• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 |OT -7| My Giant CG Pony Can't Possibly Read This Much Baudelaire

Status
Not open for further replies.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
To be honest the cover pictures of the manga are pretty cool looking, but the plot summary is a bit disappointing.
http://i.imgur.com/Mxru9hs.jpg?1

Attractive art style, yeah. I'd hope that it doesn't get homogenized to hell for the adaptation and that the description is misconstruing fraternal devotion as incest, but wouldn't surprise me in the slightest for the premise to be totally accurate as stated.

survivor

Banned
Attractive art style, yeah. I'd hope that it doesn't get homogenized to hell for the adaptation and that the description is misconstruing fraternal devotion as incest, but wouldn't surprise me in the slightest for the premise to be totally accurate as stated.

I just read a review of the manga and saw this line
This was icky at first, but got worse when she is literally eating his flesh saying lines like, “Big brother your meat is so good!” and he is somehow relishing it.

Probably not gonna be watching it then.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Toaru Kagaku no Railgun - 06

6tcP3j6.png
8pfC2jQ.png

Dat lust.

Kuroko is by far my favorite character in the show. I'm rooting for you girl!

kpjolee

Ore no Kanojo to Osananajimi ga Shuraba Sugiru - 13 END

??? ?????? ????????????? ???????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Space Bros 51

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/18780843/anime/spacebros51.jpg

Man, this little arc with Nitta and his lil' bro's been fantastic. A shame the show still has to bring up the Indian fortune teller bullshit, the unholy combination of racial stereotyping and superstitious garbage in what is an otherwise science heavy show. :/

Seriously, it's like you guys all forgot the first episode and how Mutta became an astronaut candidate in the first place. :p

Seriously, it's like you guys all forgot the first episode and how Mutta became an astronaut candidate in the first place. :p

Well, I think there's a difference between kids maybe seeing a UFO and someone claiming to have prophetic powers.

Although I'm still hoping that it turns out she's a fraud who looked all that information up on Wikipedia to play on racial stereotypes and expectations.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Pfft, that was just a weather balloon/swamp gas.
Well, I think there's a difference between kids maybe seeing a UFO and someone claiming to have prophetic powers.

Although I'm still hoping that it turns out she's a fraud who looked all that information up on Wikipedia to play on racial stereotypes and expectations.

Remember that the show opens with that weird soccer thing that isn't ever really brought up again much after the first few episodes. lol

The crime of Bink will forever be with us. Our eternal shame.
240p 4ever.

Also, an old pixel art gif thingie of GJ-bu:
HZhZPcn.gif

CorvoSol

Mobile Fighter God Gundam 39

OH FOR THE LOVE OF- REALLY DOMON? REALLY? Can somebody PLEASE explain to me what it is about this Allenby ho that errybody is head over heels for her? First Wong, and now DOMON? I mean come on, Domon! You have had this fine honey, Rain, on your side the entire journey mah man, and now you want some cheap, knock off, paraguay Magical Sailor Scout girl with blue hair and comically oversized gloves? You want her so bad you're willing to chew out RAIN. RAIN. The hell is wrong with you, son? No wonder you spend literally the entire rest of this episode getting schooled by Master Asia. Y'cain't even choose the right woman. C'mon, man. Allenby doesn't even :chet as nicely as Rain, for cryin' out loud.

Oh, and also: MOBILE TRACE HORSE MOMENT. Master Asia is the coolest, craziest, most over the top awesome villain in the history of Gundam. HE HAS A HORSE PILOTING HIS GUNDAM'S HORSE. I mean, I don't even, but it's so hilariously obvious and yet utterly stupid that it just loops back around and is the most amazingly awesome thing I have ever seen.

MY GUNDAM'S HORSE HAS A HORSE FOR A PILOT. I FIGHT WITH RIBBONS. AND I AM THE MOST BADASS VILLAIN IN THE SERIES.

Narag

Mobile Fighter God Gundam 39

Can somebody PLEASE explain to me what it is about this Allenby ho that errybody is head over heels for her? First Wong, and now DOMON? I mean come on, Domon! You have had this fine honey, Rain, on your side the entire journey mah man, and now you want some cheap, knock off, paraguay Magical Sailor Scout girl with blue hair and comically oversized gloves? You want her so bad you're willing to chew out RAIN. RAIN. The hell is wrong with you, son? No wonder you spend literally the entire rest of this episode getting schooled by Master Asia. Y'cain't even choose the right woman. C'mon, man. Allenby doesn't even :chet as nicely as Rain, for cryin' out loud.

I never really thought Domon wanted her as much as she wanted him. He gets along better with her because of the whole communicating with their fists things. There's this divide between him and Rain as they can't properly express themselves to one another. Domon's happy to have a rival but oblivious to Rain's growing frustration.

wonzo

Banned
HxH 2011 73

hxhr73.jpg

Oh my god, having Genthru and his band of merry dweebs
have the shit beaten out of them
with such great animation is the best shit ever. I haven't seen this much Yo-Yo sakuga since SUKEBAN DEKA. Oh man, I can't wait to see Genthru, the lamest HxH villain ever,
have his shit packed in next week.

based Madhouse never truly died :bow :bow

Remember that the show opens with that weird soccer thing that isn't ever really brought up again much after the first few episodes. lol
Ehh, the headbutt was just a funny visual gag more than anything.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Ehh, the headbutt was just a funny visual gag more than anything.
The whole first arc of the series is based around "luck" and being "lucky". The advisor guy working at JAXA even says that "luck" is the X-factor that every astronaut needs right when the thing with Apo happens.

Edit: Also, Mutta talks about "using all his luck" before getting his call in the previous arc.

Are premonitions better or worse than superstitions? I dunno. But I'm just saying that the show basically started with all of that stuff right from the beginning.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
"Utsutsu and Yume Hasegawa have been living all on their own. One day, Yume sees red butterflies and something strange happens to her body!! As the siblings are toyed with by “Pupa,” so begins their tale of heroic love... (From JManga) "
So like another take on Hot House?

Dresden

Nature of serialized stories, really. Can't edit stuff out to tighten things out when it's already been printed and shipped.

CorvoSol

I never really thought Domon wanted her as much as she wanted him. He gets along better with her because of the whole communicating with their fists things. There's this divide between him and Rain as they can't properly express themselves to one another. Domon's happy to have a rival but oblivious to Rain's growing frustration.

He kinda crosses the line thrice when he tells Rain she's not fit to be called a doctor.

Gundam 00 S2 14

Okay, so, let me get this straight: Ribbons piloted the Gundam 0 on the day that Setsuna first got his first Gundam boner? Isn't there anyone in this show who isn't at least inadvertently gay for Ribbons?

Oh, well, there's Mr. Bushido, who is gay for Setsuna only. Mr. Bushido hasn't done anything at all in EPISODES, moving him down to the esteemed rank of Worst Char I have Ever Seen. I mean, SERIOUSLY, even Zeheart did more than this chump.

Anyway, the worst part of this entire thing is that psychic trans-american middle eastern children with uncannily good singing voices are Princess Marina Ismail's trump card in the war on terror. Speaking of doing nothing, why does this show's credits ship Princess Marina Ismail! and Setsuna Fathead Seiei so hard? They have zero chemistry and almost never even interact. It's like Zael and Calista from The Last Story if their romance had been long distance.

Oh well, it still isn't as bad as Kou x Nina, Shiro x Aina, or Shinn x Stella. I'm not counting Flit x Emily because Flit never loved Emily, nor am I counting Asemu and Romary or Kio and Wendy for the same reasons. Except that it's Romary that never loved Asemu, and also none of the women in those relationships were actual characters.

Edit: Also, Mutta talks about "using all his luck" before getting his call in the previous arc.

Are premonitions better or worse than superstitions? I dunno. But I'm just saying that the show basically started with all of that stuff right from the beginning.

This feels like an apples to hand grenades to comparison.

Mutta talks about 'using up his luck', but it's also clear that this isn't a real thing. It's meant to show that he has all of these weird thoughts, and it lets us see Mutta's thought process more. There's not actually anything to it, it's just a weird superstition that Mutt has while he's being negative and worried, and it's never presented as anything more than that.

It's a bit silly to compare that on any level to premonitions. Superstitions are a real thing. People are superstitious. That's just a matter of making characters who feel realistic (because most people have some sort of weird idiosyncrasy like that). It's very different from presenting someone and claiming that they actually have fortune telling powers.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Robo;Notes 22
Worse than I could have imagined. Disrespectful of both basic knowledge and anything the show established previously.
The final fight here has no tension, and takes place entirely on a two-dimensional plane. Everything about it emphasizes what a piece of garbage the robot is, from the absurd power source laser to the "monopole motors". There is no consequence to both the fight (just shrug off those heart attacks) or the series as a whole.
Fuck the power of love and fuck video games.

Kyuur

Hunter x Hunter

Oh yes. Oh hell yes. My body was so ready for this. Those fights were done perfectly. This is the best anime adaptation I've ever seen.

Magi

On this side, why. They should've just adapted it with the manga material, ending it at the end of this arc. I don't see why they feel the need to throw in some bullshit 'ending war'.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
This feels like an apples to hand grenades to comparison.

Mutta talks about 'using up his luck', but it's also clear that this isn't a real thing. It's meant to show that he has all of these weird thoughts, and it lets us see Mutta's thought process more. There's not actually anything to it, it's just a weird superstition that Mutt has while he's being negative and worried, and it's never presented as anything more than that.

It's a bit silly to compare that on any level to premonitions. Superstitions are a real thing. People are superstitious. That's just a matter of making characters who feel realistic (because most people have some sort of weird idiosyncrasy like that). It's very different from presenting someone and claiming that they actually have fortune telling powers.

There are people who would argue that they have real premonitions though. I mean, I'm in the camp that both are silly, which is probably why I equate the two and give them equal weight.

I will agree that the text shows that Mutta makes his own luck, with Apo, the bus thing, the secret order thing, and so forth, so in that sense "luck" is a more substantive thing. But the show/text attributes some mystical power to these events that make them particularly unusual. Even the thing with Hibito on the moon is a coincidence that can be attributed to "luck" in the very nebulous sense of the word that is alluded to in the show.

Either way, the show has always had a bit of the "right place, right time" theme running through it.

wonzo

Banned
The whole first arc of the series is based around "luck" and being "lucky". The advisor guy working at JAXA even says that "luck" is the X-factor that every astronaut needs right when the thing with Apo happens.

Ugh, don't remind me of all the "luck" shit. That stuff was really grating.

So like another take on Hot House?
Pretty much but with (more?) cannibalism.

so yeah day one!

e:
Either way, the show has always had a bit of the "right place, right time" theme running through it.
Yeah but then it goes ahead and attributes it to some greater power which is just dumb as hell and feels really out of place with the actual setting of the series.

CorvoSol

Full Metal Panic! 7

So Sousuke and Gauron have their first real showdown in the show, and we're introduced to the fact that Sousuke's got the privilege of piloting a Super Robot in a Real Robot show. Unfortunately, he doesn't quite get that whole hot-blooded thing yet, so Kaname has to light a fire or two.

Afterward, Mr. Kalinin provides us with some major points of foreshadowing. Chief among these, though, in my mind is this:
Kalinin does not think the world is the way it should be, as evidenced by modern military technology.
But also some general stuff, like what Whispered and Black Technology are.

The episode concludes with Sousuke being reassigned to Kaname's defense and returning to his old antics. And Kyoko motorboating Kaname for reasons.

Defuser

Oreshura Final

Looks like he can't escape the harem route and holy crap at Ai-chan jump of joy. First half of the series is meh but second half is great because of Ai-chan. Kayano Ai did a fantastic job carrying the show. AI CHAN DAISHOURIIIIII!!!!!

CorvoSol

Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam 7

So Lila comes on real strong to Jordan or whoever, which of course marks her for death. Sure enough, Kamile offs her and earns his place among the AEUG, but in true Gundam fashion, he's mad that errybody is celebrating his victory.

Oh, and they go to a ghost town with mummies and a saloon.

Westlo

God damn the Magi soundtrack is fucking shit, pretty sad that something like the Fairy Tail soundtrack (real talk this shit is nice) shits all over it. Hopefully Shiro Sagisu doesn't get another job ever in anime because he's been living off his overrated Eva score for long enough.

duckroll

Magi - Episode 25 (End)

That was a terrible way to adapt the end of the Zagan arc, but it's par for course as far as Magi goes. Awful adaptation, dodgy direction, etc. But at least the final two episodes here have tons of fanservice for the manga readers in terms of seeing crazy action and cool shit animated rather well. In the end it's still shit. BUT WAIT, IT'S NOT OVER!

MAGI SEASON 2 COMING FALL 2013!!!!!!!!!! LOL!

duckroll

Then why bother doing fillers/ shifting around the source material nonsense in the first place.

Like I said before, it's because Yoshino thinks he's really smart, and they want to do all sorts of "cool" things so the anime can be more "dramatic" (read: bad). Expect more of the same from the next season!

Yoshino slayed Balbadd, next stop: Magnostadt! Loooool!

Westlo

*Yoshino laughs*

Sad part about this since it's so soon there's pretty much no hope for a change in staff. Having Yoshino "Yoshino" the rest of Magi is a given, but we're going to have the same shit job by the director and the crap music from Shiro Sagisu.

duckroll

We can only hope it's two more cours.

They "adapted" 116 chapters in 25 episodes for season 1. The next season will definitely be 2-cour, since they'll probably be adapting everything up to where the manga is now and beyond that. There are 62 more chapters now, but a year from now there should be another 50 chapters. Sounds like it's just right if the anime plans on adapting everything and the manga ends in a year's time. :p

Westlo

They "adapted" 116 chapters in 25 episodes for season 1. The next season will definitely be 2-cour, since they'll probably be adapting everything up to where the manga is now and beyond that. There are 62 more chapters now, but a year from now there should be another 50 chapters. Sounds like it's just right if the anime plans on adapting everything and the manga ends in a year's time. :p

You reckon the manga will end in a years time? Seemed like it had a lot left in the tank last time I stopped reading it to let some more chapters build up (the descent into Magnostadt).

Only having 62 chapters to adapt sounds like a recipe for Yoshino to add some awesome filler to me.

wonzo

Banned
MAGI SEASON 2 COMING FALL 2013!!!!!!!!!! LOL!
Just end the pain.

Dude, there's no way the manga's ending in a years time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom