• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix announces "Bravely Default For The Sequel" for 3DS

Instro

Just a thought, but I wonder if Nintendo asked for some of these changes/fixes to be done for the western release, which is why we are seeing this re-release in Japan.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Just a thought, but I wonder if Nintendo asked for some of these changes/fixes to be done for the western release, which is why we are seeing this re-release in Japan.

I highly doubt this is the case. Considering when BD was announced for the west and when the development on this expansion version could've started, I don't think the timing quite matches. I could be wrong though.

tuffy

I highly doubt this is the case. Considering when BD was announced for the west and when the development on this expansion version could've started, I don't think the timing quite matches. I could be wrong though.
Considering the announcement was in early April, that gives about 8 months for changes that are mostly to the game engine. Unless the "new story events" involves a lot of new game assets, it seems plausible enough.

zroid

Banned
lool wat

well, this will be good news if the Western releases are based on this version. I kind of expect that's the explanation for the EU delay now

KiTA

If Square Enix's treatment of Dragon Quest Monsters Joker 2 is any basis, we won't get this expanded version.

zroid

Banned
"Bravely Default For The Sequel" That's the actual title? And it's not a mobile game or a game with Lightning and SE is still making it? Weird.

I hope this is the version they'll release in the West and not milk their consumers by making the additional content paid DLC.

Well at the very least we can be slightly confident it won't be day 1 DLC since Nintendo is publishing it. Generally speaking, they don't do stuff like that.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Considering the announcement was in early April, that gives about 8 months for changes that are mostly to the game engine. Unless the "new story events" involves a lot of new game assets, it seems plausible enough.

I guess. We'll have to see. Not sure why they initially announced the 2013 date for Europe if this was the case unless they were going for simul launch but a different distributor in west? Idk. This all sounds stupid.

Apparently this is still coming out in 2013 in Europe unless NoE made a mistake.

BSxHfY3IUAArDIC.jpg:large

https://twitter.com/NintendoUK/status/372751473924653056

Edit: Beaten lol.

Oxx

I was too lazy to link the image, so you win.

If nothing else, it looks like they are keeping the name.

Leaked in Jump.

- Dec 5 2013
- Retail: 4990yen
- Expansion digital download: 2900yen

Includes:
- New story events
- New controls for more comfortable play
- Auto-mode can make battles up to 4 times faster
- Difficulty options
- Save slots increased to 3
- Supports old save files

This is an expansion + re-release of Bravely Default. Not a sequel. Presumably the subtitle suggests that they're selling this to fund the sequel? Lol. Hopefully this is the version used for the US/EU release.
Don't you mean funding the iOS/browser sequel? Let's be real ducky, they'll probably bundle it with the mobile TWEWY sequel while they're at it.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Still no Dragoon class. Dammit, Square!

Valkyrie/Einherjar Class is the Dragoon class.

---------------

Dunno if this means anything but "Siliconera reached out to Nintendo to ask whether this is the version of the game they intend to publish in the west, or whether they will be releasing the original Bravely Default instead. The publisher declined to comment."

Yeah.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Is that expansion for digital download an add-on to the digital version of the game or the full game with the extra content? The former seems too expensive but the latter seems too cheap at a 2000 yen disparity with retail.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Is that expansion for digital download an add-on to the digital version of the game or the full game with the extra content? The former seems too expensive but the latter seems too cheap at a 2000 yen disparity with retail.

Seems like it's the expansion for those that have the original game unless it's buy the For the Sequel version to be able to use the expansion which would be ridiculous.

This could explain why the NA localization has taken so long. This is the version I want. I will not be happy if we don't get the upgraded version. I'll still buy it, but I won't be happy about it

fates

What exactly happened with Joker 2?

There were two versions of it, the vanilla Joker 2 followed by an expanded version called Joker 2 "Professional". Professional was released in Japan before we got Joker 2, but we still ended up getting the vanilla version.

Would not be surprised to see that happen here too, as I imagine localization work is already underway based off the original.

Busaiku

After Dragon Quest Monsters Joker 2 Professional, and the fact that Europe is getting it this year, I'm really doubtful that we're getting this version.
Unless Europe just gets screwed or something.

Soriku

lmao at the title. If the intent was "buy this to help fund the sequel" that's really sad. But at least there's no word of a mobile version of BD right now.

I hope this is the version we get in NA...

Javier

There were two versions of it, the vanilla Joker 2 followed by an expanded version called Joker 2 "Professional". Professional was released in Japan before we got Joker 2, but we still ended up getting the vanilla version.

Would not be surprised to see that happen here too, as I imagine localization work is already underway based off the original.
I see. Although even if we only get vanilla Bravely Default in the retail release, there's still the chance we may get the expansion as DLC (Joker 2 had no such option).

Oregano

Considering Bravely Default smashed expectations I don't think they need to release this to fund a sequel. Actually I bet if it hadn't done well they wouldn't even consider letting them release an expanded version.

Anyway I hope this is the localised version.

It's possible, but I suspect the primary inspiration for these changes was from that online survey SE conducted last year for what improvements fans wanted to see in a sequel. SE probably realized they could roll some of those improvements back into the original game and sell it again rather easily.

Dunno if this means anything but "Siliconera reached out to Nintendo to ask whether this is the version of the game they intend to publish in the west, or whether they will be releasing the original Bravely Default instead. The publisher declined to comment."

Yeah.
oOaeiDt.gif

I am getting a lot of use out of this gif

hongcha

I'll probably get this. I loved the JP version and sold it off awhile back after I finished it. I was just thinking of buying it again, so this is perfect.

Terra_Ex

Yeah, we're not getting this version. History repeats and in every case when the western audience finally gets the one game they've pleaded and begged for, japan gets an improved version around the same time (which we won't see.)

Top Bottom