• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix 1st Production Department Premiere Thread: [Some Trailers]

the guy everyone says looks like Alan Rickman actually reminds me more of an older Ed Quinn (from the SyFy show EUREKA).

1imput.jpg

game looks amazing, though. Really looking forward to hearing more about XIII-2, as well.

Kagari said:
You mean the one with Noctis and Stella? I thought it actually looked a little worse than in the ACC video. It's clearly missing effects.

If anything there are effects added...better lighting and textures...the environment definitely looked blander before...I think it is a clear upgrade.

I am not really sure how it looks 'early in production'. Looks like it is pretty much there to me, with some tweeking needed to the lighting... The scene looked more sterile before. If it looked crisper it was due to the fact that it was in HD and this is youtubage

Zoe

Going back to this now that we have a clearer trailer.

Ellis Kim said:
Its not bad. The problem is that they're trying to pass all of the characters off as being in an Italy-esque setting. The problem is the stigma that a lot of Japanese artists suffer from of making characters look asian. Advent Children kind of stands out in this regard, versus any of Capcom's efforts.

While there may be European influences, they are clearly in an Asian city. There are Japanese signs all over the place which could have just as easily been done in a Western or some made up language.

StuBurns

Banned
Shadow780 said:
I never even got to the stage where he cast Instant Death on me, I had to fight him again to see what's it about. Was I grinding too much?
Maybe just too god darn good.

I died again, I'm just going to watch the ending on YouTube, fuck it.

EDIT: Dreadful, and the song is horrific.

Zoe said:
Going back to this now that we have a clearer trailer.

While there may be European influences, they are clearly in an Asian city. There are Japanese signs all over the place which could have just as easily been done in a Western or some made up language.

That's true.

Nomura always said the main city is modeled after Tokyo but the rest of the world resembles Italy.

And about the old guy in the trailer, was he using Noctis' engine sword?

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
For as blurry as that video is, I was actually smiling as I watched the trailer. I don't think I smiled very much for XIII. This game has so much style and class, it's already surpassed XIII.

I'm assuming the guy with the beard is the King/his dad.

Also, the District 9-style visuals around the city looked great. Versus continues to remind me of Ergo Proxy. I can't believe we have to wait for 2012. :|

Edit: There's no GIF of the Bayonetta sky dive? :p

StuBurns

Banned
jett said:
The sequel to FFXIII will come out first than Versus. That's kind of mindblowing.
I wouldn't say mindblowing, X-2 came about three years before XII, they started development at the same time but SE have been a development mess since the merger.

Squeenix is right up there with Valve when it comes to developing schedule for games. FF XIII-2 is a surprise just like L4D2 and it came out well before the announced HL2: Episode 3 (versus 13 in our case). Whatever Squeenix.

jett

D-Member
StuBurns said:
I wouldn't say mindblowing, X-2 came about three years before XII, they started development at the same time but SE have been a development mess since the merger.

Kagari said:
One will be using recycled assets, the other won't.

Hmm these are both true.

jett said:
The sequel to FFXIII will come out first than Versus. That's kind of mindblowing.

In a way but don't forget they also help out with FFXIII and it won't surprise me if they helping out with FFXIII -2 also .
Also i see SE pushing Versus back so they can have something for next year .

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
I don't think it's mindblowing as much as it is annoying. :p Damn cursed XIII holding my Versus hostage!

untitled-34sds.gif

I actually decided to make a GIF.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Is anyone else not feeling so amazed by the gameplay? What happened to Zero Shift combat badassery? Also the weapons sound lack umph and at the risk of getting mobbed by everyone here, I wasn't liking the animations being used in combat, like they just seem weak. Doesn't help that I just came off of playing Bayonetta.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Plywood said:
Is anyone else not feeling so amazed by the gameplay? What happened to Zero Shift combat badassery? Also the weapons sound lack umph and at the risk of getting mobbed by everyone here, I wasn't liking the animations being used in combat, like they just seem weak. Doesn't help that I just came off of playing Bayonetta.

You do realize the footage is still early and filled with placeholders, right? Also, zero shift is still in, you can see it in some scenes.

StuBurns

Banned
Kagari said:
Because it's been stated in interviews. I can't remember the exact one, but through 2006 and 2007 was still pre-production.
Makes sense, they probably started with a near complete engine from the XIII development then.

Plywood said:
Bayo is a different beast entirely, it's just a character action game. The same way Fallout 3's shooting can't compete with a dedicated shooter. The engine's demands are very different. I think even in this early stage the animation work is great, the transition aren't Uncharted level, the fluidity isn't Bayo level, but I would never expect them to be. I think it looks utterly incredible for what it's promising to be.

Talon

Plywood said:
Eh, I don't think we're at a point in the gaming industry where we can expect action game levels of feedback from an ARPG.

A good comparison would be Mass Effect 2. They tried to make the combat feel more satisfying by making the combat aspects more 1-to-1. Even still, it wasn't going to compare to, say, Gears in terms of the visceral feedback and precision. That's just not what Bioware's wheelhouse.

As long as it doesn't feel as floaty as Kingdom Hearts, which tried to reciprocate strikes with clanking noises, it should be fine.

Plywood said:

Looks just like KH if you ask me.

Most of the flashy moves have to be acquired as you level up. Fight with a stock Sora and he will also seem slow and kind of powerless.

Elios83

Kagari said:
One will be using recycled assets, the other won't.

I don't think it will be so easy to recycle things with FFXIII-2, at least not like they did with FFX-2.
With FFX-2 it was easy because the setting was 100% the same but this time.........the game will probably take place on Pulse which won't be a deserted wild world, but necessarily more civilized.
The linear corridor-like nature of FFXIII made the environments really dependent on the specific situations of the FFXIII story.
And if they're serious about addressing the issues of the first game, we'll probably see more fully explorable open areas and at least a big city where all the Coccoon people gathered after their landing on Pulse.

Fact is that Versus XIII has been through a development hell lasted a few years......and it's pretty much visible from today's footage.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Elios83 said:
I don't think it will be so easy to recycle things with FFXIII-2, at least not like they did with FFX-2.
With FFX-2 it was easy because the setting was 100% the same but this time.........the game will probably take place on Pulse which won't be a deserted wild world, but necessarily more civilized.
The linear corridor-like nature of FFXIII made the environments really dependent on the specific situations of the FFXIII story.
And if they're serious about addressing the issues of the first game, we'll probably see more full explorable areas and at least a big city where all the Coccoon people gathered after their landing on Pulse.

Fact is that Versus XIII has been through a development hell lasted a few years......and it's pretty much visible from today's footage.

The main issue with Versus was that the team was scattered to help finish FFXIII. Only within the last year has development picked up speed.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Kagari said:
You do realize the footage is still early and filled with placeholders, right? Also, zero shift is still in, you can see it in some scenes.
Well I hope it's improved much more since then and yes I've seen the Zero Shift and it didn't look that grand, I expected something above or on the level of ZoE's zero shift.

Boney said:
So what were they doing in the meantime? Is it the same team as Birth by Sleep?

Some of the team was helping on XIII and other members were getting a handle on the PS3 hardware. Nomura said that he didn't want to begin actual development until the Crystal Tools were completed.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Plywood said:
Well I hope it's improved much more since then and yes I've seen the Zero Shift and it didn't look that grand, I expected something above or on the level of ZoE's zero shift.

Nomura even said there has been improvements since this footage was cut, and with the game more than a year off they have plenty of time to work things out.

Elios83

Kagari said:
The main issue with Versus was that the team was scattered to help finish FFXIII. Only within the last year has development picked up speed.

Even worse is that development truly started after the Crystal Tools were finished. The game has probably less than 2 years of real development time at this point although it was announced 5 years ago.
Probably a lot of things have been tried and scrapped and many directions for the game have been experimented with the team losing a lot of time.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
H_Prestige said:
Looks just like KH if you ask me.

Most of the flashy moves have to be acquired as you level up. Fight with a stock Sora and he will also seem slow and kind of powerless.
It's giving me both a KH and Crisis Core kinda vibe, I just hate how there seems to be a delay in between actions in some of the clips but it could just be the way the animation is.
Kagari said:
Nomura even said there has been improvements since this footage was cut, and with the game more than a year off they have plenty of time to work things out.
Okay cool.

SolidSnakex said:
Not really since Versus hasn't been in development for as long as many people think.

It was announced in fucking 2006 and it probably is going to release in Q1 2013. It was announced before the PS3 was released and may be released after the PS4 is released.

Bebpo

Banned
The thing is the gameplay was locked down years ago and kh3d just began devolpment. There a real risk when you take 6 years to make a game that the gameplay concepts that were fresh then will be dated by the time of release.

I expect good combat on the level of kh2++ but I'm not going to be surprised if bbs and 3d trounce it.

Zoe

badcrumble said:
Hrm.

I wonder if these beings
Lindzei and Etro
will be mentioned more in Versus... certainly the former was only mentioned in the Analects in FFXIII, and the latter wasn't mentioned at all, IIRC.

The latter was mentioned. She had a big role.

Top Bottom