of us will be happy #YOLO #SWAG

-Ken Levine"

wonzo

Banned
Utena feels very much built for psychoanalysis, and at best I am the undergrad douche who can only muster up things like "the sword is a phallus". I'm not sure how qualified I am to look into the psychological realism (and horror) of the show. Certainly it's all there, and the idea of a confession booth being used to turn someone into their id is fascinating... but that's about all I can contribute at the moment. lol
good thing p. much everything is a phallus in utena!

Hattori

Banned
JOWV7N0.jpg
Has this been proven or disproven?

duckroll

http://irrationalgames.com/new-featured/a-message-from-ken-levine-2/

"So I can make the games I want to make, I am leaving the studio and causing a lot of people that worked their asses off to help me create these games to lose their jobs because Take2 has no confidence in them without me, but at least 15 of us will be happy #YOLO #SWAG

-Ken Levine"

"I am winding down Irrational Games as you know it. I’ll be starting a smaller, more entrepreneurial endeavor at Take-Two."

It's still called Irrational, but they're killing AAA development.

I've heard about that, but considering there wasn't a shitstorm then I guess nothing came of it. Similarly in the topic of Simpsons Did It, did Disney ever get in trouble because Atlantis basically ripped off that really old anime?

"I am winding down Irrational Games as you know it. I’ll be starting a smaller, more entrepreneurial endeavor at Take-Two."

It's still called Irrational, but they're killing AAA development.

Tbh I'll prefer his games without the forced arcade shooter aspects. I just felt bad for all of those that lost their jobs because, I'm sure they found jobs elsewhere though.

jbug617

Banned
Another CR show
The latest addition to Crunchyroll's summer anime lineup is Locodol! The series kicks off on July 3 at 12:00pm Pacific Time for premium members, with free members able to watch one week later.

Locodol will be available worldwide excluding Asia.

Hattori

Banned
I've heard about that, but considering there wasn't a shitstorm then I guess nothing came of it. Similarly in the topic of Simpsons Did It, did Disney ever get in trouble because Atlantis basically ripped off that really old anime?

Tbh I'll prefer his games without the forced arcade shooter aspects. I just felt bad for all of those that lost their jobs because, I'm sure they found jobs elsewhere though.
Which one? Nadia?

duckroll

In the end, culture and entertainment has grown to a point where almost everything is a "rip off" of something. It's silly to get hung up on inspirations, intended or subconscious, and better to focus on actual execution and intent.

Superflat

Another CR show

Looking forward to Locodol. Looks like it could be in the Wake Up Girls vein of idol anime, which is to say a fairly grounded portrayal of a small-time idol group.

edit:

And while I'm talking about the Summer season, Rail Wars is somehow my most anticipated, despite knowing almost nothing about it. Damn attractive redheads and trains.

/XX/

Has this been proven or disproven?
Did ponpo end up purchasing that volume of S-F Magazine? His testimonial of what exactly is the short-story featured on that cover could have been clarifying.

Which one? Nadia?
I think so. Never seen the anime but I remember reading a point by point deconstruction and I was surprised how much they got away with.
Why bother when not even a TV & radio broadcaster backed by a national government wants to mess with such a big multinational corporation:

Anime Tourist - Gainax: Past said:
Mr. Akai: When Atlantis got released, NHK actually asked them what exactly they thought about Nadia. They were kind of puzzled because they are kind of a subsidiary and it was not like they had any kind of decision making power. So they were mystified as to why NHK bothers asking them.

On the internet, there was a lot of talk about how Atlantis was so similar to Nadia. Of course, Disney says that they have never seen or heard of a series called Nadia. NHK came to Gainax because of this and asked them how they felt about this implication that Disney was plagiarizing the series. They didn't really have anything to say because they weren't the parent corporation. It was not like they had any rights anyways.

Mr. Yamaga: We actually tried to get NHK to pick a fight with Disney, {Laughter} but even the National Television Network of Japan didn't dare to mess with Disney and their lawyers. What we said to them was, this really had nothing to do with us but if it did we would definitely take them to court. Of course, it is all a lie. We actually did say that but we wouldn't actually take them to court. We would be so terrified about what they would do to them in return that we wouldn't dare.
http://web.archive.org/web/20040101025405/http://www.anime-tourist.com/article.php?sid=299

If this were an anime the Japanese would get into mechs and defeat the evil western Mickey Mouse lawyers with pure friendship and will to battle, because nobody else has that besides the Japanese.

Syrinx

Ranma 1/2 9

That was pretty shitty for Akane to get her hair cut when she was so hopeful that her growing her hair long like Kasumi would make Dr. Tofu fall for her. Still, it did lead to her start to deal with her feelings and come to terms with Dr. Tofu being in love with Kasumi instead of her, and that no matter what she did with her hair, that was not going to change.

Still, it does annoy me a bit how ready Ryouga was to get right back into fighting Ranma after that happened. I guess he doesn't understand what Akane was feeling and doing with her hair, but still, that nearly killed her. You'd think after he nearly killed or at least seriously injured an innocent bystander, he'd start to step back a bit and say "Whoa, maybe we'd better tone this down". But nope, seems his anger with Ranma is even greater than that. Also turns out he's angry at Ranma because he followed him to China and got cursed too, except he turns into a guinea pig when he gets wet. I had thought that this was what was going on with him, but after he escaped the fountain in the previous episode I had written it off, forgetting about his jaws-of-steel umbrella.

Funny how Ranma thought that dog was Ryouga. The thing had the ultimate derp look on his face.

-Minsc-

I don't think people are necessarily bothered by others saying Cowboy Bebop is their favorite anime. It sounds more like people are bothered by the idea that nothing is as good as Cowboy Bebop when they think otherwise.

It's been awhile, I should re-watch Cowboy Bebop one of these days.

While I'd no longer consider Cowboy Bebop my favourite anime, it'll always hold a special place. This was the first anime series I bought to completion (individual discs yo!). Back twelve to thirteen years ago I had seen no other anime like it. Cowboy Bebop was just what this, then, early twenty-something needed. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom