• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SpyParty Early-Access Beta Sign-up

Ferrio said:
Wow that game looks rough.

That's good, means I can play it on my laptop! Ha. (Easily signing up for this, it sounds very interesting.)

EDIT: Shit, paid beta. Hmmm, never mind then, I'll wait.

Chuck

Still without luck
I still think it's strange that this game has been made playable quite a lot at shows when it continues to look pre-pre-pre-alpha.

Struct09

Ferrio said:

The dev has said that the art style will be implemented a bit later, he's focusing on the core gameplay right now.

Not sure if I want to pay $15 to beta test, but may as well since the full game is included with the price. Hmm...

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Ferrio said:
It's one of those games you have to see in person. It drew a massive crowd at PAX last year.

It's basically a complex series of mind games in the context of an ops/counter-ops mission. There should be a manual floating around the net somewhere.

n8

Unconfirmed Member
It was fun to play this earlier this year with a friend at PAX East.

I don't know if it's worth it right now. A lot of what it's got going for is the live audience that comes with it.

Ferrio said:

It's all programmer art at the moment. Which, for programmer art, it isn't bad. Trust me.

Anyway, the concept is unique enough that I'm down for $15. Sounds like it has a good variety of gameplay with just the early beta, and you get the full game when it comes out.

"It will consist of three maps (think: party rooms), six missions ("Bug Ambassador, Contact Double Agent, Transfer Microfilm, Swap Statue, Seduce Target, and Inspect Statues. Two more are half done, Poison Drink and Steal Plans"), three game types ("Call Your Shot, where the Spy has to complete N missions and the Sniper knows which ones (the missions and N depend on the map and skill levels), Subset, where the Spy has to complete N of M missions chosen in advance, and the Sniper only knows the M missions, and Any Subset, which is like Subset, but where the Spy can pick the missions opportunistically as he or she plays"), and 20 or so characters ("all the ugly prototype art everyone loves to hate.") There will be a lobby for text-chatting and primitive matchmaking, with more traditional matchmaking services being added as the beta continues."

If you haven't played this, or don't know someone who has, i can understand the "wow it looks rough comment".

That being said, this is one of the raddest games out there. It's utterly unique, intense, complex, crazy, hilarious, fun and addictive. Having played and having watched people play it, I can comfortably recommend it to everyone that loves games.

Don't let the early programmer art fool you - this is an amazingly genius game that everyone should play.

StuBurns said:
Looks like two sims duct-taped together.

hahahaha nice one

I'll throw Chris Hecker fifteen dollars. The game looks cool, he seems like a smart dude and he's responsible for one the funniest phrases this generation.

Suairyu

Banned
Prediction: this game is going to be rough for spies to begin with as they have to invest the hours in learning how to mimic the AI. Afterwards, it will get rough for snipers.

Hopefully getting rough for snipers means the difficulty balances out perfectly for both sides.

Baywatch

Neo Member
Anyone who is bashing Farmville should conversly be supporting indie developers by purchasing this beta. ^^

Been waiting for this game and Monaco to come out for a while now.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
angelfly said:
$15 for a beta? I blame minecraft for this catching on. The game looks interesting but $15 kills my interest.
Publishers are too risk averse to throw backing on a unique and unproven concept at such an early stage so Chris Hecker doesn't have a whole lot of funding options available to him. I'd say that money spent at this point would go farther than money spent after launch, because he'll be using it to contract out the work needed to round the title out.

The price might be easier to reconcile if you consider it to be $5 for the game as is and $10 to tighten up the graphics on level 3.

D2M15

DAFFY DEUS EGGS
ChuckNoLuck said:
I still think it's strange that this game has been made playable quite a lot at shows when it continues to look pre-pre-pre-alpha.

Because he's more concerned with how people respond to the gameplay (as it turns out: amazingly well) than its visuals.

Wok

The sign-up for the SpyParty beta is here: http://www.spyparty.com/beta-sign-up/

The cost is $15 and you will receive the full game upon release.

probably my most anticipated indie game now that Frozen Synapse is just about released (5/26)

Sorry to post in this old thread. I have been playing Frozen Synapse, and I enjoy it. Since SpyParty is similar in some sense, I have a question to ask about the game, and this is the most relevant thread for this.

I have been monitoring the development of SpyParty for a long time, but I only signed up for the beta this year, because I was not sure I would pay as soon as I would get an invite, as was suggested on the beta sign-up page. About fifteen thousand invites were sent, and one thousand people paid for the game, so not everyone was as rigorous as I was. People who are going to receive the next beta invites signed up after 2011-05-10 14:00:13 CDT, still far from my 2012 sign-up.

I am looking for someone on GAF who has access to the beta. What's your opinion about the game?

TxdoHawk

Looks like another wave of invites went out this week. I just got an email yesterday. Had completely forgotten this was an "opportunity to pay for early beta access" kind of deal, but I'll bite once my work week gets a little less crazy.

One of the above posters hit the nail on the head: I'd rather pay now for beta access and a full indie game later, if it means more genuinely good indie gaming and less free to play energy-based social media garbage in the future.

I created this thread over a year ago and still haven't gotten an invite. I actually went on the site a few days ago to make sure that I had actually registered.

Wok

I created this thread over a year ago and still haven't gotten an invite. I actually went on the site a few days ago to make sure that I had actually registered.

I got lucky with the invite, although I could have signed up day one, but was not sure at that time whether I would spend $15 if I received the email, and so I had been waiting until this year to sign up.

If you read the blog, there should be a mass invite this year.

SOME-MIST

I've been waiting about a year for my beta invite too! but no luck so far :(
I've been following the facebook too hoping to see massive groups of invites go out.

Wok

1346090654-spyparty-allchars-gallery-post.jpg

The graphics will change in the long term.

There is a dedicated thread here.

A year, five months, and fourteen days after I made this thread, I finally get an invite... and I have no video game money right now

Looks like the beta is finally going up live. Should be up by June 7th apparently. Don't got the cash flow atm to spend $50 so I'm going to go with the $15 option.

Been looking forward to this for years ever since I first read about it.

Top Bottom