• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 |OT -7| My Giant CG Pony Can't Possibly Read This Much Baudelaire

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shergal

HURRAY! Finally someone else has seen it :)

Prettty sure we'll be getting a surge of impressions in the next few days :p

Absolutely, totally and utterly. I didn't like the story much - if at all, in the end - but it's definitely a beautiful film. The sun-drenched past of the village is just so beautiful to behold.

Unfortunately, I don't really have a lot else to add to any discussion about it. My misgivings were entirely due to the story, and maybe I was just in a cynical mood when I watched it, but to me it felt cheap and mawkish.

You're right, though, it's super :firehawk!

Yeah, the story is nothing to write home about. Ultimately, if you take away the "style", it's basically typical oscarbait with some Japanese sensibilities that may or may not actually exist.
But I also thought it served its purpose pretty well as a framework for the visuals to develop. I don't think it's a stretch to say the creators cared much more about what they were doing with the animation than with the story.

duckroll

Tamako Market - Episode 12 (End)

What a let down. What a waste of a series. How predictable and safe. This ending was truly a total waste of the audience's time. Wow. The last two episodes really highlighted everything wrong with the series as a whole. Tamako was never an interesting character, and she was the weak link all the way to the end. Wasting two entire episodes trying to pretend that anyone watching the show cares about her is really pathetic.

What's worse is the writing and direction in the finale makes no sense whatsoever. There are all these dramatic beats trying to make the "decision" all emotional, but any normal rational person would have come to the same conclusion from the start. It was totally implausible that anyone in the district would have taken the offer seriously at all.

When this series was good, it was really good, but for me those were all the episodic stuff. Whenever it tried to get into the meat of the main story, it always felt flawed, and the ending just solidifies that. For all the naturalistic direction the show had for the supporting cast, the main character herself was truly one of the most artificial things I've seen in a show. There's trying too hard to make people care for a cardboard sock puppet, and then there's really trying too hard to make people care for a cardboard sock puppet.

---

tl;dr - This series should have ended at episode 9.

Steroyd

Once I've watched enough of a show I can't just quit. I should have just quit when Kirito and Asuna played house with that young girl but nooo.

The halfway point was a good stopping point, I would have had a less negative view on the series overall had I stopped there, second half was just on a higher level of pure insulting shit from beginning to end.

Dresden

New set of Yozakura Quartet eps . . . is ryo-timo back for this?

Production on a new original anime DVD series inspired by Suzuhito Yasuda's Yozakura Quartet manga has been green-lit. The title of the new project is "Tsuki ni Naku." The anime will ship on bonus DVDs bundled with the limited-edition volumes of the manga, similar to how the "Hoshi no Umi" anime project shipped with the manga's 9th, 10th, and 11th volumes.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Tamako Market - Episode 12 (End)
There's trying too hard to make people care for a cardboard sock puppet, and then there's really trying too hard to make people care for a cardboard sock puppet.
They're only asking for you to sneeze at it.

Kazzy

[Welcome to The Space Show]

This is undeniably showy film, a veritable feast for the eyes, from the animation, down to the sheer variety it offers in its settings. With so much going on, it’s difficult to become bored, but therein lays its problem. It is seemingly so intent at offering a little of everything, that there's a distinct possibility, that the stuff you do like, will only ever be fleeting.

It didn’t really need several simultaneous plots, either, because the central conceit of the journey through space was perfectly serviceable, and something which I would have (and had) been content to watch. It instead threatens to undo all of its momentum by introducing a needlessly convoluted subplot, which although not offensive, just makes for a frantic finale.

It was an charming film, which had great visuals, an endearing cast, and I certainly felt satisfied with the time I spent with it. I just wish that it had a more cohesive narrative, on which it could hang all that obvious quality. If you want an unassuming feel good film, one with more than a little of a Ghibli-esque vibe about it (I know, but its true), then I’d recommend it.

And with all that said, it’s odd to remain so conflicted about Welcome to The Space Show. I guess it’s just all that latent potential, I can easily acknowledge that it’s good, though I can’t shake the feeling that I should be calling it great.

/XX/

ちゃんとした色でアップできなかったからもう一度アップしてみた。|すしおりんZの投稿画像
http://p.twipple.jp/zKz66

They already should have let Sushio make a 'space opera' animated short starring Momoiro Clover Z, or anything featuring them... because damn if all these illustrations from him aren't making me eager of that more and more each passing day!

So I am on Episode 11 of From The New World - what does GAF think of this here anime?

And I was thinking about Sword Art Online next - was is das GAF verdict?

SAO is definitely pretty, and I know that's something you care about. That being said, it has quite a few issues with story and characters. Still, it does have an interesting premise and is pretty neat for MMO fans. You could watch the first few episodes to see if it's for you.

Dennis

Banned
SAO is definitely pretty, and I know that's something you care about. That being said, it has quite a few issues with story and characters. Still, it does have an interesting premise and is pretty neat for MMO fans. You could watch the first few episodes to see if it's for you.

I think I will watch the first episode at least, to see what I think.

DiGiKerot

[Welcome to The Space Show]

This is undeniably showy film, a veritable feast for the eyes, from the animation, down to the sheer variety it offers in its settings. With so much going on, it’s difficult to become bored, but therein lays its problem. It is seemingly so intent at offering a little of everything, that there's a distinct possibility, that the stuff you do like, will only ever be fleeting.

Yeah, I like the movie an awful lot more than it probably deserves, but it's got a real identity crisis going on that kind-of saturates most of what's going on with it. Even the character designs seem to straddle this weird middle ground, where it seems that they couldn't quite decide if they were making a main-stream movie or an otaku-centric one and ended up coming up with something that wasn't quite appealing enough for either.

Which is a shame, because I think the movie looks great in general, but it's part of that trend of the time, along with Redline and Letter to Momo, where anime-original movies which were in production for years and had really lavish production values were released and did absolutely nothing.

OceanBlue

yeah. Is this going to take place right after the last OVA?

It seemed that way from the PV.

The author of Working has another manga being made into an anime. Servant X Service is a workplace comedy that takes place in a Health and Welfare office. It's coming out in July.

Here is the voice cast so far revealed.
Ai Kayano
Mai Nakahara

Aki Toyosak

http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-ne...thors-servant-x-service-slated-for-july-anime

Aww yeah.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
I just realized what my post meant to yall. Fail. I do not support any incest or fake incest shows people.

Westlo

Macross SDF - 01
Anime has declined ;____;

First time watching Macross? I kinda want an new version of the original Macross done sometime soon similar to what Yamato is getting now and how MSG is getting Origin adapted... but man who the fuck knows what the Kawamori of the last 15 years will do to it.

Don't forget to watch Do You Remember Love and Plus...

Westlo

Frontier was the only thing that I ever completed so far..

Yeah definitely watch Plus after, watch the OVAs first and the Movie later, I think I prefer the Movie though it seems more people like the OVAs.

I think Plus is argubly Kanno's best score as well.

Ignore 2, not canon, ignore 7 if you have a large backlog, not worth it lol.

I have been made insanely curious as to why GAF doesn't like Sword Art Online.

I haven't watched it, by the way.
I dropped it around the sixth(or was it the fifth) episode. I wasn't totally crazy for the main characters because they lacked personality. I would have been fine with it if they at least continued to make Asuna a "girl-Kirito". But they made her subservient to him, which turned me off entirely.

Stoof

Girls und Panzer 11-12

Such a great ending to a really fun series. If this doesn't get a second season (which it should judging by the sales!) then anime is truly dead ;_;

I wasn't totally crazy for the main characters because they lacked personality.
I am again dumbfounded by the differing opinions on this anime.

That isn't to mean I'm challenging them or that I doubt you're right. I remember putting off watching this anime while I played an MMORPG and planned to watch it because everyone in the game was evangelizing this anime to me. And I figured it had to at least be kind of decent or people wouldn't be going on about it. I even made some Sword Art Online Oculus Rift jokes at another website because I wanted to go with the flow.

So it is weird to come here to this very different reality. I'm amazed that people were evangelizing this anime and that so many people like it if it has bad characterization.

Why is this anime so popular? I'm seriously confused as to why it is such a sensation. Because I see people talking about it everywhere.

7Th

Why is this anime so popular? I'm seriously confused as to why it is such a sensation. Because I see people talking about it everywhere.

The ultimate self-insert fantasy; I mean, the only reason girls throw themselves at Kirito is that he is good at videogames.

duckroll

http://natalie.mu/music/news/87669

So, remember when I mentioned that there would be 4 different versions of the Aku no Hana OP, with 3 mystery vocalists? Looks like they announced it all finally. Each of the different versions are themed to one of the main characters, with the fourth one being themed to the city itself. The lyrics will be different as well, but I think they're supposed to sort of create one full single together. Anyway... here it is.

"Aku no Hana -Takao Kasuga-" Vocal: Noko (from Shinsei Kamattechan)
"Aku no Hana -Sawa Nakamura-" Vocal: Mariko Goto
"Aku no Hana -Nanako Saeki-" Vocal: Shiho Nanba
"Aku no Hana -Kiryu City in Gunma-" Vocal: Asako Shinosaki (from Uchuujin)

Aside from Shinosaki, who I looked up when they first announced she was producing the OP theme, I have no fucking idea who the other vocalists are, so anyway I went on Youtube to pull some links to some of their songs. Yeah... erm... this sure is going to be special! Lol. Enjoy.

Noko: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzpE6d3c7PY
Mariko Goto: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1xOtdT0sxw
Shiho Nanba: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJf6EB59tq4
Asako Shinosaki: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iuYcl_O8_6o

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom