• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix 1st Production Department Premiere Thread: [Some Trailers]

Geneijin

Zoe said:
Hmm. The voice sounds a little low in my opinion.
Definitely sounds like Mamoru Miyano. He did voice Light in Death Note.

Kagari said:
99% certain it's him. I still can't place Noctis though.
Still don't think it could be Tatsuhisa Suzuki? duckroll mentioned Tomokazu Sugita's name being thrown around, but I don't hear him at all in Noct's voice.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
I got a different impressive from Versus, it looked like shit. Something about the gameplay just looked wrong and I can't quite pin my finger on it. If I could play it, I'd know instantly if there was a problem. But something just seems off between the animations and response.

Still looks a fold better than XIII, and the fact that it's the only massive budget JRPG out there still. I'm always down to at least give it try.

ZoddGutts

Won't be surprise if the woman in that battle armor suit is Stella. Would like to see the love interest of protagonist is actually one of villains in the game. We already saw from the previous trailer the two about to fight each other.

StuBurns

Banned
Bel Marduk said:
Thank you, dodgy AI seems like it would drive me mad, not sure I'll ever play it either way, an interesting looking game though.
shintoki said:
I got a different impressive from Versus, it looked like shit. Something about the gameplay just looked wrong and I can't quite pin my finger on it. If I could play it, I'd know instantly if there was a problem. But something just seems off between the animations and response.

Still looks a fold better than XIII, and the fact that it's the only massive budget JRPG out there still. I'm always down to at least give it try.
I'd say it, FFXIII-2 and DGX are the only major budget JRPGs. Gameplay wise I think it looks like I'd enjoy it more than any JRPG this generation.

ZoddGutts said:
Won't be surprise if the woman in that battle armor suit is Stella. Would like to see the love interest of protagonist is actually one of villains in the game. We already saw from the previous trailer the two about to fight each other.

I thought the same, then I thought it would be too obvious, then I thought "this is a SE plot" so yeah, I think it may be her.

Relaxed Muscle said:
I thought the same, then I thought it would be too obvious, then I thought "this is a SE plot" so yeah, I think it may be her.

You really think so, to me it seems the woman in the battle suit seemed far more aggressive/confident than Stella - who in one of the early trailers used only magic and looked upset when Noctis was ready to fight her.

StuBurns said:
Star crossed lovers perhaps.
indeed. obviously shakespeare is an inspiration for the story considering the quote from the past and the fact that they will probably develop feelings for each other but be on opposing sides of a war.

Relaxed Muscle said:

No way that's Stella.

Stella is supposed to have the same powers as Noctis.

Lumbering armor and retarded lances, that don't appear at will, aren't their style.

flintstryker said:
The combat in versus looks kinda lame so far.
Considering all that was seen were regular attacks and basic magic in an early development stage I'd say there is much left to see. Can't wait to see how summons will work with the real time system. Also don't know what Ex-Arts are.

Fimbulvetr said:
No way that's Stella.

Stella is supposed to have the same powers as Noctis.

Lumbering armor and retarded lances, that don't appear at will, aren't their style.

You're right, looking back they do have similar powers and Stella does carry a small sword nothing like the one used by the woman in the armour.

StuBurns

Banned
-Pyromaniac- said:
indeed. obviously shakespeare is an inspiration for the story considering the quote from the past and the fact that they will probably develop feelings for each other but be on opposing sides of a war.
The quote was from another play I believe, but yeah, I think Romeo and Juliet is a possible major influence. If I had to guess right now, I'm expecting this: (For all I know a lot is already know about the plot).

Noctis and Stella are both the next in-line for the head of two royal families.

Noctis has some close friends, he's something akin to a male Paris Hilton, swanning around with lots of cash, quite the liberated young man.

He's back at 'home', and meets Stella. SE are too scared to actually even suggest they're fucking, but they ask you to infer it.

Some incident takes place that kicks off some old stale bad blood between the families. Noctis and Stella both being 'special' in the magical sense are both responsible for being central to their families war efforts.

What I don't get really get is how you can realistically be expected to move around if Noctis is framed as famous, would be very strange, although it's kind of what happened with Rinoa, she just isn't treated as special until the reveal. FF8 was kind of the first time the series put greater focus on a love story than saving the world, relationships have been central to the games before, but not really to the degree of 8. 9 actually took it further by making that relationship not only the focus of the story, but also the motivation of the protagonist.

I think Noctis' major quest could possibly relate to finding a peaceful solution to the war in the hope it'll allow him to be with Stella. The Shakespeare quotes, the 'darker' tone and some of Nomura's comments make me think if nothing else, the game is going to have a sad ending, which would be nice I think.

StuBurns said:
SE are too scared to actually even suggest they're fucking, but they ask you to infer it.

I expect a FFVI sex cutscene, with both Noctis and Stella, going in circles in the air with glowing things on a black background.

teiresias

All of these games completely confuse me. Is Versus at all related story-wise to regular XIII? I thought at one point it was set in the distant past of Cocoon, but maybe I'm completely misguided. How about Type-0, is it related at all?

In any event, I thought the versus trailer looked interesting, and even Type-0 looked insteresting (though the Type-0 cinemas reminded me more of XII than anything else).

What are the battle systems like in those two? Are they both action RPGs?

I particularly think my excitement for Versus is half because I'm certainly attributing a level of opening and non-linearity to the game that, judging by how XIII turned out, is certain not to be there. It will be utterly boring to play a horrendously linear action RPG that's just dark, japanese-emo - particuarly if the characters are as un-engaging as XIII's characters were.

As much as I dislike XIII, I'm also willing to give XIII-2 a chance if it actually turns out to be interesting. The graphics engine is there to make a nice game if it would just be utilized for something that's . . . you know . . . not boring as hell.

StuBurns said:
The quote was from another play I believe, but yeah, I think Romeo and Juliet is a possible major influence. If I had to guess right now, I'm expecting this: (For all I know a lot is already know about the plot).

Noctis and Stella are both the next in-line for the head of two royal families.

Noctis has some close friends, he's something akin to a male Paris Hilton, swanning around with lots of cash, quite the liberated young man.

He's back at 'home', and meets Stella. SE are too scared to actually even suggest they're fucking, but they ask you to infer it.

Some incident takes place that kicks off some old stale bad blood between the families. Noctis and Stella both being 'special' in the magical sense are both responsible for being central to their families war efforts.

What I don't get really get is how you can realistically be expected to move around if Noctis is framed as famous, would be very strange, although it's kind of what happened with Rinoa, she just isn't treated as special until the reveal. FF8 was kind of the first time the series put greater focus on a love story than saving the world, relationships have been central to the games before, but not really to the degree of 8. 9 actually took it further by making that relationship not only the focus of the story, but also the motivation of the protagonist.

I think Noctis' major quest could possibly relate to finding a peaceful solution to the war in the hope it'll allow him to be with Stella. The Shakespeare quotes, the 'darker' tone and some of Nomura's comments make me think if nothing else, the game is going to have a sad ending, which would be nice I think.
for all we know the 2 families will be fighting it out but there will be a much bigger threat looming that wants the destruction of everything, lol. Not joking, totally think this is what it is.

teiresias said:
All of these games completely confuse me. Is Versus at all related story-wise to regular XIII? I thought at one point it was set in the distant past of Cocoon, but maybe I'm completely misguided.
The only thing Versus and 13 share are mythology (crystals and all that business).

Zoe

teiresias said:
All of these games completely confuse me. Is Versus at all related story-wise to regular XIII? I thought at one point it was set in the distant past of Cocoon, but maybe I'm completely misguided. How about Type-0, is it related at all?

Same mythology. That's all.

StuBurns

Banned
Relaxed Muscle said:
I expect a FFVI sex cutscene, with both Noctis and Stella, going in circles in the air with glowing things on a black background.
Imagine a Social Network like scene.

INT - STELLA'S ROOM

Stella in college sweat shirt and underpants. Noctis in bed.

NOCTIS I don't work
STELLA Oh, another drop out?
NOCTIS Not exactly, my dad is King Caelum
STELLA ... We're fucked

yencid said:
If i remember correctly the families are fighting for the last crystal or something.
last we heard:
Final Fantasy Versus XIII involves Noctis Lucis Caelum, the last heir to an isolated nation, which holds the last Crystal protected by kings. Its isolation is due to the city's resistance; to protect itself against invading heretics. The game has been said to initiate at the "clearing" of a long cold war between warring nations that revolved around the crystals.

Zoe

StuBurns said:

I don't think it will get to this point. The city's attacked the night they meet--also the same night they fight. From that point on it seems like Noctis & Co are on the run/on the search for something on the down low.

StuBurns

Banned
Zoe said:
I don't think it will get to this point. The city's attacked the night they meet--also the same night they fight. From that point on it seems like Noctis & Co are on the run/on the search for something on the down low.
How do you know? It could be based on what I've seen, but it doesn't seem that clear.

StuBurns said:

Believe it or not, I think this time S-E is trying to have a not-so-annoying main character. Noctis to me looks like Squall with 50% less emo. I don't think he will be "male Paris Hilton", the vibe I get from the trailers is Noctis feeling lots of responsibility and burden because of his position/family/whatever.

I really hope the English voice acting for Versus doesn't suck ass. FFXII had some great voice acting, whomever was responsible for that needs to jump on Versus.

StuBurns

Banned
Castor Krieg said:
Believe it or not, I think this time S-E is trying to have a not-so-annoying main character. Noctis to me looks like Squall with 50% less emo. I don't think he will be "male Paris Hilton", the vibe I get from the trailers is Noctis feeling lots of responsibility and burden because of his position/family/whatever.
But we also see him prancing around an Italian looking town square with friends rubbing his hair and stuff.

I got the impression he's moody and weighted after the war kicks off and he has to take up his responsibilities.

I just mean Paris Hilton as in a rich celebrity who has an extensive social life. Final Fantasy protagonists are typically socially inept obsessive loners.

I really hope the English voice acting for Versus doesn't suck ass. FFXII had some great voice acting, whomever was responsible for that needs to jump on Versus.

You need to have the script, story, characters, and setting to match. Versus won't sound like FFXII did in English. Think closer to Advent Children.

Which is probably still better than FFXIII at least.

Castor Krieg said:
Nomura has already stated that he will be different than all the other main characters in previous ones. Rather than being an emo hero who rises to the occasion like most often he is supposedly a more complex character, and the example nomura used is that he hides his shyness from stella (during the party scene in the trailer) with coolness/wittyness but he's more outgoing and personable with his main buddies. Something like that. He said he wont be "like a little boy". Paraphrasing as I don't remember exactly but yeah, should be a nice change of pace.

Hopefully we get the choice this time around between voice and subtitle options, it really shouldn't be that hard to implement and they seem content with it being a ps3 exculsive - for now at least - so they don't have to worry about two versions being identical.

Solid_Rain said:
Hopefully we get the choice this time around between voice and subtitle options, it really shouldn't be that hard to implement and they seem content with it being a ps3 exculsive - for now at least - so they don't have to worry about two versions being identical.

Are you kidding? This is the company that couple of years ago was surprised people in the US are watching anime with subtitles instead of English VO.

XIII didn't have horrible voice acting, just a mediocre script that you can't expect any VA to work with.

Castor Krieg said:
Are you kidding? This is the company that couple of years ago was surprised people in the US are watching anime with subtitles instead of English VO.

Wow I didn't know that, thats kind of depressing to be honest with their focus on trying to appeal to the west, I'm still hopeful though and it's not like I won't buy it either way.

Pachinko

Agito still looks interesting to me because I actually quite enjoyed Crisis core (in fact it's the only new square game I've liked in the last decade). I don't care that it's dropped the Fabula nova crystalis thing. Never meant much anyways.

Kingdom hearts looks the same as the last 5000000 entries in that series, mediocre overly licensed drivel for hardcore disney fans only.

Versus XIII , as always looks great technically. This game looks heinously expensive. Like I bet it's 70-90 million right now. Glad to see there IS a game in there somewhere but it's absurd that all the big games square makes can't be made faster. Were I a shareholder in them I would have long ago dropped all my money into something else. I mean seriously, no release date even though the game was announced 5! years ago ? By the time it's done they may as well delay it and release it on PS4.

Grisby

Fimbulvetr said:
XIII didn't have horrible voice acting, just a mediocre script that you can't expect any VA to work with.

I enjoyed most of the voices in FF13, but yeah, it was the script that awful. How can you give line direction to something like, "Moms are tough."

~Kinggi~

Banned
Grisby said:
I enjoyed most of the voices in FF13, but yeah, it was the script that awful. How can you give line direction to something like, "Moms are tough."
Im gonna go with the concept that the Final Fantasy series remains so incredibly Japanese that its almost impossible to localize these games in a manner that the West doesnt throw up in the mouth at.

FF 12 did it right i thought for what it was.

StuBurns

Banned
The VOs were okay outside of Vanille I think.

As for the script, I really can't understand what happened. Maybe SE Japan wouldn't allow the kind of localization it should have had. If you look at the database stuff, it's incredibly well written, succinct, informative, easy to consume, articulate. FFXIIIs dog shit script was not from lack of talent.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
~Kinggi~ said:
Im gonna go with the concept that the Final Fantasy series remains so incredibly Japanese that its almost impossible to localize these games in a manner that the West doesnt throw up in the mouth at.

FF 12 did it right i thought for what it was.

FF12's localization was one of Square's best.

Top Bottom