• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2015 |OT2| Euriphonium

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nah, DVD sales are less than 570.

Of course... There's this:

It's not like a shop will double sales even oricon include it, also is the anime studio investment the show or not doesn't matter, sales are sales, it shows how many people buy it, check the Japanese discussion, no one even care about this.
That said, Hibike sales already doing decently, and should have some trail due to ending effect.(unless the ending is a mess but i don't think this case could happen for Hibike, not way man.)

Jex

After that I'm not sure what I should watch next.
Here is my myanimelist anime list
My PTW list is pretty damn long and I have a few series on hold as well.

You certainly have a hell of a lot of shows available to watch. I recommend focusing on the shortest and the bes shows first, therefore:

Ping Pong
Cowboy Bebop
Mushishi (All seasons + Specials)
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
Space Dandy
Monster
Eureka Seven

In roughly that order. After that, feel free to go wild.

In addition, while you are certainly free to ignore this advice, a number of shows on your PTW are really awful. And not in a 'Garzey's Wing', way. Guilty Crown, to pick one glaring example, is an utterly worthless show. Mediocre in every respect.

That still doesn't fill me with confidence, but at least the sales numbers aren't definitive. I was under the impression that Plastic Memories was fairly popular based on Isla's position on that chart a few days back, but then again Danmachi didn't do brilliantly either and I thought that was popular too.

The sales numbers are definitive unless someone can make a better one.
Danmachi anime is only popular for first few episodes in Japan, though the LN boost is pretty huge there.

Jex

And you say I have bad tastes. HA!

I don't think I've seen a more half-baked anime like Gatchaman Crowds since I saw Fractale.

715keq7yuey.gif

Now, I'm not the world's biggest Gatchaman Crowds devotee, but comparing it to Fractale is practically criminal. Admittedly the show had some real production problems when it aired, but that's all been fixed now with the home release.

Hajime is also a contender for the most dangerously genki female protagonists in anime.

It's also a pretty impressive example of a successful re-imagining of an old franchise and an entry in well-trodden superhero genre that actually brings some new ideas to the table.

fertygo

That still doesn't fill me with confidence, but at least the sales numbers aren't definitive. I was under the impression that Plastic Memories was fairly popular based on Isla's position on that chart a few days back, but then again Danmachi didn't do brilliantly either and I thought that was popular too.

Newtype popularity chart is even less dependable than oricon data..

Sure there's other metric to determine anime show success such as boost to manga/novel or merchandise/toy

But for original anime for Plastic Memories one can assume disc sales number can be more telling than other cases.

It's not like a shop will double sales even oricon include it, also is the anime studio investment the show or not doesn't matter, sales are sales, it shows how many people buy it, check the Japanese discussion, no one even care about this.
That said, Hibike sales already doing decently, and should have some trail due to ending effect.(unless the ending is a mess but i don't think this case could happen for Hibike, not way man.)

Sales are sales....unless they're estimates which have been proven to be wrong and really don't matter to the publisher/distributor other than publicity.

For example, let's look at the Haruhi BD-Box released in 2010. Oricon estimated its "sales" at 34,000 units. We know via Bunka Tsushin that Kadokawa shipped 50,000 units of this box. Kadokawa sold 50,000 copies, but only 34,000 were "estimated" by Oricon. I'm not going to say that all of them were sold by the KyoAni Shop nor that all of them were sold. I will say that shows you can't definitively say Oricon's numbers are "sales." They're "estimates" and even say so in Japanese (which everyone ignores).

cajunator

Banned
Damn at those Etotama sales numbers... has there been a Plastic Memories BD release yet?

Etotama numbers make me sad :(
Im not expecting Plastic Memories to sell much. 1-2000 would be a good number for it.

And you say I have bad tastes. HA!

I don't think I've seen a more half-baked anime like Gatchaman Crowds since I saw Fractale.

I like Fractale but Gatchaman Crowds is waaaaay better.

Dandte

In case you didn't read the title, the spoiler is about the final episode of Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso.

Let me start with...ooooooh shit. From the moment on Kaori showed symptons and sayed equivocated sentences i joked that she will die at the end, because the hints were so obvious, but since it's an anime featuring Highschoolers she will survive and we get a happy ending.
Probs for this anime and it's base Manga for let her die. When her cardiac monitor jumped down i honestly was shocked, but i still thought it was just for the drama. This anime now has a high rank in my alltime favs. The whole colorful vs. dark and grey colour sheme and the fact that basically in the end every character is down but has a gleam of hope, except watari...poor guy, really impresses me.

Now i need another great love/comedy/drama anime, but i thinked i watched all of them :/

Sales are sales....unless they're estimates which have been proven to be wrong and really don't matter to the publisher/distributor other than publicity.

For example, let's look at the Haruhi BD-Box released in 2010. Oricon estimated its "sales" at 34,000 units. We know via Bunka Tsushin that Kadokawa shipped 50,000 units of this box. Kadokawa sold 50,000 copies, but only 34,000 were "estimated" by Oricon. I'm not going to say that all of them were sold by the KyoAni Shop nor that all of them were sold. I will say that shows you can't definitively say Oricon's numbers are "sales." They're "estimates" and even say so in Japanese (which everyone ignores).

Do you really think Kyoani shows is the only one with shipped numbers way higher than sold numbers?
Girls und Panzer sold ~204k totally in oricon, meanwhile they announced it shipped over 300k, are you going to check every shows for that?

Every shows are in the same page, so it is good enough to count as actual sales until someone make a better one.

Do you really think Kyoani shows is the only one with shipped numbers way higher than sold numbers?
Girls und Panzer sold ~204k totally in oricon, meanwhile they announced it shipped over 300k, are you going to check every shows for that?

Every shows are in the same page, so it is good enough to count as actual sales until someone make a better one.

I never stated KyoAni shows were the only exception. I merely provided an example of how off Oricon's estimates are. Not every show is in the same situation, so taking their estimates as "actual sales" is utterly pointless. We'll never get the actual numbers for every single release, so pretending something that's been proven to be wrong is actually right is idiotic.

No one is going to "make a better one" so it's better to treat these as the estimates they are instead of going "well, the show only sold x amount" like this thread and others do. Disc sales are always one piece of the puzzle and people treat these estimates like gods since they're the only numbers we reliably get, which ignores anything/everything about how shows are financed.

Spring 2015 Preliminary First Volume Sales
Many show won't have data(or full data) til Thursday, since top 30 BD cut-off is 2.7k

17,626 Kekkai Sense
11,148 Yahari
*8,598 Show by Rock!
*6,555 Hibike! Euphonium
*5,957 Hello!! Kiniro Mosaic
*5,784 Owari no Seraph
*5,588 Sidonia no Kishi: Daikyuu Wakusei Seneki
*5,334 Funassyi no Funafunafuna Biyori
*5,275 Nisekoi:
*5,135 DanMachi
*2,853 Tesagure spin off
*2,142 Gunslinger Stratos
**,840 Re-Kan!
**,494 Etotama

Well damn, Show by Rock sold pretty good too, the Spring of Bones finally here.

Good for Yahari.

I never stated KyoAni shows were the only exception. I merely provided an example of how off Oricon's estimates are. Not every show is in the same situation, so taking their estimates as "actual sales" is utterly pointless. We'll never get the actual numbers for every single release, so pretending something that's been proven to be wrong is actually right is idiotic.

No one is going to "make a better one" so it's better to treat these as the estimates they are instead of going "well, the show only sold x amount" like this thread and others do. Disc sales are always one piece of the puzzle and people treat these estimates like gods since they're the only numbers we reliably get, which ignores anything/everything about how shows are financed.

~60-70% actually is very good coverage for the sales, nowhere near "off", nor treat it as sales numbers is idiotic.
And there is no "right" or "wrong" it just here to show how is x show sold, nothing more nothing less.

And we're talking about BD/DVD sales here, you can talk with others if you wanna discuss how's the source material/figures/etc other goods sales data.

715keq7yuey.gif

Now, I'm not the world's biggest Gatchaman Crowds devotee, but comparing it to Fractale is practically criminal. Admittedly the show had some real production problems when it aired, but that's all been fixed now with the home release.

Hajime is also a contender for the most dangerously genki female protagonists in anime.

It's also a pretty impressive example of a successful re-imagining of an old franchise and an entry in well-trodden superhero genre that actually brings some new ideas to the table.
Oh they quite clearly had production issues. I've heard the home releases fixes a lot but I didn't like the show enough to give it a second chance. And yes Hajime was dangerously genki to a point that I found her annoying and I normally love genki female leads.

Szadek

First and foremost you must watch Clannad After Story. You finished S1, but now the adventure truly begins.

Then Grisaia & Grisaia S2. Then Etotama. Then Kanon.

Then you need to add and watch Cross Ange for the trainwreck and entertainment.
Thanks.Last time I tryed to watch After Story I wasn't quite in the right mood,but I will try it again soon.

I usually can't watch bad shows on my own,I just get angry and start thorwing things.
Still need to find someone who hates SAO just as much as me so I can finish S2.
From your to watch list you should prioritize these:
Thanks.I watched Kill La Kill not too long ago,so I'm saving Gurren Lagann in case I suddenly want a really stupid,over the top action show.
You certainly have a hell of a lot of shows available to watch. I recommend focusing on the shortest and the best shows first.

In addition, while you are certainly free to ignore this advice, a number of shows on your PTW are really awful. And not in a 'Garzey's Wing', way. Guilty Crown, to pick one glaring example, is an utterly worthless show. Mediocre in every respect.
Thanks.
I heard bad things about Guilty Crown,so it's not very high on priority list.

Jex

[Bride of Deimos: Orchid Suite]

The Bride of Deimos:Orchid Suite is a one-shot OVA from 1988. It was directed by Rintaro and produced by studio Madhouse. This OVA adapts a single story from the far longer 70's shojo manga series The Bride of Deimos.

The storyline of this particular OVA is certainly AnimeGAF approved as it has everything that you're looking for in an anime including:

Inappropriate Demonic Suitors

Manly Men

Dreamy, Demonic Men

Flowing 80's Shoujo hair

Romance

Inappropriate Brother / Sister Relationships

Murderous Sisters in Wheelchairs

Resentment & Murder

Family Secrets

Tragedy

Cornbread78

Thanks.Last time I tryed to watch After Story I wasn't quite in the right mood,but I will try it again soon.

I usually can't watch bad shows on my own,I just get angry and start thorwing things.
Still need to find someone who hates SAO just as much as me so I can finish S2.

Well, just visit the Toonami thread or just mention SAO here and there will be plenty to bear arms in their hatred of SAO. .

Also, if you have the time, try to marathon episode 15-end of Clannad After Story, it enhances the story greatly. Just FF through the OP and ep each episode to save your self 4-5 mins each episode (music is great though, lol)

Less than 2.7k. We don't know how much lower it is to that number :p

Ouch, hopes shattered..

Jarmel

Banned
Many show won't have data(or full data) til Thursday, since top 30 BD cut-off is 2.7k

17,626 Kekkai Sense
11,148 Yahari
*8,598 Show by Rock!
*6,555 Hibike! Euphonium
*5,784 Owari no Seraph
*5,275 Nisekoi:
*5,135 DanMachi
*2,853 Tesagure spin off
**,840 Re-Kan!
**,494 Etotama

BONES shows actually selling. What bizarro world do we live in?

Oh they quite clearly had production issues. I've heard the home releases fixes a lot but I didn't like the show enough to give it a second chance. And yes Hajime was dangerously genki to a point that I found her annoying and I normally love genki female leads.

It had a few more problems than the production issues. A shame.

TheRancor

[Bride of Deimos: Orchid Suite]

The Bride of Deimos:Orchid Suite is a one-shot OVA from 1988. It was directed by Rintaro and produced by studio Madhouse. This OVA adapts a single story from the far longer 70's shojo manga series The Bride of Deimos.

The storyline of this particular OVA is certainly AnimeGAF approved as it has everything that you're looking for in an anime including:
Pity about the image quality. Rintaro does tend to direct visually extravagant works regardless of writing quality. For instance, X/1999: The Movie looks too good for something so nonsensical and a bunch of his other Madhouse stuff I imagine.

17,626 Kekkai Sense
11,148 Yahari
*8,598 Show by Rock!
*6,555 Hibike! Euphonium
*5,784 Owari no Seraph
*5,275 Nisekoi:
*5,135 DanMachi
*2,853 Tesagure spin off
**,840 Re-Kan!
**,494 Etotama

Looks like Kekkai Sensen will be getting a second season at some point.

DiGiKerot

~60-70% actually is very good coverage for the sales, nowhere near "off", nor treat it as sales numbers is idiotic.
And there is no "right" or "wrong" it just here to show how is x show sold, nothing more nothing less.

And we're talking about BD/DVD sales here, you can talk with others if you wanna discuss how's the source material/figures/etc other goods sales data.

If that is all you are doing, than that's cool - the danger, though, is using BD sales numbers as anything other than a rough estimate of how many people want to physically own a disk copy of something (and even that gets problematic when you start looking at the ways that V1s sometimes get stacked with extra content - see Love Live).

Again, though, comparing this stuff is cool - heck, I find it interesting myself - but it should absolutely not be used as any kind of definitive measurement of a show is popular or successful. The most popular cartoons in Japan sell absolutely nothing in the grand scheme of things, and the same holds true even for nerd shows to a degree - some shows simply aren't made with the expectation that someone is going to buy the show itself. Whilst a there's certainly patterns you can pick up from disk sales, anime aren't video games, and you really shouldn't be judging a show to be a bomb based simply on those numbers.

(Because, honestly, they'll probably sell mad Hestia figures regardless of how many DanMachi disks they sell)
(Also, I bet KyoAni numbers generally are further off being accurate than other companies releases, because their store exclusive bonuses are way nicer than most other stores)

The Disappearance of Nagato Yuki-Chan 3

Well that didn't take long for things to (sort of) return to the way they were in the original series. I had more enjoyment from watching this episode than I did the first two.

cajunator

Banned
Chibli, cute moe animal girls, battle scenes, comedy, a harem... It's got all the checkboxes..

2,700k for PM, so pretty good then?

Yeah but checking all the otaku boxes is still no guarantee. Rinne No Lagrange pandered extremely hard yet sold poorly. Its hard to say what will or wont sell to otaku.
I didnt think Show By rock was going to do as well as it did. Thats pretty great sales for an anime.

17,626 Kekkai Sense
11,148 Yahari
*8,598 Show by Rock!
*6,555 Hibike! Euphonium
*5,784 Owari no Seraph
*5,275 Nisekoi:
*5,135 DanMachi
*2,853 Tesagure spin off
**,840 Re-Kan!
**,494 Etotama

Wanted Seraph to do more, oh well, UtaPri Revolution ought to be at the top of the list next week. 2nd Best UtaPri season.

Yu-Gi-Oh! 5Ds Episode 32-33
CIv-lTXWcAA4m0a.jpg

Can we please have more Team Satisfaction action. Kiryu, Crow, Jack, and Yusei make the best four team ever. So good and they were all looking so happy and such. Sure they are trapped in Satellite but still living life like its golden.

17,626 Kekkai Sense
11,148 Yahari
*8,598 Show by Rock!
*6,555 Hibike! Euphonium
*5,784 Owari no Seraph
*5,275 Nisekoi:
*5,135 DanMachi
*2,853 Tesagure spin off
**,840 Re-Kan!
**,494 Etotama

Good to see that we will see the end for Yahari also in animated form (sometime in distant future). Show is making money with disc sales alone so even if LN ends and they have no incentive to push LN sales third season should be no brainer.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
715keq7yuey.gif

Dude, you busted out the Sisko facepalm. Is that better or worse than the Picard/Riker facepalm?!

Code Geass: Boukoku no Akito - 03

- Guys we need relationship building and some realization of personal flaws, we also have to remind the audience that this takes place in Europe. Any ideas?
- How about gypsies?
- Brilliant!

I don't recall if there was much exposition about the witches in the original, but it was nice to get at least some more from that department.
The second half had me pretty entertained, I sat there with a big dumb smile on my face for the most part, especially during this. Makes me want to re-watch the original show.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Another question I have is what this show is going to be all about. A lot of people seem to be looking forward to it
Have you seen Kinmoza? I would approximate the tone to something like that, except the straight man is her brother so there's at least a guy in it.

The idea is that the main girl is secretly a lazy otaku when she's at her house but a beautiful perfect girl outside.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
No I have not. I'm guessing this is some sort of comedy, aside from that I can't say much else

Its a hijinks comedy with moe girls who suffer from insane troll logic, although most of the time Umaru herself isn't actually a moe girl, she's a chibi blob.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom