• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2014 Tokyo MX, er, Anime |OT1.5| ORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORA

Status
Not open for further replies.

cnet128

Banned
Akuma no Riddle 3

Tokaku, for all that you were (rightly) reprimanding Haru for her carelessness in the first half of this episode, you didn't exactly do the most effective job of protecting her yourself when it came down to it. I guess you have an excuse, since you were convinced nobody had sent their murder note yet, but still.

iWE9t4Mc1r835.gif

wjgRn02.gif

I wanna protect her smile bruh~

That maraca scene was so cute but I dont want to spoil it for those who havent seen it yet

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya 7

Thoughts during episode:

- How many times are you gonna use the word Melancholy, Kyon?
- Kyon is jealous. Bout time.
- Haruhi is awesome.
- At this point I am starting to be inclined to agree with gigguk's review on this show.
- Hahahaha. Well you can't deny it's a funny show.
- Haruhi's smirks and grins are the best. I just love it when anime characters do that I don't know why.
- This obsession with Canada is funny.
- LMAO.
- Poor Mikuru. She's an angel. But I love it when Haruhi messes with her.
- Okay this is not Haruhi's strong point. It is dumping a lot of information. Clearly the best part of this show is Haruhi's antics not..... this.
- This CG Cricket is bad.

Summary:

So I really agree with gigguk's review to an extent. The show itself and the story aren't really it's strong qualities. Haruhi's antics hold it all together. Without it, it would just be a huge convoluted mess of a story with a boring MC. Haruhi and her antics are the only thing driving me to keep going.

I know there are a lot of Haruhi supporters on here and I can get why. It's a funny show, but Kyon is unbearable and the actual story leaves much to be desired. Hopefully The Disappearance is worth all this.

WAT. Kyon is awesome. I sincerely hope you watch Disappearance afterwards because Kyon is even better in that.

survivor

Banned
Atelier is fun, but it really does feel like RPG quests adapted to 20 minute stories. It reminds me a bit of Tanken Driland, actually. Genki girls make anything work. lol

Yeah the latest episode felt pretty much like a JRPG sidequest being animated. Oh well, watching the anime is still better than playing the game fully knowing I will never get far in it.

Andrew J.

Non Non Biyori 10

That was...unexpected. Renge and Candy Store didn't really need some kind of secret history, but it was sweet anyway.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Yea, overall Nananananana is been pretty mediocre at best but that was still a better experience for me this week then the unfiltered nihilism that Face bombarded me with this week. When a show uses the line "Ping-Pong and English are just things I do to fill time before I die" that is something that immediately ends up on my shit list, end of story. In fact, it is a testament to the overall quality of Ping Pong The Animation because a lesser show would have been dropped on the spot because I seriously hate such fatalistic attitudes that I had a better time watching the quasi-tolerable antics of the dime store Indiana Jones anime this week. Maybe next week we will get more of China, him I like.
Nihilistic =/= fatalistic. I don't think either is really a good fit for Smile either. In the case of the line you're quoting it's important to take it in greater context. Smile doesn't dislike Ping Pong, but he sees it as a hobby rather than something he wants to take seriously. Part of this is a certain fragility that exists within Smile. In some ways he is actually a remarkably caring person who has come to fear success because it comes at the expense of another. This is why he is always losing to Peco.

These two lines are some of the most important in the episode:

The entire episode and the match with the coach is supposed to agitate Smile, and to put Smile in a position where the stakes dictate self preservation and personal growth. At that point he can no longer accommodate the feelings of others, and we get this amazing moment where
Smile's competitive spirit awakens.

cajunator

Banned

OH MY GOD IM GOING TO DIE

Aw man, another one is going to fall victim.

Man, am I in a minority with people who hate this movie? Like, I can understand why others like the third movie in terms of its storytelling, but it is NOT something I recommend to those who love everything about the franchise. It feels like a needless slap in the face to fans honestly.

You know how much I dislike Rebellion? I appreciate it as much as Corvo appreciates E7AO. Yeah. That much.

I'm not gonna hold it against you if you like it though.

Honestly I didnt feel that way at all about it. I know its a definite branch off the original story and Im well aware of its purpose for existing, but as a standalone possibility I think it has merit. That could technically happen in Madoka's world and by the look of things at the end of the series it very well could have.

Chaika - Episode 2

I'm enjoying this. The action is well directed, even if the animation in this episode is nothing particularly impressive the way it was storyboarded was pretty fun to watch. I like the setting and characters too, mostly because it literally is Scrapped Princess all over again. I loved that show, but I think the author can probably only write one type of story. It's the same stuff all over again - ancient prophecy, princess with the power to change the world, princess is an innocent girl who wants something mundane and peaceful, protected by two older siblings who are super powerful, the whole world wants to kill the princess, their quest will lead them to uncover the "truth" of the world, etc. Oh and while everyone in Scrapped Princess was named after a gun or something, everyone here is named after a car. It's hilarious.

Sure there's nothing particularly original about this show, but I think there's generally a lack of fantasy anime these days which are as "generic" as the tone here, which actually makes it feel unique, ironically. It's like watching Lodoss. I guess that's why I loved Scrapped Princess too, even with all the crazy meta-world stuff and technological twists later on. It was at the core a very traditional fantasy story, all the way to the end. Hopefully we'll get the same thing here!

Regarding the cars thing, when I saw "Acura" I immediately thought of this but havent really caught onto the names in this case so hadnt yet put it together. But Magic Knight Rayearth gave car names to EVERYONE, even naming something after a supercar.

...I can't believe I didn't notice that. Trabant, Acura, Gaz...

(Well, personally I'm finding more than one show I really enjoy per season, though that aside...)

Admittedly, that's true, but part of it for me is just a matter of access and available time to put in the effort for it. Like, if someone handed me a DVD of Millenium Actress and told me to give it a watch over the weekend or some anime club was screening it, I'd probably be able to do that no problem. But on my own initiative I can't be bothered since I feel like I've got enough on my plate already.
Again, not a slight against your or your list, that's just how it is for me.

I sort of noted the same thing in one of my other posts just above the one you quoted for this, but anyway I just want to be able discuss something and help drive conversation, to respond and be responded to. Relaying news was just the simplest form of that but I'm trying to branch out more now.

Dude, I will buy you a copy of millennium Actress. I want people to watch it.

By the way, I don't want to quote all of them but MikeHattsu's travelouge posts have been fun to read.

Well, that's neat.

U-uu.
(I might even like Yayo's u-uu better than Yayoi's.)

she sounds like my camera during auto-focus

Articalys

Articalys's stand is Sun Girl, capable of copying positions! Rank: B
ALL THE POSES
Well, this would certainly work better than a diary.

Source
Saw that a few days ago; the artist did a good job of matching the series' art style.
Dude, I will buy you a copy of millennium Actress. I want people to watch it.
Well, I actually just took initiative and found it in my local library system, so I put in an inter-library loan request. Should be able to watch it by this point next week hopefully.

And hey, I'm caught up with the thread again!

cajunator

Banned
ALL THE POSES

Saw that a few days ago; the artist did a good job of matching the series' art style.

Well, I actually just took initiative and found it in my local library system, so I put in an inter-library loan request. Should be able to watch it by this point next week hopefully..

You wont be disappointed.

Madoka Magica 2

The character interactions are pretty great with Sayaka and Madoka. Though I got to say the music and the battle scene were really blended nicely in this episode like the music was really catchy, will battle scenes be like this? I have to ask though, were the monsters that look like paper shown like this for an artistic view including the environment or are their reasons why they look like this.

Madoka Magica 2

The character interactions are pretty great with Sayaka and Madoka. Though I got to say the music and the battle scene were really blended nicely in this episode like the music was really catchy, will battle scenes be like this? I have to ask though, were the monsters that look like paper shown like this for an artistic view including the environment or are their reasons why they look like this.

It was for artistry but it looks cool nonetheless. And the battle theme is quite catchy.

cajunator

Banned
Madoka Magica 2

Yes thats how battles look in Madoka Magica and its an art choice but it works well to show the illusionary world of the witches domains.

Why are people watching TV Madoka when the movies exist?

because fuck the first two movies lol.

Space Brothers 90:
Gates is absolutely terrible. I really want someone to shut that smug bastard up. You can do it, Hibito!

I loved the way this episode kept cutting back between the past and present, and the usage of the recurring motif of the mirror as a way to both tie things together and probe further into the characters. It all goes back to Mutta and Hibito playing around with perspective as a kid, and then from that, the idea of being able to look at yourself from a different angle and have an objective view of whatever your problems are.

Why are people watching TV Madoka when the movies exist?

Because the TV version is still the superior way to watch the show, even though the first two movies do a pretty good job of telling the story.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Yeah the latest episode felt pretty much like a JRPG sidequest being animated. Oh well, watching the anime is still better than playing the game fully knowing I will never get far in it.
Yeah, although it makes me really want to play the game. Just no tiiiime.

Yeah? Why?

There's more buildup and reaction to certain events in the show compared to the movie. The movie also completely skips over the opening sequence from the first episode, which is a pretty major change in my opinion. Choosing not to open with Madoka's dream fundamentally changes how the first third or so of that story plays out.

The movies do an admirable job in getting pretty much everything into the two movies, but there are places where the pacing isn't ideal, or where the story just doesn't have as much extra room to breath.

CorvoSol

Getter Robo G 22

I cannot think of a single thing more terrifying to the American public than Demon Hitler hijacking an airplane. Like, unless that plane was loaded with Chinese Nuke-u-lur communism.

Apparently even Evillore felt the need to come to HxH and proclaim his distaste for the pacing of these last 15-20 episodes. Which has made many come forward to taste the same.

MAH PEOPLE.

CorvoSol

Kyon is like, the only not awful character in Haruhi.

Until the movie, in which a parallel universe reveals that several other characters aren't as shitty as they are during the TV show.

Every day further away from the day I watched Haruhi makes me like it a little less.

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya 6
Thoughts during episode:

- I'm starting to realize how close I am to Endless Eight going by chronological order. Man....
- I remember this episode. These were my favorite episodes in the first season!
- Kyon's sister is awesome. Kyon not as much.
- Hahaha. Haruhi.
- Haruhi's disappointment is palpable.
- Mikuru scared when Haruhi volunteers her for dirty work is always funny. Stop being a buzzkill for one day Kyon.
- And here's the fan service.
- Hehe. Haruhi is the best trouble maker.
- Kings Game. Those always turn out well...
- ....well that was brief.
- Yup. This is exactly what was going to happen in this situation with Haruhi.

Summary:

I like episodes like this where the group is just messing around. Kyon, like always, is a buzzkill anytime Haruhi wants to do something. So that hasn't changed. Other then that there isn't much to say other then there was a little fan service and it was a fun little episode for part one of a two part arc.

Kyon unbearable? He was the sole reason I even finished the show, and the main reason I watched the movie. The voice of reason amidst all the crap.

Also I'm 3 minutes into Garzey's Wing and it's already the worst VA ever. In the best way. English DUB ftw.

edit: I just heard hank hill scream. BWAAAAAAAAAAAHHAHAHAHAH. HAHAHAHAHAHHA. FUCKING. KILL ME NOW. I WON'T EXPERIENCE THIS MUCH HAPPINESS AGAIN.

cajunator

Banned
Kyon unbearable? He was the sole reason I even finished the show, and the main reason I watched the movie. The voice of reason amidst all the crap.

Also I'm 3 minutes into Garzey's Wing and it's already the worst VA ever. In the best way. English DUB ftw.

edit: I just heard hank hill scream. BWAAAAAAAAAAAHHAHAHAHAH. HAHAHAHAHAHHA. FUCKING. KILL ME NOW. I WON'T EXPERIENCE THIS MUCH HAPPINESS AGAIN.

What did you think of the menu screen? thats some amazing shit right off the bat.
It only gets better.

Kyon is an ass to everyone except Mikuru and tries to shoot down every opportunity the show gets to have fun. Which he always fails at anyway, every time. He's basically the embodiment of AnimeGAF. He's cynical, talks down to people, no BS type of guy and is quite lazy.

Some like him because he reflects what they think.

Edit: I would assume most liked the show for it's comedy. While Kyon has a witty/snarky remark once or twice an episode the comedy mainly comes from Haruhi and the supporting cast. That's what is driving me to watch this.

Kyon is an ass to everyone except Mikuru and tries to shoot down every opportunity the show gets to have fun. Which he always fails at anyway, every time. He's basically the embodiment of AnimeGAF. He's cynical, talks down to people, no BS type of guy and is quite lazy.

I have never seen such a wrong opinion. Kyon is the best. Opinion is fact.

edit: as to your edit, I liked the show because of Kyon. Plain and simple. I couldn't stand everybody else. We have the crying moeblob whose sole purpose is to basically uguuu, the yes man, and ADHaruhiD

Apparently even Evillore felt the need to come to HxH and proclaim his distaste for the pacing of these last 15-20 episodes. Which has made many come forward to taste the same.

MAH PEOPLE.

I haven't caught up with Hunter X Hunter as of late seeing as I got caught up on the manga, and judging from people's impressions of recent episodes....I may have to agree with them. Partially.

The
Chimera Ant
arc goes on. and on. and ooooonnnnnnn. Most of the stuff that happened in it was great, but the fact that some of the other stuff that's not as interesting drags on and on can be a real turn-off for some people.

Hell, even I found myself skipping some chapters at some points just to get the thing over with. And when a manga makes you want to do that, that's not a good sign.

Midonin

Love Getchu 10-15

I really liked the sequence of events going in 10-12. The focus on a voice recording session was a lot of fun to sit in. And thinking about the voice actors for the anime voice acting their actors voice acting is fun to think about. That this all began due to a stage mixup where the local tokusatsu hero's villains crashed the local magical girl's stage show is an amusing mixup.

The show that Momoko got her first gig on is some sort of kindergarten with a magical girl who turns into an adult and... I'll just post the guy reading a villain's line from it here.

DcWp80i.jpg

It's fun posting things without context!

iGP7bTO.jpg

Recording from storyboards. This is what you get when you're working with Toei.

From the multiple retakes to the drunken after party, it was a really fun stretch of episodes. Starting from 13, though, I'm not sure about the direction the show took. I've been saying that idols and voice actresses aren't that different, but starting from this point on, the girls actually are idols. I like idols, but an idol and a voice actor have slightly different jobs. Not everyone is a Nana Mizuki. (Though companies are certainly trying.) The puns in getting the group formed (getting "sisters" as in little sisters/nuns mixed up) was fun. Their first single is more or less "Brother Complex: The Song".

Besides the sudden right turn to idoldom, now the love triangle's coming out in full force. Not sure how I feel about that. It's leading to lots of Momoko and Atari not communicating and while it's not super tough to watch, I want them to resolve it and get back to the voice acting. The show's holding my attention still, doubly so now that I noticed the company's voice acting coach and president are voiced by Masako Nozawa and Kotono Mitsuishi. Add that to Wakamoto from before, and that's some high level talent for an obscure series.

I shall end on this.

Branduil

Edit: I would assume most liked the show for it's comedy. While Kyon has a witty/snarky remark once or twice an episode the comedy mainly comes from Haruhi and the supporting cast. That's what is driving me to watch this.

Eh, I'd say Kyon has a much better hit/miss ratio to his humor than Haruhi and co.

Are you watching the dub or sub?

d3Ie5DC.jpg

Eh, I'd say Kyon has a much better hit/miss ratio to his humor than Haruhi and co.

Are you watching the dub or sub?

Sub.

I guess I can see that. But with how the rules of this world works I would say Esper boy and Nagato are more the voices of reason then Kyon is. It's just hard to like a character who seems to never have fun..... in a show where it's all about having fun....

Articalys

Quick kneejerk ranking check of everything with at least two episodes I've seen so far this season:

Awesome: Captain Earth, JoJo, Mushishi S2
Great: Gochiusa, One Week Friends, Love Live S2
Good: Baby Steps, NGNL, Ping Pong, Nanana
Okay: Chaika, Soreseka

Oh god.

Oh god.

They're in a boat. In river rapids. And all I hear is.

"KEEP YOUR HANDS UP"

and a bunch of monotone valley girl OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH OOOOOOOOOOH OOOOOOH.

I'm dying. I have tears in my eyes, my heart just stopped. Garzey's Wing for AOTY.

Madoka Magica 3

Whaaaaaaat theeeeeee fuckkkkkkkkk. This fuckin twist why did you have to screw with my head, why do you have to bring sorrow damnit just when things were going great. Now I feel down in the dumps, shit made me sad. Even though the battle was great and music too, the way things ended really struck me. I should of been prepared, why no good feels not depressing. And also fuck that piece of shit of glob.

Branduil

Sub.

I guess I can see that. But with how the rules of this world works I would say Esper boy and Nagato are more the voices of reason then Kyon is. It's just hard to like a character who seems to never have fun..... in a show where it's all about having fun....

I don't think the show is all about fun... that's what Haruhi the character is all about. Without Kyon's cynicism to balance her out the show would just be the adventures of a sociopathic insane girl and her crew of one-dimensional tropes.

duckroll

Quick kneejerk ranking check of everything with at least two episodes I've seen so far this season:

Where's Haikyu?!

I have never seen such a wrong opinion. Kyon is the best. Opinion is fact.

edit: as to your edit, I liked the show because of Kyon. Plain and simple. I couldn't stand everybody else. We have the crying moeblob whose sole purpose is to basically uguuu, the yes man, and ADHaruhiD

Yeah Haruhi can be a bit much sometimes. She's definitely hyper. But it's with her interactions with everyone that make the show funny. It's because of Haruhi that his conversations with her are funny. Without Haruhi, Kyon would just be another, run of the mill male protagonist. His interactions with anyone else is usually not as entertaining.

Kyon is awesome! Its a one of the first laws of Anime Thermodynamics that any character Sugita plays is awesome.

cajunator

Banned

Ive seen only three shows so far but One Week Friends is in the front running at the moment.

Oh god.

Oh god.

They're in a boat. In river rapids. And all I hear is.

"KEEP YOUR HANDS UP"

and a bunch of monotone valley girl OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH OOOOOOOOOOH OOOOOOH.

I'm dying. I have tears in my eyes, my heart just stopped. Garzey's Wing for AOTY.

Now you fully understand!

Madoka Magica 3

Whaaaaaaat theeeeeee fuckkkkkkkkk. This fuckin twist why did you have to screw with my head, why do you have to bring sorrow damnit just when things were going great. Now I feel down in the dumps, shit made me sad. Even though the battle was great and music too, the way things ended really struck me. I should of been prepared, why no good feels not depressing. And also fuck that piece of shit of glob.

It begins. I see what you did there :)

I don't think the show is all about fun... that's what Haruhi the character is all about. Without Kyon's cynicism to balance her out the show would just be the adventures of a sociopathic insane girl and her crew of one-dimensional tropes.

Isn't it already that anyways? It's not like Haruhi listens to Kyon anyways. She already does what she wants regardless of what he says. He's just there to basically say "this is insane" or "how did I get here" every few minutes.

CorvoSol

Zeta Gundam 22

Sarah Zabiarov is a bitch, and Emma Sheen continues to be the one person aboard the Argama who truly has her shit together.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom