• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix 1st Production Department Premiere Thread: [Some Trailers]

Yoboman

You know what Versus XIII reminds me of? The secret ending to Kingdom Hearts 1. That thing looked amazing, dark, moody, and wasn't really at all what KH2 became. Probably due to wanting to keep KH a little light hearted.

imtehman

Banned
Bebpo said:
The thing is the gameplay was locked down years ago and kh3d just began devolpment. There a real risk when you take 6 years to make a game that the gameplay concepts that were fresh then will be dated by the time of release.

I expect good combat on the level of kh2++ but I'm not going to be surprised if bbs and 3d trounce it.

it's unfortunate that the combat will go the route of kingdom hearts, i would liked to have controlled noctis's sidekicks. I could live with that so long as there is some semblance of rpg in this action rpg (is it an action-rpg?)

imtehman said:
it's unfortunate that the combat will go the route of kingdom hearts, i would liked to have controlled noctis's sidekicks. I could live with that so long as there is some semblance of rpg in this action rpg (is it an action-rpg?)

It looks like you can judging from the video. The dude with the gun seems controllable.

Kagari said:
The main issue with Versus was that the team was scattered to help finish FFXIII. Only within the last year has development picked up speed.

It's seems there was a lot of experimenting with what the game was actually going to be for a while, specifically regarding the world map. From what's been shown it looks like the originally planned giant-character-on-world-map similar to the PSOne games, has become big expansive proportionate fields a la FFXI/XII.

There seems to have been a fair amount of that with FFXIII as well. I'm pretty sure I remember reading something from the FFXIII team that it was making the demo that got them to finally nail down the batte system. With XIII-2 the PR has said it'll be an evolved version of XIII's system, rather than an overhaul like X -> X-2. I'm imagining mostly minor tweaks and probably less time spent experimenting.

imtehman said:
There's footage in the trailer of gameplay as his sidekicks.

ItWasMeantToBe19 said:
It was announced in fucking 2006 and it probably is going to release in Q1 2013. It was announced before the PS3 was released and may be released after the PS4 is released.

They announced it way too early, and the Crystal Tools obviously took a lot longer to complete than they were expecting. I'm sure that they've learned their lesson when it comes to announcing games that aren't even in development at the time.

Seda

Teknoman said:
Still hoping for actual towns and an actual overworld plus some sort of airship (private jet?)

Considering the turn around for this game -- especially because this is Square Enix we're talking about (Likely will be released stateside in about a year), and going by previous direct sequels (FFX-2), I expect a lot of the maps are going to be recycled.

StuBurns

Banned
Yoboman said:
You know what Versus XIII reminds me of? The secret ending to Kingdom Hearts 1. That thing looked amazing, dark, moody, and wasn't really at all what KH2 became. Probably due to wanting to keep KH a little light hearted.
Just watched it, it basically is the first Versus trailer, wow.

Zoe

Seda said:
Considering the turn around for this game -- especially because this is Square Enix we're talking about (Likely will be released stateside in about a year), and going by previous direct sequels (FFX-2), I expect a lot of the maps are going to be recycled.

Talking about Versus, not XIII-2

Bebpo

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
They announced it way too early, and the Crystal Tools obviously took a lot longer to complete than they were expecting. I'm sure that they've learned their lesson when it comes to announcing games that aren't even in development at the time.

Look, the staff that finished KH2 in 2005 has not released a game since then and won't until 2012 most likely when Versus launches.

Were they moved around at times to help out on other projects like XIII? Yeah. Does that excuse them from spending 6 years on a single project (not to mention delaying KH3 this whole time)? Not really no.

Versus may end up good. God, I hope it does. But when you look at the track records of every other troubled development that spiraled out of control in Japan this gen and the results it does not give much hope. It's one disaster after another (MGS4, FFXIII, GT5). It seems as if you can't control your project and keep it on course timewise, the result is a mess. I really hope that Versus & The Last Guardian are not the next victims of problematic Japan HD development this gen.

Ikael

Holy freaking crap @ ff Versus trailer. THIS is what ffXV should be. Slap the Birth by Sleep combat system on it and we might have a GOTY in our hands gentlemen.

Please don't let this be an exercise of style without substance like ff8 was

StuBurns

Banned
Bebpo said:
Look, the staff that finished KH2 in 2005 has not released a game since then and won't until 2012 most likely when Versus launches.

Were they moved around at times to help out on other projects like XIII? Yeah. Does that excuse them from spending 6 years on a single project (not to mention delaying KH3 this whole time)? Not really no.

Versus may end up good. God, I hope it does. But when you look at the track records of every other troubled development that spiraled out of control in Japan this gen and the results it does not give much hope. It's one disaster after another (MGS4, FFXIII, GT5). It seems as if you can't control your project and keep it on course timewise, the result is a mess. I really hope that Versus & The Last Guardian are not the next victims of problematic Japan HD development this gen.
There were people working on Versus from 2003, the same time FFXIII went into development.

If the staff have been contributing to other games, I don't see the issue. A long pre-production then focused development can end up very well, look at BioShock for example, you get something wonderfully designed on a conceptual level, then you send in an army to build it over a shorter period of time.

MGS4 was in development for four years, and it wouldn't have been any better no matter what. The issues with that game are a matter of design not time or money. Kojima loves poorly paced gimmicky misuse of wonderful gameplay and disgusting amounts of non-interactivity.

FFXIII isn't great, but it's poorness has been greatly overestimated. It's because people hadn't actually played X for eight years and have since either moved on from the genre, or to better games in the genre, Persona notably. FF didn't change all that much, the players changed.

GT5, if there wasn't GT4 content causing inconsistent quality would have been hailed as masterful. That's just another poor design decision.

And there is no way The Last Guardian won't be amazing, Ico took four years which at the time was insane, and it was the greatest game ever made.

Versus is taking an unfortunate amount of time, but given the dog shit quality of JRPGs this generation, there is no one doing it any better any quicker. It might literally take this long to make a progressive HD JRPG, no one else is doing it so there really isn't a yard stick for comparison.

DMeisterJ

Banned
So SE will have been able to pump out two XIII games while they've still no date for vsXIII... I mean, I kinda thought we'd see it late this year, early next year, but not with XIII-2 hitting in that timeframe. :/

Oh well, at least I have XIII-2 to survive me...

Seda

I still argue that there are significant differences between FFX and FFXIII. And yes I've played FFX in the last year.

shuyin_

Banned
@Bebpo: The Last Guardian can't be in the same category. Long development cycles are a staple of Team ICO. It's normality to them, not a sign of troubled development :)

edit: ICO started as a PS One game and ended up a PS2 game

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
Versus is shaping up to be my kind of current gen squenix project. The level of ambition is just about right. It's still early, but even now, the game seems to offer a lot more gameplay variety, exploration and experimentation than XIII. The tone and setting are a fresh alternative as well.

Quality-wise, it's obviously not quite there yet, but by god, Nomura and crew are definitely on the right track :)

Bebpo said:
The thing is the gameplay was locked down years ago and kh3d just began devolpment. There a real risk when you take 6 years to make a game that the gameplay concepts that were fresh then will be dated by the time of release.

I expect good combat on the level of kh2++ but I'm not going to be surprised if bbs and 3d trounce it.

We do know this for sure?, I don't follow the game but for all we know, they could just implement the battle system just a few months ago, since this is the first time we see it in action ( I don't count the TGS video, since it barely show anything)

Clearly bipolar kid - also in black - with face-covering hair - in new black - in limo - in black (compensating much?) - stopped by a police/soldier - in black - before going through a toll booth - in bla-wtf a toll booth?. The gameplay looks cool, but my god why must every "HD" game be marred by the ever-growing trend of green/brown/grey piss filter covering EVERYTHING, it's not dark or edgy people, it's just a lazy and tired misuse of a minuscule color palette.

But the biggest question on my mind: "Why are these games called "Final Fantasy" again?"
Seems to be more synonymous with CGI exploitation and trumped up "emotional storytelling" these days than anything actually fantasy related.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Relaxed Muscle said:
We do know this for sure?, I don't follow the game but for all we know, they could just implement the battle system just a few months ago, since this is the first time we see it in action ( I don't count the TGS video, since it barely show anything)
Well it's an old build of the game, and it's actual development tune is about over a year now. I expect some major changes by the next time we see it.

Bebpo said:
It's one disaster after another (MGS4, FFXIII, GT5).

A bit harsh to call those games disasters I think.

Either way, I think Versus is going to be stellar. If only for the fact that I expect ALOT of content. I think they've taken so long because they are making a next gen, open world map game, possibly with towns and tons to explore. It's going to be a big long epic game. I hope it delivers on all it's promise.

VindicatorZ said:
A bit harsh to call those games disasters I think.

Especially since they're the 3 best selling Japanese games on HD consoles. So in the grand scheme of things they all paid off for each company.

Teknoman

Kagari said:
Already confirmed.

2v1kl6g.gif

EDIT: How was MGS4 a disaster? It looked/sounded great, played just fine, and even came with a decent multiplayer mode (albeit with a crappy konami key system).

StuBurns

Banned
Not only was MGS4 a considerable financial success, it's also the most critically acclaimed Japanese title on the HD consoles. I just checked Gamerankings, pretty interesting run down of Japanese games actually.

PS3
MGS4 93.56
Street Fighter 4 93.54
SSF4 9 91.23
Demon's Souls 89.88
Valkyria Chronicles 87.36

Street Fighter 4 93.17
SSF4 91.29
Bayonetta 89.80
Virtua Fighter 5 89.22
Resident Evil 5 86.19

In my head I'm a big fan of Japanese games, but I didn't like SF4 much, never touched SSF4, have never played Demon's Souls, didn't like the demo of VC, didn't buy Virtua Fighter and didn't like RE5.

I will go ahead and say that which shall not be said. Versus is looking at 2013 release at best in the western hemisphere. Thirteen Two is being released around in the 4th quarter of Fiscal Year 2011 (between december 2011 and march 2012). I don't think Square would release Versus, another FF game, just a few months after Thirteen Two.

CrunchyFrog said:
Clearly bipolar kid - also in black - with face-covering hair - in new black - in limo - in black (compensating much?) - stopped by a police/soldier - in black - before going through a toll booth - in bla-wtf a toll booth?. The gameplay looks cool, but my god why must every "HD" game be marred by the ever-growing trend of green/brown/grey piss filter covering EVERYTHING, it's not dark or edgy people, it's just a lazy and tired misuse of a minuscule color palette.

For a Final Fantasy game, this is very different and I love the decisions made thus far.

Its very sleek and stylish IMO. FFXIII was the colourful one.

Teknoman

I'm sure Versus will have it's colorful points. Final Fantasy VII started off with a similar color palette, then things started to have a little more variety further down the line.

StuBurns

Banned
I think the field stuff looked quite colourful, the greens were nice and lush, and the yellow dusk was nice. It's not glowing neon tubes over everything, but it looks realistically colourful.

CrunchyFrog said:

But the biggest question on my mind: "Why are these games called "Final Fantasy" again?"
Seems to be more synonymous with CGI exploitation and trumped up "emotional storytelling" these days than anything actually fantasy related.

FFXIII, also an HD game is probably the most colourful FF ever, it's pratically dayglo, but hey don't let that get in the way of your 'I'm so cool hating the HD whining'.

Also http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/fantasy

9. Also, fantasia. Literature . an imaginative or fanciful work, esp. one dealing with supernatural or unnatural events or characters: The stories of Poe are fantasies of horror.

Nothing there saying the wizards have to wear pointy hats and talk like they're in the Middle Ages.

StuBurns said:
I think the field stuff looked quite colourful, the greens were nice and lush, and the yellow dusk was nice. It's not glowing neon tubes over everything, but it looks realistically colourful.

The environments (both outdoor and indoor) looked a lot nicer than I expected. It's what I imagined a next gen FFXII to look like.

I also like how it seems to have a free camera system too.

jett

D-Member
I just realized what puts me off a bit about the combat. The animations are too long-winded and it seems that they can't be interrupted. They need to come out quicker. It really looks a lot like a Kingdom Hearts game.

jett said:
I just realized what puts me off a bit about the combat. The animations are too long-winded and it seems that they can't be interrupted. They need to come out quicker. It really looks a lot like a Kingdom Hearts game.
Considering the man in charge I don't see how anyone expected anything different. KH system with added depth. But of course it could be good, it's obviously early in development, much time to refine.

CrunchyFrog said:

Your rant makes no sense.

Have you played any FF game at all? They are all "fantasy", SE basically develop FFvs13 to have a FF game with a setting closer to the real world for a change.

Also, watch the whole trailer. There is enough color.
30mtrp1.gif

Besides, the game doesn't feature any piss filter even in the dark, colorless scenes in a... city ... at night...

SolidusDave said:
Besides, the game doesn't feature any piss filter even in the dark, colorless scenes in a... city ... at night...

Ironically the one game of the FNC actually doing something like he's whinging about is Type-0, the PSP non-HD game.

CrunchyFrog said:

StuBurns said:

either Crunchy is still watching the trailer or he skipped those scenes.

I dont know how he could have missed it if he saw it though. As bad as the muddy youtube compression was, the outdoor scenes were pretty vibrant.

jett

D-Member
-Pyromaniac- said:
Considering the man in charge I don't see how anyone expected anything different. KH system with added depth. But of course it could be good, it's obviously early in development, much time to refine.

It is what I was expecting to a point, but it's almost too much like it. But yeah the final game could be vastly different.

jett said:
It is what I was expecting to a point, but it's almost too much like it. But yeah the final game could be vastly different.

Well there is the zero shifting and Third Person Shooter etc that can bring an interesting mix up to the gameplay. I'd like more of the animations to be interruptable and throw in some blending for the run/walk cycles.

I really want to see how far they've taken the zero shifting.

Big One

Banned
If Versus allows you to jump off cliffs like Xenoblade's overworld does it has potential to be one of the best in years. Hopefully the team takes note that invisible walls suck.

Big One said:
If Versus allows you to jump off cliffs like Xenoblade's overworld does it has potential to be one of the best in years. Hopefully the team takes note that invisible walls suck.

It does. Shown in the last trailer.

Big One said:

Well we've seen Noctis jump off of a high ledge. I hope there is some decent platforming given that he has a double jump. I disliked the faux platforming in FFXIII. I'd love to platform and fight/zero shift my way to the top of a crumbled building to fight a boss.

Big One said:
Didn't watch the TGS trailer?

StuBurns

Banned
A little side note, as this is a decent place to ask I think, what was Jpn-GAFs response to Xenoblade? The trailers are pretty incredible.

Uh...someone explain to me what "zero shift combat" is. Is that like, teleporting?

Big One said:

It does...also I think this game, Xenoblade, and DQ X, and maybe Tales of Xillia will have the best overworlds this gen.

StuBurns said:
A little side note, as this is a decent place to ask I think, what was Jpn-GAFs response to Xenoblade? The trailers are pretty incredible.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=22100332&postcount=952

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=22377095&postcount=1051

Top Bottom