• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix E3 Conference Thread: No One Signed Up To Make The Thread Edition

Why hath we forsaken Square?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Awesome content

Maybe because it didn't have that many people but it sounded like people didn't care about anything whereas I was super excited all the way through.

They need to hire someone else to host those conferences...like aisha tyler is doing for ubisoft.

Willy Wanka

my god this avatar owns
The conference was incredibly boring but the announcements and the games shown were actually pretty good. Those introductions were almost as bad as the EA stuff from yesterday though.

213372bu

Banned
Neogaf report card time:

Sony - A+ - Favorite and most anticipated games from decades all barraged in.
Square Enix - B+ -Great turnaround for SE, Western games + Jrpg resurgence. Yes please!
Bethesda - A -Fallout 4 and Doom was absolutely crazy! Only worry about the disalouge system for Fallout 4 tbh.
Ubisoft - B- - Overall, great showing. I am absolutely hyped for most of the games announced
Microsoft - B- - I didn't like the direction they went with Halo, as a fan since the original. But the conference was more than solid. Hyped for cuphead. Still think hololens was faked, will enjoy it when it works as presented.
Nintendo - F+ Worst conference I have ever seen that hasn't gone into ironically funny levels. The worst time to be a Nintendo fan. The mixture of puppets, Amiibo, and Super Mario Maker being "their thing" at Best Buy this year made me realize Nintendo is departing from my interests.
EA - C- - Saved by great games, this horrible presentation went on to resonate with me well. Mirror's Edge, Battlefront, Fifa, and GW2. I'll be on board when they release.

JesusSama

Neo Member
Yes, it was that bad. I gave it a D-, only cause of Xenoblade, Star Fox, and the Fire Emblem x game. The rest was ehhhh. If not for these titles they would have got an F- this year.

Extremely unfortunate. My best friend was looking forward to Nintendo's thing. But at least he was with me on hype about Sony's stuff.

I think it was a nice conference. Most of the stuff they presented seems interesting to me. Also LOL at that KH Mobile bait and switch where people in the crowd already went nuts. Hashimoto truly is the ultima troll. As for all conferences, my rating would go as follows:

Bethesda: 6/10
Microsoft: 8/10
EA: 5/10
Ubisoft 6/10
Sony: 10/10
Nintendo: 3/10
Square Enix: 8/10

This. Definitely my ranking as well.

Battlefront and ME were ok, everything else was shit. And Pele, omg...

But Hoopgawd
CHj26FXUcAAWxHz.jpg

Yes. What does it have to do with E3? What connection does Pele have to gaming?

I hear you loud and clear and agree to a point but sometimes for some people it sounds like if anything that is going on stage isn't related to a new game then its a waste of time which I don't agree with.

I thought it was nice they paid tributes to a legend.

Decent conference. 6/10

- Just Cause 3 looked like a lot of fun. No bullshit, just tear shit up.
- Nier 2 was a nice surprise for fans of the first one. The first game's in my backlog; I'll get to it someday...
- Kingdom Hearts 3 looked decent although I've never been into that franchise.
- The new Star Ocean looks rather poor.
- World of Final Fantasy...eh. Don't like the character artstyle.
- Hitman looked alright, but I've never been big on the franchise.
- Deus Ex: Mankind Divided was a bit underwhelming so far. Also, the presenters might take some heat for the "mechanical apartheid" stuff...
- Don't care about any of their mobile initiatives

There was too much talking and narration in the conference, resulting in the conference being too long. Conferences should be 60 minutes, tops. A better format for next year's E3 - show the game first with little or no narration. Then spend a minute concisely talking about it afterwards. Then move on to the next game. Trim the fat, keep things moving along.

And yeah, most of the presenters at these conferences, including S-E, aren't very good at public speaking. (Except Aisha [she's an actress after all], and a couple others.) Keep in mind though that like most tech companies...speaking in front of large audiences isn't really a strong suit of gaming companies. They only do that once or twice a year.

I was in tears when they announced Nier. I can't believe it. Surprises like these are why I love this industry. Platinum developing, directed by Yoko Taro, Keiichi Okabe returning, Akihiko Yoshida involved... never in my wildest dreams would I imagine such news! :')

Fangirling aside, I thought it was a damn good conference content wise. About the announcement at the end and no matter what becomes of project Setsuna, it's really great to see S-E embrace the traditional JRPG in the face of all this negativity surrounding Japan and videogames. I really, really hope Tokyo RPG Factory is a success. The fact that a big company like S-E is giving this a try gives me hope.

Wavebossa

I was in tears when they announced Nier. I can't believe it. Surprises like these are why I love this industry. Platinum developing, directed by Yoko Taro, Keiichi Okabe returning, Akihiko Yoshida involved... never in my wildest dreams would I imagine such news! :')

Fangirling aside, I thought it was a damn good conference content wise. About the announcement at the end and no matter what becomes of project Setsuna, it's really great to see S-E embrace the traditional JRPG in the face of all this negativity surrounding Japan and videogames. I really, really hope Tokyo RPG Factory is a success. The fact that a big company like S-E is giving this a try gives me hope.

Is NieR that good? worth playing? I keep hearing/seeing very mixed opinions on GAF about it

I think it was a nice conference. Most of the stuff they presented seems interesting to me. Also LOL at that KH Mobile bait and switch where people in the crowd already went nuts. Hashimoto truly is the ultima troll. As for all conferences, my rating would go as follows:

Bethesda: 6/10
Microsoft: 8/10
EA: 5/10
Ubisoft 6/10
Sony: 10/10
Nintendo: 3/10
Square Enix: 8/10

I like this one except for Bethesda. They deserve an 9 on my book.

Swass

Good show. The presentation was a bit rough, but they have a lot of games that I want. Good lineup, and a bit stronger on the Japanese side than I would have expected.

I'd rank 'em like this:

Sony: A+
Bethesda: B+
Square-Enix: B+
Nintendo: B-
Microsoft: B-
Ubisoft: C
EA: D

Way to good of a grade for Nintendo, but I like the rest of your grades.

LeonSPBR

Can anyone give me a quick rundown of what SE showed? Watched the first 2 minutes and then had to go meet a client.

Gameplay - Just Cause 3, KH3, Deus Ex, Star Ocean 5, Tomb Raider Go

Video - FF7R, World of FF, Project Setsuna, Nier 2.

Overall a pretty solid conference, recommend you to watch it.

Is NieR that good? worth playing? I keep hearing/seeing very mixed opinions on GAF about it

Absolutely. Mixed reception comes from the not-so-polished gameplay. But for everything else the game is outstanding (design-story-soundtrack-world).

Now with Platinum handling the gameplay for the second title... Good things might happen.

Hastati

Absolutely. Mixed reception comes from the not-so-polished gameplay. But for everything else the game is outstanding (design-story-soundtrack-world).

Now with Platinum handling the gameplay for the second title... Good things might happen.

The storytelling is truly great, and gets its fair share of praise here, but I just want to emphasize how phenomenal the soundtrack is. It's worth playing to hear the music alone.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I'm very surprised at the lack of Xbone from their Japanese titles. Seems like Japan sales are really affecting this decision.

Not sure if sarcastic.

I posted this earlier...

This is starting to feel like the PS2 era with all these Japanese games being reborn and being exclusive to the PS4.

I wonder if the 360 era paying for Japanese exclusives actually hurt the console industry in Japan for a while, and it appears they are rebounding like shades of pre-360?

I think some RPG exclusives MSFT purchased away from the PS3 platform last gen kinda hurt console gaming in Japan (Brand loyalty is HUGE there). Things seem to be retuning to form.

Illucio

Banned
My E3 Report Card:

Sony: A+
Microsoft: C+
Nintendo: F - - (That's a Double F minus)
Bethesda: A
Ubisoft: B
EA: F
Square Enix: B (Great content, hilariously bad presentation. Otherwise it would had been a A.)

Wagram

I don't think we fully realized how bad the FFXIV bomb was for SE. The amount of titles they have in the pipeline now is a farrrrrrrr cry from what they were doing back then. This is return to PS2 level era.

Omadahl

Banned

The mechanics and graphics are a bit "behind" and clumsy but the story is solid. One of the very few games I've ever replayed (granted, just the last hour) multiple times for all of the endings. The music is amazingly emotional as well.

Kule

It's worth playing for sure but it starts off very slow. It's just a full on crazy experience with an amazing OST. The game constantly flips genres going from action combat to bullet hell shooter and even has a RE style Manor dungeon with fixed camera perspective. There is also a text adventure at one point in the game. It's like frog fractions with a budget.

The ng+ is where it truly shines

Abdiel

I'm very surprised at the lack of Xbone from their Japanese titles. Seems like Japan sales are really affecting this decision.

It's more that their Western sales of those Japanese titles are terribad and not considered worthwhile. So rather than spending the dev resources and time, and being able to get resources from Sony for cheap, they can get it out to the primary source of their sales.

The split in the US for Type 0 was 80% or more in favor of the PS4. The de facto strongest market for the XB1. Elsewhere in the world it was over 90%.

Square, and other Japanese companies are going to most likely bypass the XB1 for most, if not all of their titles. KH3 and FF XV were announced for the XB1 with an assumption the system would be competing a lot closer to the PS4, as per Kagiri. They'd probably cancel those ports if they thought the backlash would be irrelevant.

Top Bottom