• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 |OT -7| My Giant CG Pony Can't Possibly Read This Much Baudelaire

Status
Not open for further replies.

jgminto

I think MMOs are an interesting setting, but they do remove tension and it's very difficult to get it back without resorting to the good old 'die in the game you die for real' trope.

One thing I would really like to see is a show where the story in-game is important because the people in the show commit to the in-game story. Like, it's not because they're forced to like it, or because they're being threatened or whatever; it's because they're playing a game and they want to have a good time with the game. Maybe some kind of RP thing, I don't know.

That or an e-sports tournie I guess.

How about an anime about LARPers? Not stylized or anything just some dudes with beards wacking wooden swords in the forest.

I think for an MMO show to work it really has to focus on the characters. And then I'd probably rather see their outside lives than inside. But SAO can't do anything like that because Kirito has the personality of a bar magnet and every other character has the personality of lead filings.

Jintor

One of the most interesting things I've read in the last few years was a webcomic called Darth and Droids that reinterprets Star Wars as something made up on the fly by a GM directing his roleplaying group as they continually go off the rails. It's great fun.

fertygo

SAO could be decent anime and rewatchable to me if just not have sexual harassment and other offensive stuff, just give me bullshit chuunibyou story and RPG hijinks, I can ignore the plothole like I do with .hack but..

And last episode of Haganai was good, haters.

Such an improvement that it went from that to this:
http://i.minus.com/ibyd78BFdWfvjR.gif[/IG]

And to dismiss all of AnimeGAF's votes (which includes yours btw) to claim GAF as a whole vote SAO as their fifth favourite is laughable. All that shows is that those who probably only watched SAO and one other show couldn't even bare voting for it. I mean at one point it was clearly the most watched show on GAF and yet it struggled to even win with what should have been some default number one votes.[/QUOTE]

Well they were asking about GAF, which, as usual Im consistently on my own for opinion. Still I think since it did get so many votes, one shouldn't immediately cast off the chance to not watch it.

DiGiKerot

Ord

tumblr_mkf6mxpkMG1qz6y3go1_1280.jpg

Well, the first collected volume of the iM@S manga was out a few days ago (and is in one of those images somewhere) and the LE version comes with a CD of Yuruyuri and Kannagi covers IIRC.

BluWacky

Speaking of which...

Niji-iro Hotaru

HURRAY! Finally someone else has seen it :)

For starters, I think the whole film is carried by its visuals- to a point where if you don't like the style/don't care for that aspect much, it becomes very hard to enjoy.

Absolutely, totally and utterly. I didn't like the story much - if at all, in the end - but it's definitely a beautiful film. The sun-drenched past of the village is just so beautiful to behold.

Unfortunately, I don't really have a lot else to add to any discussion about it. My misgivings were entirely due to the story, and maybe I was just in a cynical mood when I watched it, but to me it felt cheap and mawkish.

You're right, though, it's super :firehawk!

Girl that have his mind stuck on MMO got harassed in offline and online by his fiance that the GM of the game.
Let me get this straight because I'm a little confused by the phrasing.

A male person, offline, plays a female character, in game, gets harassed online for crossplaying both by his offline fiance and the game master?

sonicmj1

I just don't get Reki Kawahara's obsession with MMOs. Say there are two anime series about exploring the galaxy, fighting aliens, etc. but one is in an MMO. What reason do I have to choose that one? Unless you work in some ridiculous circumstance where you die in real life the MMO version is at a disadvantage as there is no tension. During the second half of SAO why would I care about any of the fights prior to the absolute final one? I wouldn't because it's Kirito, but anyway, what does him loosing some gold or experience have to do with the grand scheme of things?

The only thing I see the MMO version having over the non-MMO is that it appeals to people who can't socialize outside of MMOs themselves.

note: I haven't watched Accel World, I'm just commenting on the MMO bit.

MMOs are closer to your audience.

If your anime is set out in the galaxy fighting aliens, even if viewers aspire to be a part of it, they know that they will probably never be able to go out into the galaxy and fight aliens. But if it's in a VR MMO, that's something that maybe could exist. They could live in that world too! It's the same kind of fascination that exists for settings like Harry Potter or even the Type-Moon verse, where the magic exists just around the corner from our own reality.

And in the end, a setting like Aincrad holds the same fascination as any other popular fantasy setting. It's a world brimming with undiscovered secrets and hidden possibilities, where, no matter where you come from, you can find something new and incredible, and you can experience something special and unique.

I know some people find the distance between the real world and the virtual world to be too much of a problem to overcome (it's all Firehawk seems to care about), but I'm sure fans of the series don't really care. Wherever the fantasy occurs, the sense of possibility and discovery still exists.

jgminto

Once I've watched enough of a show I can't just quit. I should have just quit when Kirito and Asuna played house with that young girl but nooo.

No, a female character that is a love interest is the one who has that happen to her due to plot reasons.
I'm even more confused than I was before.

I probably just give up figuring out what happened unless I decide to ever watch it myself for the heck of it.

And not admit to watching it here, because apparently that's losing face.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
One problem with that cover though is that it's a missed opportunity. They show the same girls in two different styles. They really should have had (what I assume is) A-1 draw the YuruYuri girls in iDOLM@STER outfits in the bottom righthand corner.

Mature

Yup.

Watch .Hack Quantum instead.
Or Sign. Or play the games.

You'll quickly realize that SAO steals most of it's major plot points from .hack and subsequently botches them. If SAO had a third of the class .hack has it might be worth watching.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
One problem with that cover though is that it's a missed opportunity. They show the same girls in two different styles. They really should have had (what I assume is) A-1 draw the YuruYuri girls in iDOLM@STER outfits in the bottom righthand corner.
Yeah, at first I thought maybe they were trying to trick me by having the YY girls dressed up as the im@s girls dressed up as the YY girls.

...but it wasn't meant to be.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Well at least we have confirmation of the first DLC outfits for the iDOLM@STER 3 when it is announced.

That's how bad the show is.
Y'all are making me start to regret going along with some Sword Art Online Oculus Rift jokes that were happening on the internet one time.

I'm shocked at such strong reactions one way or the other.

I've definitely come across a lot of people that like this show. Weird.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom